Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Resident Evil Megathread

Options

Comments

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Why is the Resi 3 remake so crap?

It's not. It might be underwhelming but it's enjoyable.

No where near the worst game.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

I've seen suggestions that because many gamers complained that Mr. X was too stressful in the Resident Evil 2 remake, that the developers possibly took that feedback on board and reduced the Nemesis presence to two or three relatively brief free roaming sequences where he's chasing you around the levels and from the mid way point of the game reduced his rule further to solely scripted boss appearances.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,153 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Why is the Resi 3 remake so crap?

It has nothing of what makes Resi Resi. It's a linear series of sequences with no puzzles, no exploration and far too many QTE's. Nemesis was a pale imitation of what he was in the original RE3.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

It has nothing of what makes Resi Resi. It's a linear series of sequences with no puzzles, no exploration and far too many QTE's. Nemesis was a pale imitation of what he was in the original RE3.

You think RE6 does a better job of being a Resi game than RE3 remake? That is certainly an opinion alright

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,153 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Markitron wrote: »
    You think RE6 does a better job of being a Resi game than RE3 remake? That is certainly an opinion alright

That's not what I said. I said that it's a better game than RE3 remake and I stand by that.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Azza wrote: »
    I've seen suggestions that because many gamers complained that Mr. X was too stressful in the Resident Evil 2 remake

That's because he shouldn't have been in it. Should have been B only like the original. No wonder people didn't like it if he was one of the first things you run into.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Mr X was great in the remake, if you found his addition to the game too "difficult" or in anyway stressful its time to admit computer games are not for you. :rolleyes:

Not being elitist, just think its important we dont listen to cry babies that want gaming to devolve into mindless button mashing interactive movies.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,226 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I do think in a sense that Nemesis is much harder to deal with than Mr.X, all else being equal. However, Nemesis' difficulty is offset by so many things:

- He's limited to much smaller sections of the game rather than how long you might spend with Mr.X being a persistent threat when figuring out where to go
    - He usually appears in much larger areas so easier to try get around
    - Jill's dodging ability
    - More weaponry & ammunition due to the more action-orientated gameplay
    - RE3 being far more linear than RE2
    - Most times you're only dealing with Nemesis, whereas when trying to escape or avoid Mr.X you're dealing with everything else in the RPD which may even draw his attention to your location

And so even though Nemesis is the tougher enemy, dealing with Nemesis became more of an annoyance than the feeling of dread you'd get from realising Mr.X was even nearby.

nix wrote: »
    Mr X was great in the remake, if you found his addition to the game too "difficult" or in anyway stressful its time to admit computer games are not for you. :rolleyes:

I think that his implementation was largely grand but flawed. The original game had him as a B-scenario only element and I think that that would have been the way to go. It would have made the A and B scenarios less repetitive.
    nix wrote: »
    Not being elitist, just think its important we dont listen to cry babies that want gaming to devolve into mindless button mashing interactive movies.. :)

Indeed. That's possibly why we got such an abysmal RE3 remake. Sad thing was that I thought they nailed the supporting characters' redesigns. Nemesis looked amazing in the 10 minutes he's there in his original form.

H. H. Asquith

Developers can't appease everyone.

I've seen complaints that Mr X was too stressful and others complain that it was stupid and immersion breaking that Mr. X couldn't go into safe rooms and other rooms (like the clock tower puzzle and the STARS room) and that he was too easy to avoid.

Problem with gaming message boards is they going can give a false impression so easily. People who are enjoying a game are too busy playing to post up comments but someone who dislikes the game will intermediately grab his pitch fork before going online.

Look at the steam forum for any game just after its release and you will have a chunk of posters saying this is the buggiest game in the history of mankind.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

madcabbage wrote: »
    RE2 will always eclipse RE2 remake, as much as that was a great game. Storywise i think the original was better.

Yeah the story of the remake must be a little odd for anyone who didn't play the original, like why do these people who barely know each other act so friendly?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Greyfox

That's not what I said. I said that it's a better game than RE3 remake and I stand by that.

RE3 remake is far better than 6, it's short but fun while it lasts. Its a little disappointing compared to the amazing RE2 remake but it does have the same combat and item management making the game very Resident Evil, the reviews for RE3 remake are quite accurate.

Greyfox wrote: »
    RE3 remake is far better than 6, it's short but fun while it lasts. Its a little disappointing compared to the amazing RE2 remake but it does have the same combat and item management making the game very Resident Evil, the reviews for RE3 remake are quite accurate.

I'm going to disagree. As deeply flawed as RE6 was, it has tons of content. 3 campaigns, an unlockable fourth campaign and the best incarnation of the mercenaries mode. RE3 remake's campaign is at most half of one of RE6's main campaigns and completely lacks a mercenaries mode. It's not much more than a string of scripted sequences which play out identically for everyone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

As good as Resident Evil 4 is (and I did really enjoy playing it), it always irked me that it was the game that moved the franchise away from zombies.

The Ganado of 4 and Majini of 5 just didn't hold a candle to the horror element of the walking dead. I guess it's a nostalgia thing as I can remember the craic of playing 1, 2 & 3 with my flatmates in college, shítting ourselves as we entered a new area with the distinct moan and shuffle of a zombie emanating from somewhere off camera.

I really enjoyed Leon's chapter's in Resi 6 for this very reason (the rest...not quite as much).

Thought the RE 2 remake was awesome, and am looking forward to the RE 3 remake (when it drops in price). Have only got around to playing a demo for 7...I say it's because I don't have time, but really it's because the creepy family freak me out!:rolleyes:

Le Bruise wrote: »
    I really enjoyed Leon's chapter's in Resi 6 for this very reason (the rest...not quite as much).

Thought the RE 2 remake was awesome, and am looking forward to the RE 3 remake (when it drops in price). Have only got around to playing a demo for 7...I say it's because I don't have time, but really it's because the creepy family freak me out!:rolleyes:

Yeah Leon's campaign was quite decent actually.

In fairness to RE3 Remake it did come bundled with Resident Evil Resistance which was meant to be pretty decent.

I know people will say say no one asked for it. But no one asked for mercenary mode either when we first got that either.

Fair enough if people just aren't interested in multiplayer games though.

Azza wrote: »
    Yeah Leon's campaign was quite decent actually.

In fairness to RE3 Remake it did come bundled with Resident Evil Resistance which was meant to be pretty decent.

I know people will say say no one asked for it. But no one asked for mercenary mode either when we first got that either.

Fair enough if people just aren't interested in multiplayer games though.

I liked Leon's campaign as well. It had the most in common with classic Resi. Chris's could have been decent but was plagued by ammo shortages while being action focused. I had to have the AI partner, Piers fight the final boss as I only had a knife.

I don't think the comparison between Resistance and Mercenaries is fair. One is an extra mode using already created assets as an unlockable extra, the other used up precious dev time and was thrown in to flog microtransactions on the back of a single player game.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

For anyone interested, my friend Paddy is in the middle of a 24 hour twitch stream for charity and is currently playing OG Resi 3.

http://www.twitch.tv/letssurvivepaddyplays

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭brady12

Having never played any resi evils I’m struggling through the first one on ps4 . It’s fair hard managing the inventory !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Only about 24 years behind the rest of ye, but I had a PS1 classic lying around that I haven't been bothering much with apart from the little one having the odd go at Spyro. Had forgotten how addictive Resident Evil was and decided to give it a go.

Downloading the rest of the series to throw on there. I'm pretty sure I completed the game back in the day, but I have absolutely no memory of the game or where anything is, so it's like playing it all over for the first time. Class.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭recyclops

Finished 2 and 3 remakes over the Bank hol weekend.

3 was as bad as I first remembered it, I think the hype killed it for me at first.

I was expecting RE2 again, some great sections in it

• Advertisement

brady12 wrote: »
    Having never played any resi evils I’m struggling through the first one on ps4 . It’s fair hard managing the inventory !

FWIW the first couple of hours is by far the hardest part of that game, push through and things get a bit easier. The inventory management becomes a bit easier when you start unlocking more shortcuts and safe rooms. Try your best to stay on top of the Crimson Heads though, that is gonna be really important.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭ronano

I'm going to disagree. As deeply flawed as RE6 was, it has tons of content. 3 campaigns, an unlockable fourth campaign and the best incarnation of the mercenaries mode. RE3 remake's campaign is at most half of one of RE6's main campaigns and completely lacks a mercenaries mode. It's not much more than a string of scripted sequences which play out identically for everyone.

Entirely agree with the above, the games true failure is that resident evil 2 remake gave them a ****ty version of nemesis. If they even just put that in, it would have been far superior to the boring as ****, tedious cut scene button press of nemesis encounters. The game would have been acceptable as a re2 remake dlc as a stand alone it has very few redeeming qualities.

The price of the thing at release for a 5 hour 30 min campaign is shocking

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Resident Evil 7 was added to the Xbox Game Pass yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Resident Evil 7 was added to the Xbox Game Pass yesterday.

Added to PSnow this week too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

So this is a series rather than a movie, and is coming to Netflix in 2021. There aren't many more details other than it will focus on Leon and Claire, and will be produced and supervised by Capcom’s Hiroyuki Kobayashi.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Can someone recommend me another Resident Evil game? I played 2, 3 and 7. Will be playing 7 in VR soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Can someone recommend me another Resident Evil game? I played 2, 3 and 7. Will be playing 7 in VR soon.

Play the first and the 4th as they are the best 2 games in the series, imo.

Well RE4 is the not only the best game of all time, it’s probably mankind’s greatest ever achievement, so that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

To be honest all the main titled games are worth playing. Especially when there are remakes of the first 3 games.

Resident Evil 5 is amazing fun, mostly if you have someone for co-op, but still a decent game.

It gets a ton of hate but Resident Evil 6 is also fun to play though it is basically a brainless action game.

If you're feeling more the vibe of the first game, Revelations is good too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭greensausage

Markitron wrote: »
    Well RE4 is the not only the best game of all time, it’s probably mankind’s greatest ever achievement, so that.

I think I must be the only resident evil fan who doesn't like re4, don't get me wrong the game play is decent, it just doesn't feel like an re game to me, I think its just the settinging it looks like Leon has time traveled back to the 17th century and he's not battling zombies instead it a cult. I think if it had been a completely separate ip I would have loved it but just can't take to it.
    It was also the first step to a more action orientated game rather than survival horror.

Advertisement