Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trocaire Boxes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

Penny for the black babies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭AlteredStates

cruais wrote: »
    Penny for the black babies

And if you dont eat up youll end up like them...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Peddle their wares? Please.

They are out there helping the poor people of the world. Have you ever seen the good work done by the missions or heard the stories from priests back from the missions? They do a massive amount of good for the poor.

There is a disgusting attitude driven by blind hatred of Catholicism being displayed in this thread (and many other threads by idiotic posters).

Id love to have the likes of you coming into me if I were working in a school complaining about topics such as this, the satisfaction I'd get telling you to clear off would be high.

The indoctrination worked well on you I see. I bet you think Mother Teresa was a great woman altogether.

lazygal wrote: »
    The indoctrination worked well on you I see. I bet you think Mother Teresa was a great woman altogether.

What are you on about? Mother Teresa? One the greatest people ever for the work she did with the poor and a future Saint? Are you really trying to claim something against her?

A new low for AH without doubt, the bull sh*t some people will come out with to push their incorrect views is laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭thehouses

We could cut straight to the chase, . Whether there are actual draw backs or not The RCCs issue with condoms is that their use is "sinful".

That is to reduce their argument too much. There is much more to their rationale beyond it being sinful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭thehouses

What are you on about? Mother Teresa? One the greatest people ever for the work she did with the poor and a future Saint? Are you really trying to claim something against her?

A new low for AH without doubt, the bull sh*t some people will come out with to push their incorrect views is laughable.

Have a look at some things Christopher Hitchens said about her...from what I remember he criticised the fact that she spread her religion (which is the same as spreading atheism as it happens) and he also said she didn't use proper medical techniques and did more harm than good.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

She was an absolute fraud and her fetishism about others suffering was pure evil.

I just googled 'mother teresa fraud' and it suprised me to say the least. Google it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

I actually forgot about this, but I presume they're referring to the stories that came out a few years back. Basically it suggested that she was very much into suffering and the suffering of those she treated, maybe she had some view it brought people closer to jesus/god. Not something I'd be overly interested in but dont fully discount that posters comments without looking into it yourself.

Yeah I'll believe some load of nonsense from a person pushing their atheist agenda against all the obvious good that we saw being done over the decades :rolleyes:

I wouldn't even waste my time reading it.

• Advertisement

Yeah I'll beleive some load of nonsense from a person pushing their atheist agenda against all the obvious good that we saw being done over the decades :rolleyes:

Its not just one person. There are countless amounts of articles. Like i said. It suprised me. Just google it ...honestly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

Thats fair enough, maybe go have an auld pray or something

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭hynesie08

this is the mother teresa who refused to disclose her finances amid reports money donated for medical equipment was being sent to the vatican and would forcibly baptise dying people?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Yeah I'll believe some load of nonsense from a person pushing their atheist agenda against all the obvious good that we saw being done over the decades :rolleyes:

Where did you see this good she did?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

The things some people choose to get worked up about!

No-one has ever, to my knowledge, been in way forced to put anything into a Trocaire box....in fact you don't even have to take one if you don't want to.

That some people think it's good enough to get a box just to fill it with contraceptives and other rubbish is worrying....it would make me question their maturity tbh.

I would think they are joking op It would probably take them years to fill it with condoms anyway not weeks :)

lulu1 wrote: »
    I would think they are joking op It would probably take them years to fill it with condoms anyway not weeks :)
    Not if you fill them with water.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Not if you fill them with water.

Are you talking water balloons well why didnt you say that.

Are you talking water balloons well why didnt you say that.

Exactly, Never mind disease and famine, It's impossible to be sad when you're having a water balloon fight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭CJ Haughey

Female contraception should also be welcomed.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Exactly, Never mind disease and famine, It's impossible to be sad when you're having a water balloon fight.

Now now did your mother never tell you never to waste water because there is thousands dying for the want of a drink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

They are out there helping the poor people of the world. Have you ever seen the good work done by the missions or heard the stories from priests back from the missions? They do a massive amount of good for the poor.

There is a disgusting attitude driven by blind hatred of Catholicism being displayed in this thread (and many other threads by idiotic posters).

Id love to have the likes of you coming into me if I were working in a school complaining about topics such as this, the satisfaction I'd get telling you to clear off would be high.

If I encountered a psychotic, indoctrinated cult member working in a school I'd pull my children out of it before they got hurt. It's always the same oul' caper on infinite loop.

Now now did your mother never tell you never to waste water because there is thousands dying for the want of a drink.

That's where the condoms come in, all the fun without the explosions.

(Yes i'm still talking about water)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jungleman

The missions were only put in place to spread the word of Catholicism and make money. It was never about doing good or making a difference. It was a form of exploitation similar to colonialism. If the church really wanted to help out there, they could. They are the richest organisation in the world. The sheer hypocrisy of the CC is unbelievable. That pope benedict was sitting on a gold plated bloody throne while African children were starving.

My aunt is a nun out in Zambia. She lives in a gated community, patrolled by white security men. She has a constant supply of fresh water. She has electricity and access to internet. All while living in her little Vatican funded bubble, gated to keep the uncivilized black people out. So the "disgusting attitude" you refer to is just people who know what the missions and good catholic folk in Africa are really like.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I once filled one with biscuits and used the money to buy a yo-yo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

My future bus fare or spare change I need for smokes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

TheChizler wrote: »
    Condoms?

Best to start early eh? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Steppenwolfe

I remember these when I was in primary school in the '70's, can't be making a huge difference if they're still looking for money to solve the same problems in the same countries decades on.

I was just thinking the same myself. Showing my age here, but my primary school days were the early 60's. Back then we were always being reminded to bring a penney to school for the black babies. I'm sure they call them something else now, but little else seems to have changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I fill a trocaire box every year and hand it all into the local St Vincent de Paul. They are the only organisation who I will give to that has any link to religion/churchs.

Charity begins at Home!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭worded

Bishop Casey and Trocaire

Give a little, it would help me mot

Anyone remember that one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Every year in school, same story, "me Mammy put the box in the fire". They stopped bothering me. She said "we are the fecking poor".

Advertisement