Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hospital bags

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Cameoette

I’m a FTM, still early days yet - going for my 12week booking appointment on Wednesday in Holles street.
    Quick question - did anyone bring snacks with them? I know in the grand scheme of things it seems insignificant, but do they have a policy about it? Like if I packed a pack of biscuits, maybe a multi pack of bars and stuff like fruit gum/fruit pastilles? I’m a grazer :D

Did anyone bring in a tablet with them? Or is it basically you have no time to go on a tablet :pac:

I would absolutely bring snacks! The last two times I was in I had my partner bring snacks in throughout my stay. I was starving especially overnight. The first time all I wanted was salty crackers and lucozade. The second time he snuck me in a subway from across the road :)

The tablet thing is personal preference, I didn’t bother and I’m not bringing anything this time. I found I did have quite a bit of down time when baby was still quite sleepy after birth but I didn’t have the mental energy for even a magazine so I was happy enough to just flake on my bed and check my phone the odd time!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I got my husband to bring in lots of fruit to get things "moving" so to speak.
    Third time around I didn't bother with magazines etc. I took to the bed and snoozed feeding lying down. Took long long showers when baby slept (he was a good sleeper and I had my own room).
    I'd bring loads of night dresses, I forgot the sweaty phase after birth. It was so nice to have fresh night dresses a few times a day.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

If you have a phone, maybe a kindle....it's about all you have the energy for.
    I was tired, my eyes couldn't take staring at screens for long periods.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭plasticheart

I’m a FTM, still early days yet - going for my 12week booking appointment on Wednesday in Holles street.
    Quick question - did anyone bring snacks with them? I know in the grand scheme of things it seems insignificant, but do they have a policy about it? Like if I packed a pack of biscuits, maybe a multi pack of bars and stuff like fruit gum/fruit pastilles? I’m a grazer :D

Did anyone bring in a tablet with them? Or is it basically you have no time to go on a tablet :pac:

My husband brought snacks in for me (protein bars, fruit, bottled water and jellies!) No one will bat an eye if you bring in extra food. I'd recommend mints and Peppermint tea bags to help get things moving again after you've delivered. Holles St offer a snack pack too for overnight, it's a long time between dinner and breakfast. Snack pack had ryvita crackers, laughing cow cheese, apple and banana bread. Banana bread was very good!:)

I just had my phone with me, I didn't want to be minding a tablet too but lots of others had them or books. My baby slept a lot the first couple of days so I read a lot on my phone. I didn't bother with Netflix as I was worried I wouldn't hear the baby with earphones in.

Best of luck with your scan. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,802 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

My husband brought snacks in for me (protein bars, fruit, bottled water and jellies!) No one will bat an eye if you bring in extra food. I'd recommend mints and Peppermint tea bags to help get things moving again after you've delivered. Holles St offer a snack pack too for overnight, it's a long time between dinner and breakfast. Snack pack had ryvita crackers, laughing cow cheese, apple and banana bread. Banana bread was very good!:)

I just had my phone with me, I didn't want to be minding a tablet too but lots of others had them or books. My baby slept a lot the first couple of days so I read a lot on my phone. I didn't bother with Netflix as I was worried I wouldn't hear the baby with earphones in.

I never got a snack pack.... But I was a peasant on the public ward :D...... (I can't fault the public ward)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

Never got a snack pack either! Is it a new thing? Badly needed! Another must have on public ward for me is ear plugs. 4 nights in on my 1st and i don't think i slept until 3rd night when remembered i had them. Still woke when my baby cried but blocked out all the snoring!! Lifesaver

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

My last baby was Nov 2018 in Holles Street and they literally started trialing the snack pack the week i was in, I didn’t get it on my other two. Bloomin delicious, fruit, crackers, and I remember an amazing banana bread.

Ha, snap on the banana bread! So good!

Digs wrote: »
    My last baby was Nov 2018 in Holles Street and they literally started trialing the snack pack the week i was in, I didn’t get it on my other two. Bloomin delicious, fruit, crackers, and I remember an amazing banana bread.
    I got it in Sept 2018, it was great for the night time cluster feeding.

lazygal wrote: »
    I got it in Sept 2018, it was great for the night time cluster feeding.

Oh really?! Maybe they were trialing it on different care levels or just spoofing it was new? I was public. Either way it was excellent!

• Advertisement

I don't know how new the snack pack is, it did have a leaflet with it saying it was a recent thing and asking for feedback on it. I was on a semi-private ward and everyone was offered it but a lot turned it down so maybe they don't always offer it if a lot refuse it? I was accepting any extra food offered to me as I was pretty much hungry all the time!

Yeah that banana bread was delicious, I'd buy a loaf of it if i could. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Oh really?! Maybe they were trialing it on different care levels or just spoofing it was new? I was public. Either way it was excellent!

In hospitals, things tend to be called “new” until they’ve been on the go for at least 2 years :D

I think I filled out a form about it or something. I was private.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Becks0603

Hi, did anyone buy the spritz for bits spray for after? Or the natural birthing company version that they stock in boots?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Becks0603 wrote: »
    Hi, did anyone buy the spritz for bits spray for after? Or the natural birthing company version that they stock in boots?

No. Never used anything like that before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

I had a squeeze bottle I used to rinse the area with water after the toilet which I thoroughly recommend. In my case it was a repurposed Neilmed sinus rinse bottle but any similar squeeze bottle or peri bottle will do. I wouldn’t be bothered with that spray.

I had a squeeze bottle I used to rinse the area with water after the toilet which I thoroughly recommend. In my case it was a repurposed Neilmed sinus rinse bottle but any similar squeeze bottle or peri bottle will do. I wouldn’t be bothered with that spray.

Thanks for the tip, I feel like the internet can make you think you need a lot more than you do!!

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

Can't recommend witch hazel enough. Can get in a health shop or pharmacy and soak it into pad. Amazing relief and a lot cheaper than the sprays!

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

I had a similar product when I had my son, I used it most during my 3rd trimester as I had incredible itching that the doctor couldn't diagnose and it was the only thing that soothed it. I had quite bad tearing and lots of stitches after birth, so was afraid to use it then.
    The peri bottle was a life saver though.
    I'm looking at buying a sitz bath this time too, salt soaks worked wonders after my son, but I don't have a bath to soak in anymore, just a shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Hazelnut Button

Just popping in to say I just had a baby today and I've been told nothing but water on the stitches as they can dissolve too quickly. So maybe be careful with the spray. Nurse recommended a squeeze bottle with water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,802 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Just popping in to say I just had a baby today and I've been told nothing but water on the stitches as they can dissolve too quickly. So maybe be careful with the spray. Nurse recommended a squeeze bottle with water.

Congratulations.... Put the phone away and get some rest :) exciting journey ahead xx

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Rebel83

I got a Peri squeeze bottle on Amazon for €10 - have Witch Hazel to add to it with water

Congratulations and thanks for the info..enjoy all the new baby cuddles!

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

Finally getting round to packing my bags and some great tips in this thread.
    This is my third but it will be my first section. Can anyone tell me if you still need to pack two separate bags if you are having an elective section? Before I would have the small labour ward bag and then the bigger bag for after. Not sure if I still do this?
    Do you still need the crazy pads if you have a section?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

cant26 wrote:
    Finally getting round to packing my bags and some great tips in this thread. This is my third but it will be my first section. Can anyone tell me if you still need to pack two separate bags if you are having an elective section? Before I would have the small labour ward bag and then the bigger bag for after. Not sure if I still do this? Do you still need the crazy pads if you have a section?

Hi, I had an elective section 2 weeks ago, when I arrived at the Coombe I was brought to the ward I returned to after delivery, so I had brought two bags and both were left there. The only thing I brought up to theatre was a ziplock bag with baby's first outfit but they didnt dress him as I was doing skin to skin in recovery, they put the nappy and hat on him I think. I was wearing a hospital gown, disposable underwear which they provided, and my own dressing gown which was removed in theatre. I found it handy to have two separate bags up in the ward anyway just to feel a bit more organised with what was where.

As for the pads, yes you'll still need them after a section, I used the big green pads for about 2 days then normal maternity pads for about 2 days and then normal sanitary towels, but I was never a heavy bleeder and it's been light since the start. No idea if that's because it was a section or not but the womb still needs to heal and contract anyway so you'll bleed for a few weeks, I have loads of unused maternity pads but better to have too many than not enough I thought.

Cash_Q wrote: »
    Hi, I had an elective section 2 weeks ago, when I arrived at the Coombe I was brought to the ward I returned to after delivery, so I had brought two bags and both were left there. The only thing I brought up to theatre was a ziplock bag with baby's first outfit but they didnt dress him as I was doing skin to skin in recovery, they put the nappy and hat on him I think. I was wearing a hospital gown, disposable underwear which they provided, and my own dressing gown which was removed in theatre. I found it handy to have two separate bags up in the ward anyway just to feel a bit more organised with what was where.

As for the pads, yes you'll still need them after a section, I used the big green pads for about 2 days then normal maternity pads for about 2 days and then normal sanitary towels, but I was never a heavy bleeder and it's been light since the start. No idea if that's because it was a section or not but the womb still needs to heal and contract anyway so you'll bleed for a few weeks, I have loads of unused maternity pads but better to have too many than not enough I thought.

Thanks CashQ, think I will still do the two bags so. Easier to root around a less filled bag and even carrying them in to the hospital will be easier if the weight is distributed! I imagine I’ll have to go it alone without my husband:(
    any other must haves or section tips would be most welcome! I’m a bag of nerves at the thought of the section even though I asked for it!

cant26 wrote: »
    Finally getting round to packing my bags and some great tips in this thread.
    This is my third but it will be my first section. Can anyone tell me if you still need to pack two separate bags if you are having an elective section? Before I would have the small labour ward bag and then the bigger bag for after. Not sure if I still do this?
    Do you still need the crazy pads if you have a section?

I had a section in Holles St last month. I brought one bag with me and had the first outfit for baby in a ziplock bag. My bag was locked away until it was time to go to theatre and I just brought the ziplock bag with me then.

I brought Boots maternity pads with me but didn't really need them after the first few days, ordinary sanitary towels were fine. The bleeding was very minimal.

Bring big granny knickers. Go up a couple of sizes as you'll be swollen and you want something to go up over your incision site. I'm still wearing the granny knickers as lower cut ones are still too uncomfortable!

If you're breastfeeding your milk might not come in for a few days with the section. Apparently eating oats can help. I had oat cookies and porridge with me and it seemed to help but who knows.

Bring mints/chewing gum/peppermint tea. The medication for the section really slows your digestive system down and peppermint can help Kickstart it so you avoid painful trapped wind.

I've had three sections in Holles Street.
    Bring a small bag with a dressing gown, nightdress and slippers for waiting around. And a phone charger. And whatever else you think you'll use.

This bag went into my big bag which also had baby's first outfit on the top where my husband couldn't miss it. Babies got a nappy, hat and blanket in theatre after delivery so didn't need the babygro immediately.
    I used night time sanitary pads from day 2 onwards.

Second the big granny pants and would also suggest nightdresses which open down the front for skin to skin and breastfeeding.

One tip I got was to push myself up off the bed with the opposite arm. I found this made things much easier.

Get someone to bring in loads of fruit especially pears and plums to get your bowels moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

cant26 wrote:
    Thanks CashQ, think I will still do the two bags so. Easier to root around a less filled bag and even carrying them in to the hospital will be easier if the weight is distributed! I imagine I’ll have to go it alone without my husband any other must haves or section tips would be most welcome! I’m a bag of nerves at the thought of the section even though I asked for it!

In the Coombe he was allowed to carry them to the door then security bagged and tagged them and a porter brought them to the ward once I was checked in, not sure how other hospitals are managing it.

Getting in and out of bed is so hard but I find lying on a silky sheet makes it a bit easier to move.

• Advertisement

I had a section in Holles St last month. I brought one bag with me and had the first outfit for baby in a ziplock bag. My bag was locked away until it was time to go to theatre and I just brought the ziplock bag with me then.

I brought Boots maternity pads with me but didn't really need them after the first few days, ordinary sanitary towels were fine. The bleeding was very minimal.

Bring big granny knickers. Go up a couple of sizes as you'll be swollen and you want something to go up over your incision site. I'm still wearing the granny knickers as lower cut ones are still too uncomfortable!

If you're breastfeeding your milk might not come in for a few days with the section. Apparently eating oats can help. I had oat cookies and porridge with me and it seemed to help but who knows.

Bring mints/chewing gum/peppermint tea. The medication for the section really slows your digestive system down and peppermint can help Kickstart it so you avoid painful trapped wind.

Great tips, I have heard that a section might delay milk coming in so will try and prepare as best for that, thanks!

Advertisement