Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Blatant Cheating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭pakman

gman127 wrote: »
    Yep :o

Ok now I'm interested. I played with the brother of the lad who is our 62 point leader, in last years final group. Dad out caddying for him on the back nine which got my nose right out of joint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

This sounds really sad. I would be letting him know I think he is a cheat

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I agree with blue note.
    Handicap makes golf great that you can compete against everybody.
    A high handicapper with ability will always have the chance to shoot a great score but when they do, they get cut. If they keep playing and shooting good scores then they will keep getting cut.
    If theY mind their handicap like mentioned above, I’m not sure there is a lot you can do about it except report them to handicap sec for a cut on observation.

There is one thing about minding their handicap , but thE post above about reporting wrong scores is most definitely cheating.

The thing about it is I have often been called a bandit, a term I think can be abused, sure I may have the ability to shoot good shots and scores, but if I really was a bandit, I’d have a few captains prizes and other majors in the bag by now.

I remember when I was A kid and a high handicapper In the 20’s, someone told me to make sure I collect on the way in........ Maybe I collected the wrong prizes haha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Seve OB wrote: »
    I agree with blue note.
    A high handicapper with ability will always have the chance to shoot a great score but when they do, they get cut. If they keep playing and shooting good scores then they will keep getting cut.
    If theY mind their handicap like mentioned above, I’m not sure there is a lot you can do about it except report them to handicap sec for a cut on observation.

There is one thing about minding their handicap , but thE post above about reporting wrong scores is most definitely cheating.

The thing about it is I have often been called a bandit, a term I think can be abused, sure I may have the ability to shoot good shots and scores, but if I really was a bandit, I’d have a few captains prizes and other majors in the bag by now.

I remember when I was A kid and a high handicapper In the 20’s, someone told me to make sure I collect on the way in........ Maybe I collected the wrong prizes haha

The bandit term is the most ridiculous thing in golf...I am going through my worst spell of golf in a long time. Got my ACL operated on last year and missed a whole year of golf and it has set me back no end. I am trying to play off 13 at the minute and was struggling until I had 42 points at the weekend, it was out of no where to be honest, I was delighted obviously but I flucked at least 5/6 points on the round. Coming of the 18th after finalising the cards and one of my playing partners accuses me of been a bandit when I reveal my score and he sick of this place as its full of them. My previous 7 rounds I had scores of 30,27,27,29,26,28 and 24. This score was completely out of sync of where my form is at but sure what can you do...if I am a bandit then everybody that has played the game is one as this has happened to every single golfer. A freak score out of nowhere!! All I want to do is get my game back to where I am threatening single figures again, I could give a hoots about claiming prizes in some random run of the mill Sunday competition!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I agree with blue note.

Ah, but you are a bandit Seve :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭gman127

The bandit term is the most ridiculous thing in golf...I am going through my worst spell of golf in a long time. Got my ACL operated on last year and missed a whole year of golf and it has set me back no end. I am trying to play off 13 at the minute and was struggling until I had 42 points at the weekend, it was out of no where to be honest, I was delighted obviously but I flucked at least 5/6 points on the round. Coming of the 18th after finalising the cards and one of my playing partners accuses me of been a bandit when I reveal my score and he sick of this place as its full of them. My previous 7 rounds I had scores of 30,27,27,29,26,28 and 24. This score was completely out of sync of where my form is at but sure what can you do...if I am a bandit then everybody that has played the game is one as this has happened to every single golfer. A freak score out of nowhere!! All I want to do is get my game back to where I am threatening single figures again, I could give a hoots about claiming prizes in some random run of the mill Sunday competition!!

That seems harsh of your playing partner I'd say. 42 points off of 13 isn't outrageous. So you shot a 7 over gross score. That's good golf imo. Would he say the same of a 6 handicapper shooting level par gross I wonder??

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Sometimes the term bandit can be thrown around loosely/jokingly but it doesn't seem to be the case in this instance. I hope you put him in his place.

Ah, but you are a bandit Seve :D

I was going to say all bandits don’t wear masks, but sure at the moment............

Shot 30 points today. Lost 3 balls early on, I think I’m trying to hard to not hit bad and wild shots and it’s not suiting my game. Few months ago there were no comps and I was flushing it and shooting savage scores. Since then I think I’ve had 3 games in the buffer, about 7 games about the 30pointS or Slightly under and had a couple of good four ball games on the 36ish point mark. Team comp last week was my best score in months, shot 38 on my own, but a bloody team comp so no cut, we came 3rd with 89 so I suppose that kind of carry on deserves to have me called a bandit lol.

Captains on Saturday, was feeling that I could possibly shoot a score up till about 3 hours ago when I walked off the course having played my worst game in ages. Now I think I will be happy with the buffer.....but if I do win a prize I guess I’ll have to make sure the Bandit mask is on when I’m collecting haha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

PARlance wrote: »
    Sometimes the term bandit can be thrown around loosely/jokingly but it doesn't seem to be the case in this instance. I hope you put him in his place.

to be honest I was a bit shocked at his reaction so I didn't say anything. he just walked off anyway. I don't personally know the guy as the club has big numbers and I just stick my name down at the weekend anywhere I can get in. But I will be making sure to avoid that lad in the future at all costs....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I was going to say all bandits don’t wear masks, but sure at the moment............

Shot 30 points today. Lost 3 balls early on, I think I’m trying to hard to not hit bad and wild shots and it’s not suiting my game. Few months ago there were no comps and I was flushing it and shooting savage scores. Since then I think I’ve had 3 games in the buffer, about 7 games about the 30pointS or Slightly under and had a couple of good four ball games on the 36ish point mark. Team comp last week was my best score in months, shot 38 on my own, but a bloody team comp so no cut, we came 3rd with 89 so I suppose that kind of carry on deserves to have me called a bandit lol.

Captains on Saturday, was feeling that I could possibly shoot a score up till about 3 hours ago when I walked off the course having played my worst game in ages. Now I think I will be happy with the buffer.....but if I do win a prize I guess I’ll have to make sure the Bandit mask is on when I’m collecting haha

Ah I'm in the same boat as you myself Seve. Think I've maybe 3 buffers and 6 0.1s since qualifying came back and just cant put a round together

• Advertisement

Maybe I collected the wrong prizes haha

Finally picked up the right prize today :D
    And a cut ;)

39 points. Bandit score?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

You wouldn’t come near a cut in our place with 39. I know a lad that has not shot worse than 35 since the lockdown. He’s only gone from 12 to 11. Absolutely battering lads in the club match play as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭princess poppy

etxp wrote: »
    Seen plenty,

Playing up the ninth before teeing it up in the comp (not matchplay)

The practicing before the round really gets on my tits though!

You are entitled to play on the course before any competition as long as its not a stroke play competition, so you better no call anyone out on that

EDIT: Sorry, I have since been educated that I am incorrect in my understanding of ‘stroke play’, original poster was indeed correct

padmcv wrote: »
    I've heard of this being done by the group in front as a warning to stop hitting into them

I did that with a ball once from a pair that were hitting Dow on us all day but we were all being held up. Except I teed it up on the next tee box for him, made us feel a lot better!!!

You are entitled to play on the course before any competition as long as its not a stroke play competition, so you better no call anyone out on that

Posted correctly excluded matchplay in his statement.
    Rule 5.2 explicitly says playing or practice is not allowed on course before any competition.
    So he would not be wrong to call anyone out on it.

Perhaps your club has a local rule which would allow it?

Rule 5.2 explicitly says playing or practice is not allowed on course before any competition.

I stand corrected seve, I always understood stroke play to be total shots, I thought Stableford was separate, not a form of stroke play.
    Ya learn something every day,

well done yesterday, am sure you’re chuffed

I stand corrected seve, I always understood stroke play to be total shots, I thought Stableford was separate, not a form of stroke play.
    Ya learn something every day,

well done yesterday, am sure you’re chuffed
    Thanks princess
    Yea still buzzing, can’t wait to see the name go up on the wall now :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Thanks princess
    Yea still buzzing, can’t wait to see the name go up on the wall now :D

Will you stick up a proper post on it, not many of us have won what you won!! Well done.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

you know all the biggest cheaters are golfers must be at least 20%

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

- Youre having fun/doing things you want in your life now. Make sure youre saving (not hoarding). I just get this impression (am open to that am wrong) from your need to afirm/get validation that its hoarding, not saving.

BraveDonut wrote:
    Told a guy he couldn't play the ball outside of his 3 minutes and he was not happy

Your some stickler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,033 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

TCM wrote: »
    Your some stickler.

For obeying the rules?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

TCM wrote: »
    Your some stickler.

Yes, its an interesting topic. Someone is considered a stickler, or the bad guy, for pointing out the rules to someone else. Not uncommon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

It's one that people haven't gotten used to. Really, people ignored the 5 minute rule all the time. If you call a group through, by the time they've reached you your 5 minutes was possibly up. But in reality a lot of people used to keep looking while they played their second and finished up on the green. Probably closer to 12 minutes.

So if people ignored the 5 minutes so much, I'm not convinced the 3 minutes will be a rule people will pay attention to.

There is a fairness issue to it, because since some will obey it and some won't, those that obey it will be at a disadvantage and might feel put out that. And they're right, they will be at a disadvantage to those who ignore it. Ideally everyone would obey it, but I don't see this happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

And to be totally correct you can practice putting/chipping on or around the first tee before you tee off.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

blue note wrote: »
    It's one that people haven't gotten used to. Really, people ignored the 5 minute rule all the time. If you call a group through, by the time they've reached you your 5 minutes was possibly up. But in reality a lot of people used to keep looking while they played their second and finished up on the green. Probably closer to 12 minutes.

So if people ignored the 5 minutes so much, I'm not convinced the 3 minutes will be a rule people will pay attention to.

There is a fairness issue to it, because since some will obey it and some won't, those that obey it will be at a disadvantage and might feel put out that. And they're right, they will be at a disadvantage to those who ignore it. Ideally everyone would obey it, but I don't see this happening.
    It's also part of the slow play problem. You regularly see a whole group looking for a ball, for longer than the allotted three minutes. Then, eventually give up, the guy who lost the ball walks back up the fairway to play his provisional (he could have played it first as it landed shorter than where the 1st ball was deemed to have been lost) and then the others in the group set up and play their shots. All of which can eat up over ten minutes while the next group stand frustratedly on the tee box waiting for the clown show to come to an end. Rinse and repeat.

etxp wrote: »
    And to be totally correct you can practice putting/chipping on or around the first tee before you tee off.

You can do it on any tee you are about to play from and on/around the previous green, including chipping & putting unless there is a local rule preventing it.

5.5b

Yes, its an interesting topic. Someone is considered a stickler, or the bad guy, for pointing out the rules to someone else. Not uncommon.

I think its a bit of an Irish cute whore thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

GreeBo wrote: »
    You can do it on any tee you are about to play from and on/around the previous green, including chipping & putting unless there is a local rule preventing it.

5.5b

You are right, I was just referring to before the start of the round.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

blue note wrote: »

This is interesting! I understand what you are saying, but I totally disagree.

You could make this argument for any rule that people break. Because that's what we're talking about here, it's breaking the rules.

Effectively what you're saying is that it is ok to break the rules if you believe that others will be doing so. Effectively we should all be playing by the same rules, but sometimes not necessarily the rules of golf.

It very much opens the door to other rules being broken because others do it, like when taking a wrong drop for example: choosing not to take the nearest point of relief because it happens to be in a bush, and because others always do it that way, so taking the nearest point of relief that is a nice spot where you have a nice swing (this happens a fair bit!).

The rules are black and white. Dangerous ground to be condoning not playing by the rules. That the argument is so that others don't get an unfair advantage by you playing by the rules is not a great line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

This is interesting! I understand what you are saying, but I totally disagree.

You could make this argument for any rule that people break. Because that's what we're talking about here, it's breaking the rules.

Effectively what you're saying is that it is ok to break the rules if you believe that others will be doing so. Effectively we should all be playing by the same rules, but sometimes not necessarily the rules of golf.

It very much opens the door to other rules being broken because others do it, like when taking a wrong drop for example: choosing not to take the nearest point of relief because it happens to be in a bush, and because others always do it that way, so taking the nearest point of relief that is a nice spot where you have a nice swing (this happens a fair bit!).

The rules are black and white. Dangerous ground to be condoning not playing by the rules. That the argument is so that others don't get an unfair advantage by you playing by the rules is not a great line.

I don’t think Blue Note is saying it’s right, i think they’re just giving a fair summation of what happens in reality.

The clock is important when it’s a big interclub match or maybe the business end of a 36 hole captains, but for your run of the mill Saturday stableford or Tuesday open singles, what has and will always happen is that everyone will plod around in the thick stuff for a few mins looking for it; it could be 2 mins or it could be 4, people will never really get a stopwatch out. Also, I think in club circles I’d say the person who’s ball is lost says the usual “you lads go hit, I’ll keep having a look here” and a minute or two later as the partners are hitting he says I found it, you’d likely get marked out as a special kind of prick if you say “ah Johnny that’s at least 4 or 5 mins since you started, you’ll have to reload”. That’s wrong, but it’s what would happen most likely.

Advertisement