Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The USA

• 29-05-2020 8:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Indestructable

What a KIP of a country it is. That's all.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,781 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Wouldn't like to be a black man over there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

Bit big to dismiss as a kip, tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

It was always a kip but it’s worse now with the orange imbecile (I’m not allowed to call him by his correct title of retard apparently :rolleyes:) in charge. Until he’s removed the US is nothing but a joke without a punchline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭5555555555

Funny how so many of 'Americas a kip' posts are from people who have never set foot in the US.

5555555555 wrote: »
    Funny how so many of 'Americas a kip' posts are from people who have never set foot in the US.

You don’t need to step in a dog **** to know it’s dog **** do you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Been in it a few times. Its a strange place becoming even stranger. Social divisions are massive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

Been many times, lived in Canada. Disgusting country America is, no culture, so unfriendly, disgusting food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭5555555555

Blaze420 wrote: »
    You don’t need to step in a dog **** to know it’s dog **** do you?

You should take a trip over there. Walk around. Talk to people.

You should take a trip over there. Walk around. Talk to people.

I’ve been to NY on business, felt nothing for it or the people - its reputation is romanticised and unwarranted. Seeing the imbecile running it now I have no desire to go back, might be good for the overall country in the long run if they can shuffle Donald Dickhead off to a mental institution where he belongs.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Lyan

"Kip" is an odd way to describe the most prosperous nation in the world. What's your reasoning?

• Advertisement

Lyan wrote: »
    "Kip" is an odd way to describe the most prosperous nation in the world. What's your reasoning?

Prosperous....lol. A nation where black people die with cops knees on their throat for no reason, high schoolers get to worry more about being shot to death in class than what’s in their lunch box, a minor hospital stay can bankrupt you and the biggest ****ing retard on the planet is the president....sounds like an absolute utopia alright :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

You think that's a kip...you should go to Dublin !;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,507 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's the most unequal oddball place on the face of the earth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭moonlighting_1

Guy who predicted collapse of Russia made a similar claim now for America 2020

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Prosperity for the privileged. The social divide is terrifying and sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭StefanFal

It's a country in complete turmoil. Especially if you are a negro. Seems hopeless on all fronts right now.

@Blaze420

Of course it's not a perfect utopia. Such a thing is impossible. But you can't deny it's prosperity despite whatever flaws might tick you off. It will continue to lead the world economically and technologically for some time yet. And I believe those two areas are the most important in reducing suffering in the long term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Have you actually been there or lived there ?
    Or are you just being spoon fed opinions from the media ?

Blacks do make up a larger proportion of crime and even if you look in Ireland whenever some skanger is being arrested they're
    going to cry "Ah... you're breaking my arm etc...".
    But don't worry, Fianna Fail opened the floodgates of Africa in the Celtic Tiger years and we'll soon catch up.

I don't want to embark on an economic argument regarding the "prosperity for the privileged", but it's just untrue. It's an irrational opinion to be honest, one that has always come from resentment and lies from such resentment. The social divide is difficult with such a "melting pot" as the US is. But they have handled it well enough given the massive anti-segregation progress and crime reduction in the last few decades. Don't completely dismiss what the US is doing as wrong when you aren't looking at the bigger picture.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Thread moved to Current Affairs. Reminder to read the charter before posting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

It's a great place to visit for a holiday, even though the price of booze over there is shocking these days. Wouldn't like to live there though. Strange auld country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,781 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Guy who predicted collapse of Russia made a similar claim now for America 2020

Nostradamus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Been there at least 20 times in many different cities, east and west coast, plus 3 months J1. Probably spent a year in total there. Never had any issues in all that time. Love the place, would be happy to live there.

Have you actually been there or lived there ?
    Or are you just being spoon fed opinions from the media ?

No spoonfeeding required. Don't even want to turn this into a race debate, fact is that far too many people have literally nothing in America.

Tell us again how great it is from your holiday destination or the city you went to work in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Currently living there.
    Wouldn't call it a kip any more than any other country on the planet. Good and bad elements to it.
    Has an awful lot going for it if you are on the right side of the line whether that is in terms of ethnicity, income, education status etc but very difficult if you are disenfranchised in any way with respect to these elements.

