Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 dubzjay

The Irish language could cease to exist in the morning and it would make zero difference.

It is defunct. A utter was of time and money.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,823 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

saabsaab wrote: »
    The Irish language has been around far longer that english only a philistine would like to see it die.

The philistines are gone and dead too.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

dubzjay wrote: »
    The Irish language could cease to exist in the morning and it would make zero difference.

It is defunct. A utter was of time and money.

It appears the English language is also being strangled to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

One man's waste of time & money is another man's beautiful piece of identity & heritage. Language is more than just a translation of words, it's a shame people can't see past that.

Unpopular opinion - It's possible to be Irish, and not hate oneself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Languages come and go. No one gets killed in the process. Irish has ceased to be a working language by and large, it's been preserved in aspic to please lobby groups.

The majority of Irish people may like Irish to survive, but hypocritically "someone else" must do that for them, the govt or schoolchildren. Someone living in the arse end of a Gaeltacht.
    Whoever. Doesn't matter.
    They're not going to break a sweat learning or relearning it for themselves.
    Ní dóigh liom go dtuigeann tú mé, i ndáiríre,

• Advertisement

The philistines are gone and dead too.

Not at all judging by this thread!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,934 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I repeat the Irish language has been around far longer that english only a philistine would like to see it die, I'd say most Irish people would agree.

This is a silly strawman. Nobody wants to see it die just as nobody wants to challenge the current establishment that have been bleeding it like ravenous leeches for generations nor does anyone want to actually learn it themselves once they're adults. Everyone just expects someone else to do it. It's pathetic.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

This is a silly strawman. Nobody wants to see it die just as nobody wants to challenge the current establishment that have been bleeding it like ravenous leeches for generations nor does anyone want to actually learn it themselves once they're adults. Everyone just expects someone else to do it. It's pathetic.

Sadly you are wrong there are quite a few who want it to die and be rid, probably some on this thread. There is considerable anti-Irisah feeling out there. Thankfully some adults want to learn or re-learn the language and have doen so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Some absolutely do want it to die. Remember a poster who was frozen? :)

Cannot abide the elitist gaelgoir types either btw and I do think it should just be an optional subject at school, but I would hate it to die out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,934 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Sadly you are wrong there are quite a few who want it to die and be rid, probably some on this thread. There is considerable anti-Irisah feeling out there. Thankfully some adults want to learn or re-learn the language and have doen so.

Tiny minorities in both cases compared to the scale of the problem.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,949 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Ní dóigh liom go dtuigeann tú mé, i ndáiríre,

Whatever you think yourself.

You want to learn it, knock yourself out. Don't cod yourself thinking that you'll have a full conversation outside of a school or hobby language enthusiast setting.

You want to learn it, knock yourself out. Don't cod yourself thinking that you'll have a full conversation outside of a school or hobby language enthusiast setting.

Na Gaeltachtaí?, tá siad fós beo.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,949 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Na Gaeltachtaí?, tá siad fós beo.

Figures indicate that they are continually shrinking in speaker numbers.
    You going to drive to one every time you want a chat?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,078 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

More than likely you'd be hard pressed to have a "full" conversation in those institutions too.

The vast majority of Irish speakers have, basically, pigeon Irish. Whereby conversations on a fairly low level can be had. But anything requiring elaboration is usually absent.

It's rare that you get to hear people conversing on an adult level in Irish.

Tá áiteanna gar le gach duine inar féidir le duine i a labhairt, mas mian leo.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Tá áiteanna gar le gach duine inar féidir le duine i a labhairt, mas mian leo.

Please use this forum for Irish posting.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=904

The main language of AH is English.

I wondered when something od this nature would come up. You say 'main' language what is the other?

I wondered when something od this nature would come up. You say 'main' language what is the other?

Please refer to the FAQs

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/faq.php?faq=bie_faq_guidelines#faq_bie_faq_guidelines_english

The "WOKE" principal will feature in at least two projects in the "Young Scientists" exhibition held in January.

Read that. I can provide translation in future.Tá sé sin léite agam, cuirfidh mé aistriúchán ar fáil amach anseo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Staying at home and minding the kids is easier than working a full time job.

Read that. I can provide translation in future.Tá sé sin léite agam, cuirfidh mé aistriúchán ar fáil amach anseo.

Go away.

'Go away'? This started as a discussion of Irish culture and whether is should die. I believe in all aspects it shouldn't die and be replaced by an Anglo/American materialist mentality, I am not alone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

'Go away'? This started as a discussion of Irish culture and whether is should die. I believe in all aspects it shouldn't die and be replaced by an Anglo/American materialist mentality, I am not alone.

course you are not alone, its people like me who want it to die out are in the minority sadly, hence why its in the ...wait for it...unpopular opinions thread.

or have you not grasped that yet

A rightly unpopular opinion and one that needed an answer. Thank God you're in the minority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Please use this forum for Irish posting.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=904

The main language of AH is English.

michael-collins-rea-screenshot1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Staying at home and minding the kids is easier than working a full time job.
    Depends on the job, the ages of the children, how many children - nuances like that.

michael-collins-rea-screenshot1.jpg

The pen is not mightier than the hammer.

lxZSxRYanjxWdtJ-800x450-noPad.jpg?1525309304

Cork is the real Irish capital.

Maybe not that unpopular outside Cork?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Depends on the job, the ages of the children, how many children - nuances like that.

Nuances like what? How many jobs are there out there that are easier than minding kids.

Minding kids is easier than virtually any other job. This nonsense about how difficult it is to have kids is just rubbish. I loved being at home minding the kids eight months they basically slept the whole time.

Advertisement