Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weekend On One With Brendan O'Connor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,320 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

One thing I learned is damo seems to be a huge snooker fan

• Registered Users Posts: 15,320 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

MLOD gets an instant mute any time she turns up on radio or tv in this house.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭southstar

seamusk84 wrote: »
    That was a horrific show today. I usually always look forward to listening to TWOO every Sunday when I am out walking.

But today was just noise and nastiness. MLD does not lend well to the show and basically just ruined any kind of conversation or flow. I hope that is the last time they ever bring her on.

Also hope Brendan O'Connor is back from his jolliers next week as he would have kept her in check better.

I agree the show was poorly managed...a dogs dinner..and yesterday's discussion about the royals...a borefest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Cole

One thing I learned is damo seems to be a huge snooker fan

I enjoyed that interview with Dennis Taylor. He always seemed like a good guy...got a bit overshadowed (as one of the top Irish players) by the more 'flamboyant' Alex Higgins:rolleyes: back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,903 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

TBH even though DOR can be off at times, he is miles better than BOC.

That drony voice of BOC does my head in. Much prefer the Newstalk show with Gavan Reilly, has a bit more life to it. Well a lot, and the usual hangers on in RTE are not to be found anywhere near it which is another bonus.

• Advertisement

Much prefer the Newstalk show with Gavan Reilly, has a bit more life to it. Well a lot, and the usual hangers on in RTE are not to be found anywhere near it which is another bonus.

Gavan R is good but (the few times) I've tuned in, it seemed to be pretty much the same familiar names on the panel...I've heard Fergus Finlay and Colette Browne (God help us) on it a couple of times in recent weeks.

Cole wrote: »
    Gavan R is good but (the few times) I've tuned in, it seemed to be pretty much the same familiar names on the panel...I've heard Fergus Finlay and Colette Browne (God help us) on it a couple of times in recent weeks.

I know, but the pace of the show is good though.

Not sure about the sports segment given that it is wall to wall from 1oclock onwards anyway.

Enjoy the historian.

I know, but the pace of the show is good though.

Not sure about the sports segment given that it is wall to wall from 1oclock onwards anyway.

Enjoy the historian.

Yes, similar take on it too...but don't like the politician interview at the beginning/the sports segment/2 panellists. Overall, I just don't like the format of the show, so I've stayed with the RTE alternative, but it's tough going with BOC.

Yes, similar take on it too. Overall, I just don't like the format of the show, so I've stayed with the RTE alternative, but it's tough going with BOC.

I just listen back to RTE on the app in case I missed anything, but never miss anything important either, it's all wallpaper anyway, and to reiterate, BOC is a boring presenter. Not impressed with him, I don't think he is interested at all and is going through the motions.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

lookit ! Maid Marian was good at her job ...but not €450K good ...her salary was a disgrace ....but not her fault ...the fault of the unelected RTE mandarins ..who dispense largesse with gay abandon.

RTE need to get a good host in for this important slot ...Ballsy and Damo are just not up to it ..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

I think that this morning Damien should have put the reins on MLD to curb her characteristic "bull in a china shop" approach to discourse. If they were going to bother to get a guest on the phone, then they should have cleared some space for him to talk. I wouldn't make any more of it than that. Damien is still showing signs that he could well step in to one of the main presenting roles on RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,112 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Folks, never let these scones like Browne and Finlay and their fellow travelers dictate the way you think.

I listened to it in the car - it was more like the Colosseum with all the baying for blood than a stimulating and entertaining debate. Michael Cawley killed the Failte Ireland story by resigning, but that didn’t stop a desperate attempt to resuscitate it.

“CLEAR!”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Infoanon

While MLOD is getting a lot of the blame here imho Karl Dieter and Michael Mc Namara (chair person of the Dail Covid 19 committee !) also played a pivotal role in today's car crash of a show.

Damien lost control of the show today - contributers shouting over each other and making contradictory statements - which is why he isn't up to the role on a full time basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,112 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

That coin McNamara was the main problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Jesus the Creme de la Creme behaving like 4 year olds at a birthday party ... "I want to sit with my friend or I'll scream and scream". Pathetic!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,550 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Brendan to a publican: "Declan you sound desperately flat"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,560 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I turned off Bobby Kerr for this? Jaysus. What’s going on? Brenner giving it his best “Joe Duffy”?

Why are more and more shows talking to the “plebs”? Is there not enough of that during the week?

Sure, the odd “vox pop” is alright but having to listen to ordinary citizens drone on and on about something they should have a learned “expert” discussing is getting very old.

Is it a money saving “exercise”?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Back to open the pubs ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 23,550 ✭✭✭✭zell12

'people are dying for the schools to open'
    what an unfortunate way to phrase it..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

Slightly related question. Does anybody know why the quality of phone in interviews has got so bad since lockdown? It seems to me that calls are constantly dropping or the quality is so poor as to be useless. Is it that more and more people are using IP phones? BTW the current one is pretty good.

Missed the start of the show guys, is there anything worth listening back to?

Edith, a survivor from Auschwitz is a "gas woman". I think Brendan could have put it better!!

I turned off Bobby Kerr for this? Jaysus. What’s going on? Brenner giving it his best “Joe Duffy”?

Why are more and more shows talking to the “plebs”? Is there not enough of that during the week?

Sure, the odd “vox pop” is alright but having to listen to ordinary citizens drone on and on about something they should have a learned “expert” discussing is getting very old.

Is it a money saving “exercise”?

Turned off Bobby Kerr too after the first 5/10 minutes of his panel just stating the obvious again about the Clifden crew.

The beginning of BOC was alright. Bit more of an insight into the 'thinking' around the organisation of the Clifden thing.

Mav11 wrote: »
    Edith, a survivor from Auschwitz is a "gas woman". I think Brendan could have put it better!!

Hah never even thought about that til you mentioned it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

How can all the Munster playes get tested on Friday and have results Monday but normal joe soap can be waiting a week?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,560 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

khalessi wrote: »
    How can all the Munster playes get tested on Friday and have results Monday but normal joe soap can be waiting a week?

I’m guessing they paid for private testing.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

khalessi wrote: »

Some of the new saliva tests can have results back in minutes.

Another really poor show overall from BOC. Not waiting till the end...the comfort food thing is enough now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Lilly Higgins sister of "comedienne" Maeve another rte favourite

Advertisement