I agree with others who say that the current status has been exacerbated greatly by the current leader. The two party system is partly responsible for this as voters are very entrenched it seems and I think very few actually change their mind but an election can be determined based simply on who could be bothered more to vote.

Worst thing I could say about the country is that right now I couldn't say with confidence that he will lose in November. If he is returned in November it is infinitely worse than him having won in the first place as now people would select him 'knowing' just what he brings to the table. And if he continues as President, the next 4 years will be jawdropping in terms of just how low he will bring the respect for the office before he takes off.

@Blaze420

Of course it's not a perfect utopia. Such a thing is impossible. But you can't deny it's prosperity despite whatever flaws might tick you off. It will continue to lead the world economically and technologically for some time yet. And I believe those two areas are the most important in reducing suffering in the long term.

Economically? Nope - seems to deprive companies of freedom to operate where they wish because “merica”, like Trumptard recently whinging about drugs being manufactured here but he wants them back in the US cos “merica”.

Technologically - hell no. South Korea and China are light years ahead of US tech and what they can do. The US is nothing but a dream seen through rose tinted glasses denying the reality that the vision is nothing but a withered old corpse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭Cody montana

I’m boycotting it till trump is removed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Far better place than uk China Russia etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Doesn't hold much interest for me. I doubt it's a ****hole though. All that flag waving and consumerism doesn't interest me. Also couldn't cope with the immigration getting there.

There is enough for me to see in Europe or Asia for a holiday.

Wouldn't call anywhere a ****hole unless I had been there. They have amazing national parks and scenery so somehow I doubt half a continent is a ****hole.

• Advertisement

Trump will shut down Twitter, disavow the WHO, lose 100k + plus to this pandemic, stifle legitimate voting in addition to all the other **** he did and will do.

Still, still he will most likely be re-elected or at least have millions upon millions vote for him. How is that right.

This is America.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

No spoonfeeding required. Don't even want to turn this into a race debate, fact is that far too many people have literally nothing in America.

The poor in America can still manage to have the latest fashions, cell phones and games consoles. They don't know what true poverty is.

If you can't make something of yourself in America [or any 1st World Country for that matter] than that's your fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

StefanFal wrote: »
    It's a country in complete turmoil. Especially if you are a negro. Seems hopeless on all fronts right now.

It's also the country that has achieved more for mankind than any other.

It's also vast geographically, beautiful and built up on a bigger scale than anywhere else.

People sometimes mention the lack of people with passports in the US but the reality is they don't need them. You can have a perfectly fulfilling life while never leaving the borders of the US.

What you see on the news is also a large distortion of the country, most of it is perfectly fine with great people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

You think that's a kip...you should go to Dublin !;)

Or Tipp town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Tasfasdf

Trump will shut down Twitter, disavow the WHO, lose 100k + plus to this pandemic, stifle legitimate voting in addition to all the other **** he did and will do.

Still, still he will most likely be re-elected or at least have millions upon millions vote for him. How is that right.

This is America.

All I can think of is the meme "REEEEEEE" when i see posts like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

They call it the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe in it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

...fact is that far too many people have literally nothing in America.

So if you were to compare America to Africa, or maybe parts of India or parts of South America... do you think they have "nothing" ?
    You really have to educate yourself, and not just from the media.
    Tell us again how great it is from your holiday destination or the city you went to work in.

Depends... middle class people in Ireland will work in middle class places in America. I lived in Virginia/DC for a while.
    Like any other major city, there's good and bad parts.

Capitalism will always divide the losers from the winners.

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Far better place than uk China Russia etc..

Yes, agreed. But is it better than France, Germany, the Scandinavian nations, Japan, South Korea, and plenty of others?

The US is nothing to strive for.

Tasfasdf wrote: »

So no response but a linguistic interpretation of a meme.....right.

They call it the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe in it

Yeah or like the “American dream” where your friend chokes you until you pass out, but a cop does it with his knee instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭GY_1980

Completely disagree. It’s easily the greatest country I’ve ever been. I’ve visited many of their cities and States. Hugely diverse place.

What experiences are you basing your opinion on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

i wouldn't live there unless i was very wealthy but it's far from a sh1t hole. A sh1t hole country couldn't have dominated the world for the last century.

Definitely. The majority of the deaths are in NY and Ca because the idiot Democrats like Cuomo, DeBlasio, Pelosi wanted to grand stand to "resist" Trump. The highest mortality rates are coming from Democrat states. Trump did everything he could for those states [Tells you that they're trying to get Cuomo to replace Biden since he went from praising Trump for his efforts in helping NY to towing party line and is now "orange Man Bad" again]

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    Definitely. The majority of the deaths are in NY and Ca because the idiot Democrats like Cuomo, DeBlasio, Pelosi wanted to grand stand to "resist" Trump. The highest mortality rates are coming from Democrat states. Trump did everything he could for those states [Tells you that they're trying to get Cuomo to replace Biden since he went from praising Trump for his efforts in helping NY to towing party line and is now "orange Man Bad" again]

I love seeing people who live in Ireland refer to democrats,Cuomo, Biden, “orange man bad”. Do you talk with a yank accent as well???

Okay that's fair enough. I actually once supported Trump, you won't believe that, but I did. He came in with a fresh mantra and ideas I would have supported at one time. He railed against SJWs I supported that and actually still do to an extent.

But things have changed, in the last few months he has been the most inept and useless leader anyone could imagine. Gaff after gaff, statement after statement with utter nonsense behind it.

I love seeing people who live in Ireland refer to democrats,Cuomo, Biden, “orange man bad”. Do you talk with a yank accent as well???

I lived in NY so I am very familiar with the US [more than the talking heads on here knocking it]

What? I'm not allowed to mention Democrats by Name? Cuomo is the Governor of Ny and Wilhelm "Scream" DiBlasio is the Mayor of NYC, Plus Nancy is the Speaker of the House. These are all verifiable facts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

The states with the highest mortality also have some of the highest population density, most tourism and commercial travel in to them.

That is much more significant than who is the governor of the state. Or maybe you can explain what Bill Lee did versus what Cuomo did which was so much more effective.

I lived in NY so I am very familiar with the US [more than the talking heads on here knocking it]

What? I'm not allowed to mention Democrats by Name? Cuomo is the Governor of Ny and Wilhelm "Scream" DiBlasio is the Mayor of NYC, Plus Nancy is the Speaker of the House. These are all verifiable facts.

I spent a bit of time in NY too but I’m Irish and have no desire to name drop democrats or whatever the **** else as it’s nothing to do with this country, same as I wouldn’t be dropping names like Bojo, Cummings etc if talking about the U.K like I’m some authority or invested in it.

Do you think people in the US talk about Ireland while dropping Leo, Mehole Martin etc in conversation? Like **** they do. It comes across as try hard bull****.

The states with the highest mortality also have some of the highest population density, most tourism and commercial travel in to them.

That is much more significant than who is the governor of the state. Or maybe you can explain what Bill Lee did versus what Cuomo did which was so much more effective.

Cuomo is in charge of the state. He dragged his feet with implementing quarantines and lockdowns. Plus he put Covid patients in nursing homes [then again the Irish Govt did the same thing] He knew NY had a Ventilator shortage and he still wasted billions of taxdollars instead of stockpiling them. Then when Trump sent Ventilators he put them in a storage unit so he could cry about how he's not getting any help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Nollog

I spent a bit of time in NY too but I’m Irish and have no desire to name drop democrats or whatever the **** else as it’s nothing to do with this country, same as I wouldn’t be dropping names like Bojo, Cummings etc if talking about the U.K like I’m some authority or invested in it.

Do you think people in the US talk about Ireland while dropping Leo, Mehole Martin etc in conversation? Like **** they do. It comes across as try hard bull****.

I've had conversations with people who do indeed name drop leo.

I also don't find it odd to discuss political leaders of a country when discussing a country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,943 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Checking passport for stamps now?

• Advertisement
Advertisement