Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's the definition of Irish begrudgery

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,016 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

At a broader level, while begrudgery isn't just an Irish thing (and it bugs me when people say it is) I think there's more than a grain of truth in the assertion that Irish people can be particularly bad for it.

Are the American’s not “famed” for seeing the successful person, in the big house with the nice car, and thinking ‘if I work hard that could be me’ whereas we, Irish, are known for begrudging their success either by belittling how they’ve “attained” it or by personally attacking them.

It’s not an attractive “trait” but one we can overcome once we accept we engage in it. The inability to take criticism would be another, ugly, trait of ours.

Hopefully, in the future, these will fall by the “wayside”. With higher levels of immigration that may not be too far away.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭pgj2015

It's defined as:

Irish people hating to see anyone (especially in their local community) rise above their current status or paygrade and becoming 'self-made' or successful.

I dont think that is true, it might be true if the person acts like a big shot, blowing about how great they are or the worst ones are the ones who leave Ireland and move to the UK/America, then run down the Country that raised them and try to become British/american.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭SlowMotion321

I have never understood the borderline hatred for Bono from some people.

'prick', 'a- hole' etc etc without any obvious reason that I can see.

It would be fine if was being criticised for something but no- just moronic insults.

Because he is a sanctimonious, pontificating tax dodger?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Hugh Leonards begrudgery story.
    Dalkey local. "Hello Hugh, Well done. I see the film of your book is on in the Savoy cinema"

Hugh " Indeed thats right"

Dalkey Local " Is is Savoy 4 its on in"

Hugh. " Thats correct"

Dalkey Local " Isn't Savoy 4 the small cinema. They mustnt be expecting too many to go to it."

Advertisement