Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,690 ✭✭✭squinn2912

The Nal wrote: »
    Yup, note to AJ, thats how you do boxing in America.

Enjoyed the Ali documentary. Although when his career is condensed like that its so sad to see how quickly he declined.

To some extent but a very different opponent to be fair to Joshua.
    Yea I agree but it makes him all the more amazing. The hits he took when his legs went were incredible

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Yup, note to AJ, thats how you do boxing in America.
    Ha ha! If Joshua had fought Schwarz on his American debut he would have got slaughtered by his critics! I guess Fury got away with it because of the entertainment factor he brings to the party.

Even if Joshua had knocked Ruiz out in the 2nd round I doubt he would have got the same acclaim that Fury is getting for knocking out Schwarz. This despite the fact that Ruiz is ten times the boxer that Schwarz is.

Pighead wrote: »
    Ha ha! If Joshua had fought Schwarz on his American debut he would have got slaughtered by his critics! I guess Fury got away with it because of the entertainment factor he brings to the party.

Even if Joshua had knocked Ruiz out in the 2nd round I doubt he would have got the same acclaim that Fury is getting for knocking out Schwarz. This despite the fact that Ruiz is ten times the boxer that Schwarz is.

To be fair I agree with a lot of this. Problem is that fury looked good while aj was put on his ass

• Registered Users Posts: 20,539 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Ruiz had done nothing prior to the AJ fight to suggest he was ten times better fight than Schwarz ? He had fought better opposition and really stepped up once to fight Parker and lost

He was ranked higher and a better boxer but 10 times better no chance ,

• Registered Users Posts: 37,603 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Fury fought Wilder so he gets away with fighting a few lesser lights. And this guy was no.1 contender and had a 100% record too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

they are just building up a bit more profile in the states before the wilder rematch. Makes sense and they are getting him in again nice and quick (sept or oct). Bob Arum said in the press conference he expects the rematch to do bigger numbers than Pac Floyd. Would be great to have a heavyweight mega fight again, especially given how good the last one was.

they are just building up a bit more profile in the states before the wilder rematch. Makes sense and they are getting him in again nice and quick (sept or oct). Bob Arum said in the press conference he expects the rematch to do bigger numbers than Pac Floyd. Would be great to have a heavyweight mega fight again, especially given how good the last one was.

Ye Bob was saying no one knew Fury in the states for the first Wilder fight bar the proper fight fans,

Its the whole reason they will have 2 or 3 build up fights just to get his name out there,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Fury said he wants to fight two more bums, one in Sept and one in December then Wilder early next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭normanoffside

This is the key point, more so than the opponent.
    It's the show he puts on that will win American audiences over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭Morrison J

eagle eye wrote: »
    Fury fought Wilder so he gets away with fighting a few lesser lights.

He signed with Top Rank/ESPN after the Wilder fight so that makes no sense. Top Rank are calling the shots now and Fury is doing what they tell him. They've made their investment in him and are now in the process of building his profile before putting him in a mega fight. Can't see any issue with it at all personally.

• Advertisement

Morrison J wrote: »
    He signed with Top Rank/ESPN after the Wilder fight so that makes no sense. Top Rank are calling the shots now and Fury is doing what they tell him. They've made their investment in him and are now in the process of building his profile before putting him in a mega fight. Can't see any issue with it at all personally.

Your taking what he said up wrong, He is saying because Fury showed the balls to basically come straight in to fight Wilder he gets away with a few warm up fights now ,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Fury is being very much stage managed in the US - the shorts, the Aerosmith song, the big thanks to his promoters, a lot of relaxed promo interviews endearing himself to the US audience. A couple of more fights and more grooming to build up to the big one against Wilder and make a lot of people wealthy on the back of their investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

If Ruiz beats Joshua again, I'd love to see Fury fight Ruiz. I'd say Fury wins that one very easily.

Fury v Pulev next? For the vacant IBF? (If they order Ruiz to fight Pulev, which he won't due to Joshua rematch)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Ruiz would get badly schooled if they fought.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Ruiz did all his damage in close to Joshua and Fury likes to use his reach. That and his movement and I think he'd have too much for Ruiz.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Yeah, I'd imagine Ruiz would find it very hard to lay a glove on Fury and lose nearly every round.

Johner wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd imagine Ruiz would find it very hard to lay a glove on Fury and lose nearly every round.

Tyson tuffest fight or maybe second just behind Wilder to date was Cunningham who was a small heavy weight and mostly a cruiser weight , So you never know Ruiz may call him problems .
    Although Fury claims it was the Cunningham fight that made him rethink and change his style

Tyson tuffest fight or maybe second just behind Wilder to date was Cunningham who was a small heavy weight and mostly a cruiser weight , So you never know Ruiz may call him problems .
    Although Fury claims it was the Cunningham fight that made him rethink and change his style

Fury fought like a nut job that night the man was unhinged. He's a lot smarter these days. Fight against Luiz would most likely play out similar to the second Chisora fight.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I think a lot of you guys are dismissing Ruiz for very little reason. I think he gives any hw problems. It’ll be very interesting to see what he’s like with a camp in him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

That Cunningham fight was nearly 7 years ago now. A young Fury it means nothing

• Advertisement

That Cunningham fight was nearly 7 years ago now. A young Fury it means nothing

I don't agree that it means nothing I think it's what reshaped Fury into a much better boxer. He realized that he can't completely fool around and expect that to go well. He's now cautious without being cagey. It was the perfect thing to happen to him because he got a lesson but it didn't destroy his confidence. Just think back to a similar thing happening to David Price - he didn't get away with it and it destroyed him.
    So it means much less in terms of judging Fury now - you're dead right about that. But it's a significant moment for him and his mental and tactical development.

Anyone see this interview by Fury on Joshua? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYR0xhWt-r0
    Really high praise.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Anyone see this interview by Fury on Joshua?
    Really high praise.

Fair play. Fury is a very different man to 5 years ago.

Its all gone a bit nice though hasn't it? Come on lads! Why aren't you threatening to eat peoples children? Bums on seats etc.

Fair play. Fury is a very different man to 5 years ago.

Its all gone a bit nice though hasn't it? Come on lads! Why aren't you threatening to eat peoples children? Bums on seats etc.

As Micky in Rocky says - the worst thing that can happen to any fighter - to get civilised!

Meanwhile. Groves made the prediction that Fury will fight for one of the belts that Ruiz will be stripped of by virtue of fighting the rematch. Seems harsh on Ruiz but its a way of keeping the division alive for longer and ensuring mega unification fights and defenses. Shrewd.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭selectamatic

squinn2912 wrote: »

Meanwhile. Groves made the prediction that Fury will fight for one of the belts that Ruiz will be stripped of by virtue of fighting the rematch. Seems harsh on Ruiz but its a way of keeping the division alive for longer and ensuring mega unification fights and defenses. Shrewd.

That isn't going to make a whole pile of difference though.

Wasn't it said the Wilder Fury rematch will be for Wilder's belt and along with that the ring magazine belt will be up for grabs. Another belt thrown in along with those two won't be that much of an addition.

Especially considering Ruiz or AJ will have the other belts so to unify the division the same amount of fights would be needed irregardless of which two out of those four have them.

The only way they could prolong this would be by stripping Ruiz of a belt and letting two other HW's fight for it outside of the four mentioned above.

If Wilder was to lose to Ortiz in a bout before the Fury rematch it'd massively prolong things also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Do you think AJ v Ruiz will be back in New York or UK?

Hearn has said it will be announced next week but they are still deciding on venue (Its down to AJ apparently) from the interview it sounds like MSG is the front runner

November 16th - December 16th

https://www.skysports.com/boxing/news/12040/11744915/anthony-joshuas-rematch-with-andy-ruiz-jr-will-be-staged-in-britain-or-new-york-says-eddie-hearn

fitzparker wrote: »
    Do you think AJ v Ruiz will be back in New York or UK?

Hearn has said it will be announced next week but they are still deciding on venue (Its down to AJ apparently) from the interview it sounds like MSG is the front runner

November 16th - December 16th

https://www.skysports.com/boxing/news/12040/11744915/anthony-joshuas-rematch-with-andy-ruiz-jr-will-be-staged-in-britain-or-new-york-says-eddie-hearn

Hearn and AJ will want the UK for home advantage
    They will make money from a Stadium fight , plus the pay per view will sell better due to the time ,

Down side is people will say he went to America lost and ran away ,

I'm sure Ruiz would prefer it in London for more money himself,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Fingers crossed it's UK from a fan point of view, I went to the Pulev fight and it was cheaper (flight,hotel,ticket) than going to belfast for the frampton card the month previous

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Sounds like it will be MSG, perhaps even mandated by the DAZN deal, but Hearn is going some way to persuade us it's AJ's decision.

• Advertisement

No doubt they'll want it back in the Uk but the only way for AJ to banish the demons would be to bring it back to MSG and get a KO. Otherwise the questions will remain.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement