Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Road to the Raid

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

blorg wrote: »
    Well done on remaining the same weight, I think that is goal enough achieved for the week.

I am sick now myself and off the bike so getting a bit skittish... no cycling this weekend I reckon, hope to be better early next week.

Get well. Use it as a natural break.

86km
    4hours
    1430m of ascent.

Was going to do hill repeats of the Healy Pass today, but instead I decided to do about 4 hours taking in priests leap from the Cork side - hadnt tackled this side previously.

Anyway, lovely day and was overdressed. Also wore 3/4 length shorts that are now a size too big. This made for an uncomfortable trip as the chamois kept shifting and chaffing. Sore. Not looking forward to how it will be tomorrow.
    Rule with bike shorts - too small is better than too large.

Anyway took in the Borlin valley and the horrible descent down to Coomholla Bridge (on road between Bantry and Glengariff). It is a 14km descent on sh1te roads. My wrists were in peices by the end. The roads in Cork and Kerry are significantly inferior to those in Wicklow and Kildare. Heavier, if you know what I mean. Descending and the flat take a lot more out of you than the smoother orads around Dublin.

Anyway, started the climb up Priest Leap (6km, gaining 465m). The climb from the Cork side is a series of steps. 0%-8% flat parts punctuated by the climbing sections (10%-22%). This is ridiculously tough. I had to dismount twice. First was to allow a farmer and sheep and dogs get by. I was annoyed as I had climbed up an 18% section for about 0.5km. Was knackered, but there was a flat bit that I would have recovered on.
    Second time was due to exhaustion, pain and an inability to hold the bike upright at 4KM/H. It was dismount or fall.
    I hate this climb. Its beyond my capabilities to do it comfortably.
    Mullaghanish is 'easier' in that it is mostly at 12-15% without the crazy accelerations in gradient. It is this that is the kick in the breadbasket.
    At the top I paused for 5 or 6 minutes to compose myself, have a drink/pee, and eat a Clif Bar.
    The descent to Bonane in kerry is worse. Gravel, grass and **** cover a road that is about 4 foot wide (where there is a road). Just hate it. This cant be good training.

Anyway got to Bonane and decided to do two loops of the Caha Pass tunnels (5km at 5%). Now this is my type of climb. 39/21 spinning away contentedly.

Lovely day, no wind. I wont be doing the Leap again. Not good at all. Demoralising and some day I can see either my chain breaking or me just getting a heart attack there.

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/25621

If the climbs in the Pyrenees are like the Caha pass but 3-4 times longer then I will relish the challenge.
    If they are like Shay Elliott/Slieve Maan but 3-4 times longer it will be very tough for me but it will be character building and rewarding.
    If they are like Priest Leap but 3 times longer, I will not be doing it and wouldnt be capable mentally or physically of doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭velopeloton

I don't know Priest's Leap but it sounds like some of the climbs here but not the ones on the Raid. Of the cols you mention, the Caha & Healy Pass I know and they are very easy in comparison to what is on the Raid. The Col de Puymorens in not unlike the Caha Pass but is 5 times as long. The climb to the Shay Elliot memorial as used in the race from Glenmalure, is the nearest thing in Ireland to a Pyrenees climb, except it is 3km long whereas the climbs in the raid are between 12km and 19km, so there is nothing in Ireland that can prepare you for them.

Just keep doing what you are doing, getting lots of km in, long hard flat rides may even be better than climbing as you will have days of between 6 & 10 hours of riding.

You are right finishing the Raid is character building and rewarding.
    Keep up the good work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

It sounds like you're doing all your climbing at very high intensity. That's great training for building strength and VO2 and everything, but a key skill to getting yourself up anything as long as they have on the raid is pacing. The reason to do all this climbing at in the orange (or red) zone is so you can still keep moving once you take the exertion down to yellow. To get up a big climb you have to stay in the yellow or below.

You're training for a marathon by running fast miles individually and, at the end of a hellish sprinted gasping mile, telling yourself "there's no way I could do 26 of those". But that's not what running a marathon is, and it's not what a 20km climb is either.

Pace a climb. Maybe not on the priest's leap, but something long enough and just set a tempo - it might feel stupidly slow and easy (it should) but you have to envision yourself maintaining this power for about 2 hours. Now over here you'll run out of hill before you get anywhere near 2 hours, but you'll see how all that hard climbing you've done has given you the ability to keep some momentum while just chasing the pedals around. Let the pain come to you, don't go chasing it.

