Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One year on from Ms Cash's impassioned speech

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Did you hear about the man who was hospitalized with six plastic horses inside him?

The doctor described his condition as stable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

T'is culture boss !

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I don't understand people like Cash. I'm working full time, studying too. I'm constantly tired but I see it as an investment in my future and my kids future. I want to contribute to society, I want to feel I'm doing something positive with my life and making my own way. I want my kids to see that as the norm and have the same work ethic and sense of self respect

How can she, and others like her, feel like they are good parents or good examples to their children when they behave this way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

eviltwin wrote: »
    I don't understand people like Cash. I'm working full time, studying too. I'm constantly tired but I see it as an investment in my future and my kids future. I want to contribute to society, I want to feel I'm doing something positive with my life and making my own way. I want my kids to see that as the norm and have the same work ethic and sense of self respect

How can she, and others like her, feel like they are good parents or good examples to their children when they behave this way?

Because she has a whole cohort of leftie politicians behind her who tells her she is not wrong and the gubberment are the evil ones.

It’s really that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I'll never forget the fawning media coverage, sold us a sob story without bothering to dig a little deeper into her background. As a consequence, my trust in RTÉ was eroded completely.

RTE - prime time had a special last October from a farm in North Dublin where a spate of robberies had occurred along with widespread intimidation

Not once was it mentioned that travellers were behind the whole thing

• Advertisement

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    RTE - prime time had a special last October from a farm in North Dublin where a spate of robberies had occurred along with widespread intimidation

Not once was it mentioned that travellers were behind the whole thing

Careful now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I think people are dead right to be annoyed with her.

Think of the return on investment for her. All these benefits without contributing anything positive to society. Not only that but given she is a convicted thief so she has contributed negatively to society, causing losses for businesses and costs for Gardai, court services and no doubt legal aid.

Anyone that doesn't see anything wrong with this is either naive, so wealthy they don't care or a person like Cash.

I think people are dead right to be annoyed with her.

Think of the return on investment for her. All these benefits without contributing anything positive to society. Not only that but given she is a convicted thief so she has contributed negatively to society, causing losses for businesses and costs for Gardai, court services and no doubt legal aid.

Anyone that doesn't see anything wrong with this is either naive, so wealthy they don't care or a person like Cash.

Probably about 3 million given to her over her lifetime not including a free house.

That’s bang for buck ay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

If you're around the median wage or average industrial wage, probably no more than 40 cent per year. Depending on your tax credits and age.

Is it really worth the anger?

All then old 40 cents add up don't they

lola85 wrote: »
    Probably about 3 million given to her over her lifetime not including a free house.

That’s bang for buck ay.
    How on earth did you get that figure? Just pluck it out of thin air?

That would be over €100k per annum for every year of her life since birth. Normally this stuff isn't worth reading and shouldn't be engaged with, but there are people here riling one another up about some long-forgotten speech by a homeless woman who is now just getting on with her life, and is having her Facebook page dissected by grown men.

Have a look at yourselves.

• Advertisement

All then old 40 cents add up don't they

Exactly to better facilities and services for my kids and not this leech.

How on earth did you get that figure? Just pluck it out of thin air?

That would be over €100k per annum for every year of her life since birth. Normally this stuff isn't worth reading and shouldn't be engaged with, but there are people here riling one another up about some long-forgotten speech by a homeless woman who is now just getting on with her life, and is having her Facebook page dissected by grown men.

Have a look at yourselves.

Do you know what you’re right sorry I was working out the sums if she actually had to work and pay taxes it would be 80k before tax.

So 50k x 40 years( she’s 25 years old now I think?)= 2 million.

That’s excluding her HAP at around €1000 a month but probably more.

40x12x1000= €480,000.

€2,480,000

Not to be sniffed at ay?

But yeah 40 cents and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭westcork67

She drives me nuts! However one of the posters above is correct - this is because our weak-willed politicians live in mortal fear of the media which in the main is controlled by a left-wing agenda. Our anger should be towards them and the media much more so than against the Cash's of this world - they see an opportunity to screw the taxpayer legally and they avail of it.

The surreptitious undermining of true democracy in this country by the left is even more insidious then the blatant effort of Trump and his right-wing cohort to do the same in the USA. The silent majority are continuously ignored and we are at fault - however until a viable political alternative is offered to the people we are screwed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I am. Someone complained about having to pay for her. I asked if they know how much she costs that person in tax.

Simple question.

The amount of fretting and hysteria is incredible. She hasn't even done anything this time, some grown man has just been creeping on her FB and saw one of those stupid 'This Time Last year' anniversaries.

All over what, costing you personally 10c? 40c per year?

Life's too short.

Yes but this very same pence or cents argument is used in Britain to defend the royal family. In a republic there should be no special class above work. We had hundreds of years of such abuse on our backs in ireland. To transfer money from workers to permanent non-workers is ethically reprehensible. The Irish welfare state has over-reached itself. ALL welfare monies should be time-limited for able bodied people under 67. I don't think we can wave it away by saying the effect is diluted per contributor nor does the brevity of anyone's life change the blatant immorality of it.

Do you know what you’re right sorry I was working out the sums if she actually had to work and pay taxes it would be 80k before tax.

So 50k x 40 years( she’s 25 years old now I think?)= 2 million.

That’s excluding her HAP at around €1000 a month but probably more.

40x12x1000= €480,000.

€2,480,000

Not to be sniffed at ay?

But yeah 40 cents and all.
    How does someone earn 50k per year on welfare -- for 40 years?

Your sums are all over the place.

topper75 wrote: »
    Yes but this very same pence or cents argument is used in Britain to defend the royal family. In a republic there should be no special class above work. We had hundreds of years of such abuse on our backs in ireland. To transfer money from workers to permanent non-workers is ethically reprehensible. The Irish welfare state has over-reached itself. ALL welfare monies should be time-limited for able bodied people under 67. I don't think we can wave it away by saying the effect is diluted per contributor nor does the brevity of anyone's life change the blatant immorality of it.
    Lookit, we shouldn't have a Revenue either. But the State has to spend upwards of 400 million euro per year in documenting and auditing taxes, because of a small amount of cheaters and people who don't seem to know any better.

Life isn't perfect. There will always be a few chancers, and maybe this Cash woman is one of them. I have no idea. What I do know is that people who are flying into a rage because of the money she's costing them, are getting upset over pennies.

Live your life. There's a lot to do in a small amount of time, without worrying about some randomer on Facebook whom you do not know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

westcork67 wrote: »
    ..this is because our weak-willed politicians live in mortal fear of the media which in the main is controlled by a left-wing agenda. Our anger should be towards them and the media ..

Absolutely; the Cash incident will be there forever as a stain on RTÉ's integrity. The basic principles of fact-checking and impartiality in journalism were thrown under the bus to push the emotionally-appealing disingenuous campaign on her behalf. A state broadcaster, which for decades had attempted to tell us what was going on in Ireland and the world, was now telling us what to think about a situation that wasn't even bona fide in the first place.

Public service broadcasting my arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

If you're around the median wage or average industrial wage, probably no more than 40 cent per year. Depending on your tax credits and age.

Is it really worth the anger?

Is that a serious post? I swear your posts really flirt with satire or at least are deliberately throwing out bait.

So 40% (to clarify.....not far short of half) of the aul hard-earned comes out of ones pocket before it even reaches it, much of it wasted on this sort of rubbish, contributed by many people who end up spending much of what's left to live somewhere they don't even have any personal stake in....and you're wondering if its "really worth the anger"? Who do you think you are with that rubbish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

It doesn't really matter what the total overall figure is, the annoying fact is that she's been riding the taxpayer bareback since the day that she dropped her first sprog at age 13 or whatever age she was.

Furthermore, it's extremely likely that by the time she draws down the old age pension, she'll never have done a single day of paid work in her life.

You may find that admirable, but the vast majority of wage earners find it slightly annoying.

ligerdub wrote: »
    So 40% (to clarify.....not far short of half) of the aul hard-earned comes out of ones pocket before it even reaches it
    Again, not true.

It's not even 40% if you're earning 100k.

If you're earning 50k and have no children and no partner, it's only 22.5% tax between Income Tax and USC.

I honestly wonder sometimes whether people who believe they are paying 50% ever look at their payslips. You are not.

Maybe you can see why I am asking "is it really worth the anger", when the basis of your anger is obviously wrong from the outset?

There is a real misunderstanding out there about the marginal tax rate and how it operates.

• Advertisement

Again, not true.

It was your number you troll.

It was your number you troll.
    I mentioned 40 cent... as a gross overestimate.

40 cent does not mean 40 %.

Maybe you should just read a post in full before coming in here on a Friday night and casting epithets at all & sundry.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,072 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Did she mention the angles?

To thine own self be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

If you're earning 50k and have no children and no partner, it's only 22.5% tax between Income Tax and USC.

I think you'll find that indirect taxation adds another healthy chunk to that. Income tax and USC are not the only taxes people pay.

I think you'll find that indirect taxation adds another healthy chunk to that. Income tax and USC are not the only taxes people pay.
    Of course, but if you want to go down that road, we have to analyse all household expenditure, including that spent by households in receipt of welfare transfers.

These people tend not to have savings, they tend to spend money in the local community. Even if you believe they spend all their money on booze, as some people believe, then most of the money will be going back to the state. With those nasty ciders you get in Londis and Mace, over 50% of the cost goes directly back to the Exchequer.

It's all much of a muchness. The reason why most ordinary human beings just get on with our lives is because this isn't a real issue. The money just gets churned around the economy and comes back -- often quite directly.

Of course, but if you want to go down that road, we have to analyse all household expenditure, including that spent by households in receipt of welfare transfers.

These people tend not to have savings, they tend to spend money in the local community. Even if you believe they spend all their money on booze, as some people believe, then most of the money will be going back to the state. With those nasty ciders you get in Londis and Mace, over 50% of the cost goes directly back to the Exchequer.

It's all much of a muchness. The reason why most ordinary human beings just get on with our lives is because this isn't a real issue. The money just gets churned around the economy and comes back -- often quite directly.

So TDs salaries are the same by that logic?

Yet most of the country gets their knickers in a twist about it.

What’s the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Where is she keeping the horse?

Outside?

So TDs salaries are the same by that logic?

Yet most of the country gets their knickers in a twist about it.

What’s the difference?
    Crititicising policy is one thing - maybe you'd favour a benefits cap, such as exists in the UK, for example.

Claiming that this woman is a great drain on your household, or that you personally are paying for her, is quite another thing altogether. That's hyperbole in the extreme. I've just done some quick sums, and a person on 90k per year will pay 20 cent per year to a family of this size with roughly 50k income. That's 20c per year. 4 cent from your monthly pay packet.

This woman is not affecting your life, except by your choice. And even then, only if you're earning about 90k.

Again, not true.

It's not even 40% if you're earning 100k.

I honestly wonder sometimes whether people who believe they are paying 50% ever look at their payslips. You are not.

Maybe you can see why I am asking "is it really worth the anger", when the basis of your anger is obviously wrong from the outset?

There is a real misunderstanding out there about the marginal tax rate and how it operates.

I'm sick of this crap posting from you, and I dare say I'm not the only one.

I never made the claim about the number, I was responding to your number and suggesting why perhaps being a bit miffed about the number YOU claimed might not go down so well with many people given this sort of situation arises.

Go ahead though, make your "ugghhh some people don't get how it works, how silly" comment if it makes you feel better. I've worked as a financial planner and designed structures for clients to optimise their incomes, I get how it works thanks.

Also, I don't look at my payslip as I don't have one. I'm self-employed, and for my good fortune I'm obliged to add VAT to my invoices, and given that I'm in a services operation with little to no purchases to offset this pretty much all of the VAT created by my services goes to the government and not me. About a third of my income goes out the arse if you must know, and that's not including the VAT contribution. This isn't about me though despite how you might want it to be. Even if it were only 20%, it's a fair chunk of change, and there are plenty of people out there sweating blood and guts and their disposable incomes are on the floor, and have great difficulties in getting setup with a place of their own.

Maybe you should just stop with this rubbish.

• Advertisement

I'm sick of this crap posting from you, and I dare say I'm not the only one.

I never made the claim about the number, I was responding to your number
    You have misread a post. The figure you're using was not used by me, nor anyone else.

I said 40 cent. You're mixing it up with 40%.

I'm not replying to these angry Friday night posts anymore. Will happily reply during the daytime perhaps.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement