Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Justaburner

Farrell a bit of a curious option for a bench spot. He only plays in the center, right?

Would have thought Earls would be a better option. Covers centre, wings and FB. Odd (assuming hes not still injured).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Farrell Has covered Wing for Munster on a good few occasions and I believe he even started there in France at some point.
    Id Imagine he would go to wing and allow Keenan/Conway to move to FB if needed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Dropped from the Munster 23 for Nick McCarthy? Yeah...no.

I was thinking last season when Munster had Alby and Murray was about as effective as a bag of wet cement. Would have been better to rotate Alby and one of the young halfbacks. This season I would be happy to see him on the bench and Casey to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I was thinking last season when Munster had Alby and Murray was about as effective as a bag of wet cement. Would have been better to rotate Alby and one of the young halfbacks. This season I would be happy to see him on the bench and Casey to start.

If you watch Casey from Monday night, you can see the limitations his size causes. He's an excellent talent but I think we're a while away from Murray being benched.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Kelleher out is a huge blow, adds real physicality for Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

If you watch Casey from Monday night, you can see the limitations his size causes. He's an excellent talent but I think we're a while away from Murray being benched.

Is that based on that tackle attempt? Or was there more?

I dont buy into his size limitations. But I also think the added defensive benefits of Murray at scrum half is a big plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

The team is grand but the bench really isn't very good (at this level), I know injuries have seen to us but none of the bench forwards should really be making an Irish 23, Ross Byrne isn't going to come on and change a game, so I really think we need the starting XV to do a big job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭WhoamI2022

The team is grand but the bench really isn't very good (at this level), I know injuries have seen to us but none of the bench forwards should really be making an Irish 23, Ross Byrne isn't going to come on and change a game, so I really think we need the starting XV to do a big job.

Which 10 available is going to change a game? Unless Carbery is back fit we don't have that option. H Byrne isn't in the squad. Ross Byrne is very under rated by a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

WhoamI2022 wrote: »
    Which 10 available is going to change a game? Unless Carbery is back fit we don't have that option. H Byrne isn't in the squad. Ross Byrne is very under rated by a lot of people.

None of them are. Which is part of the reason the bench isn't very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭EachSmallChime

Not to re hash an old argument but I'd probably pick Jack Carty on the bench over Ross Byrne.

Byrne is a good, solid and reliable 10 (possibly a safer kicker, not sure the stats) but not the man you want to bring on when you're losing in the final quarter of a championship decider and need a spark.

If Sexton wasn't fit, I'd start Byrne first but I would have Carty on the bench ahead of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Anatom

Not to re hash an old argument but I'd probably pick Jack Carty on the bench over Ross Byrne.

Byrne is a good, solid and reliable 10 (possibly a safer kicker, not sure the stats) but not the man you want to bring on when you're losing in the final quarter of a championship decider and need a spark.

If Sexton wasn't fit, I'd start Byrne first but I would have Carty on the bench ahead of him.

So would I. He has done well when called on in the past.

Anatom wrote: »
    So would I. He has done well when called on in the past.

When has he done well?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭EachSmallChime

When has he done well?

I know the argument that you're going to start but if I was to answer literally, he came on as a sub and got the assist and conversion for the try in the final match of the 2019 6N against Wales. (I'm aware the game was over at that stage but that wasn't his fault)

To answer another way, in an Irish jersey, he's done as much as Ross Byrne has.

For me I think his style of play lends itself to being an effective impact sub, especially if we're losing.

I know the argument that you're going to start but if I was to answer literally, he came on as a sub and got the assist and conversion for the try in the final match of the 2019 6N against Wales. (I'm aware the game was over at that stage but that wasn't his fault)

To answer another way, in an Irish jersey, he's done as much as Ross Byrne has.

For me I think his style of play lends itself to being an effective impact sub, especially if we're losing.

I am not arguing with you. I don't remember him doing anything of note in an Irish jersey. He has more chance than other options like Byrne and Burns.

When he has come on as a sub, he has failed to be an effective sub, unless I am missing something? which of course I could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,674 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Kilcoyne is out for another 8 weeks. His rehab wasn't going well and another surgery was required. Had it today. Looks like Ed Byrne has a chance to stake a claim for the back up loose head role.

https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/status/1321512928911200258?s=19

Clegg wrote: »
    Kilcoyne is out for another 8 weeks. His rehab wasn't going well and another surgery was required. Had it today. Looks like Ed Byrne has a chance to stake a claim for the back up loose head role.

https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/status/1321512928911200258?s=19

Thats a pity

• Registered Users Posts: 11,130 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

France going into lockdown from Friday

Wonder will this impact the game

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Burkie1203 wrote: »

Was just about to post this. Haven't read anything about exemptions for sport

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

When has he done well?

Carty has started two games for Ireland. The first he was MOTM, and the other he set up both of Ireland's tries in pretty spectacular fashion.

He also has the stat that of the 11 tries Ireland have scored in his 300 odd minutes on the pitch, he created 7 of them. Of the 4 he didn't, 1 was a Stockdale solo run, 1 was a Marmion block down, 1 was a forward maul, and the other was a Ringrose team try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭D15er

Carty has started two games for Ireland. The first he was MOTM, and the other he set up both of Ireland's tries in pretty spectacular fashion.

The second was the loss to Japan and he didn't play well. He wasn't alone in that, of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Burkie1203 wrote: »

Women's France-Ireland game called off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Suggestion on Twitter that the men’s game is going ahead! Interestingly I read the IRFU offered to host the women’s game here before it was cancelled

Suggestion on Twitter that the men’s game is going ahead! Interestingly I read the IRFU offered to host the women’s game here before it was cancelled

Wouldn't make a difference where it's on if there's cases in the french camp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Wouldn't make a difference where it's on if there's cases in the french camp

True that yeah, was more referring to the restrictions in France

He also has the stat that of the 11 tries Ireland have scored in his 300 odd minutes on the pitch, he created 7 of them. Of the 4 he didn't, 1 was a Stockdale solo run, 1 was a Marmion block down, 1 was a forward maul, and the other was a Ringrose team try.

I think you might not be telling the whole truth :-) let’s leave it at that

• Subscribers Posts: 40,995 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The other way round.

It was due to take place in France, but because the Irish girls are amateurs they would have had to quarantine for two weeks after coming home... Many having to take unpaid leave.

The French girls offered to play the game in Ireland as a gesture, to stop the above from happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭leakyboots

sydthebeat wrote: »
    The other way round.

It was due to take place in France, but because the Irish girls are amateurs they would have had to quarantine for two weeks after coming home... Many having to take unpaid leave.

The French girls offered to play the game in Ireland as a gesture, to stop the above from happening.

Correct, a lovely sporting gesture by the French. Shame it can't go ahead now

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

sydthebeat wrote: »
    The other way round.

They may be amateur but they're still adults. Women, not girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Ah it wouldn’t be an Internet forum without political correctness eh. Maybe some of these players are gender fluid.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 40,995 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The girls refer to themselves as girls, so I've no problem also referring to them as girls.

And I've no idea why being an adult has any impact on their amateur status??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement