Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hospital bags

Options
  • 04-09-2020 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

The subject of hospital bags came up recently and what we would change on the lists given to expectant mums. Lots of people seem to feel they overpacked, myself included. Covid didn't help though. I knew my husband wouldn't be able to drop anything in to me.

If I was packing again I'd bring:
    1 Towel for myself
    1 soft towel for baby
    1 packet of maternity pads (not 2 like I was told) in fact I barely used what I had because I was given plenty in the hospital.
    At least 2 changes of pajamas in addition to the labouring nightie (by the last day, I was dressed in a towel because all my nightwear was soaked.
    Things I brought that never came out of the case: maternity pads, extra towels for me and baby, cot sheets, make up :D

A good tip I got was to put the babies first outfit in a sandwich bag and label it so anyone can find it because your not fit to go rooting in a suitcase at that point. In hindsight I should have given the fluffy baby towel to someone (husband or nurse) in advance of labour so the baby could be wrapped in something nice. Mine was at the bottom of a suitcase when she was born and the baby was given to me in a scratchy old hospital towel.

Another reason I wish I hadn't been told to bring so much is because I was moved 7 times while in hospital and the bag had to be repacked and carted to a new room every time. So everything was in a heap and I didn't have the energy to go digging for what I wanted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I did the outfit in sandwich bags (ikea do a wide variety of sizes, I use their large sizes even now for the toddler for day trips etc) the only thing is you have to be really careful to store the empty bag... I was in for five days so I would put the dirty outfit into the now empty bag and himself brought it home with him that night.... Trying to stop a build up of dirty stuff in the bag.

The one thing I packed that was a happy accident was a towel with velcro on the top... Even pregnancy didn't give me boobs to hold a towel up :) and I'd a cathera (spelling escapes me) so the towel staying put while I was trying to negotiate everything was very helpful.

I also left some pj's, pants etc and more outfits packed in sandwich bags at home in a "seriously you need to be blind to miss them" place , so if I was kept in longer or we had a messy time I could message himself to grab what was needed before visiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Becks0603

Thanks for that, handy to get someone's realistic opinion I'm a FTM due in December and some of the hospital bag lists are mental!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Leave your going home clothes at home in a prominent place and get whoever is bringing you home to bring them in on the day of discharge. You'll at least be going home in something you picked and won't have a hospital smell.
    I packed a roll of bin bags to send home laundry every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

Holles st didn't give out maternity pads from what i remember but one pack should do alright.
    Second the advice on the bin bags for laundry!
    No need for baby cot sheets in holles st.
    I overdid it on the big pants both times! Only packing one packet this time.
    Definitely a few pairs of pjs, light dressing gown as its roasting and phone charger.
    Also snacks as dinner is early and nothing then until breakfast!

annoyedgal wrote: »
    Holles st didn't give out maternity pads from what i remember but one pack should do alright.
    Second the advice on the bin bags for laundry!
    No need for baby cot sheets in holles st.
    I overdid it on the big pants both times! Only packing one packet this time.
    Definitely a few pairs of pjs, light dressing gown as its roasting and phone charger.
    Also snacks as dinner is early and nothing then until breakfast!

Holles Street did when I was there, well two were left on your locker I think you were supposed to use your own after that. Personally I preferred to use my own rather than ones that have been floating around.

+1 on the snacks, I'd gestational diabetes, I inhaled the chocolate as soon as I got settled in bed.

Flip flops for the shower too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

I hated the maternity pads I used on my son, I bled super heavy and nothing stopped the leaks. I destroyed the bed, pants and nighties multiple times.
    A friend advised me to bring a pack of adult diapers this time. She swore by them, no leaks and they hold much more liquid, and you can get ones that are not horrendously like big nappies. I'll definitely be bringing a pack this time.

A spray water bottle for going to pee. I didn't have one and wasn't given one first time, and I ended up using my bottle of evian face mist because the pain without was agony.
    (Spray at your bits while peeing, it's a godsend, especially if you have any stitches)

Rubber soled slippers and flip flops for shower.

And make sure your going home outfit will fit! I naively brought normal clothes (just one size up from my pre-pregnancy size) to go home in on my first. Bring something very loose and comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

What size are the sandwich bags that a lot of you use?

I get mine in ikea, the biggest I get are 6 litre, they are about a4 size... This will hold an adult outfit. Well a light one like dress, top leggings etc.

They have smaller ones I use for the kids. But are very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Uptheduff

I actually used one of the bags that baby vests come in. They are resealable, just cut the plastic hanger off the top.

If you have a section the night time sanitary pads are much better than maternity pads. I used them on day two onwards.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I never brought towels for babies.....
    Charger for phone/kindle.
    Rotunda don't give out pads either, bar a couple straight after birth so bring those...the black packet of Kotex ones I always found most comfy.
    A plastic bag-for-life type shopping bag for rubbish around your bed!!Plastic bottle covers if you are supplementing, rubbish from your snacks and the like!
    Definitely nighties, you sweat a LOT.
    Can't say I ever bothered with baby outfits in separate bags myself either, but each to their own!
    Flip flops only, never bothered with slippers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

lazygal wrote: »
    Leave your going home clothes at home in a prominent place and get whoever is bringing you home to bring them in on the day of discharge. You'll at least be going home in something you picked and won't have a hospital smell.
    I packed a roll of bin bags to send home laundry every day.

Going home clothes in the car seat! I just brought mine in my bag, but I saw it suggested somewhere lately to put the bag into the car seat, at least it couldn’t be forgotten that way!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Squiggle03

The medium size Tesco zip seal bags (purple pack) are big enough for a nappy, vest and sleepsuit or I have a 5 piece outfit and a nappy in one and there's still plenty of room.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

My going home outfit were the clothes I wore into hospital! I asked for a hospital gown during the delivery as I wanted to keep my clothes clean!!!

I had to get those injections for clots afterwards. I flew through the maternity pads!! I used loads of packs like defo 4 or more!!! I used to have to put two on at once!!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Rebel83

I'm not sure I'll need a dressing gown & could do with the extra space to leave it out - any thoughts?
    I have a light one but CUMH has always been so warm whenever I've visited the wards previously for friends so not sure I'll need it?
    Have also just packed flip flops & no slippers.
    My sister recommended the Tena Lady type disposable underwear - they are massive though! And I have maternity pads plus regular pads - Mog sure which will suit me best.
    Picked up a peri bottle on Amazon for spraying water when I wee afterwards.

Defo bring dressing gown if you think you will be sharing a room!!
    I bled so much afterwards I was happy to have it around me as was paranoid I had blood on my pjs!

I had the crazy thick green ones for the first two or 3 days then used lil lets maternity ones. They were good in fairness. I also had like a disposable changing mat thing underneath me for the first day!!

I just had black underwear from dunnes not disposable.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Toastytoes

No maternity pads given in Galway maternity hospital either, need to bring your own. The Always incontence knickers are a good alternative to pads too. Good coverage so no leakage.

Holles Street give those disposable mat things.. All the beds are made with them in them.

I didn't buy the nipple shield pad things as I knew I wasn't going to bf.... No one mentioned that you still leak, we'll I did anyway, second baby they were packed.

Everything feckin leaks :D

I never used one breast pad and I've breastfed three kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Rebel83 wrote: »
    I'm not sure I'll need a dressing gown & could do with the extra space to leave it out - any thoughts?
    I have a light one but CUMH has always been so warm whenever I've visited the wards previously for friends so not sure I'll need it?
    Have also just packed flip flops & no slippers.
    My sister recommended the Tena Lady type disposable underwear - they are massive though! And I have maternity pads plus regular pads - Mog sure which will suit me best.
    Picked up a peri bottle on Amazon for spraying water when I wee afterwards.

I would definitely bring the maternity pads. Normal pads would not have done the job for me for the first couple of days. The ones with no sticky stuff are recommended -something to do with airflow. The massive green ones, the size of surfboards were definitely my fave for the first day of two. I always had my own room so never really wore my dressing gown, but I wouldn’t have left it out either, I’d rather be looking at it than for it!
    I never had a spray bottle for my lady bits, and never felt deprived!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

lazygal wrote: »
    I never used one breast pad and I've breastfed three kids.

Ugh I am actually ridiculously jealous. My friend was like you. I’ve also breastfed 3 and shudder to think at how many I’ve gone through. Always always leaking, even a year in.

Digs wrote: »
    Ugh I am actually ridiculously jealous. My friend was like you. I’ve also breastfed 3 and shudder to think at how many I’ve gone through. Always always leaking, even a year in.

It's so individual. I got and passed on boxes of breast pads. It just goes to show everyone's must haves are different.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Dressing gown is handy, although I had a really light cotton one, not a big fleecy one.
    Weirdly I found it most handy at night on babies 2 &3.I brought them into the bed a lot with me, especially my third, as it was the only way I was able to sleep without checking constantly were they crying.....but in order to do that I.had to leave my covers right down around my feet, baby had its own small blanket and I wore the dressing gown to keep me warm.

(Disclaimer on all that now......I breastfed and certainly by the time I got to my third baby, the midwives were happy to let me do things my way.I am sure if I was doing it in an unsafe way they would have been very quick to stop me.Also I am not sure they would have been so quick to let me on my first)

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Cameoette

shesty wrote: »
    Dressing gown is handy, although I had a really light cotton one, not a big fleecy one.
    Weirdly I found it most handy at night on babies 2 &3.I brought them into the bed a lot with me, especially my third, as it was the only way I was able to sleep without checking constantly were they crying.....but in order to do that I.had to leave my covers right down around my feet, baby had its own small blanket and I wore the dressing gown to keep me warm.

(Disclaimer on all that now......I breastfed and certainly by the time I got to my third baby, the midwives were happy to let me do things my way.I am sure if I was doing it in an unsafe way they would have been very quick to stop me.Also I am not sure they would have been so quick to let me on my first)

Shesty I’ve packed a super light cotton gown for the same reason! I fed lying down after a c section on my second (especially helpful the second night) and the midwives were happy to let me. Gown with a nursing vest underneath helped me get the boob out but arms and legs stayed warm. Not that you are ever really cold in the wards 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

Biscuits! Nice ones!
    You get plenty of tea but would have killed for a biscuit!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Rebel83

Thanks ladies. I'll put the light dressing gown back in the bag so! I also don't recall seeing nursing bras on the list from the hospital but my friend assures next they are a must!

Rebel83 wrote: »
    Thanks ladies. I'll put the light dressing gown back in the bag so! I also don't recall seeing nursing bras on the list from the hospital but my friend assures next they are a must!

Defo bring the dressing gown. I just had a cheap light one from dunnes €10! I was only in a shared room for say 2 hours but I was glad I had it!!
    Didn’t bother using it once I was in my own room.

I packed nursing bras....one for each day. Tbh I could of done with more! I was in the Rotunda. I couldn’t open my window because of building works!!! It was so hot plus I always get post pregnancy sweats too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I had a small case with me and a big case in the boot of my husbands car. I knew everything in it and would send him down for x, y, z lol. I also did sandwich bags for all outfits but with three extra vests the second time around as he didn't always ruin the babygro. I did go through every single outfit I had on the second night on my first because he burst out of every nappy that night!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

I’m a FTM, still early days yet - going for my 12week booking appointment on Wednesday in Holles street.
    Quick question - did anyone bring snacks with them? I know in the grand scheme of things it seems insignificant, but do they have a policy about it? Like if I packed a pack of biscuits, maybe a multi pack of bars and stuff like fruit gum/fruit pastilles? I’m a grazer :D

Did anyone bring in a tablet with them? Or is it basically you have no time to go on a tablet :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

I’m a FTM, still early days yet - going for my 12week booking appointment on Wednesday in Holles street. Quick question - did anyone bring snacks with them? I know in the grand scheme of things it seems insignificant, but do they have a policy about it? Like if I packed a pack of biscuits, maybe a multi pack of bars and stuff like fruit gum/fruit pastilles? I’m a grazer

Definitely bring snacks, you'll be ravenous especially if you breastfeed.
    Did anyone bring in a tablet with them? Or is it basically you have no time to go on a tablet

I brought a book and puzzle book last time but between baby feeding and the phone hopping I didnt look at either, despite being in for 8 nights. Limitations on visiting hours this time though there could be times you'd be glad of it. I wouldn't expect to have much time for it but if you're used to it at home then maybe itll be handy

Advertisement