Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squawk as you see fit (Off Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Carnacalla wrote: »
    I wonder if todays turkey terriost attack will effect turkeys tourism industry to a large exent. I know someone heading there in 5 days and they are considering abandoning their holiday. (Albeit its a completely different part of turkey)

Sadly all of these countries which are perceived to be at higher risk of attack due to their proximity to certain areas and security limits are likely to feel the brunt of economic downturn. Mind you there has been a lot of activity in France this year so you're pretty much at a risk most places :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUJLWR5IkRY

Wow is the only word to describe this video of an A380 go-around. It amazes me to see such a massive body manage to move that much and that quickly. Imagine how loud it was too!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Does the A380 have a different SOP for landing gear retraction in the event of a go around or did the lads forget that bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,044 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

did the lads forget that bit?
    or elected to leave them extended as they had all engines operating and no second segment climb constraints.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭VG31

Are there any reasons why TAP Portugal and Austrian Airlines don't fly to Dublin? I've noticed that Ireland is the only country in Western Europe that these airlines don't fly to. I was thinking Austrian Airlines flights to Vienna would make sense as EI are the only airline that operate that route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭uxiant

VG31 wrote: »
    Are there any reasons why TAP Portugal and Austrian Airlines don't fly to Dublin? I've noticed that Ireland is the only country in Western Europe that these airlines don't fly to. I was thinking Austrian Airlines flights to Vienna would make sense as EI are the only airline that operate that route.

Ryanair and Aer Lingus have the Faro route locked down and there's probably not enough demand to compete with Ryanair to Porto. As far as I can remember TAP did fly from Lisbon to Dublin but they stopped a good while ago now. Aer Lingus fly to Lisbon and I believe Ryanair began flying that route recently so there's a lot of competition and it probably makes sense for TAP to use their resources on other routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

uxiant wrote: »
    Ryanair and Aer Lingus have the Faro route locked down and there's probably not enough demand to compete with Ryanair to Porto. As far as I can remember TAP did fly from Lisbon to Dublin but they stopped a good while ago now. Aer Lingus fly to Lisbon and I believe Ryanair began flying that route recently so there's a lot of competition and it probably makes sense for TAP to use their resources on other routes.

TAP served DUB-FAO/LIS around the early 2000s, EI then arrived on the FAO route with scheduled flights soon enough after 9/11 closely followed by FR. In 2004 If I remember correctly EI launched daily ops to LIS, TAP then left the market closing its two routes in the same year. They had in peaks month sent the A310 from FAO to DUB!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭VG31

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

"the Mail on Sunday discovered"

No, no you didn't

Wills is going incredibly bald for his age, though.

Wow they really have surpassed themselves this time...........they can also track all other passenger flights OMG of course nobody is as important as a Royal though :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Friday 24 July 2015
    Ryanair to offer first budget flights to Kepler-452b Luton airport

Budget airline Ryanair has stolen a march on the competition by offering discount flights to newly discovered Earth-like planet Kepler-452b, flying into Kepler-452b Luton airport.

Kepler-452b is about 60% larger than Earth and at a temperature of approximately 20C it is likely to be more welcoming than a number of the ****holes Ryanair currently flies to.

Chief Executive Michael O’Leary said, “It is important for us to retain our position as the leading provider of cheap flights to hard to reach places.”

“I am sure you’ll all agree that Kepler-452b is a wonderful destination to add to our roster of glamorous weekend getaways.”

“For just £20 return, excluding taxes and any other charges we can think of, we we will fly you to Kepler-452b Luton airport, where you will be just a short 1,400 light year bus journey away from your final destination.”
    Ryanair Kepler-452b return deal

Customers have already expressed their dismay at just how far outside Kepler-452b the Kepler-452b Luton airport actually is.

Simon Williams told us, “I’m used to a lengthy transfer when flying with Ryanair, but I would draw the line at landing in a different country – never mind a different solar system.”

“That said, a brief wander through Luton town centre gives us a pretty good idea what primitive alien life might be like on Kepler-452b.”

http://newsthump.com/2015/07/24/ryanair-to-offer-first-budget-flights-to-kepler-452b-luton-airport/?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Any chance the A&A mods could issue mod instructions in ATC mode?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

tricky D wrote: »

oooh, I second this :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

tricky D wrote: »
    Jaysus, its had enough to try to keep civil......break

:confused: Tango Echo November: Rereadtype requested please.

Who's callsign is Jaysus on this freq?
    RU dropping yours 'r's like some of tha the-ata atists do nowadays? Or what's had enough?
    Is break an instruction? What speed should I cool my jets to?

Tango Romeo Delta, over.:confused:

:p

I came prepared for this eventuality :cool: Given my foresight on this matter, I recommend making me a mod with immediate effect.

fr336 out

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Mick55

Independent: Dramatic scenes as Aer Lingus pilot swerves to avoid private jet that strayed onto runway during take off (in Geneva Airport)

Not the usual media hysteria, actually seems to be a fairly close call. Probably physically not that close but in the aviation world a close shave! Will make for an interesting Incident Report!

Edit: Sorry if already discussed.
    Edit2: May actually be media hysteria, I don't know.. Haven't had my coffee today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

Nice toilet Mech1 :D that was me feeding the bunnies..... (Ref. periscope)

I'd like to blame fr336 for starting all this :pac:

jimbis wrote: »
    Nice toilet Mech1 :D that was me feeding the bunnies..... (Ref. periscope)

I'd like to blame fr336 for starting all this :pac:

What did I miss here :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

fr336 wrote: »
    What did I miss here :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Their was a broadcast of some Luton guys toilet..... With an atc feed in the background :D

jimbis wrote: »
    Their was a broadcast of some Luton guys toilet..... With an atc feed in the background :D

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Lockheed

Getting my first flight lesson with Flightwise on the 14th.. Flying at 5 pm in the Grob G115! I am really excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

Lockheed wrote: »
    Getting my first flight lesson with Flightwise on the 14th.. Flying at 5 pm in the Grob G115! I am really excited.

sounds great but be prepared for postponement, weather this summer has been absolutely awful, I had more cancellations than I had lessons, don't let that bum you out

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/boeing-revises-quotobsoletequot-performance-assumptions-415293/
    Model Seats, Range (new) Range (old)
    737-700 3,010nm 3,445nm
    737-800 2,935nm 3,085nm
    737-900ER 2,950nm 3,050nm
    737 Max 7 3,350nm 3,850nm
    737 Max 8 3,515nm 3,660nm
    737 Max 9 3,515nm 3,630nm
    737 Max 200 2,700nm 3,345nm
    787-8 7,355nm 7,850nm
    787-9 7,635nm 8,300nm
    787-10 6,430nm 7,000nm
    777-8X 8,700nm 9,390nm
    777-300ER 7,370nm 7,850nm
    777-9X 7,600nm 8,200nm
    747-8 7,730nm 7,790nm

Some very interesting range revisions by Boeing here. the most interesting I think is the massive drop for the 737 MAX 200, projected range less than the current series 737-800. Surely, Ryanair won't be too pleased with that!

Received this today, nice knowing you all

You Have Won the International Air Travel Passenger Award

Please proceed for your award ($1,000,000.00) claiming. Kindly contact Rashad Karaky at rashardkara@travelersaward.com

Rgrds,
    Susan Hanna

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

I've seen a few shots of planes landing in LAX from this angle. How do people get these shots? Parallel runway?

http://www.planespotters.net/Aviation_Photos/photo.show?id=594079&from=flightradar_200

Given that it's dropping in to 24R, maybe 24L, and the position of those 2 runways relative to the 25s, and the angle of the shot, I'd reckon it's a shot from a helicopter with big lens.

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    I've seen a few shots of planes landing in LAX from this angle. How do people get these shots? Parallel runway?

http://www.planespotters.net/Aviation_Photos/photo.show?id=594079&from=flightradar_200

There's a few heli companies very near LAX that do special spotting trips over LAX and orbit the central area and then orbit north and south of the parallels. Reasonable price too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

Lockheed wrote: »

how did it go? Are we going to have another pilot on the boards?

Advertisement