Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free physical Revolut card

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks for that! I don't seem to have that "Payments" section on my account? My account is a business account, I wouldn't have thought it makes a difference for sending money, but maybe it does...

However... in the mean time, I noticed an option when sending money that you can actually change the currency you send it with paypal, so I tried send the amount and it seemed to only take about 200 off the account, instead of €208...

I don't think this option would be possible when doing an online store checkout though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

wasnt there an option on paypal to have multiple currency accounts ? as if i go into my pp account it has option to manage currencies.

Am i correct to assume if i have gbp on revolut card and buying trough pp in pound it wouldn't go trough ? as mentioned above.

That said what about sites such as amazon will it take gbp out of account or will it try to convert euro if selected to pay in pounds <this might be asked before but input appreciated.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

OmegaGene wrote: »
    There is a way to sort it, Revolut sent me a link on live chat a while back to sort it
    Here is a copy and paste of what they sent

For future transfers, you can go on the Payments section on PayPal and then select "Pre-Approved Payments" and then select "Funding Sources" and then click on "Conversion Options” next to your card. This will give you the option to select "Bill me in the currency listed on the seller's invoice". Then click submit and save. This is not a guaranteed fix but it should prevent PayPal from applying their conversion again.

That option no longer exists as far as I can make out. When I navigate to www.paypal.com/myaccount/settings/payments the only options I see are 'automatic payments' and 'your preferred way to pay' and there's no 'conversion options' in there anywhere.

Each time you make a foreign-currency purchase though, the option to pay in the seller's currency should be offered as part of the checkout process as it's a legal requirement.

cormie wrote: »
    However... in the mean time, I noticed an option when sending money that you can actually change the currency you send it with paypal, so I tried send the amount and it seemed to only take about 200 off the account, instead of €20

But did it bill your card in £ or €?

scamalert wrote: »
    That said what about sites such as amazon will it take gbp out of account or will it try to convert euro if selected to pay in pounds <this might be asked before but input appreciated.

Amazon, by default, will try to do the currency conversion for you too unless you have it turned off in your account.

• Advertisement

Quackster wrote: »
    But did it bill your card in £ or €?

I checked the exchange rate on Revolut for £180, it seemed to be just over €200, so I put in €201, did the transaction on Paypal and it says "Spent £180" on Revolut, and says it's €200.04?

Says exchange rate is 1-0.8998

then says fee is €0.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭TheChizler

However... in the mean time, I noticed an option when sending money that you can actually change the currency you send it with paypal, so I tried send the amount and it seemed to only take about 200 off the account, instead of €208...

Sorry what do you mean by you tried to send it to PayPal? Send what currency to where?

I checked the exchange rate on Revolut for £180, it seemed to be just over €200, so I put in €201, did the transaction on Paypal and it says "Spent £180" on Revolut, and says it's €200.04?

Says exchange rate is 1-0.8998

then says fee is €0.

If you go into the transaction in the Revolut app does it show an exchange or Sterling amount?

I sent the £180 to the person I'm getting something from, I went to sent money and initially I was just putting in what they would receive (£180) and it was showing €208 EUR in the "what it would be sending on the left", then I realised you can change that to also be GBP, so it was then showing:

You will send £180, Person will receive £180.

Then it's showing up as the attached image in my revolut account.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,091 ✭✭✭batistuta9

That option no longer exists as far as I can make out. When I navigate to www.paypal.com/myaccount/settings/payments the only options I see are 'automatic payments' and 'your preferred way to pay' and there's no 'conversion options' in there anywhere.

Each time you make a foreign-currency purchase though, the option to pay in the seller's currency should be offered as part of the checkout process as it's a legal requirement.

It's there they've it buried though. You'd never find it, one of the best examples of a setting being hidden, probably deliberately

Payments
    Manage automatic payments
    Manage automatic payments page
    Set available funding sources
    Conversion options (needs to be done for every card)

• Advertisement

I sent the £180 to the person I'm getting something from, I went to sent money and initially I was just putting in what they would receive (£180) and it was showing €208 EUR in the "what it would be sending on the left", then I realised you can change that to also be GBP, so it was then showing:

You will send £180, Person will receive £180.

Then it's showing up as the attached image in my revolut account.

Ah I see you were just checking out what PayPal's exchange rate was basically.

From the screenshot your Revolut was charged in Sterling anyway so you figured it out!

batistuta9 wrote: »
    It's there they've it buried though. You'd never find it, one of the best examples of a setting being hidden, probably deliberately

Payments

That's it!! Thanks a lot! Now I wonder would it ever be a case where PayPal's rate is actually better? :o

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I use the bank rate, but it means I end up being charged a currency exchange from BOI on top of the transaction. Will be loading my revolution from now on for all those purchases!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Kat1170

antodeco wrote:
    I use the bank rate, but it means I end up being charged a currency exchange from BOI on top of the transaction. Will be loading my revolution from now on for all those purchases!

Will you be wearing a Yellow Vest :):):)

batistuta9 wrote: »

Payments

Ah, they've really hidden it now! I missed the 'manage automatic payments' step. For anyone else looking for it, the direct link is: https://www.paypal.com/ie/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_profile-merchant-pull-funding&buyer_hub

Ah, they've really hidden it now! I missed the 'manage automatic payments' step. For anyone else looking for it, the direct link is: https://www.paypal.com/ie/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_profile-merchant-pull-funding&buyer_hub
    I had to look at that page 3 times before I saw the Set available funding sources link, they really don't want to encourage you to buy in the seller's currency.

I wish I got that guys name from Paypal so I could ring him back now! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 31,847 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

bazz26 wrote: »
    Yes you have to pay the Government stamp duty. On Revolut debit card it's charged 12c per ATM transaction and capped at €2.50 per year for ATM only transactions. If you use it for both ATM and card transactions then the cap is €5 just like any other debit card here. You can blame the Irish Government for that.

https://community.revolut.com/t/irish-customers/3901

It's also worth noting that Revolut charge higher exchange rates on weekends than weekdays. They are still cheaper than your bank though and their currency exchange rates on weekdays are interbank rates so near identical to those on xe.com.
    I take out the limit free per month from atm (200 pounds) and I dont remember being charged any transaction fees?
    Use it regularly in northern ireland.

Is anyone else not able to view statements on transactions? Tapping the button does nothing most of the time, other times it just shows a little spinny loading icon for a second, but then nothing happens?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭rustledjimmies

Is anyone else not able to view statements on transactions? Tapping the button does nothing most of the time, other times it just shows a little spinny loading icon for a second, but then nothing happens?!

Working fine for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

try removing the app and reinstalling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

gmisk wrote: »
    I take out the limit free per month from atm (200 pounds) and I dont remember being charged any transaction fees?

I've only taken money out once and was definitely charged the 12c. Don't take out money often as I use the card to pay for things.

gmisk wrote: »

The 12c stamp duty only applies when using ATMs in the Republic of Ireland.

irishgeo wrote: »
    try removing the app and reinstalling it.

No luck I'm afraid :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭rustledjimmies

Should be some interesting developments to look forward to: https://blog.revolut.com/we-got-a-banking-licence

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Has anyone ordered their physical card recently? Mine was due to arrive on 17 December at the latest but still no sign. I'm reluctant to reorder just in case it's slow given the time of year.

Anyone else delayed in getting theirs?

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Gerard93

Has anyone ordered their physical card recently? Mine was due to arrive on 17 December at the latest but still no sign. I'm reluctant to reorder just in case it's slow given the time of year.

Anyone else delayed in getting theirs?

Mine due also 17th but I got it few days previous was surprised as I thought it would be delayed with Xmas etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Just saw a mail from Revolut, free card until Christmas Day for new customers.
    Over the next few months, we’ve got some neat things coming your way. From budgeting controls per category to commission-free stock trading, you’re in for a treat.

Right now, you probably know someone who is travelling overseas for Christmas or looking to budget their spending in the New Year, so why not let them know about Revolut?

From now until Christmas Day, all new customers can order their first Revolut card for free. So, if you’re looking for that last minute stocking filler, let your friends, family and colleagues know! And remember, Revolut is better with friends!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Sure isn’t that what the thread is about

It was about Cyber Monday offer I guess. Didnt see anyone mentioning about the current one. Hance the post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,847 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The 12c stamp duty only applies when using ATMs in the Republic of Ireland.
    Ah that makes sense, I would only ever use outside ROI.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement