Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official Christmas FM thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I love Christmas FM, but it ruins so many songs for so many people. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭dubstepper

I don't mind Dolly but the Hippo song is awful. I think @Posy is right , no matter what is played it will piss someone off. I love Last Christmas but it seems many think it is not even a Christmas song.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,162 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I think its when dipping in to listen if you happen to hear one song far too often it just grates and you start to notice it more, we all want a perfect mix when we listen in & logically that's never going to happen given the playlist they work from... I must admit though it seems to be one song each year that gets way more air time than it deserves... though ask 100 people what that is & you'll probably get 25+ different responses 😀

Even at that, I'll still listen in as much as I can & look forward to having it in the car big time.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I was listening online for the last 15 minutes until Last Christmas by Wham came in - had to turn it off then as I have heard that song too much over the years and will no doubt hear it again! Anyway, I particularly enjoyed 2000 Miles by The Pretenders and Merry Christmas Baby by Otis Redding. Obviously the former gets plenty of airplay every year, but the latter is one of those gems that I hear from time to time on Christmas FM and nowhere else. I hope I hear a bit more of that over the next month and a half. Bruce Springsteen's version gets some airplay every year and I quite like that one too.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

From ChristmasFM socials

We’ll be switching on Christmas in Ireland with the launch of our FM station on Monday 28th November. ✨

But you don’t need to wait until then to get your Christmas FM fix. Our presenters are warming up their vocal cords right now on Christmas FM Online. Listen now:

🎶 On ChristmasFM.com

🎶 By asking your smart speaker to “START Christmas FM”

🎶 On the Christmas FM app

Happy listening! 🎄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Nice to have something to look forward to on a Monday! It's usually around midday, isn't it?

yep, midday KO!!

I usually have an internal works meeting from 11-12 so will be pushing for that to finish early!

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

I heard Karl Dawson, who has presented on Christmas FM for the last few years, being interviewed on Newstalk yesterday by Kieran Cuddihy. He was interviewed because he got a lot of reaction for putting up his Christmas tree early. Karl was introduced as the breakfast presenter of 98FM and gave a number of reasons why he had the tree up so early this year. I thought he might have mentioned Christmas FM as another reason, but he never mentioned it at all! Maybe he is no longer involved with Christmas FM - I will look/listen out for him!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Looking forward to the "XMAS" station in my car working again!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I think if you’re under contract for one radio station you’re not allowed promote another. Could be that. The lads on Dermot and Dave mentioned something similar before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭ClaudeVercetti

Listened for about an hour this morning on a walk, was great - it ended with Darlene Love - All Alone on Christmas.

Love that song, I was in New York about 3 years ago and while it wasn't very Christmassy at the time I just kept thinking of that song and the scene from Home Alone 2! Trying to dip in sparingly because I tend to burn myself out come December but this felt a real treat this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭ClaudeVercetti

Gave it a watch on Sunday gone there, couldn't resist 😂

WFH today s have Christmas FM for company before the teams meetings start, already had my first rendition of Elmo & Patsy being run over by a reindeer (grand for the first time, hopefully not the first of dozens as per 2021) but had 'Once upon a Christmas song' too which I think is great and rarely hear after the FM launch.

Agreed with Once upon a Christmas Song, love it. And rarely hear it during FM broadcast but hear it lots during online season.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

Love that one from Home Alone, with the trumpets or whatever.

Also discovered The Waitresses - Christmas Wrapping on Xmas FM one year. Love it! Can't post links.

Good to see more and more people are tuning in and will only build as we get closer to full launch date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Been tuning in this week while cooking dinner it’s great hearing presenters

I can’t wait to see Xmas on the dashboard in the car

Have it on now as have the house to myself for a couple of hours and no meetings. A bit distracting as keep thinking of Christmas things that I want to do this year!!

Teething toddler here yesterday I couldn’t get much done no nap, so set the alarm for some tidying for 20 minutes and blasted Christmas FM, the 2 of us had a great time bopping around 😂 sometimes you just got to do what you got to do

• Advertisement

same, meetings done for the day so have it back on until I finish up.

Just back from a site meeting, so have put Christmas FM again, greeted by my personal favourite, Andy Williams 'The most wonderful time of the year'...

All I'm missing now is the Guinness advert to tell me its so.....

Kylie's 'At Christmas' just came on, had forgotten what an underrated little song that is.

When had it on yesterday, one of the first songs was Darlene Love - Christmas (Baby Please Come Home). Is fast becoming one of my favourites.

Had it on this morning around 9 am I heard stop the Calvary, stomped around the kitchen dancing with the LO she seemed to enjoy it

Have had it on most of the afternoon in between calls & teams meetings, so pleasant to have such cheery background music. This time of year is always incredibly stressful for me with work and Christmas FM is a fantastic addition to my Arsenal of weapons to combat it...

I'll be back in the office for most of next week so wont get the chance to really listen in again until it goes 'live' on FM on the 28th, but it was a nice introduction to the tunes for the most wonderful time of the year.

I always say it there’s something special about hearing the songs on ChristmasFM compared to hearing them on a playlist.

Agree, the randomness of what may be played adds to it, as there'll always be 1 or 2 ones you most definitely would not have on your personal playlist.

As much as I enjoy playlists, the spontaneity of hearing a song you like on the radio can't be beaten.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Starts Monday...

Christmas FM is coming to town for a 15th year of good cheer

• Advertisement

15 years. Wow.... I feel old.

Advertisement