Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,086 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Nuances like what? How many jobs are there out there that are easier than minding kids.

Minding kids is easier than virtually any other job. This nonsense about how difficult it is to have kids is just rubbish. I loved being at home minding the kids eight months they basically slept the whole time.

Toddlers don’t sleep the whole time and if you want to stimulate them and not plonk them in front of a screen they are hard work .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

Minding kids is easier than virtually any other job. This nonsense about how difficult it is to have kids is just rubbish. I loved being at home minding the kids eight months they basically slept the whole time.

ever see bill burr ripping the piss out of opera when she said a woman had the "hardest job in the world"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Xp4z5qlyqs

I think the daily routine of being a stay-at-home mother is pretty easy, if you take a single day in isolation and compare it to a commute and the mundane, stressful, or physical alternatives. But I think it would be extremely difficult over a long period of time because it seems really annoying and lonely, and you can't fully relax. I'd rather work.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,113 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Lack of interaction with other adults is a big factor too.

A lot of stay-at-home parents see their kids and their partners, some family members and thats it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Nuances like what?
    The ones I listed. I don't think your opinion is unpopular btw.

Obviously a mundane office job 9 to 5.30 is easier than minding three children under the age of five from 7am until 6pm... but you know that.

And being out repairing power lines is harder than minding one child.

As I said, nuance. It varies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

saabsaab wrote: »
    Cork is the real Irish capital.

Maybe not that unpopular outside Cork?

That's not an opinion though, that's just false.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    That's not an opinion though, that's just false.

Might be popular too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Hong kongers need to pipe down or ship out.
    Thats beijings land whether china is evil or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Raconteuse wrote: »
    The ones I listed. I don't think your opinion is unpopular btw.

Obviously a mundane office job 9 to 5.30 is easier than minding three children under the age of five from 7am until 6pm... but you know that.

And being out repairing power lines is harder than minding one child.

As I said, nuance. It varies.

If you listened to popular opinion you would be led to believe that minding kids is the "hardest job in Ireland" and then you go around to their houses and they're in a complete mess. Makes you wonder what these people are doing at home all day? What do you actually do?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭various artistes

Buying stuff online and having it delivered is far more stressful and usually more expensive than buying it in the shops.

Boojum is ****e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

Buying stuff online and having it delivered is far more stressful and usually more expensive than buying it in the shops.

Boojum is ****e.

Bull****, you're obviously buying from the wrong websites. I've done all of my shopping this year on line due to a fractured shoulder and it's been heaven, all arrive on my doorstep, no stress and in boxes ready to be wrapped an everything, happy days. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭various artistes

pinkyeye wrote: »
    Bull****, you're obviously buying from the wrong websites. I've done all of my shopping this year on line due to a fractured shoulder and it's been heaven, all arrive on my doorstep, no stress and in boxes ready to be wrapped an everything, happy days. :D

I literally can't think of anything I would need to buy apart from clothes. Electronics, I want to buy them off somewhere I can walk back into with it if it is faulty. Not posting to a return address.

Having worked for a time in an online monitoring capacity I can say hand on heart that most gear people buy online can be bought for cheaper in the real world, without the uncertainty about what happens if you miss a delivery.

A few weeks ago I reluctantly bought a jacket I really fancied because the upstairs in Sports Direct on King St was out of medium size.

It cost three quid less and was ****ed over the garden side gate.

So where do I stand if someone had climbed in and robbed it?

The uncertainty wouldn't be worth it if it was 20 quid cheaper.

Online shopping in Vietnam is class. It's cash-on-delivery and you get the call asking if you want it that day. You don't even need to enter a credit card but you can use one instead of cash if you want. Lad on a scooter will drop it off at work or you can leave money with the security guard if you're in an apartment block. No throwing boxes or leaving them lying around outside since he needs to hand it to someone to get the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,819 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

"Victim blaming" is a neat way of shutting down any discussion of personal responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Having worked for a time in an online monitoring capacity I can say hand on heart that most gear people buy online can be bought for cheaper in the real world, without the uncertainty about what happens if you miss a delivery.

I find it very hard to believe that. I check anything i'm going to buy in a shop on price spy, i don't remember too many occasions (if any infact) of the shopping being the cheapest option.

It may well be available for cheaper in a shop somewhere, but you may have to drive for hours to get it there with all the hassle and cost that involves.

I only really buy stuff i want right now this minute in shops, well that and clothes - online clothes shopping is a gamble, you need to see things in the flesh sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭smilerf

Enda Kenny was a great taos each.
    Got us out of the whole that bertie left us in..
    And it was bertie. He saw it coming so left

"Eaten Bread's forgotten the moment it's swallowed."

has long replaced

"Eaten bread is soon forgotten" for many Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

smilerf wrote: »
    Enda Kenny was a great taos each.
    Got us out of the whole that bertie left us in..
    And it was bertie. He saw it coming so left

Enda wasnt a great taoiseach but he was in the top half of leaders we have had , he was a hundred times better than the current robot who,s in the job who himself is a hundred times better than that empty suit michael martin

Nurses don't actually do that much!

They work long hours but nurses just go around dispensing medication and talking to the families. Carers are actually the new nurses and nurses want to be doctors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I'm not a supporter of Brexit etc; but I just don't trust the EU.

• Advertisement

Nurses don't actually do that much!

They work long hours but nurses just go around dispensing medication and talking to the families. Carers are actually the new nurses and nurses want to be doctors.
    You are wrong actually .
    I ran up and down the ward for 12 hours at night, sometimes nothing to eat or drink unless I grabbed it between the mad chaos .I worked damn hard all my working life .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    You are wrong actually .
    I ran up and down the ward for 12 hours at night, sometimes nothing to eat or drink unless I grabbed it between the mad chaos .Hanging IV fluids , hanging blood, emptying catheters and titrating the fluids accordingly, doing burns dressings, wound dressings, neurological observations, giving oxygen , et etc etc etc .And I wont even start on the workload of and ICU or A and E nurse
    I worked damn hard all my working life .
    He doesn't care. All he cares about is looking edgy.

You are wrong actually .
    I ran up and down the ward for 12 hours at night, sometimes nothing to eat or drink unless I grabbed it between the mad chaos .Hanging IV fluids , hanging blood, emptying catheters and titrating the fluids accordingly, doing burns dressings, wound dressings, neurological observations, giving oxygen , et etc etc etc .And I wont even start on the workload of and ICU or A and E nurse

Maybe there was a time at one stage where nurses actually did those things but these days nurses go around dispensing medication and talking to the families.
    We have several clients who are doctors that work in general hospitals, most of them from outside of Ireland and they regularly comment on how little nurses in Ireland do compared to other European countries. A niece who is working as a nurse in Scotland also comments on how much more they're expected to do in the UK compared to what they do in Ireland. Next time you go to a hospital ward just watch and observe them, spend their time filling in charts, giving out medication and sitting at a desk.

Like I said, carers are the new nurses, nurses want to be doctors and all the doctors want to be consultants with a private practice located inside a public hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Maybe there was a time at one stage where nurses actually did those things but these days nurses go around dispensing medication and talking to the families.
    We have several clients who are doctors that work in general hospitals, most of them from outside of Ireland and they regularly comment on how little nurses in Ireland do compared to other European countries. A niece who is working as a nurse in Scotland also comments on how much more they're expected to do in the UK compared to what they do in Ireland. Next time you go to a hospital ward just watch and observe them, spend their time filling in charts, giving out medication and sitting at a desk.

Like I said, carers are the new nurses, nurses want to be doctors and all the doctors want to be consultants with a private practice located inside a public hospital.

Well.... I mean.... you definitely came to the right thread :D

And like I said , you are so wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

You are wrong actually .

Don't work in the medical field but work brings me into hospitals several days a week so regularly see the amount of work nurses do in wards. I know I couldn't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

alcohol should be banned. just cause they couldnt enforce it in the USA in the early 20th century doesnt mean we shouldnt try

Communism should be reintrodcued. Right wing stakeholders will be quick to mention Russian Gulags and North Korea. Communism is neither of these. Communism is about sharing.

On a lighter note, John Delaney should be reinstated in the FAI. Great character and has built up relationships with FIFA,UEFA and other national football federations.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭saabsaab

alcohol should be banned. just cause they couldnt enforce it in the USA in the early 20th century doesnt mean we shouldnt try

Communism should be reintrodcued. Right wing stakeholders will be quick to mention Russian Gulags and North Korea. Communism is neither of these. Communism is about sharing.

On a lighter note, John Delaney should be reinstated in the FAI. Great character and has built up relationships with FIFA,UEFA and other national football federations.

Wow, hard to beat this one.
    Would prohibition work better here? Look at the drug situation and that's illegal now.

Communism reintroduced? How can you when it was never implemented by your standard. Anyway what did you call what the Russians call it anyway?

Maybe John Delaney can come back to sort out the FAI mess?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭smilerf

I'm disabled and have stage 4 kidney disease so I'm in hospital quite a bit
    It depends on the nurse.
    I agree some will do as you have said whereas others will have no problem changing me if I have an accident etc.
    You can't paint them all with the same brush

• Advertisement

smilerf wrote: »
    I'm disabled and have stage 4 kidney disease so I'm in hospital quite a bit
    It depends on the nurse.
    I agree some will do as you have said whereas others will have no problem changing me if I have an accident etc.
    You can't paint them all with the same brush

That's my point. There was a time where this shouldn't have been a question but now they all seem to want to be doctors or managers, and why is it that anytime we try and have a discussion about health service in this country all it takes is someone to say "but the doctors and nurses are working very hard and doing a great job" and it's end of conversation. We cannot be so naive to think that the health service is so bad because of "bad management" without accepting that front line workers also have to take some of the responsibility.

Advertisement