Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Training Plan for first season racing

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭ratracer

Slo_Rida wrote: »
    I raced the Lucan GP last weekend. I was flying and feeling very strong with 3km to go. Crashed with the others and broke my nose and thumb.
    Great race and was delighted with how I felt pre crash so that was progress.
    I've been getting a turbo session or 2 done between each race too which is good.
    I got the cast off my hand Thursday morning and went out on the bike that evening to test the hand. It was sore but bearable so I'm gonna do Ros an Laois Sunday. Should be good aul craic! I'll try update this thing more in the next few weeks...

Glad to heer the racing is going well Slo and that the injuries from the crash weren't too bad. Any damage to the bike? Reading the you're training blogs from earlier in the year and now the race reports has me already saying next year i'm going racing...

Keep it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Slo_Rida

ratracer wrote: »
    Glad to heer the racing is going well Slo and that the injuries from the crash weren't too bad. Any damage to the bike? Reading the you're training blogs from earlier in the year and now the race reports has me already saying next year i'm going racing...

Keep it up

Bike was fine TG, just twisted the brake levers so just turned them back and it was fine.
    Well I had an ok winter training. I have a young fella so I can't be out training all weekend but I have just enough done to take part really. Maybe next year I'll be a bit stronger and so the same amount of training should have me a bit fitter. The racing is good craic though, highly reccommended!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Opera_Leonardo

I havn't had as much free time lately so I havn't been logging in as much here but just wanted to let you know I'm still following your thread.

Sorry to hear about your crash Slo. Glad to hear your back on the bike. It does seem to be a rather addictive sport, the more you do the more you want to do. Did you get your team sorted for the TT?

I havn't had as much free time lately so I havn't been logging in as much here but just wanted to let you know I'm still following your thread.

Sorry to hear about your crash Slo. Glad to hear your back on the bike. It does seem to be a rather addictive sport, the more you do the more you want to do. Did you get your team sorted for the TT?

How's the racing going for you?
    Re the TTT I think there are plenty of lads from the club interested though I don't have names yet.

I have done two races so far but I had a knee injury back then so didn't get much training done for them. I just couldn't stick the pace. Getting a bit of training in now the injury has cleared up. Got 250 "good" miles in last week, happy days. I was able to put in a good shift and was strong enough to lead and push on for the last few miles on the 50 mile club run yesterday (Sun) and finish in the first group of seven or so home. So its nice to see some progress.

Are you back to 100% yourself?

Ros an Laois

So I did Ros an Laois. It was mainly to make sure I was comfortable on the bike post crash and it turned out I was ok-ish. I never went to the front and spent most of the race at the back of the bunch steering clear of trouble. I had no problem staying with the winning bunch and did so until we got back to the village. There was no way I was getting involved in a srint up a narrow street and I sat up as we approached. My decision was justified too as there was a nasty smash during the gallop, it is well documented here on boards.
    At least I was able to complete the race pretty easily while most of the pack were shelled out on that little drag in the middle of the lap. So it's all good!

Oh and all I've done since Ros an Laois is a few training spins and 2 league races.
    Week 1 of the league wasn't great as I was very tired going into it so I did minimal work and just finished with the group.
    Week 2 was much better, I was able to work and finished strong.

From now on I think I'll just give a quick report on races I enter. There's not a lot of "training" going on now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

Whats the latest with u slo ?

the Frank o rourke

http://www.wexfordwheelers.com/index.php/2013/05/pics/

Bless me father it's been 4 months since my last confession.
    Quick summary of Slo_Rida's first race season:
    Lot's of races, not a lot of training in between them, 2 crashes, 2 nearly good finishes, one good finish.
    I only hit form after I did the Wexford Wheelers 2 Day. I put in a good TT there.
    The league races then started becoming easier so I was able to attack more and this brought me on more.
    Then yesterday, my last race of the year, I did Ras Kilmallock. I tried a couple of proper attaks on Lap 1 but nothing was happening so sat in til the end. With 500 to go I went for the sprint and held out almost all the way. I ended up getting 5th place so I'm fairly pleased to have scored.
    I just wish I had time for another race but family matters mean I'm hanging up the bike for this season. Although if there's a sneaky one-day on somewhere next weekend I might risk divorce and do it, ssshhhhhhh.

I must look back at my goals now and see which ones I achieved and which ones I didn't.
    Slo

• Advertisement

Goals:
    1 - Compete consistently in club league
    1b - Win a club league race
    2 - Be competitive in more than 2 A4 races
    2b - Score a point in an A4 race
    5 - Complete Charleville 2 day and make some kind of mark eg initiate/join a break or attempt some kind of sprint finish or try for a kom type thing or something similar.

1 - Check
    1b - No, but everyones a winner in the game of life :D
    2 - Check
    2b- Check
    5 - Family matters ruled this one out but I did the Wexford 2 day instead and put in a semi decent hill TT so that was good enough! We'll say Check!

Fair play Slo. You may need to revise your name next yr to not so Slo. I didn't get logged in during the summer but your thread has inspired/motivated me during the season. I didn't set any goals really. I just wanted to compete & not make a show of myself in the Donegal 3 day. It took me a few races to get up to speed.

Results for inter club league went ok 2nd, 3rd (should have won both), 4th, two 8th's. Managed a win in local triathlon, I done the cycle another lad done the run. Got a 2nd and a 3rd in open races. A few other races I went in breaks and busted myself so didn't have anything left for the finish.

Really enjoyed the experience (well now anyway) and being able to compete with the lads that have been at it for years. Just had a week off after the season but much the same as yourself really want another run out. An hour on the trainer last night has whet my appetite!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭casion3

Are you doing a diary for 2014, I enjoyed 2013 exploits

casion3 wrote: »
    Are you doing a diary for 2014, I enjoyed 2013 exploits

No, I've become too much of a cycling snob now!
    I'm WAAAAAAAAAY to good for a training diary!

As an update:
    The winter went mediocre. We had another baby in September so every session is done with the kiddies in mind. This meant a lot of bed time turbo sessions and a some 5am road sessions. I probably average about 4 hours per week which is paltry but it was all I could do.
    It was enough to get me 4th place in Carrick so add that 5 points to the 4 I got in Killmallock in the last race of last year and I'm up to 9 points. If I'm not careful I'll be up in A3 getting dizzy from all the beatings!

I am going to try Fermoy and Visit Nenagh Classic in the next 2 weeks and since I like both circuits I hope to get something out of them. If not no worries though because I'm really enjoying racing now since I'm that bit fitter.

I'm not doling out advice here but one thing that really worked for me was spend a lot of time deciding your goals, make them realisitc and challenging and then bang, don't let anything stop you. Last year my aim was to score one point - i got 4 in the last race. This year my aim is get promoted in the front end of the season, get comfortable in an A3 bunch and be close to the business end of on A3 race before end of season. Modest but challenging.

I go to work at 8am and am back around 6pm, I have 2 kids under 2 and a fairly understanding OH. This means improving my racing is a challenge but doable. The problem for me is that racing is addictive and I don't say that lightly - I can't get enough of it, it's like heroine on carbon!

Slo

Advertisement