Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council 2019-2024

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Larbre34 wrote: »
    For the record, I'm very much in favour of safer routes to school and incentivising cycling. This proposal contains really good ideas to bring cyclists through low traffic areas and join up various facilities, but removing traffic lanes from key economic routes wasn't one of them.

If you don't have cycling on main routes, you are sending them around the world. See my thread on safe routes to DL and how crazy meandering even the best ones are. None of them is completely safe BTW, they all have stretches of cycling on the road with no lanes.

I needed to figure out another route today. It's 5.6 km if I drive but 7km if I cycle, again some parts are still on the road. Why are cyclists penalised so much? The vast majority of car trips are very short distance, that's exactly where cycling should be made more attractive not less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

From Cormac Devlin's email to constituents of 10 December:

"The proposed one-way system for Deansgrange Road will not proceed. Alternatives routes will be considered. 600 of 639 submissions were opposed or suggested alternatives"

6,430 referred to the number of submissions made for the whole list of pilot measures in various locations.

Also arising out of this consultation, the proposed closure of Avoca Avenue, Blackrock to through-traffic, will not proceed either.

However if you read the report neither are permanently off the table. The council have reserved the right to proceed with the original plans if the alternatives prove to be not suitable.
    Good summary below if you don't want to trawl through the entire report.

https://www.dlrcoco.ie/sites/default/files/atoms/files/submissions_and_executives_recommendations_-_summary_report.pdf

You're being churlish now because some of your crusade is hitting the rocks.
    What crusade?
    The reason you can separate the submission numbers (as Cormac himself did) as because they related to separate aspects of the overall proposal. And now some aspects are proceeding and others are not, so, quite factually, QED.
    I never said they can't separate the submission numbers. What I proved was that Cormac and you were being either ignorant, or misleading.

Again, you claimed 499 out of 6,431 = overwhelming.
    key economic routes wasn't one of them.
    Citation needed.

When Gareth corrected me, I immediately acknowledged my mistake.
    When you're corrected, you pretend it never happened or go on the attack. Quite frankly, we're all adults here so it'd be much appreciated if you would grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,842 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

strandroad wrote: »
    If you don't have cycling on main routes, you are sending them around the world. See my thread on safe routes to DL and how crazy meandering even the best ones are. None of them is completely safe BTW, they all have stretches of cycling on the road with no lanes.

I needed to figure out another route today. It's 5.6 km if I drive but 7km if I cycle, again some parts are still on the road. Why are cyclists penalised so much? The vast majority of car trips are very short distance, that's exactly where cycling should be made more attractive not less.

By coincidence to your moniker, I'm told by sources that the Government plan to intervene to cancel Dublin City Council's cycle lane trial on Strand Road, as a result of the Dublin Port emergency traffic management plan published last week, in advance of likely delays to traffic as a result of Brexit caused congestion in the Port.

This will mean a single traffic lane of the R131 won't now be removed to install a two-way cycle lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

By coincidence to your moniker, I'm told by sources that the Government plan to intervene to cancel Dublin City Council's cycle lane trial on Strand Road, as a result of the Dublin Port emergency traffic management plan published last week, in advance of likely delays to traffic as a result of Brexit caused congestion in the Port.

This will mean a single traffic lane of the R131 won't now be removed to install a two-way cycle lane.

Nice dig, wrong Strand Road.
    Nothing to say about my actual points I suppose?

• Advertisement

strandroad wrote: »
    Nice dig, wrong Strand Road.
    Nothing to say about my actual points I suppose?

No. I'm a cyclist myself and I take my own precautions for my own safety and then I take the most direct route.

It wasn't a dig, it was just something I thought you might be interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,494 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

No. I'm a cyclist myself

Yes indeed.

536244.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

the N31 was only added as one in 1994. Kind of around the time the decline in DL was setting in. And certainly around the time of a lot of local disquiet about traffic volumes. Perhaps the two were linked.

DL R co co came into being in 93/94, that was the catalyst for the decline of DL.

tabbey wrote: »
    DL R co co came into being in 93/94, that was the catalyst for the decline of DL.

Nothing to do with gigantic retail developments like Carrickmines and Dundrum Town Centre then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Nothing to do with gigantic retail developments like Carrickmines and Dundrum Town Centre then?

Yes the new regime authorized these developments.

• Advertisement

tabbey wrote: »
    Yes the new regime authorized these developments.

So you think that new shops and new developments should be blocked in order to protect the tired and dates businesses of Dun Laoghaire?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Carrickmines and Dundrum were authorized because DLR co. co. could see that thousands of their citizens were driving out of the county to shop and the council was missing out on millions in commercial rates. Having both of them beside (Carrickmines) or close to (Dundrum) the M50 was a bonus.

Tabbey talking utter rubbish. Take a look at the population increase in DLR County since 94, not to mention the increased spending power therein.

I don't absolve the Council of blame entirely , but a few major factors I see in the decline of DL are

° The population aged badly for about 20 years due to the property market, reducing the numbers of families and spending households.

° The above led to the closure of three major secondary schools and the Tech. This reduced a huge natural footfall you get from schools.

A new large primary school is on the way to the town, along with the new HSE primary care facility, the Harbour tech hub and a rumoured redevelopment of the Sussex Street district.

Only today, it was reported that the Naval Service are to procure two new fishery patrol ships to be based permanently in Dun Laoghaire in the new year.

DLs best days are ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

May 10, 2021 Councillor Hugh Lewis is no longer a member of People Before Profit following an internal disciplinary procedure. https://www.pbp.ie/a-statement-of-people-before-profit/ May 10, 2021

what happened here?

That photo is atleast 13 years out of date? and its not his home its his fathers home.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

• Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭ted1

If Hugh lives there it’s his home.

you don’t need to own a property for it to be your home.

also why focus on silly issues and not condem the attack ?

why revive a 3 year old lost with a 2 year old article ?

He doesn't live there. Which makes it even worse. https://www.irishtimes.com/politics/2023/07/18/rock-thrown-through-window-of-councillors-family-home-with-warning-to-stop-supporting-refugees/

Its a _very_ old photo.

When I read he was a Independent Councillor I looked to see if he was ever in a party as I vaguely remembered him to be a member of PBP, I searched his name and that he was kicked out of PBP for some unknown reason, so I thought I ask in the appropriate thread, its still not 2024 yet...

Advertisement