Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ashes 2013 - see mod warning in post 689

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

wow wow wow

117/9

What a collpase!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

I had to go away from my desk for a while come back and hear that Aus collapsed. TMS is great :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Yeah, really enjoying TMS, my first time properly listening to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭liamoreilly

...What the **** are the English doing...They id so well this morning, potentially a 70 run lead...Aussies will lead if this keeps up...

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Elro

Somehow Australia have made it to lunch, excellent last wicket stand from Agar and Hughes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Methinks that this Agar lad is somewhat better than your average number 11 batsman! He hasnt exactly slogged his way to 69; its been a good innings with a lot of proper shots.

England have massively messed this up though; psychological advantage to Australia with that lead when they should have been facing the guts of 100 run first inning deficit.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Elro

djimi wrote: »
    Methinks that this Agar lad is somewhat better than your average number 11 batsman! He hasnt exactly slogged his way to 69; its been a good innings with a lot of proper shots.

He defiantly is, he's only batting there because it's his test debut and not a bad debut hes had either :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,508 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Yeah, really enjoying TMS, my first time properly listening to it.

The nut radio sport show.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Spectacular stand from Agar. Proper sports hero stuff.

Edit: cr*p. Kiss of death.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Aww just before his century.

• Advertisement

Gutted for the lad; truely brilliant knock and fully deserving of his ton.

I wonder where they will bat him in the second innings?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Can anyone explain why that ball that was going to hit the wickets was not out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Hawk Eye isn't perfect and it is only there to overturn howlers, not marginal decisions. If less than half the hall is pitching in line or hitting (or hits pad more than 2.5 meters from the stumps) then it's left with whatever the umpire decided as there is no conclusive proof to reverse the decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Hey guys, wondering why tea was called at 7.4 in an over?

Why not throw 2 more deliveries to get to finish the over?

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭jimmy the car

Hey guys, wondering why tea was called at 7.4 in an over?

Why not throw 2 more deliveries to get to finish the over?

Thinking that myself as well, only thing now is it's a Pietersen/Cook partnership which if got going could rack up a big score....if Starc doen't get his hatrick that is!

They have always called lunch/tea/stumps in the middle of the last over of a session if a wicket falls. Not really sure why!

KevIRL wrote: »
    The nut radio sport show.

Yeah it's unreal tbh. They have all angles covered. Listening to the ashes round up now, great way to catch up on how the day unfolded.

Regarding Agar, he played for Henley on Thames in the Home Counties premier league. They had his coach on 5 live talking about Agar and that he made a 50 before in another match. They also said he can really bat and not just a slogger trying to bang out some runs.
    He could be one for the future :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Ponting was quite positive about Agar also, looked very good out there today. Deffo not a number 11, hopefully it will turn out to be a great debut

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Have I missed something in the furore over Trott?

There was no clear evidence he hit the ball - even Snicko later on - and he was plumb lbw which is the clear evidence to overturn Dar's decision.

dfx- wrote: »
    Have I missed something in the furore over Trott?

There was no clear evidence he hit the ball - even Snicko later on - and he was plumb lbw which is the clear evidence to overturn Dar's decision.

There was not clear evidence he didn't hit the ball either. Original decision was not out so conclusive evidence should have been required to overturn it. My gut reaction was he nicked it, most of the Sky heads thought he nicked it, and Trott thought he had nicked it. Unfortunately the side on hot spot camera cannot record and playback at the same time and as they had the footage of Root's catch cued up it didn't pick up the conclusive view.

Erasmus is a good umpire but I feel Trott should have been given the benefit of the doubt considering the missing camera and original call.

Edit:Just reading the morning news and seen that the ICC actually apologised to England and admitted Erasmus was wrong. Can't remember that happening before.

• Advertisement

To be honest I thought that on viewing Trotts dismissal I thought that it was blatantly obvious that he hit it; the ball quite clearly nicks off the edge of the bat onto the pads. It certainly was not conclusive enough to suggest that the original not out decision should have been overturned. I have nothing against technology in umpiring, in fact I warmly welcome it, but in this case it got it wrong and just goes to show that we should not be relying solely on the decisions of technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

djimi wrote: »
    To be honest I thought that on viewing Trotts dismissal I thought that it was blatantly obvious that he hit it; the ball quite clearly nicks off the edge of the bat onto the pads. It certainly was not conclusive enough to suggest that the original not out decision should have been overturned. I have nothing against technology in umpiring, in fact I warmly welcome it, but in this case it got it wrong and just goes to show that we should not be relying solely on the decisions of technology.
    Not only are they relying on technology (which I agree with), I think it's a bit rich of them to rely on a TV company to provide them with that technology.

Apology on behalf of the Trott decision is an empty gesture too, in my opinion.

Come 11 o' clock this morning, his bat and pads will still be in his locker gathering dust until Lords.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Rascasse wrote: »
    There was not clear evidence he didn't hit the ball either. Original decision was not out so conclusive evidence should have been required to overturn it. My gut reaction was he nicked it, most of the Sky heads thought he nicked it, and Trott thought he had nicked it. Unfortunately the side on hot spot camera cannot record and playback at the same time and as they had the footage of Root's catch cued up it didn't pick up the conclusive view.

I thought he didn't hit it, Erasmus clearly thought he didn't hit it, Snicko says he didn't hit it. Has Dar come out and said why he didn't give it?

I don't think it's on the Darryl Harper scale of bad decisions

Eng 104-2 (Cook 38*, Pietersen 57*)

WICKET- Pietersen b Pattinson 64 (Eng 121-3 57 ovs)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

That kid is by far the best thing about the Ashes so far.

Crikey, Broad edged and caught, Dar didn't give it and Broad didn't walk. Payback for Trott? Aussies with no DRS appeals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

Rascasse wrote: »
    Crikey, Broad edged and caught, Dar didn't give it and Broad didn't walk. Payback for Trott? Aussies with no DRS appeals.

Never walk! As they said on TMS An Aussie wouldn't have walked so fair play to him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Never walk! As they said on TMS An Aussie wouldn't have walked so fair play to him.

yes and we hate the aussies for it, it's called bad sportsmanship - never going to listen to a lecture about fair play from england again, furthermore it is far worse than the trott incident which was just a technical mishap and a 50/50 call - this was a guy who was 100% out who knew that and didn't walk, poor umpiring, poor sportsmanship and as I said England can't look down their nose at Aussie gamesmanship again

I expected better from Broad, winning is one thing, winning with dignity and class is another

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

donfers wrote: »

I expected better from Broad, winning is one thing, winning with dignity and class is another

I wouldn't expect anything better from Broad, not a pleasant individual and certainly wouldn't associate the word class with him.

Otherwise another good days cricket, and it's going to be a great series I think. Two evenly matched teams both capable of brilliance but also total collapse at drop of a hat.

Advertisement