Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walrus - Lassykk - The Reveal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

In 2nd place is
    Also Starring LeVar Burton
    with Tired Pony - Dead American Writers

Never heard this song before that I can remember but it's a quality track and I can't say I'm surprised given the history of ASLB's taste in music overlapping with mine. Got me on a first listen too which is rare enough for me. Usually takes a couple of listens before I get into a song - Making the top 3 for a song I'd never heard before in a One Hit Wonder selection was not what I expected so to have two is brilliant. I'm guessing by the number of views on the YouTube video this is under the radar for most people.

In 14th place is
    Sawduck
    with Phantom Planet - California

Knew the song but didn't know either the artist or the title (perhaps it is a bit obvious but never thought about it). It's a bit repetitive I'm afraid - I do like the general tune not with some of the other quality tracks in this selection I'm afraid it's low down the list.

Back soon to reveal the top and bottom places!

Right so, in the 15th and final position it's
    Irish Aris
    with Toni Basil - Mickey

I was hoping the first line of the song wouldn't be from the song I thought this was. Sadly it was :( I don't know why but it's just a song that grates on me. I'm afraid it was destined for bottom of the pile. I did listen to it three times, the same as every other song and it did grow on me a bit but not enough to move it off the bottom of the list

So top spot in round 1 of my Walrus goes to
    ShaneU
    with an absolute masterpiece - Temple of the Dog - Hunger Strike

This is just a piece of music magic for me. Combining Eddie Vedder with Chris Cornell is just perfection. This song is on my regular rotation and the only song that could have pushed it close would have been Wheatus - A Little Respect

• Advertisement

Playlist here for anyone interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZLfasMPOU4&list=PL5vKTA4ntssJE8o-Gz4Zs_g_YyLmQeu3I in the order they were received not in order of preference ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I'm going hungryyyyyyyy

Great song!

Also happy to see someone vote There She Goes, one of my favourite songs

Have to say the quality of nominations for this round were top notch. I would happily listen to 14 of the 15 on a regular basis.

I've listened to, but not ranked, round 2 and the quality is just as high. Will be a few days before I can do the next reveal and I won't be clashing with ASLB's SURLAW which is coming up soon so probably early next week and I might run off two rounds in quick succession.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,842 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Good list of songs. I'd consider Temple Of The Dog to be underrated too so nice to see them get mentioned and take the top spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Really strong round, not a single song there I didn't like. Would've struggled to rank those.
    lassykk wrote: »
    In 2nd place is
    Also Starring LeVar Burton
    with Tired Pony - Dead American Writers

Never heard this song before that I can remember but it's a quality track and I can't say I'm surprised given the history of ASLB's taste in music overlapping with mine. Got me on a first listen too which is rare enough for me. Usually takes a couple of listens before I get into a song - Making the top 3 for a song I'd never heard before in a One Hit Wonder selection was not what I expected so to have two is brilliant. I'm guessing by the number of views on the YouTube video this is under the radar for most people.

Delighted this got second place. It was really the only song I ever considered for this round and didn't give anything else much thought, which given how much I struggled whittling down the other rounds, is a miracle. ;)

For a bit of history, Gary Lightbody of Snow Patrol decided he wanted to release some Country/Americana styled songs and formed Tired Pony, which includes R.E.M.'s Peter Buck and Belle & Sebastian's Richard Colburn amongst others. They released two albums, but this was the only song that broke into the mainstream.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I thought my selection was a bit of a long shot. I know other people that find it annoying, but I just love it. If I recall correctly I nominated Mickey in the Greatest One Hit Wonder competition a few months back.

Rothko wrote: »
    Good list of songs. I'd consider Temple Of The Dog to be underrated too so nice to see them get mentioned and take the top spot.

Must admit I've been a Pearl Jam fan for probably 15 years but only discovered this song maybe 5 years ago. It's hugely underrated

Really strong round, not a single song there I didn't like. Would've struggled to rank those.

Delighted this got second place. It was really the only song I ever considered for this round and didn't give anything else much thought, which given how much I struggled whittling down the other rounds, is a miracle. ;)

For a bit of history, Gary Lightbody of Snow Patrol decided he wanted to release some Country/Americana styled songs and formed Tired Pony, which includes R.E.M.'s Peter Buck and Belle & Sebastian's Richard Colburn amongst others. They released two albums, but this was the only song that broke into the mainstream.

I didn't realise they had such famous members - I nearly always listen to music rather than watch videos so unless I've been to a gig of a band I wouldn't know what they look like at all.

Cracking song though and has gone on to my Spotify playlist which in fairness is a mixed bag at the best of times!

Irish Aris wrote: »
    I thought my selection was a bit of a long shot. I know other people that find it annoying, but I just love it. If I recall correctly I nominated Mickey in the Greatest One Hit Wonder competition a few months back.

In fairness it did grow on me and I wasn't skipping over it on the playlist but it's reminds a bit of the song "All About That Base" that the main line just isn't for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I didn't realise they had such famous members - I nearly always listen to music rather than watch videos so unless I've been to a gig of a band I wouldn't know what they look like at all.

Cracking song though and has gone on to my Spotify playlist which in fairness is a mixed bag at the best of times!

None of them appear in the music video so it probably wouldn't have helped much in fairness.
    The video is actor Joe Gilgun (This Is England, Misfits, Preacher, Brassic) just staring into the camera mouthing some of the words.

Once you've been told Gary Lightbody is the singer, its hard not to recognise his voice, but if I hadn't been told that, I doubt I would've put 2+2 together.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Rothko wrote: »

I would never have considered them to be a one hit wonder, maybe a one album wonder!!
    I never got around to entering a list for this Walrus, but I would have been using one of their songs as the acoustic cover

phatkev wrote: »
    I would never have considered them to be a one hit wonder, maybe a one album wonder!!
    I never got around to entering a list for this Walrus, but I would have been using one of their songs as the acoustic cover

I think Say Hello To Heaven was their only other single released and it did OK but I wasn't penalising anyone if they weren't true one hit wonders

None of them appear in the music video so it probably wouldn't have helped much in fairness.
    The video is actor Joe Gilgun (This Is England, Misfits, Preacher, Brassic) just staring into the camera mouthing some of the words.

Once you've been told Gary Lightbody is the singer, its hard not to recognise his voice, but if I hadn't been told that, I doubt I would've put 2+2 together.

Just listening to it now again and now that I know it's him it's unmistakable but without you telling me I'd likely never have worked it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

In 3rd place it is
    y0ssar1an22
    with The Shins - New Slang

Another completely new song to me that I'd never heard before. Deligthed to find another new track of this quality in the one hit wonder category. Probably shouldn't have been completely new to me considering there's 15m views on the video.

glad you enjoyed. i first came across it from this vid:

few new songs for me as well, so happy days! the rest of my choices? not sure, was a bit drunk :P. you've prob heard them all before!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

feck. missed it.

Happy with 5th.

I originally thought of stacey's mom, but for some strange reason i knew necro would submit that :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

In 13th place it's
    mustang shelly
    with Survivor - Eye of the Tiger

I don't know what it is about this song but I've never been a fan. I know it's a seriously famous track but I think it reminds me of nightclubs in my teens when all I wanted was a bit of Rage Against The Machine to mosh to and this was played instead! The lyrics are actually good and the tune's not half bad but something about it doesn't work for me. Embarrassingly for me, I actually always thought the lead vocalist was female! I was listening to this on YouTube and flicked back to search for the next track and got quite a surprise!
    Ah to fully appreciate eye of the tiger, you need to have been around for Rocky III.
    Rocky getting matchfit to take down Clubber Lang and avenge his coach.
    It also helps if you were in a boxing club at the time :)

cj maxx wrote: »
    Ah to fully appreciate eye of the tiger, you need to have been around for Rocky III.
    Rocky getting matchfit to take down Clubber Lang and avenge his coach.
    It also helps if you were in a boxing club at the time :)

Afraid I wasn't born when Rocky III came out ;)

Next stage of the reveal hopefully tomorrow or if not Wednesday morning.

Going to be instrumental next as I really wanted to listen to those songs as I knew I'd know very few by name.

Next stage of the reveal hopefully tomorrow or if not Wednesday morning.

Going to be instrumental next as I really wanted to listen to those songs as I knew I'd know very few by name.

Sorry folks work has gotten in the way here. I will try and get a chance to get this up later today or tomorrow morning. Apologies

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Sorry folks work has gotten in the way here. I will try and get a chance to get this up later today or tomorrow morning. Apologies

It's my birthday on Friday if you wanted to surprise me with my category with then?

Right I have 30 minutes so I'm going to try knock out at least half of the entries here in the instrumental section :)

Must say I really enjoyed this group because I didn't have many preconceptions about the songs before listening to them

In 8th place it's Necro with Ramin Djawadi - The Rains of Castamere

I enjoyed this but there were just other songs in the mix that scored more highly

In 9th place we have Also Starring LeVar Burton with Kila - Double Knuckle Shuffle

Really didn't like the start of this but around 1 minute 30 seconds in it grew on me and I started to enjoy it - Might have done better without as much repetitive flute at the start which isn't my favourite instrument

In 7th place it's Irish Aris with Ólafur Arnalds - Only the Winds

Nice Tune and I enjoyed it but it blended into the background a bit after a few listens

• Advertisement

In 10th place it's ShaneU with Claude Debussy - Arabesque no.1

I'm very fond of piano music but this didn't get going as much as I'd hoped

Advertisement