Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rail line to Adare for Ryder Cup

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,210 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I suppose a possible major benefit of the Foynes routing then might be dualling Limerick Junction to Colbert line to ensure Passenger operations aren't negatively impacted by multiple ore trains a day?

If they move the ore by train I imagine that most of the he journeys will be off peak.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

Companies shift bulk numbers of containers as well. The majority of the Ballina freight flow is for Coca Cola. Obviously road is going to be a lot more attractive and affordable if your only shifting 2 or 3 containers. The more carbon taxes, labour ect increases companies shifting 30 plus loads a day will see rail freight as a more attractive option. There's also a big emphasis on companies to cut carbon emissions which is where rail freight offers an easy solution.

Not every delivery lands at the local port. A good example of this is the way fyffes bananas enter the country. Cork receives 55 or 60 containers of bananas every week which are shipped up to Dublin for nationwide distribution. That's just one brand of bananas I'm sure there is many more examples of across all of the industries.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

IE 222 wrote: »
    Obviously road is going to be a lot more attractive and affordable if your only shifting 2 or 3 containers. The more carbon taxes, labour ect increases companies shifting 30 plus loads a day will see rail freight as a more attractive option. There's also a big emphasis on companies to cut carbon emissions which is where rail freight offers an easy solution.

The problem with this idea, is the truck manufacturers are aware of issues with carbon taxing and as result they are all rushing to build full EV and Hydrogen powered trucks.

Given the relatively short distances in Ireland, full EV trucks really shouldn't be difficult to do in the short term.

The carbon tax argument then goes away fast versus Diesel driven trains (which can and should also swap to EV or Hydrogen of course).

So then it just comes down to the cost of rail versus trucking, without carbon tax playing much of a consideration.

BTW In the long term driverless trucks will be also be very disruptive. Of course that could be applied to trains too.

bk wrote: »
    The problem with this idea, is the truck manufacturers are aware of issues with carbon taxing and as result they are all rushing to build full EV and Hydrogen powered trucks.

Given the relatively short distances in Ireland, full EV trucks really shouldn't be difficult to do in the short term.

The carbon tax argument then goes away fast versus Diesel driven trains (which can and should also swap to EV or Hydrogen of course).

So then it just comes down to the cost of rail versus trucking, without carbon tax playing much of a consideration.

BTW In the long term driverless trucks will be also be very disruptive. Of course that could be applied to trains too.

As you say trains can match whatever trucks can do ect. Point still stands about the cost of running 18 trucks versus 1 train. The key part of the post which you took out was the difference between shifting a couple of containers versus a bulk amount. Of course your post makes road more appealing when talking about singular loads.

Where a long long way of from driverless trucks so I wouldn't be factoring that in.

Taxes, whatever we may call them now will just be renamed when the time comes to do so. It's a large source of income for the state and it will need to be delivered one way or another regardless of the motive power.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Off topic posts about Drogheda bus service moved to a new thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Going to Foynes involves bundling a private freight flow over a passenger line for more than 20km into the heart of Limerick city. How many trains per day use the tracks inside the M7 compared to the Lim - Wat line?

If the customer is going to pay for it great, I don't see how it would be a good invest for the taxpayer though. Maybe IE could allow the customer and/or SFPC lease the line for the lifetime of the mine and let them reinstate and maintain it at their own expense. They would obviously have to interact with IE services east of Limerick.

The point I was making is that if taxpayer money is being used, that investment could deliver more benefits on an existing operational line, benefiting both passenger and freight services. If the customer only wants use Foynes then they can pay for that themselves.

So Tax payer money on roads, landowners and private partnerships is fine, while tax payer money on publicly owned railways isn’t. One could be forgiven for thinking that if there isn’t a boondoggle for a private organisation in there, infrastructure investment won’t happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

So Tax payer money on roads, landowners and private partnerships is fine, while tax payer money on publicly owned railways isn’t. One could be forgiven for thinking that if there isn’t a boondoggle for a private organisation in there, infrastructure investment won’t happen.

My post was in response to someone saying reopening the Foynes line would be exclusively for a private organisation, why should the taxpayer contribute to that? I suggested that that any taxpayer money be invested in the existing operational line which would also benefit a passenger service which is slowly dying due to lack of investment. Tax payer money on publicly owned railway exclusively for a private enterprise isn’t fine.

My post was in response to someone saying reopening the Foynes line would be exclusively for a private organisation, why should the taxpayer contribute to that? I suggested that that any taxpayer money be invested in the existing operational line which would also benefit a passenger service which is slowly dying due to lack of investment. Tax payer money on publicly owned railway exclusively for a private enterprise isn’t fine.

Don't see the issue here as IE will be paid for such services. Should the Navan line be closed?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Don't see the issue here as IE will be paid for such services. Should the Navan line be closed?

Mod: The Navan line is off topic for this thread. This thread is about the Adare line.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

That is a completely different situation, the Navan line doesn't have to be rebuild at significant capital cost. Whatever IE get paid for services to Foynes, I doubt it would go anywhere near covering the capital cost of reinstating the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

That is a completely different situation, the Navan line doesn't have to be rebuild at significant capital cost. Whatever IE get paid for services to Foynes, I doubt it would go anywhere near covering the capital cost of reinstating the line.

I still feel like the greatest benefit IE could get from this is working dual tracking and grade separating Limerick Junction to Limerick and the reconfiguration of Limerick Junction into this proposal, maybe even do the whole thing as a PPP with the mining operation, that would vastly improve operations for IE in the Limerick area and would help offset the outlay a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

Last Stop wrote: »
    I’m sorry, I can’t agree with this, Qatar is building practically everything for the FIFA World Cup. South Africa did the same for their work cup. Athens the same for the Olympics. While these are on a different scale to the Ryder cup, so is reopening 15km of rail line rather than building entire metro systems

What will all the stadia in Qatar be used for post world cup?

Do you know what has happened in SA and Greece?

Greece went essentially bankrupt and altered the books to fund the Olympics

• Registered Users Posts: 24,602 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

JJJackal wrote: »

Qatar, Greece and SA are 3 countries pretty high on the list of countries I don't want Ireland copying

• Registered Users Posts: 15,048 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

JJJackal wrote: »

In their bid they actually said they would cut the stadiums in half and sell the upper tier to poorer African countries.

The stadiums were to be modular so the upper tier could be sperated and used as it's own single tier building.

Not sure how much of that is going to happen but I read it in the days leading up to the decision in 2010.

In their bid they actually said they would cut the stadiums in half and sell the upper tier to poorer African countries.

The stadiums were to be modular so the upper tier could be sperated and used as it's own single tier building.

Not sure how much of that is going to happen but I read it in the days leading up to the decision in 2010.

Pretty sure every WC and Olympics lies through its teeth about infrastructure and legacy when bidding. The Ryder cup is probably no different

Paddico wrote: »

Needing it as a condition of a Europort license is probably the only chance this project has. The Ryder cup will get a mention but this is the real key.

Sorry I'm a bit of a novice on trains and was wondering can you run a freight train with a passenger carriage or two stuck on and kill two birds with one stone

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Needing it as a condition of a Europort license is probably the only chance this project has. The Ryder cup will get a mention but this is the real key.

Sorry I'm a bit of a novice on trains and was wondering can you run a freight train with a passenger carriage or two stuck on and kill two birds with one stone

No demand and not practical these days. The Attymon Junction/Loughrea branch which closed in 1975 was the last line where such a service operated.

Del.Monte wrote: »

No demand and not practical these days. The Attymon Junction/Loughrea branch which closed in 1975 was the last line where such a service operated.

No demand for which the passenger line or the line in general?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

No demand for which the passenger line or the line in general?

No demand for having goods wagons attached to passenger trains as there's no longer sundries (general) merchandise on the Irish railway system.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The CRR would have kittens and it would be of basically no cost benefit anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Ireland trains

A suburban rail network in Limerick was mentioned again recently by Green Party TD Brian leddin mentioning stations at Raheen, Ballysimon and Adare to name a few. He also mentioned shannon which surprised me.
    I assume that he is referring to the Limeick transport study. Any word on when it is due to be published?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

LSMATS came out against a Limerick Commuter rail network, in a fit of short sightedness. It envisages a growth in car commuters in the region *eyeroll.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

A suburban rail network in Limerick was mentioned again recently by Green Party TD Brian leddin mentioning stations at Raheen, Ballysimon and Adare to name a few. He also mentioned shannon which surprised me.
    I assume that he is referring to the Limeick transport study. Any word on when it is due to be published?
    It was published a few months ago. Thread here. It recommends massive bus improvements. No mention of rail other than double tracking the Limerick to Limerick Junction line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

cgcsb wrote: »
    LSMATS came out against a Limerick Commuter rail network, in a fit of short sightedness. It envisages a growth in car commuters in the region *eyeroll.

Funnily enough, CMATS saw a massive growth in car commuters too.

*Cough*
    Not fit for purpose
    *Cough*

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

cgcsb wrote: »

I don't understand how in this day and age any report saying "We envisage an increase in car commuters to the city" doesn't immediately follow that with a line saying "In order to prevent this we are developing the following measures:"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭pigtown

Well if you look at the council's current proposals for low density housing in Mungret and Moyross along with their pushing of the LNDR then you have to conclude that those in power don't have an issue with cars

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Ireland trains

It was published a few months ago. Thread here. It recommends massive bus improvements. No mention of rail other than double tracking the Limerick to Limerick Junction line.
    Was that not the draft version. In irish rail's submission the suggested stops at parkway, moyross and possibly a parkway at Cratloe

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The whole Ireland 2040 document is centred around compact growth but it seems that's being ignored around the country by both councils and the NTA. In Dublin since 2017 most residential development has been outside the M50 and most of it is houses, not apartments. The money to be spent on CMATS is mostly on new roads and it proposes doing close to nothing for public transport in Cork until about 2030, the year be which we'll have missed every climate change target going

• Advertisement
Advertisement