Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Noelmcgov28

Great win for Cavan. Cavan were bossing the 1st half but the 2nd half they were afraid to go past the halfway line.

Poorest I seen Monaghan I don't think they took the lead at any stage of the match.

Down/Armagh in the semi final. Massive chance for Cavan to get to their first final in a long long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,560 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Cavan with a great chance of reaching the USFC final,which would be their main goal,easier side of the draw. Mon look like a team on the downward spiral,not what i'd consider a shock,more a mild surprise. Cavan still lacking the killer instinct

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Half time in the Connacht semi final Sligo 0-3 Galway 0-5. Fair play to Sligo giving a far better account of themselves against Galway than they did last year. Liam Silke Galway's top scorer from play with 2 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,357 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Watching the live hurling, and no mention of any other scores (mostly football of course) from today's non-televised football games. Bad form, I know every hurling game is the best in the whole world ever, and football is some type of neandathal bore fest, but a little bit of balance please...... TBW they did have the score of the Dublin/Wexford game.... Hurling of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Watching the live hurling, and no mention of any other scores (mostly football of course) from today's non-televised football games. Bad form, I know every hurling game is the best in the whole world ever, and football is some type of neandathal bore fest, but a little bit of balance please.

There needs to be a whole lot better thinking behind the rights from the GAA than just "Here's everything RTE, do whatever you like".

• Advertisement

Full time Sligo 0-7 Galway 3-11. Those two Galway goals in a minute was key. Injury time 3rd goal. Galway will have home advantage for the Connacht final on June 16th.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Extra time in Newry after it looked like Armagh had it in the bag, 5 points up with 3 minutes of normal time left. This would be a sore one to lose for McGeeney

Extra time in Newry after it looked like Armagh had it in the bag, 5 points up with 3 minutes of normal time left. This would be a sore one to lose for McGeeney

He's stealing a living in that job so maybe the best thing for them in the long run would be a loss and him getting the road.

He's stealing a living in that job so maybe the best thing for them in the long run would be a loss and him getting the road.

As much as I dislike the man, he's had limited resources to work with in his tenure with Armagh. Even coinciding with Crossmaglen's worst team in living memory.

As much as I dislike the man, he's had limited resources to work with in his tenure with Armagh. Even coinciding with Crossmaglen's worst team in living memory.

He's had more talent than a lot of managers. A lot of managers who wouldn't have lasted half the time with a record like his.

• Advertisement

He's had more talent than a lot of managers. A lot of managers who wouldn't have lasted half the time with a record like his.

Disagree given how far Armagh had fallen down the pecking order when he took over. He's been a disaster in Ulster, but a respectable record in the qualifiers has probably kept him in the job until now. A loss today though, and it would be very difficult to see him staying beyond this year, bar the unlikely scenario where they make the Super 8's

Armagh win after extra time. 2-17 to 3-13. Deferred coverage on bbc 2 ni at 7pm.

I'm not up with the Armagh standard at present, but it must be said Kildare still haven't recovered to the level he had them at, and there was many running down his record with them.

That Down red was ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

12 week ban for McGeeney after his shyte on full time😂😂😂😂😂

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Why is everyone writing off Monaghan so easily? Social Media/message forums don't be half full of recency effect!

Be worth looking at last year's thread to see the reaction after the Fermanagh game. Very similar I'm guessing

Interestingly in the last 3 years, the All Ireland finalists (except Dublin) all lost in their own province before the final. And Monaghan themselves weren't far away last year.

I wouldn't be writing anyone's obituary until they're actually eliminated

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭C__MC

jr86 wrote: »
    Why is everyone writing off Monaghan so easily? Social Media/message forums don't be half full of recency effect!

Be worth looking at last year's thread to see the reaction after the Fermanagh game. Very similar I'm guessing

Interestingly in the last 3 years, the All Ireland finalists (except Dublin) all lost in their own province before the final. And Monaghan themselves weren't far away last year.

I wouldn't be writing anyone's obituary until they're actually eliminated

The problem is what Monaghan will show up. They are very inconsistent. A game v Derry, down or even tipp is a tough draw for them. They have injuries and a lot of there bigger players have played 5 straight years of division 1 straight through to championship. Very hard to sustain that.

Yet a kind draw like last year could rejuvenate them. It allowed them rotate the panel for 3 games and they got there shot in the super eights as they where fresh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

C__MC wrote: »
    The problem is what Monaghan will show up. They are very inconsistent. A game v Derry, down or even tipp is a tough draw for them. They have injuries and a lot of there bigger players have played 5 straight years of division 1 straight through to championship. Very hard to sustain that.

Yet a kind draw like last year could rejuvenate them. It allowed them rotate the panel for 3 games and they got there shot in the super eights as they where fresh

I'd fancy monaghan to beat all of those extremely comfortably.

