Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Worldwide Handicap System

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭blue note

Yep, I'm corballis. You have to remember though that the average boards member is young for a golfer, and likely not struggling for distance relative to the average golfer. So corballis being so short is a huge thing for the average golfer. So I do think it's right that it's rated as easy.

But the rating seems a bit extreme. And not appropriate for younger golfers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I deffo think Cor Blimey Corballis is an easier course and handicaps should be lower when playing it and when members play away from home they would probably see their playing handicaps a bit higher. mainly as mentioned above because of it being so short.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭jp101

Does anyone know what will happen at the point the new system kicks in. I’ve had a poor year and have gotten my 10 .1s back and I guess that my best 8 would give me at least 3 and perhaps more back. Will that happen straight away? I know there are caps involved but not sure how that works at cut over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

jp101 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what will happen at the point the new system kicks in. I’ve had a poor year and have gotten my 10 .1s back and I guess that my best 8 would give me at least 3 and perhaps more back. Will that happen straight away? I know there are caps involved but not sure how that works at cut over.
    Straight away - CONGU ends and WHS starts. Caps only apply within the WHS and don't have any crossover with CONGU.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭jp101

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Straight away - CONGU ends and WHS starts. Caps only apply within the WHS and don't have any crossover with CONGU.

Thanks for that. That won’t feel good but I suppose it is what it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

The simple explanation is that your handicap for a course can be looked up on a table displayed in the clubhouse and you write that number on your scorecard*.

*These days (Covid permitting) all the information will be on the label that's printed out when you enter a competition on the computer. So no change really. :)

My course has this table up now, I looked at my category where the calculator says I will be. 8.5-9.6 i think it was which I found odd. I’ll play off 9.

etxp wrote: »
    My course has this table up now, I looked at my category where the calculator says I will be. 8.5-9.6 i think it was which I found odd. I’ll play off 9.
    Why odd? The table works back from the course handicap, so a 9 course handicap will be allocated to a range of handicap indexes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Apparently our club will be keeping the congu handicaps converted to winter handicaps until qualifying restarts in April. Just what I heard today but could be BS.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Apparently our club will be keeping the congu handicaps converted to winter handicaps until qualifying restarts in April. Just want I heard today but could be BS.
    Qualifying comps can be held after November 2nd. It's not like you have to stop them until April. In fact clubs are encouraged to have as many qualifying comps as possible, hence some of the model local rules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Any word if the GUI will be using Nov 1 as the cut off for lowest previous year HC / for club teams etc?

There will be lots of unhappy captains if they stick to the calendar year. That's based on the assumption that most people will lose a shot or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭macslash

Sorry if this question makes no sense but will our HI replace our Handicap on competition results on HDID etc? I'm guessing there'll be no 'new' HI either listed? Thanks

macslash wrote: »
    Sorry if this question makes no sense but will our HI replace our Handicap on competition results on HDID etc? I'm guessing there'll be no 'new' HI either listed? Thanks
    Yes to the first. Can't figure out what you're asking in the second.

Apparently our club will be keeping the congu handicaps converted to winter handicaps until qualifying restarts in April. Just what I heard today but could be BS.

But your new handicap will be on golf Ireland. I don’t see how your club can decide to “keep” your old handicaps as its not really their decision.

Seve OB wrote: »
    But your new handicap will be on golf Ireland. I don’t see how your club can decide to “keep” your old handicaps as its not really their decision.
    I took it to mean that they would be running NQ competitions in the winter using the old CONGU handicaps. All run internally without GolfNet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

For non qualifying golf they can pretty much make up any rule they want and use whatever system they want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

For non qualifying golf they can pretty much make up any rule they want and use whatever system they want.

That's it, winter handicaps have always been managed internally in the club.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

That's it, winter handicaps have always been managed internally in the club.

Ah ok. So if you play an open or something you will have access to your new WHS index

Yes to the first. Can't figure out what you're asking in the second.

What I meant was after a competition your new handicap is given, on HDID anyway. I.e. if you got .1 back or got cut an amount and have a new handicap. Will this be the same or what? My understanding (which is probably wrong) was that we wouldn't really know our HI until the day of a comp when we register in the clubhouse. Sorry if I've gotten this ar$eways.

What I meant was after a competition your new handicap is given, on HDID anyway. I.e. if you got .1 back or got cut an amount and have a new handicap. Will this be the same or what? My understanding (which is probably wrong) was that we wouldn't really know our HI until the day of a comp when we register in the clubhouse. Sorry if I've gotten this ar$eways.
    No, you should know within a day. There was some discussion as to whether your HI would be visible in club software or not, but my understanding is that it will. There will also be an app from GUI/Golf Ireland that will give you this info too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭kennethrhcp

Hi lads, is golfnet updating with our new handicaps? I'm currently off 8.6 which is right and all scores have been processed. My club records still show me at 8.6 but golfnet tonight has my exact at 8.2

A friend of mine is currently off 7.4 but golfnet has him down as 6.4

golfnet back to my correct handicap now. was a strange one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Thanks for that. That won’t feel good but I suppose it is what it is.

I guess its a toss up between feeling bad being off (lets pick 18) versus feeling bad having 28 points off 15 :o

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭TheFarneyman

Is there still a non qualifying winter or is that done away with under the new system?

Is there still a non qualifying winter or is that done away with under the new system?
    Non-qualifying is still non-qualifying. It's worth noting though, that qualifying competitions can still be held during the winter, provided that the rules of golf have not been altered to the point that they no longer apply in some circumstances. Such as placing in the rough or more than 50% of bunkers being out of play etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,421 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

PARlance wrote: »
    Any word if the GUI will be using Nov 1 as the cut off for lowest previous year HC / for club teams etc?

There will be lots of unhappy captains if they stick to the calendar year. That's based on the assumption that most people will lose a shot or two.

If that happens though, every club will be in the same boat so it wont make any difference

Rikand wrote: »
    If that happens though, every club will be in the same boat so it wont make any difference
    Plus it won't be from November 1st since handicap indexes will go back 20 competitions/scores anyway.

PARlance wrote: »

From listening to the GUI podcast it sounds like most people will actually go out a tiny bit, in the main (I think they said 85%) Will be little to no difference. It’s the lower guys who are more likely to go down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Rikand wrote: »

Oh ya, I understand that but I was playing with a captain recently and he had the guys of his team for next year more or less mapped out. I hadn't the heart to say that there could be a lot of changes with the new system.

From listening to the GUI podcast it sounds like most people will actually go out a tiny bit, in the main (I think they said 85%) Will be little to no difference. It’s the lower guys who are more likely to go down

Looks like I will lose a shot based on my very rough calculation of average from best 8.
    Nett differentials:
    +1
    +1

Averaging exactly 4 over against CSS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭username?!

Will there be a list of course slopes and ratings?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭KevH1984

I'm in a similar boat to you off my rough calculations from my last 20 counting competitions. Currently 3.9 exact, new WHS average +1.7 over par so I'd say I'm definitely going to lose 1 if not 2 shots. Going to be big changes come next year if that's the case.

• Advertisement

KevH1984 wrote: »
    I'm in a similar boat to you off my rough calculations from my last 20 counting competitions. Currently 3.9 exact, new WHS average +1.7 over par so I'd say I'm definitely going to lose 1 if not 2 shots. Going to be big changes come next year if that's the case.

Could be curtains for your interclub career! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭KevH1984

GreeBo wrote: »
    Could be curtains for your interclub career! :o

😢😢😢😢

We'll make the best of it anyway

Clubs will have sight of member's new handicap indexes this week. They are being asked to review them and assess whether any might need an adjustment. Some changes to scorecards are also advised with spaces for handicap index, course handicap and playing handicap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭Russman

Clubs will have sight of member's new handicap indexes this week. They are being asked to review them and assess whether any might need an adjustment. Some changes to scorecards are also advised with spaces for handicap index, course handicap and playing handicap.

Now there's a thankless task if ever there was one !

Actually how will that work in practice ?
    If someone's best 8 from last 20 throws up an index of say, 12, and the club decide for whatever reason that's too high and Joe should be off 10, what will happen when he plays his next round and the system looks at his best 8 again ? Won't it likely just throw up another index of 12 ? I've a feeling I'm missing something here !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Why are they reviewing?
    Best 8 from 20 on a rolling 20 scored should require no intervention i would have thought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

I would read it that they are getting the clubs to do a further peer review of the results of the algorithm

Anything reported will be used for final testing. Mick wont even open it. I nearly considered offering to do it for him!

gypsy79 wrote: »
    I would read it that they are getting the clubs to do a further peer review of the results of the algorithm

Anything reported will be used for final testing. Mick wont even open it. I nearly considered offering to do it for him!

And if they were to adjust a players initial index, when the player plays his next round the calculations will correct him to where he should be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭paulos53

Russman wrote: »
    Now there's a thankless task if ever there was one !

Actually how will that work in practice ?
    If someone's best 8 from last 20 throws up an index of say, 12, and the club decide for whatever reason that's too high and Joe should be off 10, what will happen when he plays his next round and the system looks at his best 8 again ? Won't it likely just throw up another index of 12 ? I've a feeling I'm missing something here !

The way ESR works is to reduce the differential of your past 20 scores by 1 or 2 shots so that future handicap updates will automatically handle the cut.

I assume any cuts from the club will work the same way

They are being asked to review where there is a difference of 3 or more between current playing handicap and proposed Handicap Index. This is fair enough I suppose as it might throw up a few outliers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭willabur

Just got an ESR from my last round before lockdown#2
    with normal cut that drops me from 12 to 10.7 in one go
    I just recalculated my handicap using the calc pasted here before
    Handicap = 12 :(

Why are they reviewing?
    Best 8 from 20 on a rolling 20 scored should require no intervention i would have thought
    I would imagine there are a number of reasons for this. ESRs were mentioned above although they are reported to have been taken into account in the WHS calculations. The impact of the one stroke limit has to be considered. Generally these are dealt with in the annual review, but I reckon the start of WHS would work as a substitute for this. Players who have few rounds in the current season and have been assessed over more than one year (the look-back was to be up to three years) may have inaccurate handicaps. And then there's the possibility that slope ratings aren't as accurate as they should be (and I think that's probably true anecdotally anyway) so large variances would highlight this. If you remember, the advice was not to put course and slope ratings on scorecards as they would be under review in the initial period.

Finally, the highlighted variances would be in the order of more than three strokes, so this would not affect too many imo.

I guess it would only be higher handicaps that would see a 3+ shot change.

I would imagine there are a number of reasons for this. ESRs were mentioned above although they are reported to have been taken into account in the WHS calculations. The impact of the one stroke limit has to be considered. Generally these are dealt with in the annual review, but I reckon the start of WHS would work as a substitute for this. Players who have few rounds in the current season and have been assessed over more than one year (the look-back was to be up to three years) may have inaccurate handicaps. And then there's the possibility that slope ratings aren't as accurate as they should be (and I think that's probably true anecdotally anyway) so large variances would highlight this. If you remember, the advice was not to put course and slope ratings on scorecards as they would be under review in the initial period.

Finally, the highlighted variances would be in the order of more than three strokes, so this would not affect too many imo.

But will it not be a constant recalculation when you play a game unless best 8 stay the same. So if manual intervention is there, how does the system keep that in the next calculation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,634 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Was running my scores through the calculator to see where I'm likely to be at. One thing I've noted is that I have an NR from a society outing earlier in the year, when we played Portmarnock, which would be among my last 20 qualifiers.

We played the society outing, and I forgot to put my score in to the computer afterwards (was a bit distracted as it was the first society outing of the year & was doing presentations, etc...) Any ideas on how that NR would be treated from a calculation perspective. Will it just be skipped, so I should exclude it from the the calculation and include another one at the end, or would I get some sort of default score of Net-Double for every hole for the round?

Curious if anyone knows the treatment for initial calculation purposes?

I excluded it for the purpose of trying to get an approximation, and came up with 9.1 (currently at 10.3)

Was running my scores through the calculator to see where I'm likely to be at. One thing I've noted is that I have an NR from a society outing earlier in the year, when we played Portmarnock, which would be among my last 20 qualifiers.

We played the society outing, and I forgot to put my score in to the computer afterwards (was a bit distracted as it was the first society outing of the year & was doing presentations, etc...) Any ideas on how that NR would be treated from a calculation perspective. Will it just be skipped, so I should exclude it from the the calculation and include another one at the end, or would I get some sort of default score of Net-Double for every hole for the round?

I excluded it for the purpose of trying to get an approximation, and came up with 9.1 (currently at 10.3)

From the systems point of view that shouldnt be part of your best 8?

• Advertisement

it would be skipped, as you need to have at least 10 holes played i believe for it to count
    GreeBo wrote: »
    From the systems point of view that shouldnt be part of your best 8?

true, but skipping or including could make a difference as it will bring in another card by skipping it.

Where can you find this calculator? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭blue note

I'm totally getting shots back. Average of 29.5 points from my last 20 rounds, 19 of them on an easy course. Average of my best 8 is 34.25, 7 on an easy course.

And I deserve the shots too. Average 26 points in my last 5 competitive rounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭willabur

Where can you find this calculator? Thanks

https://www.calculator.net/golf-handicap-calculator.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,634 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

it would be skipped, as you need to have at least 10 holes played i believe for it to count

true, but skipping or including could make a difference as it will bring in another card by skipping it.

That's it, the round wouldn't be in my best 8,but it bumps the other rounds down a round, as it's the 10th round in my lineup.

• Advertisement
Advertisement