Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One year on from Ms Cash's impassioned speech

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

A good, hard recession might make people more economically conservative and be less supportive of people like Cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭Damien360

Crititicising policy is one thing - maybe you'd favour a benefits cap, such as exists in the UK, for example.

Claiming that this woman is a great drain on your household, or that you personally are paying for her, is quite another thing altogether. That's hyperbole in the extreme. I've just done some quick sums, and a person on 90k per year will pay 20 cent per year to a family of this size with roughly 50k income. That's 20c per year. 4 cent from your monthly pay packet.

This woman is not affecting your life, except by your choice.

You were very vocal on the original Cash thread also for pretty much the same reason.

You fail to see she has put herself on a platform by choice. She made herself a spokeswoman (as long as she thought the media had her back) for homeless people but does not represent decent people at all or homeless people for that matter. She is a crook even if she was just driving the getaway car for the gang that was robbing old people in their homes. Your past is never far away.

What people in the previous thread and this thread are complaining about is a system that rewards laziness. She made herself the representative of similar people and a focal point for anger. She has never worked a day in her life but lives very comfortably from her state income. Better than many people, especially those on minimum wage. But she is not the only one. There are many similar but they keep the head low to the ground. So when you say she costs a worker 4c a month, that's true for her but now multiply that by the rest of those in similar situation and it all begins to add up.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Oxter

Where is she keeping the horse?

In the lift. The stairs would kill him.

Damien360 wrote: »
    So when you say she costs a worker 4c a month, that's true for her but now multiply that by the rest of those in similar situation and it all begins to add up.
    I appreciate that - but I'm only responding to people who claim that they're paying for her, and I'm asking them "how much?" and "is it worth the stress you're getting yourself into?"

Whether or not MC is a chancer, I don't know; I am fully aware that there are other chancers out there, in all walks of life

They are in the minority. They don't have to feature so heavily in your life if you don't want them to. They're not costing you a lot of money, personally, not unless they're one of the domestic banks.

Honestly, there are lads here who clearly stalk the woman's facebook, long after she's stopped being in the news. It's just a bit sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

eviltwin wrote: »
    I don't understand people like Cash. I'm working full time, studying too. I'm constantly tired but I see it as an investment in my future and my kids future. I want to contribute to society, I want to feel I'm doing something positive with my life and making my own way. I want my kids to see that as the norm and have the same work ethic and sense of self respect

How can she, and others like her, feel like they are good parents or good examples to their children when they behave this way?

Travellers have an entirely different morality to the rest of us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

Damien360 wrote: »
    So when you say she costs a worker 4c a month, that's true for her but now multiply that by the rest of those in similar situation and it all begins to add up.

The logic there is risible. It's like saying that if everyone in Ireland gave me a euro, I'd be worth €4.8 million -- and who would really miss one euro? Therefore, I can become a multi-millionaire with no real harm to anyone.

It also ignores the effects across generations. Ms. Cash's seven children are statistically likely to become welfare dependents themselves, and their children in turn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

A good, hard recession might make people more economically conservative and be less supportive of people like Cash.

Given what causes recessions (hint: not Margaret Cash), they tend to make people less economically conservative.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Did she mention the angles?

Yeah she bought the middle angle a pony, that's normally the kind of thing the upper class Foxrock types do, yet she is unemployed (apparently 'working class').

Anyway the gubbermint is robbing her blind.

westcork67 wrote: »
    She drives me nuts! However one of the posters above is correct - this is because our weak-willed politicians live in mortal fear of the media which in the main is controlled by a left-wing agenda. Our anger should be towards them and the media much more so than against the Cash's of this world - they see an opportunity to screw the taxpayer legally and they avail of it.

The surreptitious undermining of true democracy in this country by the left is even more insidious then the blatant effort of Trump and his right-wing cohort to do the same in the USA. The silent majority are continuously ignored and we are at fault - however until a viable political alternative is offered to the people we are screwed

For the sake of middle Ireland, we desperately need a Conservative ( even vaguely such) media outlet to emerge

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭HailSatan

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Travellers have an entirely different morality to the rest of us.

An ethical minority if you will

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Can anyone remember when she is due to recieve the large inheritance payment? The one her mother insured was a delayed payment so as not to impead Margaret from getting her forever home. If she's buying ponies now can you imagine what she will do with that money? Her facebook will be great entertainment.

Given what causes recessions (hint: not Margaret Cash), they tend to make people less economically conservative.

Being a welfare lifer doesn't make you a hero, people like Mrs cash are no better than the fingleton and fitzpatricks of this world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Hoppy Jack

Where is she keeping the horse?

Horse outside? Though with these kind you’d never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,414 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The logic there is risible. It's like saying that if everyone in Ireland gave me a euro, I'd be worth €4.8 million -- and who would really miss one euro? Therefore, I can become a multi-millionaire with no real harm to anyone.

It also ignores the effects across generations. Ms. Cash's seven children are statistically likely to become welfare dependents themselves, and their children in turn.

This is the big issue. It is the example it sets and the bar being set for others like her.

But to be fair, we have a history of setting poor example even at the highest levels of society. Bertie and some of his exploits left s lot to be desired for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Being a welfare lifer doesn't make you a hero, people like Mrs cash are no better than the fingleton and fitzpatricks of this world

She's far from a 'hero', but her crimes (both the literal and figurative ones) pale in comparison with those of the two men you mentioned. She - and people like her - seem to provoke a lot more ire from the perennially angry on here though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Again, not true.

It's not even 40% if you're earning 100k.

If you're earning 50k and have no children and no partner, it's only 22.5% tax between Income Tax and USC.

I honestly wonder sometimes whether people who believe they are paying 50% ever look at their payslips. You are not.

Maybe you can see why I am asking "is it really worth the anger", when the basis of your anger is obviously wrong from the outset?

There is a real misunderstanding out there about the marginal tax rate and how it operates.

Jesus it still a ****load more that most people earn.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭worded

Why are you all begrudging this woman her good fortune at your expense?

Shocking.

Thinly veiled reverse schadenfreude

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I think she is a great role model for her children. It’s amazing how much she has overcome to be the wonderful person she has become.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

poisonated wrote: »
    I think she is a great role model for her children. It’s amazing how much she has overcome to be the wonderful person she has become.

Has she patched things up with Mr. Cash yet? The world needs 7 more angles.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

I appreciate that - but I'm only responding to people who claim that they're paying for her, and I'm asking them "how much?" and "is it worth the stress you're getting yourself into?"

Whether or not MC is a chancer, I don't know; I am fully aware that there are other chancers out there, in all walks of life

They are in the minority. They don't have to feature so heavily in your life if you don't want them to. They're not costing you a lot of money, personally, not unless they're one of the domestic banks.

Honestly, there are lads here who clearly stalk the woman's facebook, long after she's stopped being in the news. It's just a bit sad.

I love how the apologists always bring Banks into the equation.

Never once stopping to think what life is like for those of us who have to live among people like Cash. 7 youngsters that will very likely go down the same road as their parents.

But ya. Something about the financial crisis in 2008 and vulture funds. That's the real enemy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

Never once stopping to think what life is like for those of us who have to live among people like Cash. 7 youngsters that will very likely go down the same road as their parents.

But ya. Something about the financial crisis in 2008 and vulture funds. That's the real enemy.

Da bankssssssssss

What's 7x e50000 ;) to be honest I don't think it right to set the poor kids future in stone lads. Might see they want better hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

What's 7x e50000 ;) to be honest I don't think it right to set the poor kids future in stone lads. Might see they want better hopefully.

Agree 100% I wish every one of them all the best with their futures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Hoppy Jack

poisonated wrote: »

Did she fart out any more children in the last year? At this stage she’d hardly notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,309 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

My plan in life is to gain walkingaroundmoneywise 100k before the social 6 months of statements and then retire from work and be a scrote for life.

My plan in life is to gain walkingaroundmoneywise 100k before the social 6 months of statements and then retire from work and be a scrote for life.

That's if welfare even exists at that stage. Ya might be hunting wild life or eating the neighbors dog at that stage to survive :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I look forward towards paying the taxes that are going to help her children enjoy the lifestyle she has made them accustomed too. I'm 47 now I only have to keep working till I'm 68 before the state thinks I'm worthy of help.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,499 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Crititicising policy is one thing - maybe you'd favour a benefits cap, such as exists in the UK, for example.

Claiming that this woman is a great drain on your household, or that you personally are paying for her, is quite another thing altogether. That's hyperbole in the extreme. I've just done some quick sums, and a person on 90k per year will pay 20 cent per year to a family of this size with roughly 50k income. That's 20c per year. 4 cent from your monthly pay packet.

This woman is not affecting your life, except by your choice. And even then, only if you're earning about 90k.

That does not make it right.

It is patently wrong that someone can get so much and contribute nothing to society or not work a single day.

I don't care how little it costs us personally.

It's not right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

That does not make it right.

It is patently wrong that someone can get so much and contribute nothing to society or not work a single day.

I don't care how little it costs us personally.

It's not right.

I never considered myself right wing but you are absolutely correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

They basically commit all the crime in my small Tipperary town, We also have a Limerick City Traveller family operating over here.

I don't have much empathy for them really, they've destroyed our town.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement