Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Seems like a good deal on firewood....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭vanti

any chance we can have a thread "Rathwood firewood - updates and status" and keep this for the actual bargains (if any)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,642 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

How many firewood threads do we really need ? There’s no bargains apart from Rathwood at the moment so there’s nothing else to post about

feel free to start your own rathwood thread if you feel that strongly

The internet isn’t for everyone

That's the pont this isn't a firewood thread at all it's purely turned into order statuses and delivery statuses for rathwood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

I got my rathwood delivery during the week. Pretty happy with it. About the same volume of wood that I got for €330 last year from TJ O'Mahony's. Only complaint is that there aren't as many thick pieces, many of them are quite narrow. Anyway, it will do me for the winter.

It’s a bargain alert for firewood and what tends to happen is people chat on a discussion forum when they aren’t posting bargains and some people find that information useful

you can always report the posts to moderator or just unfollow the thread if it’s that upsetting

• Advertisement

Did I say it was upsetting? No need to be passive aggressive I'm trying to be helpful for everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

You sound upset vanti, don't worry about everyone else, find a thread you enjoy, there's hundreds of them to choose from.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Quite like this one actually but I'm glad you care

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭mjp

Have to agree with Vanti. This over and back whinging bout delivery dates and order statuses for rathwood is getting ridiculous and clogging up the thread

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Lads, please stop the bickering...warnings will follow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

There isn't any other bargains out there at the moment bar Rathwood. I paid 400 Euros for a crate of Olive wood last year and it's the same this year. I know the quality is better than birch but still I vouched I'd never pay that much ever again. I see the odd offer up on facebook but don't know if they are repurable or not. I'm very careful about orderubg from facebook and donedeal especially as i got stung with wet wood dumped on my drive by cowboys a few years ago.

It’s hard to know who to trust these days and that’s why a forum like this is handy to let people know what the wood is like and delivery times etc, nothing worse than shelling out a few hundred quick and ending up with a pile of crap for the winter season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,925 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

There's only a handful of posts here on a busy day (maybe 10) but generally half that, maybe the quietest daily bargain thread on this forum.

It's the rathwood thread though not the firewood thread, it's the only place with a bargain.

It's helpful knowing this for me who's waiting on an order and there's very little whining in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭mun1

Using the 2m3 of monaghans oak i got for €519 delivered and it’s very good compared to the softwoods i was burning upto now. Well pleased

• Registered Users Posts: 22 davidkane8

So since we’re talking about Rathwood maybe I can tell you what a super experience I had

I ordered 2 x pallets on Sept 15 – now it was 50 / 50 whether I needed any this year as the log shed was nearly ¾ full but given the good deal – I took the plunge.

Now when I pressed the order button – everything seemed to work fine and I was happy enough until

THERE WAS NO CONFIRMATION!!!

So I sat there twiddling the moustache for a couple of days and decided I’d call them on the Monday – ready for a good old argy bargy

Well cool the jets – I rang a lovely young lady and she told me to look in my spam - wouldn’t you know it

There was the bould confirmation.

• Advertisement

So low and behold a few more days passed and I enquired about the status – no real dates as such

Another few days whistled by and the missus was giving me the dirty looks so I rang again for a status update

Well the same lovely girl – what a coincidence – answered the phone – and told me they were getting in stock shortly and should be with me in a few days – MIGHTY STUFF

So another week when by – and I thought – sure I’ll just enquire again – something to do while I was waiting for the paint to dry.

You guessed it – it was the same girl and she told the stock was now in and the courier would be in touch.

Love it 🤣

Next day around 9ish (strong southwest wind) the courier called – lovely fella and would be around the next day.

9am - Like a bat out of hell – there was the courier – 2 pallets ready to roll

Well I should have listened to herself – there was nayara hope of either pallet getting into the log store.

• Advertisement

Back on to rathwood to explain my mistake - i nearly had them on speeddial at this stage

Well now Rathwood are good as gold – they told me “no problem at all” we’ll sort it all out. Gave me my refund and now I know what you’re thinking

Yes I still payed the delivery fees but I’m not complaining as i underestimated the size of the pallets

And before I forget – Yup I tipped the courier (nice fella with a moustache and small kids)

Anyway moral of the story – Rathwood are mighty to deal with – but beware the size of the pallets – lot of timber for this price

So since all this debacle has started the missus is flying through the wood. The evenings are getting chilly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Seeing as this is the Rathwood thread, any idea why some of the individually bagged wood is cheaper than the crates? Is it the same stuff? Bags probably handier to load into my shed.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Lads please stop with the random crap talk. Warnings for whoever does it next

according to the website it is the same wood and they use a hand truck to bring it in so might be handy for someone that doesn't want to handle to wood

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Sonya4u

Hi @neilthefunkeone can I please ask what pallet it was that you ordered?

Thanks a million

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

He seems to have gone to ground, Ive asked same question a couple of times now also 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Sonya4u

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Anyone started burning the Rathwood birch yet? What's it like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭gooner99

Sounds like the Rathwood offering would be good for an open fire as it seems the logs are not too large. Can anyone please confirm this when they get their order? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭kil

My birch order is due to ship soon, I'll report back here once I receive it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

The logs are cut about 25cm long and are cut a bit smaller width wise than the last crate we got from another supplier. The firebox on our stove is tiny and these are far easier to fit in. The flip side is they do burn up a bit quicker obviously (birch tends to burn hotter and quicker that something like beech or oak anyway) but well worth the price. I bought the same cubic sized crate from another supplier last year for €370 and the rathwood one was a lot better packed out going by the number of round trips to the log store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭gooner99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

I have always burned oak. Would I notice if I changed to birch? Would I be disappointed with the difference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Yes. Big difference. Its not the difference in heat output so much (birch is less) but good dry birch burns much quicker than oak.

Wake me up when it's all over.

I tried Birch and beech and was horsing it into the fire non stop, stick with the oak it’s worth the extra few quid if you have it 👍🏻

• Advertisement
Advertisement