Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yea I don't mean being relaxed about it. But there's a lot of guff going about that can negatively affect people's mental health for no reason.

I thought Varadkar came across very statesmanlike tonight. I thought it was comforting, but also gave people a sense of the serious of what was about to hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

When did Varadkar say they were expecting it to hit 15000 cases?

If it increases by 30% every day after that, one month after 15000, there'll be over 23 million cases here. Scary stuff.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

When did Varadkar say they were expecting it to hit 15000 cases?

If it increases by 30% every day after that, one month after 15000, there'll be over 23 million cases here. Scary stuff.

The whole point about social distancing is to reduce that 30% to as close to 0% as possible, as fast as possible. Cases will rise very quickly now as it is already in the community and many people are unknowingly infected and spreading it to their families. But after a few weeks of social distancing that increase will hopefully slow rapidly, as those infected are just not coming into close contact with people outside their household. It does require huge buy in and discipline from the population though...

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

23 million cases in Ireland would truly be a shocking statistic, for a nation with a population of less than 5 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,981 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

awec wrote: »
    Yea I don't mean being relaxed about it. But there's a lot of guff going about that can negatively affect people's mental health for no reason.

I thought Varadkar came across very statesmanlike tonight. I thought it was comforting, but also gave people a sense of the serious of what was about to hit.

It's not easy. You have a population who are not taking this seriously and they need a kick up the arse. You have another population who are terrified and need to be reassured that the virus is not an automatic death sentence and that we will get through this. Any specific message for one will serve the opposing purpose with the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,001 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Thought Leo did pretty well last night. There was nothing enormously new about it but just projecting an air of competence, letting people know the actions that are being taken, hammering home the seriousness of the situation is worth something (edit - actually it's worth a lot) and I hope people take that message on board.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

aloooof wrote: »

This is surely way more a combination of how the symptoms present and social dynamics rather than the attributes of the virus.

errlloyd wrote: »
    This is surely way more a combination of how the symptoms present and social dynamics rather than the attributes of the virus.

Agreed, it'd be useful if that was cross-referenced with demographics for the total numbers tested to get something more meaningful.

• Advertisement

Seems the panic buying is worse in the UK than we are seeing here. I think the lack of leadership is a big part of this.

Leo's speech was important for a lot of reasons, but for those of us with relatives or family who are front line healthcare workers it was an important reminder to us to completely look after them while they are dealing with this surge of patients we have coming.

My local Tesco in Phibsborough was reasonably well stocked last night. I think it could be because it has a tiny tiny car park so most traffic to it is on foot but there was loads of toilet roll for example, there was fresh veg, I bought bread, eggs, milk etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I think stability plays a big part in the lack of panic buying as well. Our government have come out and said supply chains will remain operating, our economy isn't under stress due to external factors (yet), we've rolled out strong policies for those in need and backing for anyone under financial strain, and leadership are taking proactive steps to mitigate the spread of the virus.

Compare that to Bojo and Co, with an economy under stress already from Brexit and no clear strategy being relayed to the people, it's going to cause the population to panic and fear the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Supermarkets are cleaned out here, was in 2 massive Asdas and an Aldi yesterday no milk, no bread, no rice, no pasta, very little fruit and veg fresh or frozen. Got some milk in the small co-op across the road thank ****

I think stability plays a big part in the lack of panic buying as well. Our government have come out and said supply chains will remain operating, our economy isn't under stress due to external factors (yet), we've rolled out strong policies for those in need and backing for anyone under financial strain, and leadership are taking proactive steps to mitigate the spread of the virus.

Compare that to Bojo and Co, with an economy under stress already from Brexit and no clear strategy being relayed to the people, it's going to cause the population to panic and fear the worst.

What policies are these?

What policies are these?

Welfare pay of 305 a week for anyone who's been tested and confirmed to have the virus, 6 weeks emergency jobseekers at the full rate for anyone laid off as a result of businesses temporarily closing. Add to that the supports being rolled out to elderly/sick people and the speed we're mobilising testing at compared to the likes of the UK and US, we're currently at 6 to 7 times more tests per capita in the same period.

I'm expecting we'll also see a further announcement about Donohoe's meeting with the banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,981 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

What's the plan for Croker, would a big carpark and a marquee not do the trick?

Neil3030 wrote: »

It's already in place apparently, they're testing 400 a day or something by appointment. You drive in to the tunnel where the buses go in under the stands and they've 8 bays or so where you park up and they take an oral and nasal test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Yeah there's a video of it going round WhatsApp

Neil3030 wrote: »

Possibly but why not use the facility that's there already? There's a video as mentioned, it's drive-thru testing, you don't even need to get out of your car. Seems a pretty good setup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭swiwi_

The anti-vaccination lobby will have their work cut out for them...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

swiwi_ wrote: »
    The anti-vaccination lobby will have their work cut out for them...

Couple of those silly whatsapp groups I'm in, I have (some of the) people who are anti-vaccers and they're still going on about "keeping that **** away from me". Vaccines, that is, not the virus. The mind boggles given what's gone on.

You can't reason with these f*ckers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Couple of those silly whatsapp groups I'm in, I have (some of the) people who are anti-vaccers and they're still going on about "keeping that **** away from me". Vaccines, that is, not the virus. The mind boggles given what's gone on.

You can't reason with these f*ckers.

I’m sure St Peter at the pearly gates will be up for a debate

Welfare pay of 305 a week for anyone who's been tested and confirmed to have the virus, 6 weeks emergency jobseekers at the full rate for anyone laid off as a result of businesses temporarily closing. Add to that the supports being rolled out to elderly/sick people and the speed we're mobilising testing at compared to the likes of the UK and US, we're currently at 6 to 7 times more tests per capita in the same period.

I'm expecting we'll also see a further announcement about Donohoe's meeting with the banks.

Yup.

https://www.thejournal.ie/banks-mortages-loans-paschal-5049764-Mar2020/

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Tom Brady's association with the Patriots are no more. It's going to be odd watching Brady line out for the Buccaneers.

What does our resident bucsfan think?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

swiwi_ wrote: »
    I’m sure St Peter at the pearly gates will be up for a debate

Most of them aren't the ones that'll die, though, that's the problem - others die for their stupidity.

Had a digital session with the physio this morning, he told me he has to give me a program and leave me to it because he has effectively been drafted into the HSE. He said most physios will just take over outpatient, to free up the regular hospital physios to move on to more serious stuff, but he has ICU experience so fair play to him.

Heard 20,000 people volunteered in the last day to help the HSE. Ireland might never go to war again, but I imagine this is vaguely what it would feel like.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

The Chinese have reported that they've had very good success rates treating people with a Japanese developed flu treatment.
    Patients who were given the medicine in Shenzhen turned negative for the virus after a median of four days after becoming positive, compared with a median of 11 days for those who were not treated with the drug, public broadcaster NHK said.

In addition, X-rays confirmed improvements in lung condition in about 91% of the patients who were treated with favipiravir, compared to 62% for those without the drug.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    The Chinese have reported that they've had very good success rates treating people with a Japanese developed flu treatment.

The second sentence is the good one. 60% 90% percent improved. or if inverted it means that 40% of people had lunch problems previously now only 10% do. A huge result for what could be the biggest burden on medical resources.

• Advertisement

errlloyd wrote: »
    Had a digital session with the physio this morning, he told me he has to give me a program and leave me to it because he has effectively been drafted into the HSE. He said most physios will just take over outpatient, to free up the regular hospital physios to move on to more serious stuff, but he has ICU experience so fair play to him.

Heard 20,000 people volunteered in the last day to help the HSE. Ireland might never go to war again, but I imagine this is vaguely what it would feel like.

Saw somewhere on twitter as well (it's hard to keep track of all the content) that 24 doctors were coming home from Australia to help here. It's pretty amazing stuff.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement