Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Detailing chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

omri wrote: »
    What do you recommend to use for the interior? Cream leather, darker trim everywhere else. Getting dusty pretty quickly plus some ink transfer on seats.

Autoglym leather cleaner is fine, spray and lightly wipe. Hoover first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,016 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I use Dr Leather and a brush

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Pops_20

What's the safest method for cleaning an engine bay? Have some time today and want to give the bay a spruce up as it's likely never been done.
    I mainly don't want to risk saturating any electrical components.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Pops_20 wrote: »
    What's the safest method for cleaning an engine bay? Have some time today and want to give the bay a spruce up as it's likely never been done.
    I mainly don't want to risk saturating any electrical components.

My usual method starts with covering anything delicate with plastic bags. Then I spray on my cleaning poison of choice (dilute BIlt Hamber Surfix) and work it in with a brush. I wipe with a damp MF and wipe again (and again) with damp MF until I'm happy I've all the dirt & Surfix gone. Then dry and dress as appropriate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

ianobrien wrote: »
    My usual method starts with covering anything delicate with plastic bags. Then I spray on my cleaning poison of choice (dilute BIlt Hamber Surfix) and work it in with a brush. I wipe with a damp MF and wipe again (and again) with damp MF until I'm happy I've all the dirt & Surfix gone. Then dry and dress as appropriate

This is exactly what I do. There's no way I'd unleash a pressure washer on an engine bay even though a lot of people online swear by it.

I dressed mine with DLUX the last time I cleaned it a couple of months ago it and it still looks A1.

• Advertisement

I use the power washer on low pressure, never caused any kind of problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

Hi all,

So I went to halfords today to get some supplies for car washing and this is what I got:

- TurtleWax - Fresh Clean - for the inside surfaces
    - TurtleWax - Wax It Wet - spray wax
    - Meguiars - Perfect Clarity Glass Cleaner
    - Wonder Wheels - Original - wheel cleaner
    - Meguiars - Gold Class Car Wash - Shampoo and Conditioner

I also got the following:

- Halfords Micro Cleaning Kit (Pad for Wash+Wax, cloth for polish, cloth for glass)
    - Meguiars Microfibre Wash Mit
    - Halfords Microfibre Alloy Wheel Brush (https://www.halfords.ie/motoring/car-cleaning/sponges-brushes-buckets/halfords-microfibre-wheel-brush) with this I had the Meguiars in the basket but I wasn't sure if that was the right one for me (https://www.halfords.ie/motoring/car-cleaning/wheel-tyre-cleaning/meguiars-versa-angle-wheel-face-brush)
    - Halfords Chamois Leather and Chamois Demister Pad

Anything I should change from these products, there was so many to chose from I just wasn't sure which to get to be honest.

Also got the Meguiars bucket with grit guard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Currently working on this Focus for a customer. Last night saw it get a wash, detar, clay, wash, dry.

The claying of the roof, spoiler, bonnet and rear took the longest and all had to be done twice. It was in an unreal state, literally like sandpaper to the touch. I'd safely say it never got a clay in its life. All surfaces now as smooth as (clayed) glass. Even after the clay the gloss is much deeper and reflections are actually there.

Next step is machine polishing followed by wash with Gtechniq foam to get the polish residue off the panels and dust out of the crevices. I find the foam is better than the shampoo because it's citrus based and works while sitting on the panel before I get around to it with the mitt.

After that it's application of Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light to the paint and Gtechniq G1 on all the glass.

48061544148_9317826a0c_c.jpg

48061564733_9d2c422a0e_c.jpg

48061615467_f898511536_c.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Hi .. hope someone can answer a question I have ...

I'm planning to clay my car in next week or so . I have clay and autoglym super resin polish to put on after ...

My question is I was looking for a wax to put on after and I came across 2 bottles in shed , ( very old bottles)

1. Auto gym extra gloss protection ... it's very watery ... is it supposed to be?

2. Sovereign gold reflect polish/ wax ( I have attached a photo of bottle)

Will one of these do or would someone recommend a better alternative.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,586 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Hi .. hope someone can answer a question I have ...

I'm planning to clay my car in next week or so . I have clay and autoglym super resin polish to put on after ...

My question is I was looking for a wax to put on after and I came across 2 bottles in shed , ( very old bottles)

1. Auto gym extra gloss protection ... it's very watery ... is it supposed to be?

2. Sovereign gold reflect polish/ wax ( I have attached a photo of bottle)

Will one of these do or would someone recommend a better alternative.