I've never climbed in the Pyrenees, but from what I know they are climbs that come and go so the ability to recover on the <10% bits is absolutely necessary in order to get through the >15% bits. When it levels off, recover, don't attempt to use it as an opportunity to up the pace/gearing. That might apply to the leap as well as any other I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,137 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Chase the pain, chase the pain! It's training, not practice :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

The road surfaces on the Raid are much better than here and that does make a big difference. Generally it is just long long long climbs. But there are a few steep ones.

The really steep bits are on the Marie Blanque and the Portet d'Aspet. The latter, I remember being relieved when the gradient dropped down to only 12%! Much of it, you are around 18-20. But with a great road surface. If you have the gearing (and if you are bringing a triple you do) it's just a matter of spinning up at a relaxed enough pace.

Thanks folks.

@Tom. It has been a goal to climb in the yellow. I tend not to worry that I am so slow on Cruagh for example in that I can do the 6Km at a level where I am very comfy and feel reasonably fresh at the top. I don't actually plan o. Changing that strategy.
    As for training in the flat I think I will aim for two long flattish cycles next weekend and try to stay in a certain effort zone.
    Also will have a flat 210k cycle in two weeks.

I was actually thinking on the leap today that I would have been better off with a different route or an alternative set of climbs.
    Its just that every few weeks I like to push myself.

BTW. I got a free sachet of zipvit powder to mix with drinks so I used it on today cycle.
    Vile. Way too bitter. Found it difficult not to gag while drinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 ditch hurler

good luck with the raid. its on my list of 'to do' things for the future. was hoping to have a crack at it this year but after sitting down with a pen and paper, to write down a plan to my 2010 cycling goals in october 2009, it became apparent quick enough that the wicklow 200 would be a more manageable goal for me this year. believe that day 3 of the raid is the toughest one. its about 3500m of climbing in 120 - 130km. Thats the same climbing as your average wicklow 200 in 120km. anyways the blog is a good read, and i am almost tempted to get the bike now.

Had a plan to do 2 back to back 100km+ rides.

Today. Train to Limerick Junction at 7am. Planned on 130km Limerick Junction to Killarney. Pick up car and drive home.
    Plan didnt quiet pan on like that. No breakfast as I was going to get porridge toast and coffee on the train. Dining car not open due to Good Friday, (I love the fact that Irish Rail has imposed a penitent fast upon me). Picked up an egg salad sandwich off the trolley car. That would have to be breakfast).

Got off at the Junction and hit the road for Tipp town and then onto Killmallock, Charleville, Freemount etc).
    First 50km went great, avg pace around 27km despite not really pushing it. Was drinking regularly and eating Clif Shot Bloks). Sometime after Charlevill I started to feel bad, very bad and sick. Stopped at a cross roads where I promptly vommitted up my breakfast (egg salad) and a few shot bloks. Nice!!!!

After a few minutes and some water got back on the bike. I was freezing cold and shivering badly. Tried to put head down and just crank out the miles spinning an easy gear. Had zero strength. Made it to some town (Freemount or Newmarket). Took water and a plain bagel to hopefully settle the stomach. By now I was in a bad way. I couldnt get my HR up and was so so cold, even though the sun was shining and there was n wind.

Phoned the wife. Asked her to collect me 40km away in Rathmore. I figured that in the time it would take her to get there that thats as far as I would make it.
    Made it in at 2.30pm, about an hour behind when I should have made it according to my original schedule.

I didnt have the energy to make it the last 20km to my car in Killarney and was in no state to drive home to Kenmare.

Half an hour in the shower to warm up. Water. Still cold but feel better.

Not a happy Easter egg experience. The sandwich was more than likely bad. Strange thing is that ordinarily I would be a big fan of egg salad. Doubt I could look at another one for while.

Still 260km this week. No training at the weekend as I hope to bring my daughter to Mols Gap to see the finish of Ras Mumhan tomorrow.

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/27237
    http://ridewithgps.com/trips/27238

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

Oh! Bad luck with the eggy vomit, hope you feel well soon. Hope to make it to Molls Gap for the finish, just watched the finish of todays stage, immediately my young fella announces that he's got to go, NOW, so don't know who got the win!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

The climbs in the Pyrenees are long, but they're easier than the steeper Irish ones - good road surface, generally not much traffic. Marie Blanche is bit of a pig, but a lot of the rest aren't like the Tour de France alpine cols, but shorter. I love the pyrenees, we had a lovely week doing them, and if you have the option, I'd say spend seven days on the bike, rather than rushing them in 4-5 days. Incidentally, we did an optional col called Col d'Husky (or something very like that), which is a great great option - it's in the first couple of days, assuming you're going Atlantic to Med.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/25621 That loop you did on the 27th is one beaut of a ride, dont worry about the leap though, it has to be one of the hardest around so not sure it'll ever be easy, however by the end of the summer I reckon you'll nail it with a smile.
    Sorry to read about your breakfast repeat cycle, that really is a ball breaker:o

If you want to stay away from the leap give Barley lake a go, its still a very hard climb with sections almost vertical but I highly recommend it. Its only a small change to the tunnel route you use but will certainly test your legs. Here is a rough idea, there is also a road that will take you from just below the tunnels too but I have never been on it.
    http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/ireland/-west-cork/690124942527376717

Another alternative is the road up Mount Gabriel to the aviation radar station. It's shorter than the others but the road is as smooth as an airport runway, no traffic as it's a cul de sac, THE best views of West Cork and is a good challenging climb esp if you throw a few other climbs outside bantry into the mix on your way there.
    http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/ireland/bantry/428124948292280550

I hope this is of use to you, keep up the hard work you are doing really well!!

In the past month I have taken in two back to back trips of a total of 225km.
    May not sound like much but it is all that schedule allows for.

First trip was 150km with 1800m of climbing followed by a flat 70km spin.

Second was two flat 110km spins.

I actually found the two flat spins tougher despite being no climber. One is that I got sick on one spin and got very cold and dehydrated very quickly. However legs were very tired the morning after.
    On the hilly long spin I guess that despite killing myself on the climbs I tend to recover quickly andenjoy the respite of descents. Thus going out for a second day wasn't that taxing at all. On flat spins there is for me more or less a constant effort which isgood. But there is no recovery so to speak.

I haven't seen any hills in over two weeks. Hopefully get some climbing in tonite and tomorrow. Badly needed.
    Feel that training was going well but now a bit erratic. However I am doing weekly distance of about 40% of what I plan for my goals in August and September.

I will have a few multidays hopefully completed by end June (1*4 days and a few 2 dayers). I reckon that should get me closer to where I want to be.
    Glad Easter is over and the eggs of all types are now gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

Find the same comparing wicklow to midland spins......even the longest hill takes around 15mins to climb followed by a desent which allows a long reprieve. Theres a lot to be said for the flat midland spins where you can put the power done consistently for 20+mins....may in fact be better training for the alpine/pyrennean ascents

With 3 and 1/2 weeks left to my first trip to real mountains I have had an epiphany of sorts.
    It will be hell but hopefully enjoyable and rewarding at the end. After the Cruagh hill TT on Tuesday I am forced to admit that climbing for me will be a very slow affair. That doesn't bother me as long as I am not slowing anyone down.
    I know what it takes foe me to climb 6 to 7km between 4 and 8%. I can only assume that it is 50% tougher at least to go 10km and ditto for 14km.
    At 88 to 89kg I am about 5kg away from where I want to be in four weeks. I won't shift that weight in that time.

This weekend my wife and I will celebrate our anniversary. She has booked us into a nice hotel. There will be nice food and wine. Spa treatmts and massage. Drink. Dinner with friends. Weight will not be lost.
    Non cyclists call this "having fun".
    I am looking forward to this. I honestly don't care if I put on a few pounds. I honestly believe that a few pounds on my weight will make little difference in climbing the Pyrenees in a few weeks.

I have learned so much about how I climb and what is a good approach for me. That and willpower will have to suffice for now.

I am hopeful of 4hours on the bike in the morning. But that depends on kids and wife.
    This week had seen some reasonable time on the bike.
    Tuesday - 70km with 950m of climbing. Felt great after it despite not being in the hills in a few weeks.
    Wednesday - 62km flat spin. Spent most of the time fighting a westerly headwind which was good fun. Got some consistent work done at a decent HR. Avg speed of 26km but median around 30km.

Plan tomorrow is to do one of two spins. Both 110km with 5 climbs and 1400m of climbing.
    After that roll on the wine and foie gras.

How dare you have "fun" :mad: there's serious training to be done and pounds to be shed!

