Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclists, insurance and road tax

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Sure even asking them to wear helmets is met with scorn, they want it every way
    A plastic hat which is not designed to protect the wearer if they're hit by a car?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Or maybe, if motorists drove with care it wouldn't be needed.

No I don't think so. Accidents will always happen regardless.

Maybe a cushioning system around bicycles then? To protect the pedestrians

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It's called the bike to work scheme. There's no requirement to actually use the bike to cycle to work, so it's basically the taxpayer subsidising the purchase of new bikes.

That also is incorrect

'Qualifying journeys
    You must mainly use the bicycle and safety equipment for qualifying journeys. This means the whole or part of a journey between your home and your normal place of work.'

A bit of reading on these things is always a good idea before making statements.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/jobs-and-pensions/taxation-of-employer-benefits/cycle-to-work-scheme.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 6,500 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Most club cyclists would be covered under their Cycling Ireland policy. I'm covered when I'm out training/exercising. The claim that cyclists aren't insured is one purely based on ignorance.
    It is possoible to get bikes insured against damage and theft. Not sure about Third Party cover but is really isn't a line of business many insurance companies would want (evidently) as there wouldn't be much business for them.

Thats a good point - nonetheless, the point stands for individual cyclists.

There are cycle insurance providers - but they are very much niche players, and its very expensive.

For example - I've queried a few times at AXA why it is that they use cyclists in so many of their ads, and yet they dont offer insurance to cyclists.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭Joe4321

@Set, you say most clubs are covered and you are covered when out, so you do agree with insurance,???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Joe4321 wrote: »
    There is also research into cyclists that were wearing a helmet that it saved their life, Google that..

There are also reports of soldiers being saved from bullets by bibles.

There is also research into cyclists that were wearing a helmet that it saved their life, Google that..

When they tripped over walking to their bike, or when a 1 tonne plus vehicle was driven through them?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

This thread will entertain 'cyclists should pay taxes' crowd and 'cars are killing people' crowd for months.

It's completely nonsense suggestion but the usual testosterone fuelled arguments will go on and on and on. I predict some pictures of cyclists going trough red lights and vans parked on sidewalks will be posted. Then usual suspects will start posting you tube videos and so on...

That's all there is to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Also research indicating how helmets can save car occupants as well. why no call for helmets in cars?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭TheQ_Man

There is no such thing as ‘Road’ tax, it’s motor tax

No I don't think so. Accidents will always happen regardless.

Maybe a cushioning system around bicycles then? To protect the pedestrians

It is rare that an accident happens in a car, unless it is a child wetting themselves in the back seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,885 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Well you just want people to have to wear helmets because you want cycling to be more inconvenient for people, that's why I'd meet it with scorn coming from someone like you. As if you give a flying f*ck about the safety of cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Paddigol

I'm still shaking my head at the login in the OP, particularly in the context of some of the replies in this one... https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058178678

But yeah, tax the cyclists and get them off our roads, those dangerous hooligans!

Here's an idea - learn to drive before deciding that it's everyone else who makes the roads a dangerous place.

meeeeh wrote: »
    This thread will entertain 'cyclists should pay taxes' crowd and 'cars are killing people' crowd for months.

It's completely nonsense suggestion but the usual testosterone fuelled arguments will go on and on and on. I predict some pictures of cyclists going trough red lights and vans parked on sidewalks will be posted. Then usual suspects will start posting you tube videos and so on...

That's all there is to it.

It's hard not to engage with these threads, people hate you because you use a bike to get to work or go to the shops, I'll never understand it.

So the people that you look up to in the tour de France are been inconvenienced by weeing helmets, wowwww

It's hard not to engage with these threads, people hate you because you use a bike to get to work or go to the shops, I'll never understand it.

They hate me even though I drive more than I cycle. :(

So the people that you look up to in the tour de France are been inconvenienced by weeing helmets, wowwww

Is your life so shallow that you think everyone looks up to 'celebrities' or 'sportspeople' like you do?

@Set, you say most clubs are covered and you are covered when out, so you do agree with insurance,???
    Do I agree with insurance? It's not really necessary but as with all insurance, it covers a risk. What is important to define is the likleihood of that risk. In my view, it is not likely. In the several thousand kms I cover, I know that I won't cause damage that would warrant a policy.
    For what reason do you think it is necessary and have you the required statistics to back up your belief that there is a need for insurance cover?
    Would all cyclists require cover, including school children?
    If parents were forced to insure their kids who wished to cycle to school, what do you think would happen?

@fighting, you loose your argument when you get personal, don't be so childish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

A question for all the cyclist here, would you be in favour for a registration for your bike so you could be identified just like car owners can be from there Reg plates, if yes, why and also if no, why??

It would be useless.
    What crime could a cyclist commit that would require all cyclists to get number plates?

Besides, it's too easy to steal and destroy bikes.
    Even motorcyclists think it's a pain since their reg is tied to the frame, which might get swapped out when damaged.

@fighting, you loose your argument when you get personal, don't be so childish.

Jaysus. Read your own post that I replied to. You used 'you' before I did. You made it personal :rolleyes:

If parents were forced to insure their kids who wished to cycle to school, what do you think would happen?

In fairness I don't think these people think anyone should be cycling on the roads, so a reduction of kids or any people on bikes would be welcomed by the haters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Do you look up to Lewis Hamilton, and why don't you wear a helmet driving?

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    It would be useless.
    What crime could a cyclist commit that would require all cyclists to get number plates?

Bank robbery. Bikes are excellent for getaways in towns and cities chockablock with motor traffic. They can zig zag between all the stationary cars.

The riders in the TdF travel up to 100km/h. They are in compact groups which increases the likleihood of a fall and for this reason, it is mandatory to wear a plastic hat.
    Does someone casually riding to the shops or school need one? Why would they? Are they likely to fall at speed?
    Why do the Dutch generally not have a need to wear them?
    Anyhow, this thread is getting even more stupid now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    It would be useless.

Besides, it's too easy to steal and destroy bikes.
    Even motorcyclists think it's a pain since their reg is tied to the frame, which might get swapped out when damaged.

They could be dealing drugs. Nipping around cities delivering class A product.
    Theres one example

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

And it will keep you busy for a few days... It's the same nonsense that will not change any opinions but a few people will be able to vent.

In fairness I don't think these people think anyone should be cycling on the roads, so a reduction of kids or any people on bikes would be welcomed by the haters.
    I've yet to cycle on a road that was dangerous!
    I tend to find it's the road users I've to be wary of.

• Advertisement

@Seth, I do agree with having insurance, and yes if a kid is out on a public road it would be required also, the registration is also a big thing for identification, the guards could also use this for issueing fines, but I sure I will be told that cyclists don't break any traffic rules, why would you be against registering your bycicle?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement