Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭WhoamI2022

aloooof wrote: »
    It was Farrell’s first game in change. Honestly think some people’s expectations at times are crazy levels.

Yes it was but it was also a very experienced team. It is not like Farrell wasn't part of the coaching structure prior to the game.

My point is that people are saying the 7 points at the end of the game yesterday could cost the championship. It didn't, other things will affect if they lose.

Not sure what you are talking about expectations been crazy? it was Scotland, at home. Are you saying Ireland wouldn't think they could get a bonus point victory at home v Scotland with nearly the exact same team as walked over them in Japan?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

WhoamI2022 wrote: »
    Yes it was but it was also a very experienced team. It is not like Farrell wasn't part of the coaching structure prior to the game.

My point is that people are saying the 7 points at the end of the game yesterday could cost the championship. It didn't, other things will affect if they lose.

Not sure what you are talking about expectations been crazy? it was Scotland, at home. Are you saying Ireland wouldn't think they could get a bonus point victory at home v Scotland with nearly the exact same team as walked over them in Japan?

So you're saying that if England win the 6N that it will be a missed BP against Scotland that costs us rather that the pasting we took at Twickenham?

OK..........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

Missed lift on POM that cost us 7 points and may cost us the championship if it goes to PD, scored a pushover try. Suppose that balances out. If he is our 2nd choice hooker, we are going to get emaciated by France. They bring on Camille Chat, we bring on Dave Heffernan. Do you not see the issue?

If Herring goes down in the warmup, we have to rely on him which I most certainly do not.

Yeah because our choices at substitute hooker will be what helps France emancipate Ireland

I also suspect you haven’t watched Heffernan play also.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

That’s not at all what I’m saying and it’s disingenuous to suggest so. Of course we are capable of it. But that’s distinct from expecting it.

If you think it’s reasonable to expect a bonus point victory in a managers first game in charge, when he was introducing changes to the game plan, with 5 changes to the starting 15 than vs NZ, then fair enough.

aloooof wrote: »
    That’s not at all what I’m saying and it’s disingenuous to suggest so. Of course we are capable of it. But that’s distinct from expecting it.

If you think it’s reasonable to expect a bonus point victory in a managers first game in charge, when he was introducing changes to the game plan, with 5 changes to the starting 15 than vs NZ, then fair enough.

Changes in Bold

V scotland WC
    Forwards
    • 1 Cian Healy
    • 2 Rory Best (Captain)
    • 3 Tadhg Furlong
    • 4 Iain Henderson
    • 5 James Ryan
    • 6 Peter O'Mahony
    • 7 Josh van der Flier
    • 8 CJ Stander
    Backs
    • 9 Conor Murray
    • 10 Jonathan Sexton
    • 11 Jacob Stockdale
    • 12 Bundee Aki
    • 13 Garry Ringrose
    • 14 Andrew Conway
    • 15 Jordan Larmour
    V Scotland 6 nations
    Forwards
    • 1 Cian Healy
    • 2 Rob Herring
    • 3 Tadhg Furlong
    • 4 Iain Henderson
    • 5 James Ryan
    • 6 CJ Stander
    • 7 Josh van der Flier
    • 8 Caelan Doris(who lasted 5 mins and replaced with POM)
    Backs
    • 9 Conor Murray
    • 10 Jonathan Sexton (Captain)
    • 11 Jacob Stockdale
    • 12 Bundee Aki
    • 13 Garry Ringrose
    • 14 Andrew Conway
    • 15 Jordan Larmour
    I'm not trying to start an argument. My original point stands, the 7 points at the end of the game yesterday is not as big of a swing as people are making out. If Ireland had scored a bonus point victory in the opening game we would just have to win in France. Even racking up more points v Scotland should have been expected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,167 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Didn't we also concede a try in the last play v Wales?

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Didn't we also concede a try in the last play v Wales?

The old memory is gone but google comes to rescue. In 81 min Tipuric scored and Halfpenny kicked over. Totally forgot that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I was happy to see how well Bealham went. Been left in the cold far too long

He had a mighty fine cameo.

With regards Healy he gave away the dumbest penalty you will see in a long time. I think it happened about 55 minutes and he was called of shortly afterwards. If his head isn’t able to make the correct decision at 55/60 minutes against Italy then he is probably a 50 minute player with his sub coming on at 50. Will be interesting to see how that position goes in the remainder of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

He had a mighty fine cameo.

With regards Healy he gave away the dumbest penalty you will see in a long time. I think it happened about 55 minutes and he was called of shortly afterwards. If his head isn’t able to make the correct decision at 55/60 minutes against Italy then he is probably a 50 minute player with his sub coming on at 50. Will be interesting to see how that position goes in the remainder of the season.

Healy has been giving away that exact penalty all his career.
    Can someone just take a plank of wood to him the next time he does it? Because another year of coaching will not change his behaviour when the ball is at the base of a ruck.

He’s been a great servant and to finally come back to peak form in 2018 was a great achievement.
    Time marches on and hopefully a viable LH alternative appears very soon.
    Do you remember that lad who packed down at LH for 80 mins in Paris in 2016?
    Seriously where did it all go wrong for Jack McGrath?

