Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Booze deals [Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

The drinkers who were on were saying it was terrible taste

I can second this its not as nice as the 500ml can speaking to my mate in Diageo the 470ml cans are brewed in Dublin but packaged in Runcorn the normal 500ml cans are manufactured in Belfast for the ROI market which are much nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,770 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Slab of Carlsberg €25 in super value

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Slab of Carlsberg €25 in super value
    several other deals there

molson is 20
    coors light 28
    heineken 28

all finish today though https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/wine-beer-spirits-lager/c-150302375

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭brick tamland

rubadub wrote: »

molson is 20
    coors light 28
    heineken 28

all finish today though https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/wine-beer-spirits-lager/c-150302375

All very strange as my local (large) suppervalu had none of those offers yesterday

Im guessing a mistake and starts today/tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

All very strange as my local (large) suppervalu had none of those offers yesterday

Im guessing a mistake and starts today/tomorrow

As a veteran of this game- SuperValu booze offers usually run from Thursday to Wednesday so your prob right about them starting tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

Thanks
    Picked up the last molson
    Slab bulmers
    1L powers
    For €60 with a voucher
    rubadub wrote: »

molson is 20
    coors light 28
    heineken 28

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Pretty sure I saw boxes of Molson for about 15 euro in Dunnes last week. Also got a box of hop house for 20. Worth a look again this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Molson was indeed 15 euro in Dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭zell12

zell12 wrote: »
    Will Aldi pricematch on Thursday?
    HVRHJ0g.png
    Turns out Aldi will pricematch better
    vjKKSyt.png

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭geordi

Anyone know if there are slabs of Guinness 500ml on offer? These 470ml cans have me spooked:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭mel123

what do we think, will there be any good deals like previous years in the supermarkets this year on the trays of beer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

geordi wrote: »
    Anyone know if there are slabs of Guinness 500ml on offer? These 470ml cans have me spooked:eek:

There isn't and there won't be, best bet is to get 2x12 packs of 500ml somewhere that's on offer. Occasionally goes down to €15.

geordi wrote: »

I bought 24 of these last week had a few last night and they did not taste the same as the normal Guinness with the widget - Ill finish them off as I paid for them but would rather pay the extra for the 8/12 packs with the widget.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

I bought 24 of these last week had a few last night and they did not taste the same as the normal Guinness with the widget - Ill finish them off as I paid for them but would rather pay the extra for the 8/12 packs with the widget.

Found them hit and miss, the widgets didn't seem to "activate" when opening some of the cans. A solution I found was to give the can slight shake before opening which seemed to do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Seve OB wrote: »

Yes Seve I remember these well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭msmx5

Found them hit and miss, the widgets didn't seem to "activate" when opening some of the cans. A solution I found was to give the can slight shake before opening which seemed to do the trick.

I found turning the can upside down then back again is normally good enough. Might try storing them in the fridge upside down.

I'm in the rare situation of having completely run out of Guinness and I'm not sure whether to risk the 470ml "Runcorn" Cans.... think I'll search out some 500's if I can.

On a separate note - I overheard a Guinness rep mention to the local Supervalu off-licences manager today that the 8 Packs of Guinness will soon have 2 free cans of Guinness Zero included as a promotion.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Could it be that the 470 ml Runcorn cans is just a move to shift stock prior to Brexit?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,154 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Just on Aldi, the actual crate prices are...
    Carlsberg €19.68
    Budweiser €23.64
    Guinness €25.08

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Whats the story with Aldi's prices, are they different for each store?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,826 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Could it be that the 470 ml Runcorn cans is just a move to shift stock prior to Brexit?

You could well be right there, Diageo are a miserable, ruthless crowd when it comes to customer loyalty.

That could well bite them on the arse yet with all this Covid carry on. No way I'll be buying any 470ml cans anyway.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Frank_1969

IHave had a good share of dud cans also.
    I reckon if the can is too cold the liquid gets too dense and the widget can't move through it to the top of the can.i find 2 to 3 hours in the fridge is optimal.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭fulhamfan

You could well be right there, Diageo are a miserable, ruthless crowd when it comes to customer loyalty.

That could well bite them on the arse yet with all this Covid carry on. No way I'll be buying any 470ml cans anyway.

Guinness have been by far the best brewery to staff in pubs giving gift vouchers for bar staff, hand sanitizer and other supports to the bar owners. Hard to fault them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,826 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

fulhamfan wrote: »
    Guinness have been by far the best brewery to staff in pubs giving gift vouchers for bar staff, hand sanitizer and other supports to the bar owners. Hard to fault them

Guinness are the most miserable,greedy grab it all and take it for granted obnoxious business anyone in the Irish bar trade has dealt with for the last few decades.

They wouldn’t give you a beer mat and charged for every promotional Item sporting the name down to the glasses all because they were surfing the wave of “if you don’t want to stock Guinness it’ll be your loss, not ours”.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

That's the attitude of the majority of shops nowadays towards customers in my experience

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

12x500ml Guinness is 15 euro in centra .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Anyone know why Beamish is never on a slab deal. It's a budget beer in the pub but premium priced in the supermarket. Guinness is higher priced in the pub but dirt cheap in the supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭sceach16

Anyone know why Beamish is never on a slab deal. It's a budget beer in the pub but premium priced in the supermarket. Guinness is higher priced in the pub but dirt cheap in the supermarket.

I have seen tinnies but never slabs of Beamish. (My opinion)....they are concentrating on draught. Heineken own it now and it is brewed in Murphy's.

Long term U may not see it at all!

Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beamish_and_Crawford

sceach16 wrote: »
    I have seen tinnies but never slabs of Beamish. (My opinion)....they are concentrating on draught. Heineken own it now and it is brewed in Murphy's.

Long term U may not see it at all!

Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beamish_and_Crawford

Believe it or not Diageo can this for Heineken in Belfast using the same widget and canning process they use for for Guinness same shape of can etc - it is shipped from Cork to Marshals road and canned in single cans and 4 packs - from what I heard the reason for them not selling slabs is the market would not be there.

Murphys draught can is canned in the Tadcaster Johns Smiths brewery in the UK.

• Advertisement

Guinness have never had this can size before they have only canned 440ml for the UK and export market and 500ml for ROI market - would say the logic here is around compacity - the new size and widget can would take a lot of engineering from a canning prospective - so they would have most likely ran over 1000 pallets (enough to service the Christmas market) of this over a few shifts so they would not need to do a change over.

Runcorn mostly can the 440ml (Belfast so also) and on occasions 500ml cans of Kilkenny for the ROI market.

Just my tupence worth

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement