Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Seems like a good deal on firewood....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

How you getting on with the birch?

I got some oak from them and I'm unhappy with it. It's exceptionally hard to light and you can easily put out a solid bed of embers by putting a large block on it.

I know oak is hard to get going but this stuff takes the biscuit. Spanish oak perhaps?

Post edited by RainInSummer on

Still not exactly cheap but it beats the €350 they were looking for it:

https://tjomahony.ie/kiln-dried-beech-firewood-log-crate-450kg-88beech450.html

Post edited by RainInSummer on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭Kilteragh

Is that with Free Delivery (which it seems to be)? If so it's a pretty good deal. Stakelums have it for the same price but are looking for €50 delivery!

Not sure tbh, I'm only over the hill from one of their depots so I always got delivery for a tenner. Above a certain price it was always free now I think of it, so a firm 'maybe' from me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭ablelocks

by 5c? 😀

i assume it was cheaper when you posted....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

I got the pallet of oak from Rathwood.

I ordered it with a long wait which suited, Driver called when delivering I wasnt home he even moved a few bits and pieces out of the way to put the pallet where I wanted based in Galway the Courier was Langans.

Very happy with the wood lights easy and burns for a long time with very little ash remnants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭frash

I have the very occasional open fire and have run out of logs

Don't think I'm that bothered by kiln dried hardwood

Does this seem like a good price for air dried @ €125?

Based in Dun Laoghaire in south Dublin if it makes any difference

For reference I am getting a tonne bag of ~20% moisture larch for €70 delivered from a local lad (Sunny South East). That seems on the high side but I couldn't say with certainty given I don't know pricing in your area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,374 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Yeah it does seem a very high price for what it is. I got two of those bags filled with a mix of Larch and Spruce delivered from a local guy for 130 euro.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

That’s expensive in my opinion, my last bag of softwood was €80 dropped off in cork from a local guy on done deal

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭Fishdoodle

Rathwood Order 30th October - Oak pallet

A friend of mine ordered and had a courier ring out of the blue “this is the courier…I have your order here”. Two crates of oak - he dropped them at the gate of her house in rural Galway. That was last Friday. Was strange that he didn’t say from which courier company he was from and no docket on the crates. I helped move the wood to her garage - Took 7/8 wheelbarrow runs per crate. We used the empty crates sideways and restocked the logs in them. They’re nice logs but it’s a bit nerve wracking not to know when delivery is coming.

I ordered a crate for Dublin the same time. Still hasn’t arrived but expect before the weekend. Hope the courier can move the pallet into a garage!

Lasr year I got a pallet from done deal (was posted on boards). Could select the delivery date and time -Way more straightforward (unfortunately the company stopped trading logs this year).

Conclusion- Rathwood, good value but the delivery/time aspect is a hassle.

Thanks for the 2 replies on the air dried softwood - will skip that one as too dear

If anyone has a number (or a link preferably) for someone who would deliver to Dun Laoghaire then I'll take a PM

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭Fishdoodle

Boyles would deliver there free. https://www.boylessolidfuels.ie/product-category/kiln-dried-logs/ For your price range 10 bags for €95 oak/ash/birch. Would do the job for occasional fire. I’d avoid softwood -waste of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

One of my colleagues had the exact same experience on Friday he lives outside the city too, he didnt even get a phone call. I would say that is down to the individual driver rather than the company

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Got Rathwood to deliver bags of blocks to my place in the South. Not sure about the wood yet, but the delivery seemed faultless I must say. Maybe it is different for pallets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭Treppen

Am I crazy considering Lidl?

I got a load from Finglas fuels and there's a fair bit of bark and thin blocks. Price was 'ok' for Dublin city.

But I keep passing the Lidl bags on a pallet (€5.79 each//). And thinking 40 bags would have been far better. There's a nice size consistency and burn rate to them too as I bought a few bags before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

I was about to mention that Aldi have hardwood bags for €6.99. Considering softwood bags are atleast €6 and a bag of hardwood logs in woodies are €10, might be worth a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭5500

Just re the Aldi bags, I bought a couple to try out and whilst they seemed good and dry they weren't burning great, checked the others with a moisture meter and they were around 26/28%. It may have just been a batch that got wet even though they were dry, but just bear it in mind before buying a heap of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 BizTalker

Hi, I know it's an old thread, but just to clarify this, the wood in the crate is Olive wood, unfortunately the suppliers/manufacturer's batch contained some pallets with trunks/root system. One of these pallets was dispatched in error to Pistachio and upon customer's complaint they had been offered full refund by Ecologs.ie. The customer did not want to return the pallet (return at no cost) as they acknowledged in this thread, and instead opted to accept 50% discount of the purchase price and keep the product. Ecologs.ie has listened and communicated openly with the customer all along and rectified the issue as per customers requirements.