Breffni Park for a championship game on a Saturday evening is never the easiest place to go. Lest we forget Cavan were a division 1 side this year, and they were there only 2 years ago also.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Consey

C__MC wrote: »
    Cavan done well tonight but Monaghan’s consistency under o rourke has been dire. Tyrone or donegal would not have slipped up tonight. For a small county like Monaghan, for all their effort since they revived in 2005 and since o rourke took them over, all Ireland final appearance would have been great for them. Of course Dublin would have won. It’s the beginning of the end for Monaghan, the spine of their team is 30
    Plus. They’ll remain competitive no doubt but will gradually float away. Cavan were full value tonight but I wouldn’t be getting carried away. Good luck to them

I fancy Galway and Armagh tomorrow

Yep, awful consistency making the last 8 for 5 of the last 6 years.

After getting beaten by Fermanagh last year i think Monaghan got all Div 4 sides in the qualifiers to reach the last 8 i doubt they will be that lucky again. Will be plenty of Div 2,3 teams looking to take the Monaghan scalp so they need to recover fully from that earlier than expected Ulster championship exit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Monaghan beat 4 division 4 teams to make the last 8 in 2018.
    Let's see how they do vs a division 2 or 3 team

That Down red was ridiculous.

Red card all day long, shoulder/forearm/elbow to the head.
    Looked a good game that, nice of RTE to show a bit of it anyway. Tough Ulster Derby, good scores too. I watched the Cavan/Monaghan game, very enjoyable too.
    Fairly rich having Kevin McStay commentating on McGeeney"s behaviour on the pitch, remind me, who was the intercounty referee who was sent off and suspended last year for his on-field behaviour?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Some pass by Martin Reilly in that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,315 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Am I the only one who found Kevin McStay's short-long-medium kick graphic hilarious?
    It was like something from Father Ted.

"If you kick it short you will win it every-time.
    If you kick it longer you have more chance of losing it"

(It was put in during the Cavan-Monaghan game discussion on 'The Sunday Game')

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

Fairly rich having Kevin McStay commentating on McGeeney"s behaviour on the pitch, remind me, who was the intercounty referee who was sent off and suspended last year for his on-field behaviour?

To be fair to the fella, he did make a reference to that as he talked about Geezer, saying something along the lines of (and I'm paraphrasing here) "I know how hard it is to keep the emotions in check".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,814 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Am I the only one who found Kevin McStay's short-long-medium kick graphic hilarious?

it was no worse then sean kavanagh's who taught a push in the back should not be called a penalty because the player in possession was just about to fall over and lose possession :confused:

or how a forearm into the side of the head is not a sending off because the player receiving the blow slipped sightly before receiving the blow

the biggest problem at the moment in the gaa in my opinion is teaching people whats a foul nd what is not both ref's got the big calls right over the weekend and deserve to be praised not criticized

mcstay did highlight this infairness despite his bizarre rant about kick outs which was more important analisis in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Yep found it bizarre also. He seems to think modern day goalkeeping is a recent phenomena that viewers are not familiar with.
    I remember some odd analysis from him last year on "the goalkeeping debate" on whether your goalie should be a shot stopper or kick out expert which I though was strange, your modern day inter-county goalkeeper needs to be proficient at both.

it was no worse then sean kavanagh's who taught a push in the back should not be called a penalty because the player in possession was just about to fall over and lose possession :confused:

or how a forearm into the side of the head is not a sending off because the player receiving the blow slipped sightly before receiving the blow

the biggest problem at the moment in the gaa in my opinion is teaching people whats a foul nd what is not both ref's got the big calls right over the weekend and deserve to be praised not criticized

mcstay did highlight this infairness despite his bizarre rant about kick outs which was more important analisis in my opinion

Hard to take cavanagh seriously, a great player in his day, but doesn't come across as a deep thinker,adds nothing to the debate. His calls for these fouls was crazy stuff.
    Standard of analysis is poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Agreed. He is woeful. Mind you, he only has one full year as a pundit under his belt, so maybe we should cut him some slack, as he has to learn (like they all do) what he can get away with saying live on air, that won't get him lynched when he goes home.

In general, I find the the bigger the name, the worse the punditry. Dull, predictible and bland. Sheflin, Cooper, Cavanagh.. none of them are anything to write home about, compared to some of their own team mates who may not have been as big a superstar in their playing days, but are more able and willing to give insighful, and honest analysis when they have retired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

The "analysis" of the Sligo-Galway game was woeful. There was only three games in total, with two games on Sunday and they kicked off at different times so the panel should have been able to see both games unlike last week for instance where there was 6 or 7 matches to get through. We got the latest episode of McStays new feature "Goalies, get back in yer box" (was the Roscommon goalie a woeful git to deal with or something, McStay has a returned with an axe to grind this year) and another call for restructuring, both of which could have been pre-recorded for all the value they added.

I accept that the Sligo-Galway game was poor and deserved to get the least time of the football matches but there wasn't even a single line of analysis that suggested that either panellist had actually watched the bloody thing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement