Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Times Ireland/Sunday Times Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Chopper Dave

I did like the iPad app so found it strange that they upped the price and reduced the offering at the same time. I cancelled although as others have noticed it's not an easy process!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

I dont like the new iPad app, I much preferred the pervious version because it was more like reading the actual Irish edition of the newspaper. Now the Irish paper is a separate tab and I thought the previous sideways scrolling between pages was much better.

I got the email a few weeks ago about the price increase so I cancelled my paypal payments to them and then re-subbed via the app store on iOS as the price has not been increased there yet. I will be cancelling that as soon as it does rise. While I appreciate it and the Irish news parts of the paper, those parts seem tacked on and much less integral than before. And they cut a lot of Irish journos and writers recently so it is hard to justify a price increase as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

I never really used it, but in my own twisted logic, I was happy to pay a fiver not to read it, but not a tenner, so cancelled today.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,642 ✭✭✭corks finest

I never really used it, but in my own twisted logic, I was happy to pay a fiver not to read it, but not a tenner, so cancelled today.

I was on the same boat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭AngryLips

I still seem to be on 5 Euro a month, they never contacted me (checked spam). It renewed again automatically this week at 5 Euro. Puzzling.

I'm the same, still no price increase. I'm paying by carrier billing - I wonder if that's the reason why...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭jakdublin

AngryLips wrote: »
    I'm the same, still no price increase. I'm paying by carrier billing - I wonder if that's the reason why...

I subscribe through the Apple App Store and I presume that's why the price hasn't increased for me. It's the only way I'd subscribe to a newspaper service. No way am I subscribing to a service where I have to call somebody to cancel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ablelocks

i don't mind having to call to cancel, anytime i've had to it has resulted in an extended or new offer (vodafone, irishtimes, bord gais, sky are ones that come to mind)

And usually, you end up talking to someone nice - i had a lovely chat with a times customer service lady yesterday - she hadn't been aware that the irish news had been pulled from the epaper and thought it was a stupid thing to do.

I got 6 months more service for €5 and a credit for the extra €4.99 that i paid in april bill.

ablelocks wrote: »
    i don't mind having to call to cancel, anytime i've had to it has resulted in an extended or new offer (vodafone, irishtimes, bord gais, sky are ones that come to mind)

And usually, you end up talking to someone nice - i had a lovely chat with a times customer service lady yesterday - she hadn't been aware that the irish news had been pulled from the epaper and thought it was a stupid thing to do.

I got 6 months more service for €5 and a credit for the extra €4.99 that i paid in april bill.

That’s fair enough I suppose. It is bizarre that the increase comes when they pulled the Irish content. I’m happy enough to continue for the fiver. The international content and magazines are worth it

Rang today to cancel as for 10 euro a month the paltry daily content is not worth it. Lad I was speaking to said he didn't blame me as I would basically get the daily content, about 11 articles, for free with the Irish Times and such, but said that the Irish content will be greatly increasing soon as they have/are hiring journalists and it will be back to a similar level as it was before the Irish content was culled a couple of years ago, and this is why the price has doubled. Asked me to try it for the next six months at the continued price of 5 euro and see what I think. Was fair enough I thought so I agreed. Good news if daily Irish content increases.

Thanks for the reminder to ring up. I rang up and was offered 3 months for €5 but got it increased to 6 months. Will see how it is at the end of the 6 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Kilteragh

Anyone notice the monthly free kindle book is no longer free outside the UK? Raging as I paid for the last two thinking they were free and used credit from a gift card. Managed to return the latest one for a refund.

I'm sure they must have informed me of the updated Ts & Cs but I missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Glebee

Daily Irish content (apart from sunday)has been worse than normal recently. Hope they up tgere game. Also the new android app is not a patch on the old one.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭jayjbe

I noticed there’s been more Irish articles last couple of weeks. Not saying ‘content’ was good or better though.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Butson

Is the free movie with Rakuten gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Glebee

Butson wrote: »
    Is the free movie with Rakuten gone?

All thats available to irish users of Times+ is a free ebook every now and again it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Butson

Glebee wrote: »
    All thats available to irish users of Times+ is a free ebook every now and again it seems

That's not great now is it. I know its a pretty but almost all subscriptions / Patreons etc now come with some benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

Butson wrote: »
    That's not great now is it. I know its a pretty but almost all subscriptions / Patreons etc now come with some benefits.

I suppose from the Times POV, the subscription amount is quite low compared to what it was when they launched and offered goodies......a few years ago i needed to subscribe as i was working abroad and didnt mind the 25 odd a month outlay....got a free Ipad mini when i signed on....then when it came to renewal, i asked if they'd honour the latest offer of a free bose speaker if i renewed and they did so happy days, i got a free ipad and bose speaker out of them....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

I've had no end of trouble with them - they said my €5 deal was up, so I said I'd leave. They relented and gave me another 12 months at €5.
    Proceeded to charge me €10 for 2 months until I copped. Argued with them, got refund. Had to set up new payment. Took out correct €5 for 2 months. Doesn't seem to have come out last month.

Get this today - seriously WTF - see the line I've bolded. It's a friggin €5 newspaper subscription, payment system gone wrong, and they are threatening me with language that suggests more than just stopping access!!

I'm cancelling for good now, not taking shít like that from a paper I was "supporting". Yes, I ignored their last 1 email (not several) as I was sick of the last ordeal where I had to ring them a few times to clear things up.

EMAIL:

We have attempted to contact you several times regarding the missing payment for your account.

We understand there may be mitigating circumstances; therefore as a gesture of goodwill, we have credited your account for payments in arrears.

Please contact us on (UK) 0207 022 6622, (Ireland) 1800 949 689 or International +44 20 7711 1527 (see howtocallabroad.com/uk for International dialling details) between 8am and 6pm Monday To Friday to ensure that your account is up to date before the next payment is taken.

Please note that further actions may, unfortunately, be brought against you if you do not take action.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭upandcumming

I signed up to the €5 deal and cancelled when the priced was up to €10 with no extra value. Having to go through the ordeal of cancelling by phone ensured that the last experience I've had with them was woeful enough that I will never subscribe again, no matter the price.

I signed up to the €5 deal and cancelled when the priced was up to €10 with no extra value. Having to go through the ordeal of cancelling by phone ensured that the last experience I've had with them was woeful enough that I will never subscribe again, no matter the price.

That happened me before a few years back and I said never again but I saw last year I could subscribe through the Apple Store and cancel there too without having to call. As a bonus, it's still €4.99 in the Apple Store, although it could be different for new subscribers. I wouldn't pay €10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,642 ✭✭✭corks finest

jakdublin wrote: »
    That happened me before a few years back and I said never again but I saw last year I could subscribe through the Apple Store and cancel there too without having to call. As a bonus, it's still €4.99 in the Apple Store, although it could be different for new subscribers. I wouldn't pay €10.

By God never knew that ref apple store etc, just switched to iOS recently and tbh kinda miss the Sunday time’s

• Registered Users Posts: 8,112 ✭✭✭dinneenp

So my half price (€2.50 pm) was expiring. Phoned the UK number (as Irish numbers didn't work) and he's extending the half price for another 6 months. Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Slipperydodger

Irish Examiner offer of €1.80 for first month for the following:

• Complete access to all digital content
    • Available anytime across devices, on irishexaminer.com and Irish Examiner News app
    • Daily ePaper access - an easy-to-navigate, digital replica of the print edition
    • Subscriber-only digital compilation from the Irish Examiner archive
    • Cancel anytime

Thought it was a pretty great offer myself

• Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Producing rubish articles like this https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40373789.html they would have to pay me a tenner a month to read. No one should be encouraging them by paying for that crap.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Finally decided to cancel this after three years. The daily articles are fine but they're too few. I've also been getting increasingly frustrated with the Sunday Times. Taking a child's picture from social media and publishing it alongside the child's name in a negative article about their parent's politics was the last straw. I hope they pay for that.

It's incredibly difficult to cancel. Neither of the Irish phone numbers listed work. In fact, they didn't work when I tried and failed to cancel a few months ago either. The rep on the live chat said I have to call in person to cancel. When I explained that the phone numbers listed don't work and asked if I could send an email instead, they gave me a UK number to ring. No cancel button on the website, no Irish phone number and no cancellation through webchat or email. After a bit of arguing, they finally cancelled it over the chat.

I tried out a Business Post subscription recently. I've just bought a 2 year subscription for €248. It's decent value.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭savemejebus

I had the opposite experience today with their live chat. Neither phone number worked but I went onto chat, explained the situation, declined a 50% discount for 3 months and was cancelled within 5 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭pemtca

I had the same experience, really easy to cancel through live chat!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Just jumping on to say that my 5 euro a month offer was about to expire. They gave me it for 6 months when I rang to cancel the last time. This morning I explained again that I would be cancelling as 10 euro a month was too much for what was being offered. Immediately offered 5er a month again, and this time no expiry put on offer. A great deal at a 5er .

• Registered Users Posts: 43 onetwofourthree

Can I ask - what number did you use to call? I've just been bumped up to a tenner... thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭JTMan

The Irish numbers are 015360818 and 1800949687.

Advertisement