Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Squawk as you see fit (Off Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

Travelling through Dubai next month, arrive just after midnight and have 8 hours to kill before connecting onward. Anyone been before and know if there's much to do in DXB?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

SRFC90 wrote: »
    Travelling through Dubai next month, arrive just after midnight and have 8 hours to kill before connecting onward. Anyone been before and know if there's much to do in DXB?

If it's Emirates you're flying with then they might give you a free hotel room as your connection is 8+ hours wait. Handy if you want a snooze/shower etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

If it's Emirates you're flying with then they might give you a free hotel room as your connection is 8+ hours wait. Handy if you want a snooze/shower etc!

It is Emirates, I must enquire about this!

I see Air Contractors is to be renamed ACL Airlines Ireland. All the other regional operations will follow suit too- Europe Airpost to become ACL Airlines France etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Has anyone used Transavia DUB - ORY yet ? I'm planning last minute kind of getaway to Paris with the girlfriend in a couple of weeks and the fares are pretty decent at 130 return. What are the facilities like at ORY these days ? Haven't been to that airport since I was a kid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

Strumms wrote: »
    Has anyone used Transavia DUB - ORY yet ? I'm planning last minute kind of getaway to Paris with the girlfriend in a couple of weeks and the fares are pretty decent at 130 return. What are the facilities like at ORY these days ? Haven't been to that airport since I was a kid.

Orly (I'll admit I haven't been there) I've been told is Paris' nicest airport by more than one person, very efficiently run and close to the city. Transavia appears to be a run of the mill LCC, not sure on service so I won't say anything about them.

man98 wrote: »
    Orly (I'll admit I haven't been there) I've been told is Paris' nicest airport by more than one person, very efficiently run and close to the city. Transavia appears to be a run of the mill LCC, not sure on service so I won't say anything about them.
    q

Thanks, in the end we went for a slightly more expensive fare with EI to NCE again mainly for the weather but I'll be looking at Transavia again if the prices keep in the region as they are. Anyway ORY cannot be worse then Beauvais I'm never doing that trip again. Once was enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

I guess I'm not going to be very helpful, I was at Orly in 2007 I think. The airport seemed a bit out-dated back then, I'm sure it has been renovated since. I think it was the last place where I saw the old CRT screens in Europe.. But ignoring that, no issues whatsoever, nice staff, no queues anywhere, as far as I can remember.

The only negative thing - I remember being very upset about the cost of a train ride from central Paris to this airport, I can't remember what was it, but given it's quite central location I felt really ripped off

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Anyone doing the Shannon airport 5k runway run next week?
    It's at midnight, start at the terminal, go left (north?) Then along the runway and back a different taxiway to the terminal.
    Signed up for pure plane nerd kicks, and of course, it's for charity!

Anyone doing the Shannon airport 5k runway run next week?
    It's at midnight, start at the terminal, go left (north?) Then along the runway and back a different taxiway to the terminal.
    Signed up for pure plane nerd kicks, and of course, it's for charity!

Nope.. however that sounds like a brilliant idea and a great way to raise money for charity and have a bit of craic, something different certainly in a good way.

• Advertisement

Strumms wrote: »
    Nope.. however that sounds like a brilliant idea and a great way to raise money for charity and have a bit of craic, something different certainly in a good way.

Yeah, it's their second year doing it (didn't do it last year, wouldn't have been able). Looks like they make a big party atmosphere in the airport beforehand as well. It's next Friday so I'll report back!

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Razor44

Does anyone else massive meme potential in this pic. ..

ghhhaaa. the pic wont attach ill sort it later...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

Yeah, it's their second year doing it (didn't do it last year, wouldn't have been able). Looks like they make a big party atmosphere in the airport beforehand as well. It's next Friday so I'll report back!

I'd love to do that but it's a bit of a trek for a 5k run :(

Do Dublin ever hold anything like it?

jimbis wrote: »
    I'd love to do that but it's a bit of a trek for a 5k run :(

Do Dublin ever hold anything like it?

True, I'm only a few miles away, which helps. Never heard of anywhere else doing it. Shannon does be quiet at times, so they can schedule it around quiet times, not a hope I'd say in Dublin.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

A load of marketing crap........
    Alitalia new livery explained by their PR people. I think all 4 points are bollix.
    http://www.adweek.com/news/advertising-branding/alitalias-brand-new-look-seems-lot-its-old-look-and-heres-why-165221

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Tenger wrote: »
    Alitalia new livery explained by their PR people. I think all 4 points are bollix.
    http://www.adweek.com/news/advertising-branding/alitalias-brand-new-look-seems-lot-its-old-look-and-heres-why-165221

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Tenger wrote: »

Personally I think it's a really nice re-design. Less is more. Two and Three are most definitely not bollix.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    Personally I think it's a really nice re-design. Less is more. Two and Three are most definitely not bollix.

Its not the design I dislike, it the marketing spin that is put on things like this.
    Each to their own of course. (I have two mates who regularly over analyse font and shading on app designs)
    The re design is not bad, more white is a negative as overall it makes airports more boring. But commercial reality is that mostly white is cheaper to repaint during the life span of the aircraft.

True, I'm only a few miles away, which helps. Never heard of anywhere else doing it. Shannon does be quiet at times, so they can schedule it around quiet times, not a hope I'd say in Dublin.

Reporting back. It was fun, very strange being on a runway on foot. Never had a concept of how wide a runway would be as well. Something different for a Friday night anyway :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

can anyone remind me the url of an Irish website where you can listen to ATC, similar to liveatc.net? I'm looking for a recording for Shannon low level FIS 127.5 from few days ago, liveatc doesn't stream it, I was hoping maybe someone else has it?

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Lockheed

Today I saw the ethiopian 787 for the first time, it flew over my house at 5k feet, what a sight. Those general electric engines sound amazing. It really is a spectacular aircraft

Documentary on Tony Ryan starting on RTE1 now.

I see Ryanair are looking for slots at Paris Orly to start Orly-Faro and Orly-Madrid flights this Winter. Could certainly see them shifting much of their BVA operation there if thye could, a similar thing to their operation at Prestwick with most the flights moved to Glasgow Intl

http://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/38348-ryanair-applies-for-paris-orly-slots

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Lockheed

Just saw that Cubana have 3 orders for IL-96-400s.
    I know that Cuba is a somewhat-popular Irish tourist destination, I was wondering if cubana would operate a new service from Havana to Dublin? Can the IL-96-400 take off/land on Dublin's runway?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Did Aer Lingus do a cadet programme for this year? Don't recall seeing anything so I'm assuming they didn't?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Did Aer Lingus do a cadet programme for this year? Don't recall seeing anything so I'm assuming they didn't?

They had cadetship interviews etc. late last year and took 12 people in January.

http://blog.aerlingus.com/blog/2015/01/21/welcome-to-the-family-pilot-cadet-class-of-2015

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Nim wrote: »
    They had cadetship interviews etc. late last year and took 12 people in January.

http://blog.aerlingus.com/blog/2015/01/21/welcome-to-the-family-pilot-cadet-class-of-2015

But that was for last year cadetship recruitment though

Advertisement