Post edited by BizTalker on

• Registered Users Posts: 44 BizTalker

An old thread, but just to clear few facts, Ecologs.ie offered to collect the pallet free of charge and refund the order in full, this was unacceptable and inconvenient for the customer to put out the pallet with the product in the front of their property for the couriers to collect, and instead the customer agreed to take 50% discount/refund off the purchase price and keep the product.

delete

Post edited by frash on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,882 ✭✭✭SteM

Got this https://www.rathwood.com/cp/hardwood_firewood_1m_400kg_kiln_dried_logs_pallet/15011

for €195 back in October using their easy pay thingy as I didn't need wood at the time. The last payment was 3rd December and it was delivered on the 6th. I've just unpacked it into the log store and I've got to say it's rubbish. At least 30% of it is like large piecrs of kindling, certainly not like any logs I've bought in the past. I'll burn it over the winter but will not be buying from them in the future no matter how cheap they are.

That’s the same size they have in the photo isn’t it ? Looks like it’s designed for a small stove

We have a small stove in our living room, these pieces would be small even in our small stove. Even my wife, who just knows that wood appears in the pile beside the stove but doesn't question how it gets there, commented that the pieces were tiny when I was bringing them through. I felt like I was in some bizzare challange in squid games, carry sticks from a to b.

• Advertisement

You should complain but when you do maybe dont say you’ve stacked them

I would tell them the wood is not fit for purpose and you are not happy at all because they won’t last in the stove

I think they will send more wood or offer you a partial refund

Yeah, I complained to them already. It is what it is, I just wanted to let people here know. Maybe others will be luckier than me.

Stupid question, but if they are sold by weight or cubic capacity, does if matter what size the pieces are.

The bags we got were smaller than I might have expected, nothing to write home about, but it was good and dry birch.

Smaller pieces burn faster.

Yes I usually separate small from big for this reason, small ones are great for starting fires

• Advertisement

Rathwood have lower prices today. So went with another bulk order.

It does burn fast, but at those prices I couldn't refuse, and I was fairly impressed with how well they delivered the last batch a few weeks ago.

I've found my purchase from them to be a false economy tbh.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

The oak burns much faster than expected. Almost double the amount of logs going into the stove vs TJ O'Mahoneys beech logs I got for the last two years.

from my experience beech is denser and tends to burn hotter and longer than oak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

I’m burning through the 400kg of birch from Rathwood at an awful rate. And we have a very small stove that we tend to only keep ticking over.

As already mentioned, the pieces are ridiculously small on average. I wouldn’t buy it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,374 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

It's designed to leave as many empty gaps as possible in the crate.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭BLUEYK

Anyone buy the netted bags from Rathwood? Thinking of ordering the 60 * 13 kg bags for e349. E5.82 a bag. Better offers elswhere or will I just be wasting money? Not sold on the pallets reading the feedback here.

That is what I went for. It does burn very fast, they are not big blocks.

But it is good and dry and I think I'd get 3/4 months out of it for 350 notes delivered. I decided to go for it and not think about wood again until next autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭LBF21

400kg pallet has been fine for me. I am mixing with coal though.

• Advertisement

I am using Stove Coal from EcoGlow. The smokeless ovoids won't flame up so much, and so the Rathwood birch sitting on a bed of it is a reasonable combination. For now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Sono

ordered a pallet of ash from Monahans for €319 back in October, rang today and same pallet is now €379, some increase.

I’m debating what to do now, still have a small amount left and the wood was excellent that I got but the price increase is very annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭Greengrass53

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Each to their own. I find adding blocks to a base of smokeless ovoids gives me extra heat quickly on a cold night. Putting in extra coal doesn't give as much extra heat and the effect is slower.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭LBF21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

In general and from past experience I would stay well away from any firewood sold by Aldi, Lidl and petrol stations because it is all softwood and it burns too quickly and gives very little heat. Ive lit fires with it before at 8pm and you've ran out of logs at 10.30pm and the room gets cold so the heating has to go on, a waste of time. Ive also been caught out by damp wood from Aldi before and since then have seen an Aldi with an entire pallet of firewood sitting getting splashed by rain outside their shop.

Dunnes sell hardwood which is much better but also a lot more expensive, about 10 euro a bag at this point when it used to be 7 euro in winter of 2022.

On moisture meters Id bought one in Aldi last year which stopped working about 9 months later. Brought it back with receipt but they said as it was past 6 months since purchase I had to ring up some UK number to get a refund. Of course no one ever answered that number. So when they were on sale again last week I bought another one with the intention of swapping them out and getting a refund on the first one immediately. But now it turns out that moisture meter no.2 doesnt work either. So now Ive two broken units (Aldi brand called Ferrex) and I wont be buying one from there again.

Echo the above, steer well clear of Aldi/lidl/petrol stations for fuel, often left out in the rain and absolutely awful to light, pure shite.

Anyone ever buy logs from Finglas Fuels? Appreciate any feedback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭paulieeye

Same here, absolutely pissing through it. And it hasnt even been that cold!

Gonna grab a 100kg of Oak or Ash to mix it up.

Anyone got a good place to get that?

Advertisement