Thanks

Use the AG EGP after using the SRP.
    They were literally designed to be used together anyway.
    But.
    Use the EGP very sparingly,
    Give the bottle several good shakes if it has been lying around for ages.

apply as light as you possibly can, do the whole car, give it about 30 minutes and buff off in order of application,
    I will say again, LIGHT coat.or you might find it hard to buff off.
    you can layer it if you like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭theintern

I'm pretty new to detailing and have one thing that's wrecking my head a bit.

How do people in apartments handle doing a good wash when there's no hose? It's a pain in the hole running up and down to the tap to fill up buckets to rinse off the wheels and panels. Especially if it's a decent day, you almost have to run up and down refilling after every panel to make sure the shampoo doesn't dry.

Do people just get a couple of jet wash tickets and sit there for an hour to rinse the car down? Any of the ones near me are fairly busy so I'm not sure camping out while I do a contact wash would go down too well. Or are there portable solutions worth looking into? I don't mind spending money to make my life easier.

My current plan for my next wash is to go to the local jet wash, buy 2 jet wash sessions, do an initial wash and fill up my buckets, drive the car into the forecourt and go to work, before rinsing it all off with in the jet wash, but even that's not ideal.

I've looked into rinseless cleaners like ONR, but they seem to be just for the odd quick maintenance wash when the car isn't too dirty.

I've hunted everywhere around my apartment block for an outside tap, but can't locate one. Open to any suggestions! I'm at the stage I'm going to ask some friends for the use of their driveway and hose of a weekend, even though I'll get some funny looks!

One option is to go to a petrol station with your buckets, mitt, shampoo etc. and just use the water lance part of the machine. Do your wash as normal and head away. This would get you more funny looks as opposed to asking a friend for use of their driveway though.

One option is to go to a petrol station with your buckets, mitt, shampoo etc. and just use the water lance part of the machine. Do your wash as normal and head away. This would get you more funny looks as opposed to asking a friend for use of their driveway though.

That's what I'm thinking. I've looked at a few different 'portable' systems for rinsing and spraying, but from reading reviews, seems buckets are just as good.

Ah well, up and down the stairs gives me plenty of exercise anyway..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Guys,
    Would would be the best solution/product to get the real gloss shine from tyres and black alloys? Focus ST. I have done the car a few times over the 2 yrs I have it and gotten the process for the body down to what I like/want, but I cant get the tyres to have that real dark but gloss shine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

Anyone could point me towards this gooey playdo like thing that I've seen been used to take the dust from the air vents also its antiseptic too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

theintern wrote: »
    My current plan for my next wash is to go to the local jet wash, buy 2 jet wash sessions, do an initial wash and fill up my buckets, drive the car into the forecourt and go to work, before rinsing it all off with in the jet wash, but even that's not ideal.

I live in an apartment and that is what I do. Fortunately the jet wash is never too busy so I don't have to move my car in between rinsing with the lance. It's an Applegreen service station and there is an automatic car wash there as well. Most people just use that (maybe they see me with my buckets and mitt and think 'this fcuker will take ages, I'll just use the automatic wash' :pac:).

Just discovered Whitedetails on youtube.

Superb work and really well produced videos, very informative. He has a fantastic set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭doh1988

Guys,
    Would would be the best solution/product to get the real gloss shine from tyres and black alloys? Focus ST. I have done the car a few times over the 2 yrs I have it and gotten the process for the body down to what I like/want, but I cant get the tyres to have that real dark but gloss shine.

Meguiars Endurance High Gloss Tyre is my go to

https://amzn.to/2J5owwl

I live in an apartment and that is what I do. Fortunately the jet wash is never too busy so I don't have to move my car in between rinsing with the lance. It's an Applegreen service station and there is an automatic car wash there as well. Most people just use that (maybe they see me with my buckets and mitt and think 'this fcuker will take ages, I'll just use the automatic wash' :pac:).

I wonder are you living by the same applegreen I do! same set up and I've seen people rock up with their whole set up. It's not too bad of an idea, if you get a decent summer evening and go late you're probably unlikely to be disturbed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Never know, make a few extra € if someone asks to do theirs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ChuckLarry

Looking for advice for taking bird poo off paintwork?

I parked in town yesterday, washed it off when I got home but it had been on all day baking in the sun, it was getting dark last night and looked like I had removed it but when I came out today in the morning light I could still see the outline at certain angles.

I don’t have a DA polisher, could a manual rub help?

Any help appreciated, cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

ChuckLarry wrote: »
    Looking for advice for taking bird poo off paintwork?

I parked in town yesterday, washed it off when I got home but it had been on all day baking in the sun, it was getting dark last night and looked like I had removed it but when I came out today in the morning light I could still see the outline at certain angles.

I don’t have a DA polisher, could a manual rub help?

Any help appreciated, cheers

Get a cloth and soak in water and all purpose cleaner, claying may help if not too bad and if it's too far gone a machine polish may be the only way and worst case sand and touch up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

theintern wrote: »
    I wonder are you living by the same applegreen I do! same set up and I've seen people rock up with their whole set up. It's not too bad of an idea, if you get a decent summer evening and go late you're probably unlikely to be disturbed.

The one on the Tuam Road beside Hogan Motors?
    I'll be the bloke with 2 bright yellow buckets cleaning a GTI :D

The one on the Tuam Road beside Hogan Motors?
    I'll be the bloke with 2 bright yellow buckets cleaning a GTI :D

Yep! Are we the same person? Yellow buckets and a GTI here too :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ChuckLarry

Get a cloth and soak in water and all purpose cleaner, claying may help if not too bad and if it's too far gone a machine polish may be the only way and worst case sand and touch up.

Tried another wash with iron remover and then claying (I know it’s not iron or fallout but figured it can’t hurt) came out a little bit but it’s still there unfortunately. The car is only 2 months old so I’d like to avoid sanding :O

ChuckLarry wrote: »
    Tried another wash with iron remover and then claying (I know it’s not iron or fallout but figured it can’t hurt) came out a little bit but it’s still there unfortunately. The car is only 2 months old so I’d like to avoid sanding :O

Maybe get a pro at it and think of getting correction and protection put on such as ceramic coatings...

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Supernintento Chalmers

I've had a Karcher pressure washer for years, it has a green hose for the lance.
    It has always kept coiling back up after it's pulled out, it'd drive ya mad.
    Was just wondering if anyone had any trick for stopping it from doing this?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Wasnt sure where to put this, but I did some cosmetic work on my 7R over the last few days.
    • Washed and waxed with Maguires Hybrid Ceramic Wax - first time using and really happy with results. Nice beading on the sunroof.
    • 4 New floor mats from CarMats2u - about 80 Euro after shipping. I think they look awesome and they are really good quality too, much better than OEM mats (which I compared side by side in one pic). Its a Blue/Black banding around the edge, and the R logo is the same color.
    • Refurbished 4 alloys at HighTech Wheel Finishing in Rosemount, Blanchardstown. Showing before and after for the worst alloy... really thrilled with their work... 120 euro per alloy though :( , but worth it I think. Top tip - pay in cash ;)

2v8icfb.png

Muppet Man

Nice job.
    Those mats look good as well.

• Advertisement

I used proper pad conditioner yesterday for the first time. Normally I would condition the pad with a layer of polish by rubbing it in all over but the Chemical Guys conditioner is another world altogether. After applying your polish drops to the pad, just give it a spritz or two and off you go. What I found:

- Lubricates the pad
    - Helps the polish to better do its job
    - There's no snagging/jumping of the machine
    - The polish residue is much easier to buff and the pads are much easier to clean
    - The machine just glides over the surface
    - Longer work time and polish doesn't cake on the pad
    - Makes it easier to see where you've polished and allows you to go over a previous spot without "old" polish building up on pad

I would highly recommend it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭celticsfan

Muppet Man wrote: »
    Wasnt sure where to put this, but I did some cosmetic work on my 7R over the last few days.
    • Washed and waxed with Maguires Hybrid Ceramic Wax - first time using and really happy with results. Nice beading on the sunroof.
    • 4 New floor mats from CarMats2u - about 80 Euro after shipping. I think they look awesome and they are really good quality too, much better than OEM mats (which I compared side by side in one pic). Its a Blue/Black banding around the edge, and the R logo is the same color.
    • Refurbished 4 alloys at HighTech Wheel Finishing in Rosemount, Blanchardstown. Showing before and after for the worst alloy... really thrilled with their work... 120 euro per alloy though :( , but worth it I think. Top tip - pay in cash

Muppet Man

What carpet type did you get on your mats if you dont mind me asking...am due to get a few new ones myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

celticsfan wrote: »
    What carpet type did you get on your mats if you dont mind me asking...am due to get a few new ones myself!

No worries, from the site above it was "Premier Super Luxury" (+£19.99).
    The Edge colour was "Twin Edge Black / Blue (+£1.99).

Perfect fit & connection with the knuckles on the floor and as I say the carpet quality appeared better than the OEM mats as far as I can tell. The OEM mats dont come with a heel pad either.

(Note, "Platinum" and "Diamond" car mats dont come with a heel pad).

Cheers
    Muppet Man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

omri wrote: »
    Anyone could point me towards this gooey playdo like thing that I've seen been used to take the dust from the air vents also its antiseptic too.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/interior-keyboard-cleaning-Universal-Cleaning/dp/B07STFMMJH/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?keywords=dust+vent+automotive+gel&qid=1562225363&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Only seen your post now!

Came home to find the father had washed his car. He managed to dig out the old brush I used for cleaning Motorhome Roofs (I retired it from that role as it aged and was using it for the roof of the lean-to) and washed his car with it. His logic was that "I'd take too long". He walked past the cleaning shelves and all the buckets, mitts etc. I was afraid to ask what soap he used!

It probably needs a polish after that. I'll wait until he's gone on holidays and I'll have time to tackle that job without him getting in the way.

Did a quick maintenance wash Thursday evening. Came out this morning to this.

IMG_20190706_164727-756x1008.jpg?dl=1

Geez that bird must have had a right dose of the trots!

It's now gone. Soaked with wet kitchen paper, a run of water, a (very very gentle) touch of a MF & BH Auto-QD and it's gone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

ianobrien wrote: »
    Did a quick maintenance wash Thursday evening. Came out this morning to this.

Geez that bird must have had a right dose of the trots!

It's now gone. Soaked with wet kitchen paper, a run of water, a (very very gentle) touch of a MF & BH Auto-QD and it's gone!

That bird poop is actually beading!

I seen micks garage has snow foam lances at €29.99 with code FOAMY, if anyone hasn't seen it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭padyjoe

Thinking about getting a Nilfisk washer. There would be light tasks: cleaning walkways, the car and would be nice to have the option of sucking water from a water butt. Is the C120 good enough for this or the C135 to go for? Thanks!
    I live in apartment, no need for going mad in size or power either.

padyjoe wrote: »
    Thinking about getting a Nilfisk washer. There would be light tasks: cleaning walkways, the car and would be nice to have the option of sucking water from a water butt. Is the C120 good enough for this or the C135 to go for? Thanks!

Had a c120 and was very good and reliable, ended up getting something more powerful in the end due to a stubborn patio. For a car it is perfect. No idea on the water butt though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Can anyone recommend a tyre dressing that doesn't end up slinging residue on the rims? Looking more for a clean matt finish too rather than wet or gloss look.

• Advertisement

Gtechniq T1 bazz :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Cheers MM.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a tyre dressing that doesn't end up slinging residue on the rims? Looking more for a clean matt finish too rather than wet or gloss look.

I will be trying Soft99 Tyre wax soon, Will let you know how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭doh1988

If you are after the Matt look , Gtechniq should do the trick as already mentioned!

doh1988 wrote: »
    If you are after the Matt look , Gtechniq should do the trick as already mentioned!

Just got some T1, looking forward to trying it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Hebegeebee

+1 for GTechniq T1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Gtechniq c2v3 says not to apply in direct sunlight, does it matter if you are gonna buff it in straight away and not give it time to dry?

Benzino wrote: »
    Gtechniq c2v3 says not to apply in direct sunlight, does it matter if you are gonna buff it in straight away and not give it time to dry?

Well,
    If you think about it,
    Hot panel Vs water like liquid,:o
    Just keep it in the shade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Masala

Lads,, have a brand new 192 in Black for about a week or so.

what would ye recommend for a newbie like me to start washing the car??

what sequence should I follow??? I dont really want to end up swirling my new car!!!

was think of the following:
    1 A hose down to get the dirt off
    2. A 2 bucket wash using Halfords car wash.
    3. a Dry cloth to dry off the wet
    4. a buff cloth to get rid of any residue marks.
    5. a handwash of the Alloys and then a hose down

what ye think??? am i on the right track

regards

Masala wrote: »
    Lads,, have a brand new 192 in Black for about a week or so.

what would ye recommend for a newbie like me to start washing the car??

what sequence should I follow??? I dont really want to end up swirling my new car!!!

was think of the following:
    1 A hose down to get the dirt off
    2. A 2 bucket wash using Halfords car wash.
    3. a Dry cloth to dry off the wet
    4. a buff cloth to get rid of any residue marks.
    5. a handwash of the Alloys and then a hose down

what ye think??? am i on the right track

regards

Have you any protection 1st of all...
    If not please please pull away...,

You need to think swirls and even with 2 bucket this will happen.

You need to think full decontamination and then a full protection and proper one at that.

Vectra used ceramic and commented on how well it works and how easy to clean so all depends really on what you want to spend.

Oh and you need a dry me crazy micro fibre towel...

Do not attempt to use chamois or other crap...

• Advertisement
Advertisement