Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Winter tyres just on the rear of FWD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,314 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i wouldnt have wanted that combination on the sheet ice i was on this morning got my fronts matched to the rears a few weeks ago (bridgestone weather control)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

hognef wrote: »
    I suspect that, in countries where winter tyres are a recognised concept, it is illegal to mix summer and winter tyres, due to their vastly different characteristics. I know for a fact this is true for Norway.

Controlling the car would become very unpredictable as the front tyres would have the (vastly) better grip in some situations and the rear tyres in other situations, e.g. depending on temperature, ice, snow and wet vs dry. I would definitely not use a mix myself.

In which metric would the mix with winter tyres at the back and summer at the front be worse than four summer tyres?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

grogi wrote: »
    In which metric would the mix with winter tyres at the back and summer at the front be worse than four summer tyres?

RWD or AWD...

You'd be able to accelerate easily but braking would be a struggle.

CiniO wrote: »
    RWD or AWD...

You'd be able to accelerate easily but braking would be a struggle.

I always forget about those 3% ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

In warm and dry weather, the winter tyres will likely perform significantly worse than the summer tyres.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

What a load of bull. That video was made and he was biased because he knew which tyres were where on the car so that means he may, even unconciously, have behaved different at the wheel because he knew what the expected handling "should" be.

By right neither the driver nor whoever was watching the test or looking at the results should have known what tyres were on the car at any stage. Flawed science.

It is all scaremongering to con soccer dads into spending big money on tyres.

Anyway, I've been driving for 15 years on spruious tyres, of dubious origin, often found or salvaged for free in scrap yards and i've never lost control or crahsed.

hognef wrote: »
    In warm and dry weather, the winter tyres will likely perform significantly worse than the summer tyres.

Are we speaking theoretically about June in Nevada?

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

Are we speaking theoretically about June in Nevada?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

What a load of bull. That video was made and he was biased because he knew which tyres were where on the car so that means he may, even unconciously, have behaved different at the wheel because he knew what the expected handling "should" be.

By right neither the driver nor whoever was watching the test or looking at the results should have known what tyres were on the car at any stage. Flawed science.

It is all scaremongering to con soccer dads into spending big money on tyres.

Anyway, I've been driving for 15 years on spruious tyres, of dubious origin, often found or salvaged for free in scrap yards and i've never lost control or crahsed.
    I was thinking the exact same think. Unless your an idiot and pushing your car to the limit all day everyday nobody would feel the difference in 99% of situations.
    Ive used good tyres bad tyres new tyres part warn and the only time I've noticed a drop in performance was when the tyres were beyond the wear indicators.
    I've also drove on proper slicks and rain tyres in Motorsport so I know a bit about them and how they should feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 OPollo

iamtony wrote: »
    I was thinking the exact same think. Unless your an idiot and pushing your car to the limit all day everyday nobody would feel the difference in 99% of situations.
    Ive used good tyres bad tyres new tyres part warn and the only time I've noticed a drop in performance was when the tyres were beyond the wear indicators.
    I've also drove on proper slicks and rain tyres in Motorsport so I know a bit about them and how they should feel.
    Unless you drive in a city only and daily...
    Wait till u see some icy and snowy conditions and if you dont change your mind, i dont want to drive in front of you ;)

Now back to your local experience, dem seems like you had NONE, again, you didnt mention anything about your driving habits and hazards surrounding you.

Millions of people felt into a tyre scam you saying :D

Well ... just relax :)

• Advertisement

OPollo wrote: »
    Unless you drive in a city only and daily...
    Wait till u see some icy and snowy conditions and if you dont change your mind, i dont want to drive in front of you ;)

Now back to your local experience, dem seems like you had NONE, again, you didnt mention anything about your driving habits and hazards surrounding you.

Millions of people felt into a tyre scam you saying :D

Well ... just relax :)
    What I'm saying is if you drive correctly to suit the road conditions and slow enough to stop if you hit ice and leave enough distance from hazards on the rare occasion in Ireland when this actually is a factor, then you should be grand on all season tyres.
    People will bit these tyres and then justify the the purchase by saying if I didn't have these winter tyres I wouldn't of been able to stop their bit that bull because you probably would have and the only way to know would be a back to back test.
    I've had my car spin on roundabouts in I've, I've also slid off the road into a bank on black ice. I've been in a car crash in the snow and these were all lessons learned and now I drive with caution rather than relying on a tyre which might make the grip slightly better or worse but isn't really going to save you. Winter tyres mostly grip better in the cold, below 7 degrees I think bit when your talking snow and black ice do you really think they make a difference? A bit of a better thread pattern that just gets blocked in snow in seconds?

What I'm saying is if you drive correctly to suit the road conditions and slow enough to stop if you hit ice and leave enough distance from hazards on the rare occasion in Ireland when this actually is a factor, then you should be grand on all season tyres.

Please don't bring the term 'All-Season Tyre' to this discussion if you don't understand it fully

In Europe tyres marked as All-Season are more than adequate for winter conditions. Have a look at the AutoBild test. http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2019-Auto-Bild-SUV-All-Season-Tyre-Test.htm

In dry and wet conditions, the premium summer tyre is marginally better than all-seasons and winter tyres. The gap will be wider in performance applications, but in everyday driving there will be hardly any difference. In snow however, the winter tyre and quality all-season tyres are very close, but summer tyre is miles behind. In typical usage of mummy wagon in our climate it makes more sense to drive year long on winter tyres than summer ones...

In US market the All-season means something different. I honestly doin't know what the difference between Americal All-Season and Summer is.

Please don't bring the term 'All-Season Tyre' to this discussion if you don't understand it fully

In Europe tyres marked as All-Season are more than adequate for winter conditions. Have a look at the AutoBild test. http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2019-Auto-Bild-SUV-All-Season-Tyre-Test.htm

In dry and wet conditions, the premium summer tyre is marginally better than all-seasons and winter tyres. The gap will be wider in performance applications, but in everyday driving there will be hardly any difference. In snow however, the winter tyre and quality all-season tyres are still very close.

In US market the All-season means something different. I honestly doin't know what the difference between Americal All-Season and Summer is.
    Ok I meant the normal tyres we get sold in Ireland everyday of the week, which used to be referred to as all season tyres anyway maybe now they call them summer tyres I dunno and it's besides my point.
    The test proves what I was saying that on snow or ice you wouldn't notice the difference unless back to back testing or rally driving or something.
    And for the original question op I've had winter tyres on one axle and I never got oversteer or understeer because I would never push a tyre to these limits as most people wouldnt, if your car is going to under or oversteer on ice or snow there's very little the tyres are going to do for you at that stage.

Ok I meant the normal tyres we get sold in Ireland everyday of the week, which used to be referred to as all season tyres anyway maybe now they call them summer tyres I dunno and it's besides my point.
    The test proves what I was saying that on snow or ice you wouldn't notice the difference unless back to back testing or rally driving or something.
    And for the original question op I've had winter tyres on one axle and I never got oversteer or understeer because I would never push a tyre to these limits as most people wouldnt, if your car is going to under or oversteer on ice or snow there's very little the tyres are going to do for you at that stage.

You clearly haven't driven on snow on adequate tyres. The difference is substantial, and the results show it. The braking distance is halved on winter or all season tyres compared to summer tyres.

You clearly haven't driven on snow on adequate tyres. The difference is substantial.

Well yeah I have, well not snow tyres. I used to get part won't winter tyres on my old car and drove in snow with them. How would you know the difference with the winter tyres that particular day without back to back testing. It's mostly in the head. Like I said people who pay for them will justify their purchase to themselves without really knowing if the normal tyre would of got them up that hill or stopped or whatever it's impossible to know. And the results are based on extremes so not really applicable to everyday situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭EagerBeaverton

FWIW the insurance company have no issue with the current setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 OPollo

Im very sorry to tell you that now but what a uber tons of BOLLIX here you typing.
    No needs to mislead people if YOU have no experience ?

Overall i highly recommend you to go through their videos to get an adequate understanding of tyres overall. Not everyone is living in a salty big city where you never facing even ice ...
    https://youtu.be/A5aMnmekA38

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Winter tyres mostly grip better in the cold, below 7 degrees I think bit when your talking snow and black ice do you really think they make a difference? A bit of a better thread pattern that just gets blocked in snow in seconds?