You will be "enjoying" your spa and massage over the best weekend weatherwise of the year so far...are you a serious cyclist or what:confused:

On the other hand, best wishes on your anniversary, have a great time.

If you don't have one already, the single biggest thing you can do to help yourself at this (or any stage) is fit a triple chainring to your bike. Really. If you can't, SERIOUSLY consider a new bike, or at least fitting new chainrings to give you the widest (esp easiest) gearing you can. Really.

ROK ON wrote: »
    After that roll on the wine and foie gras.

Very appropriate. Those geese know a thing or two about endurance training - it's all about the liver.

Have you considered force feeding yourself vitamin-enriched grain mash?

Lumen wrote: »
    Have you considered force feeding yourself vitamin-enriched grain mash?

Yes I have. Had a lovely starter of rabbit stuffed with foie gras on some grain and seed encrusted brioche. Lovely.

Anyway, reviewtime.
    This week 270km.
    Great spin today. Left hotel in Cork at 8.10am. Cycled out Western Road to Dripsey, Coachford, Macroom. Then went on to Inchigeela, Ballingarry, Pass of Keiminagh, Balliclickey, Glkengariff and Kenmare.
    Was 125km. Set myself a 5hour limit. Mad it in slightly over 4hr30m. Coming over the only real climb at the 100km mark I felt I could do sub 4h30m, however I hit a hard wind coming off the Caha Pass tunnels.

I have never before cycled through West Cork. Now I know thatthe day was perfect for cycling, however the rooad from Cork city to Macroom via Coachford is excellent and very picturesque as you pass the Lee Valley and lots of farmland. Then when I took the west Cork route toward Gougane Barra I ended up cycling in some of the most beautiful scenery imagainable. I would recommend anyone to do this route. It is pretty easy, as the road surface is excellent and there aint any real climbs. But it was so picturesque. As a Limerickman living in Kerry it pains me to say it, but Cork is actually a pretty nice county.

Anyway. Weight was gained over the weekend. Not a surprise, but will try to shift it.

Cork: Kenmare - http://ridewithgps.com/trips/29932
    Cruagh Hill TT spin - http://ridewithgps.com/trips/29934

Hopefully this week get more of the same, but two hilly spins on Tuesday and Wednesday and maybe a 5-6hour spin next weekend if lucky.

Hi.

Looking for a small piece of advice.

In 2 weeks time I will be heading to the Pyrenees (with www.onyourbike.ie) for 4 days cycling up and town some mountains.
    Itinerary is 4 days of a max 100km/day with what looks to be about 3500m of climbing per day.
    My plan is to do the shorter routes maybe 60km and 2000plus meters per day.
    I want this to be useful zo I want to be fresh heading there but not tired or stale.

Normally I try the following weekly program.
    Tues and Wed 2,5hours each night
    Sat 3,5 - 5 hours.

Last night I noticed that I had no energy at all. Maybe due to tiredness from not sleeping the night before, maybe iit was due to being freezing cold. Maybe I didn't eat enough yesterday.
    But maybe I am overtraining. I was fine climbing but found it difficult to turn pedals on the flat.

So question is what sort of cycling would people advise that I do in next two weeks so that I get to the Pyrenees in the best shape possible.
    Was thinking of cutting back to 1midweek from 2 and still heading out at weekend.

Suggestions accepted. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

My advice... for what its worth. Taper for the next two weeks, maintain frequency but reduce duration. Lots of easy flat stuff, with an odd sharpener thrown in.

Overtrained is not the same as under-recovered. See here.

Chill out, get lots of sleep, and whatever you do don't get ill!

I'd consider dropping the volume but maintaining some intensity (this is standard advice I think).

Thanks guys.
    Not sure I am overtrained, but a combo of lack of sleep/long day in work and absolutely freezing cold.
    Good nights sleep last night and feel much better today.

I will try to maintain intensity but drop volume for nexttwo weeks.
    Plan -
    Tomorrow - leisurely 90min spin in mornings
    Sunday - 80km with many hills or 130km flat cycle on the coast

Tues: 3 Rock*2 and Cruagh
    Wed - casual spin/short one

Next Weekend - Mullaghanish Climb (7km at 7.5%, last 3km at 11% - in order to get mentally prep'd for Tourmalet, Aspin etc). But possibly as part of a 50km spin or something short.

Then taper with a few spins just to keep legs spinning maybe 3 rock but not hard pace.

4 spins and some commutes in past week for a total 286km.

98km today with 1350m of ascent. Lovely still day, but temperature a tad cold. Happy that I managed a short spin in fine weather on Friday morning after dropping my daughter to school.

Feeling ok. A little apprehensive about Pyrneees in two weeks. More painful than fun I reckon, but hopefully it will be good training and that I will learn a lot. I reckon that I will be heading there overfed and underprepared, but c'est la vie.

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/32190

A good ride at a nice pace, well done. I guess the road surface there is as bad as here, I endured 3 1/2 hours feeling like I was sitting on a jack hammer, I hope the trip in the Pyrenees is smooth, which must be worth a few mph on the average.

My OH bought me a bar which I now love! "Oats, bran flakes, raisins, crispies and honey in a bed of milk chocolate":D You can keep the Clif bars

You look to be climbing steady and comfortable so you'll be fine in the mountains.

Evening spin. 50km with ascents of Barnaculla and two ascents of Three Rock from the tougher side.

I planned on also doing Cruagh but fixing a puncture cost me a lot of time.

I took 4mins off my best time on three rock. I couldn't believe it. I manager this while maintaining a relatively low HR with a max HR of 177 on the climb.
    In November I removed the 27 cassette from the triple on my Dolan. I have since trained on a lowest gear of 30/25.
    On my Dublin bike (Orbea) I have a compact with a 34/37 easiest gear. However the rear derailleur is banjaxed and won't shift beyond the 24.

Used the Dolan tonite and it was the first time I went up 3 Rock on a 30/27. Christ the difference was huge.
    I was never in trouble and on the 15% section leading up to the forest and the 10%section from the last gate to the top I was able to spin away happily.
    Just imagine how much easier it would be if I had also lost more weight :-)

Heading to France next week I go with renewed confidence. I am under no illusions as to the difficulty but at least I will have the appropriate gearing. What took me be surprised was that my cadence pushing 30/27 on steep parts over compensated for the fact that the gear is a slower gear than 34/24, this helped in keeping my HR lower.

Only bummer was puncturing at 55kmph on the descent. Not nice. Took an age to fix and used two different tubes.

Excellent - well done! The right bike certainly does help.

WRT punctures, in case you're not familiar with them (unlikely, but still), a great standby is Park Tools Super Patches (box of 6, about 3 euro from CRC) - removes a lot of the messing about when you've run out of spare tubes and you actually have to fix a puncture. Another great thing (but no doubt you know this too) is the SRAM superlinks for fixing broken chains. Again tiny and cheap and well worth having.

Finally, the only real hassle we had in the P'ees was a broken spoke on the cassette side on a back wheel. It took us a couple of days to find a cassette remover... you might consider bringing one, if you're paranoid. Alternatively, do like we did, and ask every cyclist you meet...someone'll have one!

Hope the volcano lets you out

Wanted to get a 5hour ride with a lot of climbing in this w/e. That has not proven to be possible due to family committments - which is fair given that I will be away next w/e and wont see the kids and missus for two weeks.
    Instead I decided to do 3*90mins spins on Fri, Sat and Sunday.
    Two days in and two spins down.
    Feeling reasonably good. Even enjoyed cycling in the rain today and wind today, as still reasonably warm.
    Planning on 2 or 3 ascents of Three Rock on Tuesday and then heading to Pyrenees on Friday for 4 days of cycling pain. Should be fun.
    Cant wait.

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/34145

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Best of luck, full report when you get back! :)

• Advertisement

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Best of luck, full report when you get back! :)

Dont worry, I will no doubt bore the arse off ye with it.
    In a way, I am really looking forward to the climbs and the scenery.
    I have mapped each climb out in three blocks of distance and gradient. Simply going to look as one climb as actually three climbs. Mental preparation can often help overcome or lessen physical deficiencies.
    I know I can climb 7km no problem, so thre 7kms is not that much of a deal, then descend for 20 odd km and do 3 more 5-7km climbs.
    Easy;)

Heading to Pyrenees cycling tomorrow.

Checked weather forecast.

Heavy rain and thunder with snow at higher levels.
    Temperature: -2 to +6 degrees.

Bags packed. All winter gear in Kerry.
    I packed shorts, jerseys, arm and knee warmers and a gilet.

I need merino winter socks, fleece lined tights, LS baselayer and jersey, assos airjack winter jacket and warm gloves.

I hate cycling. This is a farce. F**kin bast*rd French and their stupid fu+kin weather.

Why me. Why now.

Pop round if you want to borrow some gear. I'm marshalling this evening but will be around at some stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

Yo ROK, can get your kit out to you ya by UPS but it wont get to you until Monday, any good ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

Best of luck ROK ON. Hope you have a great ride and I'm sure all that training you've put in will see you through to the end.

Stuck in London just hoping that I manage to get a flight home tomorrow.

I hate travelling and it is tougher with a bike case.

Spent last few days ins Pyrenees with the plan of doing 4 days cycling ober the various cols.

Trip organised by www.onyourbike.ie
    Nice guys, great effort. Horrible weather that was certainly no fault of theirs.

Day 1: very wet and very cold. 100km cut short to 75.
    Tourmalet and Aspin. Tourmalet long but gradient is constant around 7-8%. Thus relatively straightforward to get into a rhythm (a slow rhythm) and spin to the top.
    HR never above 165.
    20k descent in bitter cold then the Aspin. First half sub 5% next around 8-9%. Grand.
    Met two French cyclist at cafe at top. Girl nearly died due to hypothermia. Ambulance called.

Day 2. Nice day. 130km. Started at Col du Courette. 6km with first two at 15-22%. After that thru some stunning rolling countryside to the base of Hautacam.
    13km climb and very tough. Gradient continually shifting from 6-11%.
    Great ride.

Day 3; could only dp 50Km due to driving rain and threat of snow. The barronies - Fignons old training spin.

Day 4. Cancelled. Several inches of snow. Lunch and booze. Dinner and booze. Great craic.

Day 5. No flights home. Fly to London and hope.

I am not sure will I ever travel again when I get home. Way too much hassle and stress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Hard luck with the weather ROK. It wasn't exactly pleasant for our trip to Spain in Feb (though better than what you had it seems) so I know the slight sense of deflation rain on holiday brings. What can you do? Suit up and get on with it, I suppose.

Sounds like you did well with the climbing though. Well done. Now bring on the raid, right?

Bad luck with the weather but congrats on the climbing you achieved. Airports open today so home at last!

Come along to Killorglin on the 16th, this has just been posted:- http://killorglincycling.com/ still can't guarantee good weather!

About 300km done in past week.
    Highs and lows.

Highs
    Actually managing to get over some of the climbs was an achievement for me. I was never in trouble, but paced myself well (too well) and travelled very slowly. Given that I climbed in at 165-170 HR zone, I would be confident that if I upped that to 170-175 that I would be able to go a bit faster. In reality, I am lazy enough on the climbs, and should push myself harder. I got some go0d advive from one of the guys. If I can go up the Tourmalet for 20km at 165bpm, there is no reason why I cant push a consistent 175-180bpm on say Cruagh/Stocking Lane onto Kilalkee, as the recovery time will come a helluva a lot sooner.

Recovered from climbs. That was a high. However it does take it out, in that after a long day of climbing my speed on the flat was completely impaired, but that is to be expected I guess.

The countryside is absolutely spectacular. It would be great of it was on our doorsteps.

God food, wine beer. Great craic with a bunch of utter lunatics. Some very strong cyclists went in terms of climbing and descending ability.

Lows

I was (between work and holidays) away from wife and kids for 11days. TBH I found that surprisingly tough. It involves an extraordinary amount of selfishness which is not particularly justifiable.

Being caught in the airspace restrictions was an expensive PITA. I cannot afford the time away from work, and given the nature of my employment, this has proven to be an incredibly bad time to be out of the office.

The attitude of the French never ceases to amaze me. The country is strangled by inertia, and I abhor the pace of life there. From restaurants that close for lunch, to places that refused to serve 12 hungry cyclists as we arrived at a certain time (1min past 3.30pm), to the hotel refusing to give us bread after a cycle as they would not have any left for dinner. I dont mean to offend anyone (sorry Caroline), but France - beautiful country, thoroughly unhelpful/stubborn people.

Mental: When one is a slow climber, the biggest challenge climbing is mental. You quickly realise that you will be going at 7.5-12km/h for maybe 90-120minutes. That is a very very long time to be going slowly. The mind talks to you, and it doesnt say nice encouraging things. You need to either turn off your mind or occupy it. I dont listen to music climbing, but if I was going again to a place that involved 90mins of climbing I would bring an music player full of tunes.

Weather - but that is nobodies fault. I have to say that the guys in OnYourBike tried their damndest to put on some routes or provide some alternatives (hiking,spa/sauna etc) to compensate for the weather. Good guys. I would recommend them. While the weather meant that we had one cancelled day, it did mean for me that I never burned up on the climbs. I have always believed that it is easier to climb in the cold. However desents were hellish. Four layers plus newspapers and still flirted with hypothermia. Roads awash with rainwater meant that one couldnt just let rip on what would have been fantastic descents.

I am not sure whther I want to put myself (and family) thru another week of being away. I have always hated airports/travelling, and this week has brought that home forcibly. I also am not sure that I have the holidays left.
    I will sit on this a few weeks and ruminate over it. But having been their the Raid isnt that much of a priority now.
    That said, I am stil comitted to the www.tourdemunster.ie so I will continue my training as if nothing has changed.

The Pyrenees are stunning, and for tjose that dont mind the hassle of the travel or have the time, I would highly recommend them. Villages are a little sleepy for my liking. However Bagneres has a fantatsic spa called Acquenisis, which has great pool, jacuzzis, hammams, saunas and massages. It would be a great place to spend a few hours for anyone that does the Etape this year. (the etape finished on the Tourmalet, and then you would have a 22km desent to Bagneres).
    There is a fantastic restaurant across the road also, but cant recall the name.

GPS logs

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/38692
    http://ridewithgps.com/trips/38698
    http://ridewithgps.com/trips/38697

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭godihatedehills

Great report. I hope you go ahead with the raid if only to tell us about it afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Hi Rok On
    Been reading your exploits...well done. I am back on the bike after 15yrs...and trying to catch up on all the technology! What device are you using for recording the data on your rides? Have you got tested for OBLA, VO2 and Power output @ OBLA etc?.
    I seem to be pedalling quite well and averaging 17 to 18mph over 2hr spin on a bike I raced with from 90 -93. Its heavy by todays standards but its enough to dust the cob webs off and see if I can get back in good shape again. Not doing any really long spins yet though-but really likin being back in saddle!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

Hi rokon, very good report. Am set to do the etape, and tourmalet, this year. Am toying with the idea of a compact. Climb wicklow with 39 25 without much bother. How did you find tourmalet? Any comparisson, incline wise, to wicklow climbs, sally gap etc

Tourmalet is fine in that gradient consistently 7-9%. No crazy changes of gradient. We started in Bagneres and finished at la mongie.
    It was 20k of climbing about1300m.
    I used triple and mostly stayed in 30 21/24. You will be fine on what you have or a compact.
    Main thing was the length of time climbing. Plays havoc with the mind I found. Bring an ipod.

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Hi Rok On
    Been reading your exploits...well done. I am back on the bike after 15yrs...and trying to catch up on all the technology! What device are you using for recording the data on your rides? Have you got tested for OBLA, VO2 and Power output @ OBLA etc?.
    I seem to be pedalling quite well and averaging 17 to 18mph over 2hr spin on a bike I raced with from 90 -93. Its heavy by todays standards but its enough to dust the cob webs off and see if I can get back in good shape again. Not doing any really long spins yet though-but really likin being back in saddle!

I use a Garmin 305 Edge and t/f the data to ridewithgps.com

I have never had tests. Not my bag really. Talk to Lumen.

Ryder wrote: »
    Hi rokon, very good report. Am set to do the etape, and tourmalet, this year. Am toying with the idea of a compact. Climb wicklow with 39 25 without much bother. How did you find tourmalet? Any comparisson, incline wise, to wicklow climbs, sally gap etc

Now I am a very slow climber you may well be faster. If I was going again I would maybe bring the bike I have with a compact in that I used the 30/27 only a handful of times on ztupied gradients on backroads. Main advice I would give to non climbers. Is find a way to occupy your mind. It is a lonely few hours climbing.. Maybe if I pushed harder and was in even more pain. I would have been too preoccupied to think.

305km in 4 rides plus a few commutes this past week. One ride a fantatsic fast spin out and back to Saggart at 5.30am in the morning on Wednesday. No traffic - briliant. In work at 7.30, showered and breakfasted by 745am. Downside - ate like a pig that day.

Picked up a chest infection and now on antibiotics so no cycling for the moment. Bummer as I wanted to do the Killorglin CC Humpy Hundred tomorrow. However a w/e of no cycling will hopefull build up some brownie points with SWMBO. Not to worried about taking a week off the bike to be honest, as Ithink my training has been reasonably consistent.

Weight has stabilised at 88kg, which is amazing as I have been eating like a pig. I reckon if I could know that in the head I could travel towards 80kg reasonably quickly.

Finally decided that it is not feasible to do the Raid and the Tour de Munster. I do not have the holidays or ability to get away from the family for both. Plus, I am happy that I did get to the Pyrenees and manage some of the climbs. Hopefully they will stand me in good stead.
    I would like to go back as it is a stunning area, but not sure I want to go back and experience the rudeness/couldn't care less attitude of some of the locals.

On the basis that I want to raise funds for my nephew I am prioritsing the Tour de Munster. It is easier logistically than the Raid, in that it actually passes through Limerick where I am from and Kenmare where I live.

Frankly it was selfish and unrealistic to think that I could do both in the one summer given family and work.
    Hopefully next June. Until then all focus is on building up time in the saddle so that I dont let myself down on the Tour de Munster. Prior events have managed the 615-650km in an avg pace of 27km over 4 days. It will be a challenge but I am getting excited. Three months from today.

Goal is to do a few 150km back to backs plus four 200kms in the next 6-7 weeks. Raid not cancelled, just postponed.

You missed a hot one! My skin is glowing, the cyclists tan is established now. The descent into the Black Valley was scary, I chickened out after hitting a pot hole that nearly bounced me over a fence, this meant the group sped off leaving a few of us to make our own way. Was more interested in putting in the distance than worrying about time, so a nice few hours out on the bike. Hope you'll make it for the July 17th "Iveragh 200" from Waterville. http://killorglincycling.com/index.php?page=leisure-events

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

Some others I know who did it had an ' interesting ' time to say the least, still though lovely day for it.

lescol wrote: »
    You missed a hot one! My skin is glowing, the cyclists tan is established now. The descent into the Black Valley was scary, I chickened out after hitting a pot hole that nearly bounced me over a fence, this meant the group sped off leaving a few of us to make our own way. Was more interested in putting in the distance than worrying about time, so a nice few hours out on the bike. Hope you'll make it for the July 17th "Iveragh 200" from Waterville. http://killorglincycling.com/index.php?page=leisure-events

I was out for Sunday drive with family. I saw you descending into Dunloe after just after the 1st group of about 15 cyclists. Were you wearing club top.

Was driving black Renault people carrier.

Abut 100 doing it? Was very jealous, great day for it. BUt chest knackered. I would love to do the Iveragh 200 - would be ideal preparation. Killorglin CC must be sponsored by Giant, I know they are popular, but I never saw so much of them on the road. Whats the story, ye all getting cheap deals on them over on that side of the peninsula.

I will probably do some of that route next week if you are up for a spin. Could meet yo half way. But I will probably add Ballaghisheen from both sides.

Murph100 wrote: »
    Some others I know who did it had an ' interesting ' time to say the least, still though lovely day for it.

In what way. Say a fair few cyclists on the road. A few ladies shelled out the back, but that was it really. No one looked to be in trouble and most people were in small groups.

ROK ON wrote: »
    I was out for Sunday drive with family. I saw you descending into Dunloe after just after the 1st group of about 15 cyclists. Were you wearing club top.

Was driving black Renault people carrier.

Abut 100 doing it? Was very jealous, great day for it. BUt chest knackered. I would love to do the Iveragh 200 - would be ideal preparation. Killorglin CC must be sponsored by Giant, I know they are popular, but I never saw so much of them on the road. Whats the story, ye all getting cheap deals on them over on that side of the peninsula.

I will probably do some of that route next week if you are up for a spin. Could meet yo half way. But I will probably add Ballaghisheen from both sides.

There's new KCC kit now they have a new sponsor in Caherciveen CU, there were a few up from south Kerry in the new kit also. There were a lot of Giants around from sora to DA equipped, a few Zipps too! At the Board of Works/Gap of Dunloe junction there was a water stop which is where the 100k met the 60k. I felt like the Lanterne Rouge until just outside Killorglin where I was swept up by Currow CC.

I should be up for a weekend spin. I prefer Ballaghasheen, the pot holes aren't quite so deep!

• Advertisement
Advertisement