CMcsporty wrote: »

It’s an interesting one alright.

He had a stretch of truly excellent form for a couple of years during that period. Seems to have fallen off the pace lately for whatever reason...here’s hoping he makes a return to his best

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭D15er

CMcsporty wrote: »

Got an injury in November 2018 and has never looked the same since.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭BottleOfSmoke

...If he is our 2nd choice hooker, we are going to get emaciated by France...
    UAEguy2020 wrote: »
    Yeah because our choices at substitute hooker will be what helps France emancipate Ireland...

Genuinely curious as to what word you are both thinking of :pac:
    Decimated?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Genuinely curious as to what word you are both thinking of :pac:
    Decimated?
    I reckon they must mean eviscerate(d).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

evaporated? excoriated?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Ironic, that.

[With that post deletion, this post now looks really odd]

• Registered Users Posts: 11,167 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

Burkie1203 wrote: »

Someone has to tell Marmion that cornflakes are not for pi$$ing in!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

kuang1 wrote: »
    Someone has to tell Marmion that cornflakes are not for pi$$ing in!

Presume they need 3 fit scrum halves in camp at all times because of the 2 week bubble requirement. If one goes down they need 2 more fit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

Bazzo wrote: »
    Presume they need 3 fit scrum halves in camp at all times because of the 2 week bubble requirement. If one goes down they need 2 more fit

Dopey moment for me there... For some reason I thought Marmion wasn't already in camp when he wasn't on the teamsheet on Saturday.

Anyone know if Ben Betts ever went to Leicester?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Is it just me or since Farrell has taken over the Irish team has got a lot more sloppy, I dont mean knock ones etc as we are rightly trying to expand our game but I am talking about conceding silly needless penalties and other things that were the hallmark of the previous management that enabled us to compete with the very best

If we can expand our game but keep the sloppiness down then we may be able to get back to where we are as the back row is now looking exciting, no disrepect to POM but we are much better attacking force without him, if only Murray could add a bit more zip to our game but I guess he aint going to change now

In any case we wont beat France but looking for the likes of Doris, Ryan and Porter to really stand up and show that they can be leaders going forward. We have to persist with Stockdale at full back for the time being and I have a feeling he could have a huge running game against the French

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

kilns wrote: »
    Is it just me or since Farrell has taken over the Irish team has got a lot more sloppy, I dont mean knock ones etc as we are rightly trying to expand our game but I am talking about conceding silly needless penalties and other things that were the hallmark of the previous management that enabled us to compete with the very best

If we can expand our game but keep the sloppiness down then we may be able to get back to where we are as the back row is now looking exciting, no disrepect to POM but we are much better attacking force without him, if only Murray could add a bit more zip to our game but I guess he aint going to change now

In any case we wont beat France but looking for the likes of Doris, Ryan and Porter to really stand up and show that they can be leaders going forward. We have to persist with Stockdale at full back for the time being and I have a feeling he could have a huge running game against the French

It's just you...

In what world is 4 games an appropriate sample size to draw any conclusions? Especially in the current circumstances

• Subscribers Posts: 41,059 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

kilns wrote: »

pretty much everyone's penalty counts are increasing due to new interpretations.... so i wouldn't be looking at pen numbers as any real indicaator.

yes we gave away some silly pens, most notably Healys 'its out' incident.... but we have tended to give away a couple of head scratchers down through the years... i have memories of Healy, POM and Toner being susceptible to some unnecessary actions in a few games.

Are we looser, yes certainly.
    Is that a big problem in the climate of trying to change the way we play...... i dont think so.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Outrage could also be levelled that a non Irish player has taken the place of SH’s who are starting for their province, players who have played for Ireland at underage up along.

Let me be clear, because some people need it spelled out, I’ve no issue with JGP being given his shot, and he needs to be tied down as well, but the hypocrisy of the media in making a massive issue out of something a year ago that isn’t given any reference this year Is laughable.

While you mention perception it can be perceived that Kleyn over toner was an issue because it was a Munster player over a Leinster player, but that doesn’t exist in this case because it’s a leinster player over a Connacht player or a leinster player over a Munster player, and also a leinster player over a leinster player.

It could be that people recognise the quality of JGP and how he has achieved the call-up on merit while only people with a keen eye for that kind of thing recognise Kleyn as anything other than a big lump with no particular skill.

In reality the Italy game will not cost Ireland the championship, the opening game of the 6 nations v Scotland is the bigger issue. We should be expecting a bonus point victory at home v Scotland. If not at least putting up a decent points win.

Being skittled by England yet again is by far the biggest issue as we don't seem to have any plan other than letting it happen and trying to chase back the deficit over the other games.

evaporated? excoriated?

emasculated?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

emasculated?

Excommunicated?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,006 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Chapeau, BottleOfSmoke. That cheered me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

Quiz Q:

Who was the last scrumhalf actually born in each province to play for Ireland?

Munster

(Cannot be Stringer or Murray)

Leinster

Ulster

Connacht

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,059 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Quiz Q:

Who was the last scrumhalf actually born in each province to play for Ireland?

Munster

Leinster

Ulster

Connacht

Munster = TOL?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement