Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclists, insurance and road tax

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Insurance requirements will mean better behaviour - i.e. no helmets/lights/high vis will invalidate policies. As will not using a cycle lane where one is available, and engaging in dangerous practices like zig-zagging through traffic.

This is precisely why cyclists don't want mandatory insurance.

That has worked well with motorists, hasn't it?

Their behaviour is just impeccable, they never drive dangerously, they always use the motorway because it is the only road solely dedicated to them. Engage your brain please!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Fully agree that cyclists should have insurance and pay road tax. I’d go a step further and have them sit a test and undergo NCTs for their bikes too. The vast majority of them display either pure ignorance or total disregard for the rules of the road, putting themselves, pedestrians and drivers at risk. If the same rules applied to them as say motor cyclists it might sharpen their behavior.

What could go so wrong on a bike that it needs an NCT?

Should bicycle tests be required as soon as you take off the training wheels?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Hoboo wrote: »
    If they go through someone's windscreen? Yep.

How much is a windscreen? €200? I'll self insure for that one, thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭Joe4321

A question for all the cyclist here, would you be in favour for a registration for your bike so you could be identified just like car owners can be from there Reg plates, if yes, why and also if no, why??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Insurance requirements will mean better behaviour - i.e. no helmets/lights/high vis will invalidate policies. As will not using a cycle lane where one is available, and engaging in dangerous practices like zig-zagging through traffic.

You know the presence of helmets has been shown to make cycling I urban settings.more unsafe as drivers pass closer. No helmet, and drivers give more space.

Zig zagging through traffic? Does that happened. Filtering through stopped traffic happensz zig zagging is a myth made up in the head of people who can't do anything other han point to an anecdote they have

Cycle lanes are not required to be used, and generally not for for purpose. Slowly getting better.

High Viz? Only if we but massive reflective strips on all cars too.

Lights, I'll give you that. But also should immediately penalise any driver who runs DRLs at night or refuses to get their broken lights changed

• Advertisement

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    What could go so wrong on a bike that it needs an NCT?

Should bicycle tests be required as soon as you take off the training wheels?

Would my child who was 1 when first on a balance bike need a test?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Joe4321 wrote: »
    Agree cyclist are not likely to kill but are very likely to injure people and cause danage while zig zagging through traffic

How does this one work? People are very rarely harmed by bikes if the news is anything to go by. The reason people use bikes is because you can do things like zig zag through traffic, instead of sitting there like a chump. You should try it.

I love these fantasist threads by people who hate people who use bikes. If anything, the Gov are doing more and more to get people on bikes, and putting in more infrastructure and spending more money on bike lanes etc. The exact opposite of what people like the OP want.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

And as someone else has said, all these requirements work great for motorists right?

Yet over 10% of motorists have active penalty points and a large number of them for more than 1 offence.

It should be. Not wearing a helmet should invalidate your policy in the event of an accident too.

Eventually it will happen.

There's be uproar if the insurance companies insisted on drivers and their passengers wearing helmets.

The Irish people are subsidising people owning bikes

you must really hate me then.

I'm not Irish and I own a bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Agree cyclist are not likely to kill but are very likely to injure people and cause danage while zig zagging through traffic

The principal evidence for this being what nearly happened to your auntie that one time.......

But if we put hivis on cars, how will we be able to spot Garda cars?

@ weepsie, are you for real, read back on you post and you will see how crazy it sounds, people are safer without helmets, put a reflective stripe on cars, really.....

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

A question for all the cyclist here, would you be in favour for a registration for your bike so you could be identified just like car owners can be from there Reg plates, if yes, why and also if no, why??
    For what reason?
    Not one country around the world has thought this is a good idea. So lets hear why you think it is a runner. While you're at it, how much will it cost to administer and enforce?

The funny thing is - cyclists cant get insurance even if they want to.

Insurance companies dont offer it/ wont offer it.

The reason is that the risk of bike theft in Ireland is so high.