This is pure nonsense what you're saying here, and pretty much proves you've never driven on snow on proper winter tyres.
    As I said the same bend I would be happy to negotiate at 70km/h on good winter tyres, and would be afraid to go through at 20km/h on summer tyres as very likely that would end up in the ditch.
    Difference is huge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

It's mostly in the head. ]

It is. Car people like to be messing with cars. Not changing to winter tyres leaves them liable to be mistaken for non car people, and without something to worry about,or discuss as motoring aficionados.
    How much snow do we get in Ireland? How many days are we driving in rain, when summer tyres are better than winter ones?
    Winter tyres? Finland, Canada, Iceland, etc.

This is pure nonsense what you're saying here, and pretty much proves you've never driven on snow on proper winter tyres.
    As I said the same bend I would be happy to negotiate at 70km/h on good winter tyres, and would be afraid to go through at 20km/h on summer tyres as very likely that would end up in the ditch.
    Difference is huge.

Taking a bend at 70kph on snow. What are you at. ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

3. Winter tyres used in summer will provide inferior grip.
    Myth.

It depends on the car and tyre, i've driven on winter tyres right through summer with no issues on one brand/car but on a different brand and car the grip in summer was dangerously poor.

Have you ever used winter tyres on snow ? On a quattro car with good winter tyres i could drive as if conditions were normal 70/80% of the time. I remember in 2010 when it didn't get above freezing for weeks doing 120kmh on the compacted snow covered outside lane of the M7 no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

tossy wrote: »
    It depends on the car and tyre, i've driven on winter tyres right through summer with no issues on one brand/car but on a different brand and car the grip in summer was dangerously poor.

Have you ever used winter tyres on snow ? On a quattro car with good winter tyres i could drive as if conditions were normal 70/80% of the time. I remember in 2010 when it didn't get above freezing for weeks doing 120kmh on the compacted snow covered outside lane of the M7 no bother.
    TROL only uses the cheapest Chinese winter tyres. They are all the same anyway...

Not your ornery onager

tossy wrote: »
    I remember in 2010 when it didn't get above freezing for weeks doing 120kmh on the compacted snow covered outside lane of the M7 no bother.

And you thought that you were safe? I'd say it was sheer luck you managed to stay on the road.

That is one problem with winter tyres - it gives car enthusiasts this false sense of security and invincibility and they go out at 120 on a snow covered motorway and end up killing someone. Disgraceful reckless behaviour.

Did you ever think that other people might be on the road going slower and you'd be in danger of rear ending them at high speed?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Did you ever think that other people might be on the road going slower and you'd be in danger of rear ending them at high speed?

That is indeed a problem - all the folks who don't believe in winter tyres who think you just have to drive within the tyres limits e.g. at 20 km/hr along a motorway. Idiots.

Unimaginable, right?! But it's true...
    That is one problem with winter tyres - it gives car enthusiasts this false sense of security and invincibility and they go out at 120 on a snow covered motorway and end up killing someone. Disgraceful reckless behaviour.

They objectively provide superior grip on snow, many times better than summer tyres. By what logic you say that something is a problem because it objectively is better?!

What's more, summer tyre is better only in dry conditions - braking and handling. In wet conditions not necessarily - in Ireland we should be rather driving on winter tyres all year long than on summer tyres...

They objectively provide superior grip on snow, many times better than summer tyres. By what logic you say that something is a problem because it objectively is better?!

The lack of snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

When you have someone on your ignore list but someone else quotes their post....

e5504cd383f031916ad11bdcada484a1.jpg

Winter tyres are more expensive and they don't last as long. 95% of Irish drivers will go for the longer lasting tyre and the cheapest possible. That is the main reason why winter tyres will never take off here. We haven't the interest in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭djan

What's more, summer tyre is better only in dry conditions - braking and handling. In wet conditions not necessarily - in Ireland we should be rather driving on winter tyres all year long than on summer tyres...

That is not true at all. Contrary to the name, summer tyres offer better grip in the wet than winter tyres as long as it's above 0°C. Winter tyre's advantage is in grip in cold ice/snow/slush in low temperatures as they are still able to remain soft and offer traction. Summers will go rock hard in such conditions and offer near to zero grip regardless of FWD, RWD or AWD. Given Ireland's average temperatures, it could be beneficial to change over to winters for a few months but not all year long!

I really wonder why these things are still being discussed on boards regularly. The information is out there from various independent tests across nations worldwide.

• Advertisement

because it involves spending money on a consumable car part and it breaks most irish people's hearts to have to spend money on consumables.

Advertisement