Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Information on soldiers in WW1

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I don't know enough about all this lark to know where to look next but interestingly, ancestry.com has an Irish Thomas F Kerrigan, born in 1895, arriving in Southampton. I don't know from where or when as my subscription has expired but you might get lucky with an ancestry.com search.

edit : 1911 census lists only 4 Thomas Kerrigans born in 1895

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭enfeild

He is not in Irelands Memorial Records nor Soldiers died in the Great War.
    Regards.
    Tom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭JohnThomas09

Ponster wrote: »
    I don't know enough about all this lark to know where to look next but interestingly, ancestry.com has an Irish Thomas F Kerrigan, born in 1895, arriving in Southampton. I don't know from where or when as my subscription has expired but you might get lucky with an ancestry.com search.

edit : 1911 census lists only 4 Thomas Kerrigans born in 1895
    That could be him.The following link is him on the census records from 1911 if its of any help: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Leitrim/Glencar/Tawnamachugh/656332/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

National Archives medal cards of T.Kerrigans below,none show up any for the Connaught Rangers,there is only one Kerrigan showing up for that regiment and his name is James Kerrigan but the CWGC records don't have this soldier listed as a casualty

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/search-results.asp?searchtype=browserefine&query=first_name%3dthomas%7clast_name%3dkerrigan&catid=10&pagenumber=1&querytype=1&mediaarray=*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

haven't found anything re Thomas Kerrigan on Ancestry. There is a small family tree on Ancestry for the brother Charles Kerrigan (1901 -1991) Glencar, Leitrim but it doesn't list Thomas (nor Bernard the other brother showing on the 1911 census).

There are a number of family trees for Kerrigan from Glencar, Leitrim on GenesReunited. Two have Charles but none appear to have Thomas or Bernard.

• Advertisement

arnhem44 wrote: »
    Theres three P. Jennings listed on the National Archives in England,below are there rank and number,Sorry I only listed one earlier.

Jennings, Patrick J
    Private
    Connaught Rangers
    Regiment No 5939
    1914-1920

also Patrick Jennings
    No.5940 Connaught Rangers
    And P.Jennings
    5967 Connaught Rangers

there's a Pension record for 5939 Patrick James Jennings on Ancestry but he's listed as being a Ship Plumber from 88 King St, Garston, Liverpool before joing 1st Bn Connaught Rangers.

There's a service record for 5967 Patrick Jennings, a labourer from Claremorris. Enlisted Nov 1915, Next of Kin Miss Maggie Jennings. He appears to have died as there are letters from a brother re claiming support for a younger sister (presumably the Maggie listed) and some dispute re an older sister re claiming belongings. A letter from the older(?) sister then shows him as L/Cpl no P/11737 and his date of death as 6th Oct 1918. This ties in with the CWGC record at

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=1481418

There's no service or pension record for 5940 Jennings that I can see. The medal card gives little info. Victory Medal and British War Medal but no Star. No Battalion or theatre of operations listed.

haven't found anything re Thomas Kerrigan on Ancestry. There is a small family tree on Ancestry for the brother Charles Kerrigan (1901 -1991) Glencar, Leitrim but it doesn't list Thomas (nor Bernard the other brother showing on the 1911 census).

There are a number of family trees for Kerrigan from Glencar, Leitrim on GenesReunited. Two have Charles but none appear to have Thomas or Bernard.
    Thats a great help.How can I access these?maybe the reason Bernard is not on them is because as far as I know he was killed in a house fire sometime after 1911 but he still should be on their.Thanks for that.

Thats a great help.How can I access these?maybe the reason Bernard is not on them is because as far as I know he was killed in a house fire sometime after 1911 but he still should be on their.Thanks for that.

You need to go to ancestry.co.uk and sign up for their 14-day free trial (you'll need a CC number). It'll cost you nothing as long as you cancel within the 14 days.

EDIT : I just checked the record and it just says that Charles married Florence Fallon who died in 1984 and they have a living descendent who married a women named 'Cotter' and who have a kid with the surname Kerrigan. They are restricting information to all people alive in their family tree.

Here are the people they list :

Cotter, Silvester 1880 - 1962 - Ovens, Cork, Ireland
    Fallon, Florence 1899 - Sligo, Ireland 1984 - Glencar, Leitrim, Ireland
    Kelleher, 1896 - 1968 - Ovens, Cork, Ireland
    Kerrigan, Charles 1901 - Glencar, Leitrim, Ireland 08-1991 - Glencar, Leitrim, Ireland
    Kerrigan, Patrick 1798 - Glencar, Leitrim, Ireland 1870 - Glencar, Leitrim, Ireland
    Kerrigan, Thomas 1850 - Glencar, Leitrim, Ireland 1923 - Glencar, Leitrim, Ireland

It appears to be Charles Kerrigan's grandson who is compiling the tree.

They are restricting information to all people alive in their family tree.

that's a feature of Ancestry for privacy reasons.

A family member/researcher can be invited to look at a tree as a guest/contributor/editor. It's worthwhile signing up for the free trial, conntacting the tree owner and then giving them your email address and asking them to invite you to the tree. You don't need to have an account to continue viewing the tree via this method.

there is a book/article that you might be able to get thru your library service re Charles Kerrigan :

Barr, Stuart. 'Charles Kerrigan and the mutiny of the Connaught Rangers at Solon, 1920'. Cathair na Mart (Westport Historical Society), 10 (1990), 84-93. ISSN 03324117.

I have a copy of Pollock's "Mutiny for the Cause" re the Connaught Rangers at Solon etc but no mention of Kerrigan.

You need to go to ancestry.co.uk and sign up for their 14-day free trial (you'll need a CC number). It'll cost you nothing as long as you cancel within the 14 days.

EDIT : I just checked the record and it just says that Charles married Florence Fallon who died in 1984 and they have a living descendent who married a women named 'Cotter' and who have a kid with the surname Kerrigan. They are restricting information to all people alive in their family tree.

Here are the people they list :

Cotter, Silvester 1880 - 1962 - Ovens, Cork, Ireland
    Fallon, Florence 1899 - Sligo, Ireland 1984 - Glencar, Leitrim, Ireland
    Kelleher, 1896 - 1968 - Ovens, Cork, Ireland
    Kerrigan, Charles 1901 - Glencar, Leitrim, Ireland 08-1991 - Glencar, Leitrim, Ireland
    Kerrigan, Patrick 1798 - Glencar, Leitrim, Ireland 1870 - Glencar, Leitrim, Ireland
    Kerrigan, Thomas 1850 - Glencar, Leitrim, Ireland 1923 - Glencar, Leitrim, Ireland

It appears to be Charles Kerrigan's grandson who is compiling the tree.
    thanks for that.Well im Chalres great Grandson,he had twelve children and he came from a family of eleven,so were all over the place by now:cool:
    what records did ya get this on??the 14day free trial doesnt seem to be on offer.It Charles older brother i'd like to find out more about.

• Advertisement

that's a feature of Ancestry for privacy reasons.

A family member/researcher can be invited to look at a tree as a guest/contributor/editor. It's worthwhile signing up for the free trial, conntacting the tree owner and then giving them your email address and asking them to invite you to the tree. You don't need to have an account to continue viewing the tree via this method.

there is a book/article that you might be able to get thru your library service re Charles Kerrigan :

Barr, Stuart. 'Charles Kerrigan and the mutiny of the Connaught Rangers at Solon, 1920'. Cathair na Mart (Westport Historical Society), 10 (1990), 84-93. ISSN 03324117.

I have a copy of Pollock's "Mutiny for the Cause" re the Connaught Rangers at Solon etc but no mention of Kerrigan.
    Ya i know a good bit about Charile's exploits,he was at Solon with James Daly and the others.Its the older brother that im keen to research..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

Ya i know a good bit about Charile's exploits,he was at Solon with James Daly and the others.Its the older brother that im keen to research..

dont know if you read ''The Devil To Pay'' by Anthony Babington . its a bit onesided but has godd info in it.Charles Kerrigan is mentioned in it quite a bit. you might also try ''The connaught Rangers'' by T.P Kilfeather . The irish Sword issue Summer2001 has 3 articles about the munity in it if you can lay your hands on it. i have a keen interest in the munity in india and james daly in particular. i got my hands on his army bed plate a few months back.

thanks for that.Well im Chalres great Grandson,he had twelve children and he came from a family of eleven,so were all over the place by now:cool:
    what records did ya get this on??the 14day free trial doesnt seem to be on offer.It Charles older brother i'd like to find out more about.

The free trial offer is available on the first page of the site.

The person who created the tree seems to be Charles's grandson and so maybe an uncle or 2nd cousin of yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭spidersonmars

Hi,
    I've hit a dead end. My great Grand father above signed up to the 8th in 1901(Curragh) for a second time. He was kicked out for being too young the first time. I believe that his brother John was in the same regiment and signed up in 1914. I have been on ancestry etc. But I could see a service number and am slightly unsure if I found the correct person. The regiments historian has retired so a bit of a dead end there. He's not on the 1911 census because I believe that he was stationed in India at the time. I have ordered the regs history but I'm not hopeful of getting further details. If anyone has any tips I would be most greatful.

The free trial offer is available on the first page of the site.

The person who created the tree seems to be Charles's grandson and so maybe an uncle or 2nd cousin of yours.
    Just wondering if you could help me further.I have found out some information on my relative.I found out that there was a Thomas Kerrigan that was with the 7th Regiment of the Royal Irish Rifles,he was killed in France on the 7-9-1914,i have his soldier number.Im looking to get a copy of this mans death cert,to make sure its my relative.Any advice?

I don't think that there are death certs issued for WWI casulties I'm afraid.

This T.K. has the following info in his file :

Birth Place: Manorhamilton, CO. Leitrim
    Residence: Boyle, CO. Roscommon

But I can't find any soldier records which would of hand next-of-kin details.

The T.K. who died on 7-9-1914 is the one I referred to in my post on the previous page.

I've sent you a PM.

I don't think that there are death certs issued for WWI casulties I'm afraid.

quote]

death certs were issued for WW1 casualties (or at least for some). I have the death cert for my Gt Grandfather who was KIA in France in 1917. There are a separate batch of indexes for soldiers killed in WW1 in the GRO in London but you don't get any information that's not already dealt with via the CWGC site or Soldiers Died in the Great War.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭lebowski11

This is a long shot....
    I've been researching my family tree of late(thanks pinkypinky for the thread...great help) but I've hit an impasse with regards to my great grandfather on my fathers side. His name was Patrick Whelan and he supposedly fought in the Great War. The thing is, Pat apparently changed his name from Phelan to Whelan in order to join the British army. He attempted to join in Limerick, where he was born, but he was too young. I'm told that he then signed up in Waterford under the new name of Patrick Whelan rather than Patrick Phelan.When this happened I dont know.I've found a couple of Pat Whelan's on the ancestry website that signed up in Limerick and Waterford.I'd greatly apprecated it if any one with access to this site could look up these Patrick Whelan's for me. I know that Patrick married in the first half of 1918 so he was discharged before then. Apparently he was shell shocked but made a recovery. For those in the know, was it common for teenagers to lie about their age in order to sign up? I believe that Tom Barry did so.I think he was 15 and added a year or two to his age. Thanks, and sorry about the long winded post.

lebowski11 wrote: »
    When this happened I dont know.I've found a couple of Pat Whelan's on the ancestry website that signed up in Limerick and Waterford.

Do you have links to these people on the Ancestry site? I checked 3 people who signed up in Waterford; one signed-up in1908, another has a Louise Walshe (sister), Portlaw as next-of-kin and the third is missing too many docs to make anything out.

I didn't see any linkied with Limerick though hence my asking for the links.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭lebowski11

Thanks for your help Ponster.
    http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?gl=39&gst=&rank=1&new=1&MSAV=0&msT=1&gsfn=patrick&gsln=whelan&msbpn__ftp=lmerick&_83004002=irish&sbo=0&gss=angs-c&ghc=20&fh=40&fsk=BEENq34IgAAEwwAdXEg-61-

Patrick Whelan Limerick is second from bottom on the list.The Patrick Whelan with with Louise Walsh as sister and Portlaw as next of kin doesn't seem to fit. The other 2 are promising. No Patrick Phelan/Whelan appears on the 1911 census that match up with my great Grandfather so it is possible that he signed up in 1908. The info I have on him is pretty sparse but I hope to meet up with his last surviving son in a couple of weeks. He's pushing on but might be able to fill in some of the blanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Maverick88

Dear all, this is a real stab in the dark. All I know of my great grandfather is that his name was James O'Brien and he lived at 55 Ross Road Enniscorthy, Co Wexford. He was married to Mary and died in the Ross Road

One of my uncles gave me my great grandfathers cap badge, two crossed machine guns- Machine Gun Corp?

My Mum doesn't know anything about him as he died before she was born, all she does know is that her grandmother got a Pension from UK. Seems my great grandfather made it home.

The only one of my family that knew much about my great grandfather is an uncle, who unfortunately these days would be hard pushed to tell you what day of the week it is thanks to the produce of Arthur Guinness.

Is this a lost cause?

Thanks

Maverick88 wrote: »

One of my uncles gave me my great grandfathers cap badge, two crossed machine guns- Machine Gun Corp?

This one ?

uk_royal_machine_gun_corps_cap_badge.jpg

I'm off to bed now so can't do much but if anyone else can search, there is a "James Brien" listed in the 1911 census as being 18 at the time, so born in 1893. but the address in 10 Ross Road and not number 55. There is another Brien family living at number 19.

This one ?

uk_royal_machine_gun_corps_cap_badge.jpg

I'm off to bed now so can't do much but if anyone else can search, there is a "James Brien" listed in the 1911 census as being 18 at the time, so born in 1893. but the address in 10 Ross Road and not number 55. There is another Brien family living at number 19.

Ponster, thats the very one- I'll have another chat with my mum and check. Thanks very much indeed

Just checked, possible it was 19, she only knew of 55 Ross Road.

Ponster, thats the very one- I'll have another chat with my mum and check. Thanks very much indeed

Well you were right about the machine gun corps then.

Just for infos sake, here's a list of all the families that lived on Ross Road in 1911. There's no saying that they weren't in 55 later on.

I'll go searching tomorrow and see what we can dig up :)

1901 census :
    55 Ross Road, Laurence Walsh and family (Mary, Patrick and Peter)

1911 census
    55 Ross Road, Margaret Morrisey and family (Mary and Stephen)

13 James O'Briens in the MGC according to Ancestry. Nothing on the medal index to indicate a link to Enniscorthy.

1 James Brien who was Connaught Ranger and then MGC

Would you be able to supply the parents names and the gt uncle? It may help but it may be that there's too many to choose from.

Lads I'm very grateful.

This is very strange, the cenus for 1901 throws up the Walsh family, this is my Mums married name, only they're all from Wexford town. Just strange that of all the surnames to come up its my own!

Literally thats all I know of him. As I said only an uncle (who still lives on the Ross Road) knows much about him. He showed me a couple of medals along with the cap badge. He gave me the cap badge on pain of death if I ever lost it. The medals however he would not let out of the house. Have a recollection that one had an orange/yellow striped ribbon and it was circular- sorry I'm not being much help here am I?

Cant remember the other medal, other than it was also circular

1911 census
    55 Ross Road, Margaret Morrisey and family (Mary and Stephen)

The 'interesting' thing is that I found a WWI record for a "Michael Morrissey, residence : Ross Road, Enniscorty". Right house (no:55 but wrong person) :)
    13 James O'Briens in the MGC according to Ancestry. Nothing on the medal index to indicate a link to Enniscorthy.

I took their reg. numbers and searched for each but didn't find any link to Wexford.

• Advertisement

Cant remember the other medal, other than it was also circular

The 1914 Star, British War Medal and the Victory Medals are the ones you'll find most often on medal cards.

I'm pretty sure that original WWI medals have the soldiers name and regimental number engraved along the side. Worth checking out !

Advertisement