And yet here we have a punter beating us with his big online stick because 'cyclists dont even have insurance'.

Needless to say, OP didnt check any of this before the offical launch of the rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭statto25

doughef wrote: »
    Won’t be long !

N6ClZ4.gif

@ weepsie, are you for real, read back on you post and you will see how crazy it sounds, people are safer without helmets, put a reflective stripe on cars, really.....

There is research to show that not wearing a helmet reduces close passes. Have a google.

People in cars crash into other cars all the time, therefore it would make sense if the other cars were hi-vis. They would be seen.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,945 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Fully agree that cyclists should have insurance and pay road tax. I’d go a step further and have them sit a test and undergo NCTs for their bikes too. The vast majority of them display either pure ignorance or total disregard for the rules of the road, putting themselves, pedestrians and drivers at risk. If the same rules applied to them as say motor cyclists it might sharpen their behavior.

100% agree. Plus bikes should have mandatory seatbelts and airbags. And a roof and doors, plus impact protection and crumple zones. And an engine or motor. And proper seats, both for the driver and passengers.

Pedestrians should also have insurance and pay a tax if they want to walk on public pavements or roads. And their shoes should undergo a yearly safety inspection. Plus they should have airbags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

McGaggs wrote: »
    But if we put vivis on cars, how will we be able to spot Garda cars?

How about some kind of cushioning system around the outside of cars incase of an impact with a cyclist or pedestrian?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Fully agree that cyclists should have insurance and pay road tax. I’d go a step further and have them sit a test and undergo NCTs for their bikes too.

What format will this test take for my 4 year old? She can't read yet but she isn't bad at colouring.

What is the reason for the NCTs? Is it due to the massive death toll caused by insufficiently maintained bikes?

• Advertisement

How about some kind of cushioning system around the outside of cars incase of an impact with a cyclist or pedestrian?

Or maybe, if motorists drove with care it wouldn't be needed.

What I'd like to know is - why is that people who have only just joined boards, with less than 300 posts between them, feel so comfortable and at home in starting arguments and making factually incorrect statements.

@set, you seem to be pre occupied with price, how much did you pay for your bicycle and lycra?? Registration would be there for identification purposes,

km991148 wrote: »
    Apparently there is a subsidised 50pc off new bikes as well!

And here I am paying full price for mine :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Always find it amusing how people have not idea how public utilities like roads are funded. Some seem to think they're a private club funded by this mysterious "road tax".

Also how happy the same people are to pay a few percent on their already extortionate motor insurance policy to fund the 150,000 fellow motorists who couldn't be arsed insuring their vehicle. Some cause €60m in accident damage annually which has to come from this fund,.

And if we're going to come up with some form of "road tax" model for cyclists , surely it makes sense to offer rebates for those who leave their cars at home and contribute zero to pollution and congestion and also benefit from the exercise that a sedentary life style encouraged by a car will never bring?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    The funny thing is - cyclists cant get insurance even if they want to.

Insurance companies dont offer it/ wont offer it.

The reason is that the risk of bike theft in Ireland is so high.

And yet here we have a punter beating us with his big online stick because 'cyclists dont even have insurance'.

Needless to say, OP didnt check any of this before the offical launch of the 'rant'.
    Most club cyclists would be covered under their Cycling Ireland policy. I'm covered when I'm out training/exercising. The claim that cyclists aren't insured is one purely based on ignorance.
    It is possoible to get bikes insured against damage and theft. Not sure about Third Party cover but is really isn't a line of business many insurance companies would want (evidently) as there wouldn't be much business for them.

For what reason?
    Not one country around the world has thought this is a good idea. So lets hear why you think it is a runner. While you're at it, how much will it cost to administer and enforce?

Would we need number-plates and furthermore, would they be aero?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Sure even asking them to wear helmets is met with scorn, they want it every way

There is also research into cyclists that were wearing a helmet that it saved their life, Google that..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,945 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

We should not rest until Mr. Soft's vision is complete, but also with more taxes and business for the poor insurance industry.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement