Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slimming World

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Vahevala wrote: »
    I am really at the end of my tether with SW and I have really thought about throwing in the towel. Last week out of nowhere I gained 1lb and this week I maintained and yet I am following the plan to the letter. I am fed up, upset and frustrated. :mad::(

I am going on holiday next Wednesday so won't be weighing in next week (as I usually weigh in on Thursdays), it has actually got to the point that even if I could weigh in, I can't bear to sit through image therapy and go through the motions... to make it worse last night, my Consultant kept saying that I have lost 6 stone, no I haven't (not on SW anyway), I am 1.5 lbs away from it. :mad::mad:

Sorry for the negative post but it really is something that is frustrating me now. maybe the drinking of the squash doesn't agree with me so will have to give it up.

What exercise are you doing now Vahevala? I know you were running at one stage - have you kept that up? What about strengthening exercises to build muscle? How far in total are you from your goal weight? I know I've read people who lose 100lbs + may struggle to reach their 'goal' weight due to the weight of excess skin. I've read blogs of people who have had 14 or 15pounds of skin removed :eek: Your weight loss will also slow dramatically as you reach your target. Don't give up as you have been a great inspiration to a lot of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

I was up 0.5lb last night. To be honest I was annoyed enough about it. Apart from Saturday night when my OH and I essentially split a bar of Galaxy I followed the plan to the letter all week. Ah well. Onwards and upwards. I bought myself some new clothes for work and a cheap coat in Penneys to cheer myself up after work today and it worked :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

Thanks everyone, I am feeling a bit better about it now. I am not running anymore, with my working day & commuting time, exercise is virtually out of the question, I mainly do walking now and fit it in where I can.

I am going to plod on till Wednesday and then relax on holiday and whatever will be... I think because I have 7 lbs to go, I have lost 108 lbs in total and I know I will have excess skin and not much will change that lol. I just want to lose the lbs now and get frustrated when I follow the plan and nothing happens!

As long as I get there by Christmas, I will be happy... I can but hope anyway :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Here's something i was pondering while freezing my bum off in work today: if you had unlimited funds, maybe after a lottery win or on receipt of a ridiculous inheritance from a long lost relative (my only viable prospects of acquiring significant funds!) and were in my position of having a bit of excess skin following weight loss, would you get nipped and tucked?
    I can't decide - not sure if I could justify the risk of surgery for my vanity!
    Any thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

dee_mc wrote: »
    Here's something i was pondering while freezing my bum off in work today: if you had unlimited funds, maybe after a lottery win or on receipt of a ridiculous inheritance from a long lost relative (my only viable prospects of acquiring significant funds!) and were in my position of having a bit of excess skin following weight loss, would you get nipped and tucked?
    I can't decide - not sure if I could justify the risk of surgery for my vanity!
    Any thoughts?

It depends. Have a massive scar or excess skin, if the skin wasn't too bad/dangly, I think I'd leave it, rather than go through the pain and recovery of major surgery. That being said, if I had millions so I could pay someone to wait on me while recovering and could pay the best plastic surgeon and still have loads of money left, I probably would. But if it wasn't a massive amount of money, like less than a few hundred grand, I could think of way better things to spend it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Mondo123

Evening all, had a great weight loss this week of 4lbs! Was buzzing after but as it's midterm was away with the family in a hotel so I had no control over my food for the last couple of days.
    Trying to be really good for the next few days staying to syns of 5/7 a day to help damage control!! Id be delighted with a sts but after the couple of days away and it being star week, I'm already fearful. Fingers crossed! Here's to a good on plan weekend ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Mondo123

Also vahevala, be very proud of what you have achieved it is truly amazing. You really must stay positive as your weightless journey is inspirational. There is also no doubt that You will make your target!! 😊 Don't give up your on the home stretch 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭thisistough

Hi all, I'm only a few weeks in on SW, I lost 3.5 first week, missed next weigh in and then gained 2 on Wednesday (not shocked). I'm feeling really down about myself recently, I have at least 4 stone to lose and I just can't help comparing myself to the people around me in college being all tiny!

My main problem is that I'm finding it really tough time wise to be able to fit anything in, I'm out of the house at 7 and back home at about 11:30pm every day of the week between college and work. I suppose it's just 23 years of terrible habits but I hate salads, fruits, vegetables, pretty much anything healthy! Yesterday I got to 7pm before realising I had only eaten a banana all day, and then I ended up bingeing on crap in the evening.

I had bought a nutribullet a few weeks ago as it seems to be the texture of fruit that I hate, but my consultant told me that they're terrible and I shouldn't be using it so I'm not. I'm essentially having branflakes with banana and 1% milk most mornings if I have time and then end up completely off plan for the rest of the day.

I'm losing faith, more in my own ability more than the plan, and don't really know what to do anymore. It's so inspiring to see the posters on here who have had such great success and have such great willpower to get to that stage, but I'm feeling like I'll never be able to do it

Does anyone have any successions with regards to how to keep on track and how to incorporate speed into the day when you really hate pretty much everything on the list? Pasta salads in particular would be great if anyone has any recipes that worked well for them.

I know this probably comes across very 'woe is me' but I'm feeling so lost at the moment, I don't have a spare minute to get my head together and don't know what to do

Edit: Vahelava I just wanted to add that I've been following your posts and seeing your success was one of the reasons I decided that I need to get my life in order. The results you have are truly outstanding and I can't even begin to imagine the commitment you've put in to get the results you've had!

Hi thisistough, welcome!
    I know where you're coming from with the taste of fruit and veg - when I started SW I wasn't in the habit of eating fruit and only ate tiny portions of a very limited number of vegetables. The good news is that once I started eating more veg and less rubbish food, I found that the taste of the veg seemed much more pleasant! I started to enjoy salads and now they are part of my routine. If you find salads boring, experiment with dressings and sauces - today i had a big salad of rocket, lambs lettuce, carrits, peppers, celery, leftover rare beef, Worcestershire sauce, cajun seasoning and lemon juice - it was bloody gorgeous! But without the sauce and seasining it would've been grim. I also gradually introduced more fruit and now I absolutely love it! I never really liked apples but haven't looked back since I discovered Pink Lady apples, I love them.
    Re getting on plan, first thing you could do would be to grab a couple of highlighters and tackle that list of speed foods - for example, mark anything you like with a yellow highlighter, anything you could take or leave with pink, stuff you actively dislike with blue and ones you've never tried with orange. Base your shopping list/menu plan around the fruit and veg that you like and don't mind the taste of, that should get you through the first few days. Then start introducing the things you've never tried before - lidl is great for unusual fruit etc that will keep things interesting for you. After a few weeks you could try some of the stuff you don't like, see if your taste buds have changed like mine have!
    One of the great things about SW is the range of recipes that lend themselves to batch cooking - you could make up big quantities of soups, stews, pasta sauces etc on your day off and freeze them in portions to use for your lunch and dinner. If you don't have access to a hob or microwave during the day, many of these would be suitable for bringing with you in a flask if you heated them through in the morning. Lots of people in my group love Mug Shots, have a little box of carrot sticks or fruit and a pack of cooked meat nearby and you've got a filling, fairly well balanced meal that's ready in a couple of minutes.
    Well done for joining, well done on your first week loss, and well done you for wanting to stick with the plan - once you get organised you'll be flying it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

+1 on what Dee said. Your taste buds will change. Throughout college I ate only processed crap and the thoughts of fruit and veg turned my stomach but once you start experimenting, you will find things you like. I find if I have an off plan week with lots of junk food, I crave healthy food after I get sick of the junk food but it does take a day or 2 to get back into liking it again and once you start eating it, you will love it. Even just try a few new things a week. Go for the sweeter fruit to begin with, berries, melon, pineapple etc. Try roasting your veg (carrots, butternut squash etc), that makes them much more palatable. Also, things like radishes or vine tomatoes are tasty in a salad, pay the bit extra for the nicer stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

I'm going to try sp for a few days from tomorrow. I read about it online on the SW website but want to be sure I understand it. No carbs, two healthy extra b, every meal is s an p with at least half of the meal as speed. Any tips or advice please?

I'm going to try sp for a few days from tomorrow. I read about it online on the SW website but want to be sure I understand it. No carbs, two healthy extra b, every meal is s an p with at least half of the meal as speed. Any tips or advice please?

You need to have 50% of your plate as speed and 50% as protein, it isn't no carbs, it is low carb as you could have your two healthy B as bread lol.

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,310 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Another one here who didn't eat fruit or veg much before SW

My tip is that if you're cooking a curry or bolognese or similar; pack it with veg. In our curry we have tons of mushrooms, 1/2 carrots, 1/2 onions, peppers, tomatoes, carton of passata (as well as all the spices). That makes four meals (dinner and leftover lunch for 2).

Get something like melon and pineapple and cut them into cubes and freeze them. In the evening watching telly it tastes like a little treat

On apples, try all sorts. I like Granny Smiths. My wife hates them. She's a pink lady type :)

Oh and for salad eating the key is the dressing. I have no bother using syns on Caesar dressing as I can't eat a salad without a nice dressing. The only deviation from that is now and again I use feta when I don't want to carry a bottle of dressing around with me

How long would that last in the fridge, Dodge?

It lasts at least a week. Probably more
    Tabasco, interesting, I will try that! Cheers for the recipe. I always use roasted garlic in soup, must remember to throw a bulb of it in the oven tonight with whatever I make for dinner.
    Do you think the beef stock makes a difference? I always use veg stock, wonder if that's where I'm going wrong?

Couldn't tell you on the stock. i just do what I'm told when it comes to soup.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭LittleMissDiva

Anyone else here tried the Weetabix cake? I'm sure someone recommended it to me on this thread. Just made it this evening and it's so good! I added some extra spices (nutmeg, ginger and cinnamon as well as mixed spice) and I used 40g All Bran instead of the Weetabix, and it's so yummy! Had it with a sneaky bit of real butter, heaven :)
    This is the recipe I used:
    Preheat oven to 160 degrees (fan) or 180 degrees (non fan) or gas mark 4. Line a 1lb loaf tin with parchment or non stick baking paper.
    Take 2 Weetabix OR 40g All Bran and place in a mixing bowl.
    Add 200ml skimmed milk and leave to soak for 2 to 3 minutes, then mash with a fork.
    Add 100g sultanas, 100g self raising flour, 1 tsp mixed spice, 2 tablespoons sweetener and 2 large eggs, beaten, and beat together.
    Pour into tin and bake for an hour.
    Remove from tin but leave the paper on, and cool on a wire rack.
    Edited to add syn value - 3.5 syns per slice, cuts into 12 slices :)

I made it yesterday but only with 50gr of sultans and 50gr of flour as the syn value was way to high for me per slice - turned out very well (too well :p) I will give it a try tonight with quark as we have a taster tomorrow in group :)

I am really at the end of my tether with SW and I have really thought about throwing in the towel. Last week out of nowhere I gained 1lb and this week I maintained and yet I am following the plan to the letter. I am fed up, upset and frustrated. :mad::(

I am going on holiday next Wednesday so won't be weighing in next week (as I usually weigh in on Thursdays), it has actually got to the point that even if I could weigh in, I can't bear to sit through image therapy and go through the motions... to make it worse last night, my Consultant kept saying that I have lost 6 stone, no I haven't (not on SW anyway), I am 1.5 lbs away from it. :mad::mad:

Sorry for the negative post but it really is something that is frustrating me now. maybe the drinking of the squash doesn't agree with me so will have to give it up.

please dont give up! since the start of the year I'm up one week and the next week I'm down. I even had a GAIN of 4lbs for a week beeing perfect on plan - frustrating is not even the word how I feel! But I know if I would give up now all the 9 1/2 stones I have lost in this 18 months would be back on me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Had my weigh in yesterday and after dreading it as I felt I wasn't great during the week/weekend I lost 1.5lbs, making me 3lbs under my target! I also got slimmer of the week, my other half find it hilarious how I do a little dance while I put my magnet on the fridge lol

I'm going to change my target next week which will mean I've 4lbs to lose and bring me to an over all loss of 3 stone!

Hope everyone get on well this week :)

m'lady wrote: »
    Had my weigh in yesterday and after dreading it as I felt I wasn't great during the week/weekend I lost 1.5lbs, making me 3lbs under my target! I also got slimmer of the week, my other half find it hilarious how I do a little dance while I put my magnet on the fridge lol

I'm going to change my target next week which will mean I've 4lbs to lose and bring me to an over all loss of 3 stone!

Hope everyone get on well this week :)

Wow well done. That's brilliant. I'm on day three of sp. It's easier to organise than I thought so hopefully I have a result not this week but next week

Wow well done. That's brilliant. I'm on day three of sp. It's easier to organise than I thought so hopefully I have a result not this week but next week

Thank you tickingclock! I'm so happy, I never, ever thought I'd get this far, I've struggled with my weight for years, and joined ww and sw too many times that I care to remember and never stuck at it!

I've been doing SP for a couple of days each week and I find it's definitely helping me. I find dinners a bit awkward, as I'm a non meat and fish eater.. What do you have for dinner on these days?
    I'm sure you will get a result next week :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Barefoot123

Hi All! I started SW last Thursday and have been reading this thread since then! To say that I am inspired by everyone's progress is an understatement. I have tried every diet imaginable and have lost weight with relative ease but then always put it back on with some more added on! So I am really hoping that this is for me and that I can get into a good, healthy eating routine that I can keep going with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Welcome barefoot. If you need any help or advice on the plan just shout. Hope your first week is going well so far.

Thank you tickingclock! I'm so happy, I never, ever thought I'd get this far, I've struggled with my weight for years, and joined ww and sw too many times that I care to remember and never stuck at it!

I've been doing SP for a couple of days each week and I find it's definitely helping me. I find dinners a bit awkward, as I'm a non meat and fish eater.. What do you have for dinner on these days?
    I'm sure you will get a result next week :)

I'm afraid I'm a big meat and fish eater so therfore if I have steak I have lots of speed veg with it and it's not unlike a regular idea. I'm very open to any non meat or fish ideas? I've no ideas for no meat or fish.
    I was down two pounds today. I was thrilled. 4.5 pounds to target which I'm determined to get my Christmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

First day back on plan today, had a great weekend but I am so glad to be getting back to normal, craving fruit and veg yesterday

No weigh in for me this week, I did weigh in today at home and according to my scales, I had a loss this week but shall take it with a pinch of salt just in case lol.

I am off on my holidays tonight so I shall be somewhat off plan for a few days, I may have breakfast on plan, if I gain when I get back, I do... no point stressing :) Everyone needs a break now & then!

On the non scale victory front, I bought a pair of black trousers yesterday, size 10... :D I used to wear size 26 :o:eek:

Welcome along Barefoot123 :)

No weigh in for me this week, I did weigh in today at home and according to my scales, I had a loss this week but shall take it with a pinch of salt just in case lol.

I am off on my holidays tonight so I shall be somewhat off plan for a few days, I may have breakfast on plan, if I gain when I get back, I do... no point stressing :) Everyone needs a break now & then!

On the non scale victory front, I bought a pair of black trousers yesterday, size 10... :D I used to wear size 26 :o:eek:

Welcome along Barefoot123 :)

That's a mega non scales victory. Enjoy the well deserved break. Congrats on all your success at slimming world

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Weighing in tonight after 10 days in America. To say I'm dreading those scales is the understatement of the century. I had a dream the other night that said I had an 8lb gain. I'll take it but I'll need to put in one hell of a week next week. But the only thing is I'm going to go and see what the damage is and not put it off for another week.

Wellyd wrote: »
    Weighing in tonight after 10 days in America. To say I'm dreading those scales is the understatement of the century. I had a dream the other night that said I had an 8lb gain. I'll take it but I'll need to put in one hell of a week next week. But the only thing is I'm going to go and see what the damage is and not put it off for another week.

And as soon as you back on plan you will lose it again. It might be that worse as you think!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭tk123

And as soon as you back on plan you will lose it again. It might be that worse as you think!

Agree with this - I was up 4lbs the week I came back from holsand it was gone the next week!

Stayed the same.........I can't believe it. I'm in complete and total shock

Stayed the same.........I can't believe it. I'm in complete and total shock

Wow that's fantastic, well done! Get back on track now in case it does try and catch up with you!

• Advertisement

Wow that's fantastic, well done! Get back on track now in case it does try and catch up with you!

100% on track now for Christmas! Starting boxercise tomorrow night aswell. I feel like I'd be much smaller if I toned up more so hopefully that'll help!

100% on track now for Christmas! Starting boxercise tomorrow night aswell. I feel like I'd be much smaller if I toned up more so hopefully that'll help!

I love boxercise! I need to tone up a little bit too, might start back at it myself!

Stayed the same, hoping for 1 pound loss next week to get my shiny shiny 5 stone award... oh crap just realised I meant to book a holiday for next week, eek maybe I will make it to a group at some stage next week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Somehow lost a pound this week, despite it being challenging with lots of travelling and not a whole lot of control over my food at times. I guess making good choices the rest of the time still pays off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

First week back and was down 1.5. Thought I would be down more as was totally on plan and felt like I'd lost bit more than that. But I'm still happy. If I was down that every week id be delighted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭okiss

Hello to every one here.

I had not been in sw for 2 weeks. I am an emotional eater and have been dealing with 2 weeks from hell.
    In the past 2 weeks I have eaten 3 takeaways from the local chipper including a 12 inch pizza, 2 indian takeaways inclucding one with onion bajis and both with nana bread.
    Along with this I have kept King crisps and Cadburys in business.

I decided today that I needed to go back to Slimming World and see just how much damage I had done. I was delighted to hear I was just up 2.5 lbs. The saving grace for me was that I had done some walking and been in the gym.

I have cooked a dinner to bring with me to work tomorrow. I got fresh fruit and yougerts to bring with me also. I want that 2.5 lbs gone next week along with 1 or 2 of it's friends.
    Hope everyone here has a good week.

okiss wrote: »
    Hello to every one here.

I had not been in sw for 2 weeks. I am an emotional eater and have been dealing with 2 weeks from hell.
    In the past 2 weeks I have eaten 3 takeaways from the local chipper including a 12 inch pizza, 2 indian takeaways inclucding one with onion bajis and both with nana bread.
    Along with this I have kept King crisps and Cadburys in business.

I decided today that I needed to go back to Slimming World and see just how much damage I had done. I was delighted to hear I was just up 2.5 lbs. The saving grace for me was that I had done some walking and been in the gym.

I have cooked a dinner to bring with me to work tomorrow. I got fresh fruit and yougerts to bring with me also. I want that 2.5 lbs gone next week along with 1 or 2 of it's friends.
    Hope everyone here has a good week.

Good on you for going back, not easy. Hope you have a great week with wonderful results :)

Was at the cinema tonight and brought my own little 'picnic', 2 hifi bars (HEB), 3 mandarins and an apple plus a diet 7up! I actually checked the syns of what I previously would have got and I was shocked!

On another note I was told today that I had been nominated for 'Miss Slinky'! Alongside 3 other girls.. Was delighted but am confused about the whole thing, like what reasons do people nominate a person? Also it was said that the winner would be announced next week, I know I won't win but am just wondering how the winner is decided?

Our group were told to nominate someone in the group that "inspired them" and that was as specific as it got

I got nominated for Mr Slinky. I presume because I'm the only bloke that stays in group any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭al22

Two ladies talk

You know, I lost 800 calories yesterday....

Oohh... I want the same. Please dictate, I will write it down for myself...

... No need, nothing to write down...
    I put a chicken in the owen and forgot to switch owen off....

• Advertisement

The Miss Slinky and Mr Sleek thing is just a little honour within the group, the lady who won it in our group has lost over 5.5 stone in about 8 months and truly is inspirational! The man who won Mr Sleek is one of our only regular attending men and an important part of the group, always good craic during image therapy too!
    I think it's lovely to be nominated for these things, everything is a boost that might help you along the way :)

I think it's lovely to be nominated for these things, everything is a boost that might help you along the way :)

Nooooooooo I hate it - my friend nominates me to annoy me lol! :P

tk123 wrote: »
    Nooooooooo I hate it - my friend nominates me to annoy me lol! :P

Yeah I kind of meant it's lovely for other people, I would see it as an honour for them and blah blah blah but when it's me I'm morto! Morto with just a sprinkling of pleasedand proud, but yeah mostly morto. :P

It means I'll probably not be allowed sit in group in my tatty "weigh in" tracksuit bottoms now.

Yeah I kind of meant it's lovely for other people, I would see it as an honour for them and blah blah blah but when it's me I'm morto! Morto with just a sprinkling of pleasedand proud, but yeah mostly morto. :P

Speaking is cringe worthy enough but so glad I didn't win and have to get my photo taken wearing a sash lol :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

We did nominations and voting the same day so no-one knew if they were nominated (except the winners)

One of my favourite things about SW is that I'm not eating "diet food". I had a turkey and cheese sandwich for my breakfast with fruit for dessert and we'll probably get a Chinese layer, all on plan :)

I'm morto too but chuffed at the same time! There was 3 other girls nominated and I'm wondering will the 4 of us have to talk next week or something? How is the winner decided?

I'm morto too but chuffed at the same time! There was 3 other girls nominated and I'm wondering will the 4 of us have to talk next week or something? How is the winner decided?

With ours it was all done on the one night because of the BH (our group is on Monday). So why did you join SW, why do you like it etc etc Then everyone voted for who they wanted to win. Winner got a sash and pen and we all got a little achievement certificate for being nominated :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

For anyone who likes using some syns on crisps - hula hoop pufts (3.5 syns per pack) are on offer in dunnes.

Usually 2.40 for a six pack. now three euro for THREE six packs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

Well I am in total shock, after getting married last Fri and only getting back on track yesterday I lost 1.5lb this week!! Only thing I can think off is I gained 3.5 last week so maybe I shouldn't have gained that and this week is just evening out??? I dunno but I'm away on honeymoon this weekend and so doubt I'll be so lucky next week. Be grand, I've waited my whole life to loose weight, a few weeks off plan won't kill me, if anything it'll only make me more determined

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement