Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SoulCalibur V discussion thread

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Bento Sento

I guess I'll have to learn Taki now! :(

You playing my characters dawg? Sounds like we need a mirror match. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭BigStupidGuy

Getting so sick of these "HD" rereleases.

THE FUTURE OF FIGHTING GAMES: Gratuitous repackaging of old games for a quick buck, sounds about right.

cough cough MK9 - Injustice......

@Bento No I always use Natsu in SCV so I'll just go Taki now! Oh I'll bring it dawg.... money match! :cool:

Test you Well lol...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

I guess I'll have to learn Taki now! :(

Oh was it SC 2 or 3 that was supposed to be the most balance in the series?
    It's 2. SC3 never even had playtesting!

However, Soulcalibur 2 does have a pretty annoying bug called '2G'.
    If I attack and the opponent guard impacts me, there's a 4 frame window where I can press Down+Guard (2G) to instantly recover into a block.

This means most of the cast have safe pokes that could also be safe if the opponent GIs em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭TheMikenyan

Sairus wrote: »

If I attack and the opponent guard impacts me, there's a 4 frame window where I can press Down+Guard (2G) to instantly recover into a block.

This means most of the cast have safe pokes that could also be safe if the opponent GIs em.

While I assume they won't be altering the game balance, at the very least they might be able to remove bugs and glitches like 2G.

Just found SCII for Xbox at CEX for 2.50! Gonna start relearning the game on stick in preparation for the bloodbath that's to come! :P

Sairus wrote: »

While I assume they won't be altering the game balance, at the very least they might be able to remove bugs and glitches like 2G.

Just found SCII for Xbox at CEX for 2.50! Gonna start relearning the game on stick in preparation for the bloodbath that's to come! :P

EDIT: Just playtested it on my 360 and it works perfectly! :D

Daishi Odashima has been replaced; Masaaki Hoshino is now the official series producer. Previously, he was a programmer on Soulcalibur II, lead programmer on Soulcalibur IV, and Technical Programming Director on Soulcalibur V.

His Twitter (@hoshino_calibur) is now the official Twitter for the Soulcalibur series, and he's been tweeting like a madman ever since the announcement.

The following has been confirmed:
    • It's being released digitally in the fall for Xbox 360 and Playstation 3.
    • It is based on the Playstation 2 version of the game, and will feature Heihachi Mishima from TEKKEN as the guest character (this is the natural choice for a cross-platform release, as he is the only one of the guest characters that is owned by Namco-Bandai).
    • Necrid will be playable, as he was in all three original versions.
    • All game modes from the original version, including Weapon Master, will be included.
    • In-game content is unlockable, as in the original.
    • As the name suggests, the game has been remastered in HD, and Online VS mode will be included.
    • PC and Wii U versions are still being 'considered', meaning that it may yet be possible for Link to make a return (but only the Wii U, obviously).
    Two significant differences that will have an impact on gameplay:
    1. Inferno will be playable
      Inferno uses a random character's style that changes every round, like Edgemaster or Charade. However, Inferno has access to a couple of unique moves that are usable with any style, like Elysium's Critical Edge in SCV.
    2. Inferno's stage will be selectable
      This is very significant, as it means that for the first time, an infinite stage will be selectable in SCII's VS Mode, with no walls or ring-outs (SCV is the only other game in the series to include this type of stage).

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

lads would a seperate soul cal 2 thread not be more appropriate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

To be fair to the soul calibur lads, this was originally rumoured as a "Super SF4" update to SCV, so the discussion about it up to this point was natural to occur here. Now that an old HD remake is confirmed, I agree with Doom that talking about it here is a bit weird.

Unless anyone wants to object that SCV itself is dead from a discussion standpoint, this could be title-changed to the "General Soul Calibur discussion thread" and be allowed to rock on.

You're probably right. Would you be able to move all of the posts from #335 onwards across to a new thread? Or should I just start a new one and go from there?

EDIT: Or what Prinny said also works.

EDIT: Chopper's already gone and done it.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056997826

• Advertisement

Obligatory heads-up:

Soulcalibur V is currently 5 euro on Xbox Live Deal of the Week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭popzmaster

I really really wish I had my 360 back. Probably not even in europe top 1000 at this stage :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭jimmypenguin

just bought.. havent played since 2

There's a good bit to learn - the mechanics were mostly the same right up to IV, and then they changed significantly in V.

Guard impact is no longer forward or back + Guard, and there's no high or low variant any more, or even the deflect variant. Instead, there's one universal command: back + A+B+K. It repels forward all attacks except throws and unblockables, but costs half a meter stock to execute.

There's also a guard gauge like in Soul Blade.The gauge gradually wears down as you block, and recovers over time. When it runs out, you won't lose your weapon like in Soul Blade, but your guard will be broken and you'll be open to a completely free counter-hit combo.

The other mechanical changes are literally imported from Street Fighter III: super combos (Critical Edges), EX moves (Brave Edge) and parries (Just Guard) - yes, there are SFIII parries in this game, and they are sick. They build meter and give a huge frame advantage, so you want to learn when to use these, and save guard impacts for getting an opponent off you when you're really being pressured.

Advertisement