Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ‘Win a Home In...’ scam

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Username you choose

Assuming this whole thing is a scam? Whole load of FB pages claiming to be repping GAA clubs and offering houses as prizes
    Edit: found this though
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/hundreds-buy-tickets-for-roscommon-gaa-s-dublin-house-raffle-1.3630684
    Must be real I guess?

Do they not announce the winner publicly? I would imagine they are obligated to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Assuming this whole thing is a scam? Whole load of FB pages claiming to be repping GAA clubs and offering houses as prizes
    Edit: found this though
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/hundreds-buy-tickets-for-roscommon-gaa-s-dublin-house-raffle-1.3630684
    Must be real I guess?

It's not a scam , I won that house you're talking about.
    I won a house the previous year too and expect to win again next year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Hill St Blue

Cavan GAA are running a 'win a home in D15' competition at the moment, that is most certainly not a scam. Money raised will go towards funding a centre of excellence.
    €100 a ticket, to be in with a chance of winning a house (or the cash equivalent presumably).

Afaik, Roscommon GAA ran a similar draw some time back. There may have been more that I'm not aware of. Like any draw/raffle, if it is legit, it will be transparent and easy to double check the source.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I had someone at the door selling tickets for a house for £100. He was to call back ' when the boss' was home but never did . Some are legit, some especially if you don't know the club are probably chancers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Cavan GAA are running a 'win a home in D15' competition at the moment, that is most certainly not a scam. Money raised will go towards funding a centre of excellence.
    €100 a ticket, to be in with a chance of winning a house (or the cash equivalent presumably).

Afaik, Roscommon GAA ran a similar draw some time back. There may have been more that I'm not aware of. Like any draw/raffle, if it is legit, it will be transparent and easy to double check the source.

Not a chance would you get the cash equivalent. Builder gets a great price for the house, club get the rest. It’s basically a load of people collectively overpaying for a house that one of them will live in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,774 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Do they not announce the winner publicly? I would imagine they are obligated to do so.

They do. The winner of that house was presented with the keys at half time during the Roscommon Dublin game in the Hyde last spring. If you've any proof however that it is a scam I'm all ears!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Username you choose

Fann Linn wrote: »
    They do. The winner of that house was presented with the keys at half time during the Roscommon Dublin game in the Hyde last spring. If you've any proof however that it is a scam I'm all ears!

I'm not the op, I never said it was a scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,774 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I'm not the op, I never said it was a scam.

Sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

If a recent case up in Co.Down can carry any influence or presedence in future for laws in Dublin, or elsewhere, then can't see this continuing for too long:
    "Pulled because the prizes exceeded the maximum level permitted under the Betting, Gaming, Lotteries and Amusements (NI) Order 1985"...

I.e. If a state thinks it will loose tax-take for what is gambling activity (not really charity), with very high-end value prizes, it would be unwise for them to ignore.
    Of course it could be run through a proper bookie, who would operate it under legislation and cough up (a little bit) of tax along the way, and be subject to audits and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,129 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I entered one of those last year for a local soccer club.

Winner was announced ok. Think it was a local business who owns a plant hire outfit. Supposedly very well off!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

There must be a veritable stampede of applicants hoping to become absent rack renter landlords in Blanchardtown.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭ROSSKI

The draw that Roscommon had last year was a massive success raising over a million euro in ticket sales, this year with the help of Sean Mulryan again they are raffling a house in London, completely legit and very clever way of raising serious money, for €100 I would take a punt and only applaud them for there innovative thinking. gowantherossies

• Registered Users Posts: 33,129 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

e100 is indeed tempting to win a house.

The one I entered was limited to 2500 tickets, plus there was about 8 or 10 decent other prizes too.

I fancied the odds.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Hill St Blue

Not a chance would you get the cash equivalent. Builder gets a great price for the house, club get the rest. It’s basically a load of people collectively overpaying for a house that one of them will live in.

The other way to look at that, is that a load of people, collectively have a gamble, that results in a life changing prize for one of them.
    Those who don't win, can still see a tangible result from their outlay. It's not often that you can say that when you have a flutter on the horses or whatever.

The profit raised from the venture, goes towards a defined project, which will benefit both current and future generations of GAA players from the region. It doesn't go into the coffers of one club, but towards building a sporting facility for the county.

It's true, only one person can win the prize, but at least the profit raised is going towards something meaningful and beneficial.
    For many people who buy tickets for this kind of thing, it's as much about supporting the project as the prize.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

The other way to look at that, is that a load of people, collectively have a gamble, that results in a life changing prize for one of them.
    Those who don't win, can still see a tangible result from their outlay. It's not often that you can say that when you have a flutter on the horses or whatever.

The profit raised from the venture, goes towards a defined project, which will benefit both current and future generations of GAA players from the region. It doesn't go into the coffers of one club, but towards building a sporting facility for the county.

It's true, only one person can win the prize, but at least the profit raised is going towards something meaningful and beneficial.
    For many people who buy tickets for this kind of thing, it's as much about supporting the project as the prize.

Yeah but I’m a cynical c*nt.

Some valid points, but there is also a loss of anon, and even some resentment? - For joe and jane getting a 'free house'.

Tickets could also be sold on a membership basis, not everyone wants to play golf, hence it's paid for by people who choose to play golf. People buying these tickets might just want a gamble, and not ever visit the new grounds.

The biggest factor would be validation of results. A big hat and big jim and dave's finger picking isn't full verification.

If a recent case up in Co.Down can carry any influence or presedence in future for laws in Dublin, or elsewhere, then can't see this continuing for too long:
    "Pulled because the prizes exceeded the maximum level permitted under the Betting, Gaming, Lotteries and Amusements (NI) Order 1985"...

I.e. If a state thinks it will loose tax-take for what is gambling activity (not really charity), with very high-end value prizes, it would be unwise for them to ignore.
    Of course it could be run through a proper bookie, who would operate it under legislation and cough up (a little bit) of tax along the way, and be subject to audits and so on.

I think sporting bodies have or can apply for a tax exemption once its promoting something of benefit to a community.

I doubt the GAA would be that careless to be non compliant with something so significant.

I think sporting bodies have or can apply for a tax exemption once its promoting something of benefit to a community.
    I doubt the GAA would be that careless to be non compliant with something so significant.
    Still it's a very high value item to be traded on an near industrial scale (like a bookie/state-lottery).

Also validation is very tricky. Even Lotteries Ireland can't get their bleeding scratchcards right (missing 180k), and they're audited and vetted.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/national-lottery-scratch-cards-were-missing-180-000-in-prizes-1.4112014

In the past the RCC used to open community centres, sports grounds and so on from their weekly community take. Perhaps they're stashing it all away for future expenses or wiring it over to the banks in Rome in preperation for the arrival of wormwood or something prophetic.

Some valid points, but there is also a loss of anon, and even some resentment? - For joe and jane getting a 'free house'.

Tickets could also be sold on a membership basis, not everyone wants to play golf, hence it's paid for by people who choose to play golf. People buying these tickets might just want a gamble, and not ever visit the new grounds.

The biggest factor would be validation of results. A big hat and big jim and dave's finger picking isn't full verification.

Have a read of the article about the house raffled in Ashtown.
    It actually names who independently overseen the raffle.

Still it's a very high value item to be traded on an near industrial scale (like a bookie/state-lottery).

Also validation is very tricky. Even Lotteries Ireland can't get their bleeding scratchcards right (missing 180k), and they're audited and vetted.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/national-lottery-scratch-cards-were-missing-180-000-in-prizes-1.4112014

In the past the RCC used to open community centres, sports grounds and so on from their weekly community take. Perhaps they're stashing it all away for future expenses or wiring it over to the banks in Rome in preperation for the arrival of wormwood or something prophetic.

RCC ?

• Advertisement

RCC ?
    The Roman Catholic Church, most take in a few grand per week in cash from pass the basket. Then there's events and ceremonies and so on.

Have a read of the article about the house raffled in Ashtown.
    It actually names who independently overseen the raffle.
    Slight of hand can occur anywhere even at the very highest levels, you can't ever be 100% sure everything is above board. The bigger the prize...

The Roman Catholic Church, most take in a few grand per week in cash from pass the basket. Then there's events and ceremonies and so on.

Your posts are like a mad man's ****e , all over the place.
    You've managed to crowbar the Catholic church into a thread about local GAA clubs raising funding for their individual clubs by what seems a really benevolent idea.
    The National Lottery issue was discovered by the " National Lottery " in a review by themselves and they've acknowledged their error indicating they will remedy it themselves .

You seem to be searching for a conspiracy.

Slight of hand can occur anywhere even at the very highest levels, you can't ever be 100% sure everything is above board. The bigger the prize...

You do know who PwC are ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The last raffle I was at was very interesting. Because the people who ran the raffle actually won it.

You do know who PwC are ?
    Do they oversee every single house raffle?

Even then, it only takes slight, or singular human error for something to go wrong, ask India (Satyam), view some missed targets:
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/pwc-kpmg-deloitte-and-ey-audit-quality-failure-frc-report-a8998321.html and occasional failures https://nypost.com/2018/07/02/pwc-must-pay-fdic-625m-for-failing-to-uncover-fraud-scheme/

Ticket picking from a container isn't really random, even a RNG script(); can have flaws. There would be so much vested interests with high value tickets, of low volume, for such a high singular localised community jackpot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

maybe the FAI could do something similiar. they seem broke.

You've managed to crowbar the Catholic church into a thread about local GAA clubs raising funding for their individual clubs by what seems a really benevolent idea.
    The (wealthy) RCC traditionally funded and opened community/sports grounds. Now it's seems to be privatised by high-rolling gamblers looking for somewhere to live.
    The National Lottery issue was discovered by the " National Lottery " in a review by themselves and they've acknowledged their error indicating they will remedy it themselves .
    Eh? It was discovered after most tickets were sold, even then, it ran on for another 6wks before any annoucement. Not sure how easy it is to run out and capture all shelf stock, customers not refunded. It's not 'resolved'.

Even the lottery regulators didn't notice it, and were unable to discover it, just lucky they came forward themselves in the cases where it occured.

maybe the FAI could do something similiar. they seem broke.

They're just short a couple of quid , probably find it down the back of couch any day soon.

• Advertisement

The (wealthy) RCC traditionally funded and opened community/sports grounds. Now it's seems to be privatised by high-rolling gamblers looking for somewhere to live.

Eh? It was discovered after most tickets were sold, even then, it ran on for another 6wks before any annoucement. Not sure how easy it is to run out and capture all shelf stock, customers not refunded. It's not 'resolved'.

Even the lottery regulators didn't notice it, and were unable to discover it, just lucky they came forward themselves in the cases where it occured.

What high rolling gamblers?

Advertisement