Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belfast rape trial discussion thread II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,038 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Mod

dont bother, unless you have proof for what you're claiming don't bother (pardon the pun) posting in here again without that proof.

Thread reopened.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭facehugger99

as i said i will do it in the morrow.

The smell of bull**** from your posts is overpowering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Faugheen wrote: »
    We're disagreeing on a lot, but i have to agree with you here!

I think I need to lie down in an attempt to grasp this bizarre situation

You're not getting a hug

• Registered Users Posts: 67,064 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I find very amusing the idea that people who don’t talk graphically about sex must be prudes. :pac: It’s more a signifier that they don’t wonder at sex, IMO.

What else is it, if not prudery?
    Many people talk about/to each other the way those guys and girls were whatsapping. Many behave the way they were in Ollie's and later at the party.

You are judging them based on your own set of beliefs or moral compass , no matter how much you say you aren't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Many people talk about/to each other the way those guys and girls were whatsapping. Many behave the way they were in Ollie's and later at the party.

You are judging them based on your own set of beliefs or moral compass , no matter how much you say you aren't.

Are you actually being serious here? Not wondering at sex, perhaps? How much a person talks about sex says nothing of their sex life. Precisely nothing. I’m amused that people think you must not like sex if you like to keep your sexual exploits private. How bizarre. :D

• Advertisement

Are you actually being serious here? Not wondering at sex, perhaps? How much a person talks about sex says nothing of their sex life. Precisely nothing. I’m amused that people think you must not like sex if you like to keep your sexual exploits private. How bizarre. :D

What now?

What now?

Indeed.

Indeed.

I don't understand what you are on about...what does 'not wondering at sex' mean?

I don't understand what you are on about...what does 'not wondering at sex' mean?

Okay, if you must feign innocence - you think not taking or joking about sex signifies prudery, as per the bolded bit below. Some people just think it’s a private matter. Others just find it a bit juvenile. It doesn’t mean they find it shocking that people talk and joke about sex. They’re as likely to be bemused or just plain uninterested in such conversation than to be prudish. And it says nothing of their own sex lives. To think that prudery is the only explanation is bizarre.

I’m being quite clear and if you still don’t understand what I’m saying, I can’t help you.

Oh and, no, many people don’t talk like those guys, male and female. Speak for yourself.

Okay, if you must feign innocence - you think not taking or joking about sex signifies prudery,
    That is not what I said...JUDGING people who choose to talk that way is prudery. I am not bothered whether people do or don't. Live and let live.
    as per the bolded bit below. Some people just think it’s a private matter. Others just find it a bit juvenile. It doesn’t mean they find it shocking that people talk and joke about sex. They’re as likely to be bemused or just plain uninterested in such conversation than to be prudish. And it says nothing of their own sex lives. To think that prudery is the only explanation is bizarre.

I’m being quite clear and if you still don’t understand what I’m saying, I can’t help you.

Oh and, no, many people don’t talk like those guys, male and female. Speak for yourself.

Totally disagree, many many people talk like that. As I said way back, I have worked in bars and nightclubs and heard it many many times. Scroll some of the threads here on women and you will see it too.

• Advertisement

That is not what I said...JUDGING people who choose to talk that way is prudery. I am not bothered whether people do or don't. Live and let live.

Totally disagree, many many people talk like that. As I said way back, I have worked in bars and nightclubs and heard it many many times. Scroll some of the threads here on women and you will see it too.

And many people don’t. :) You worked in bars and heard people talk about sex. Super. That’s not all the people. Or anywhere close to all the people. And even of people who go to bars, not everyone will be talking explicitly about sex. I know this because I also worked in bars.

Judging people for talking graphically about sex is also not necessarily prudery. That judgement might involve just thinking them to be very juvenile. Or just being bemused. I tend to think that people who are mouthy about their exploits are exaggerating greatly. Whether fair or not, it leads me to think they have a shïtty enough sex life. Otherwise, why are they making such a big deal about it? A natural act, something our parents and grandparents did.

And many people don’t. :) You worked in bars and heard people talk about sex. Super. That’s not all the people. Or anywhere close to all the people. And even of people who go to bars, not everyone will be talking explicitly about sex. I know this because I also worked in bars.

Judging people for talking graphically about sex is also not necessarily prudery. That judgement might involve just thinking them to be very juvenile. Or just being bemused. I tend to think that people who are mouthy about their exploits are exaggerating greatly. Whether fair or not, it leads me to think they have a shïtty enough sex life. Otherwise, why are they making such a big deal about it? A natural act, something our parents and grandparents did.

Talking about sex is juvenile? :):) you sound like my spinster aunt.
    People talk about many things to each other, sex being one of them. I think we have all the evidence we need (and then some) that these particular lads were getting some, so we can rule out your last theory there.

Talking about sex is juvenile? :):)you sound like my spinster aunt.
    People talk about many things to each other, sex being one of them. I think we have all the evidence we need (and then some) that these particular lads were getting some, so we can rule out your last theory there.

Ah, it can be, yes!

Now now, who’s being the judgemental one here? Exactly what I was talking about. “Oh, you don’t talk about sex, must not be getting any, lolz”.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Talking about sex is juvenile? :):) you sound like my spinster aunt.

Sex is spoken about among people, nobody is denying that.

What these lads were talking about though? This wasn’t just a standard ‘I got the ride last night’ type message.

Having said all of that, you just know Blaine McIlroy is a bullsh*tter. Even the complainant, Jackson and Olding all said she didn’t have oral sex with him. You know something is up when the complainant agrees with the two men accused of raping her.

What these lads were talking about though? This wasn’t just a standard ‘I got the ride last night’ type message.

Can you link to data on how 'non-standard' it was? You are quick to call for back-up. Your turn now.
    Or is it a case of you need to get out more, as they say.

Can you link to data on how 'non-standard' it was? You are quick to call for back-up. Your turn now.

The requests for links on this site grow ever more moronic. Do you think there’s going to be a peer-reviewed study on the subject?

The requests for links on this site grow ever more moronic. Do you think there’s going to be a peer-reviewed study on the subject?

Yes...it was another way of saying you cannot say it was not standard chat. :rolleyes:

Sigh.

Even if there was a link, I wouldn't post it. You wouldn't listen to actual legislation which said you couldn't perform sexual acts on someone when they were sleeping so what would the point be?

Sigh.

Even if there was a link, I wouldn't post it. You wouldn't listen to actual legislation which said you couldn't perform sexual acts on someone when they were sleeping so what would the point be?

ha ha...the misquoting continues and the desire to legislate for what goes on in the bedrooms of consenting couples. How quaintly Roman Catholic.

Nicely deflected btw...I didn't miss that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Sigh.

Who was asleep?

• Advertisement

Who was asleep?

There was a debate away back. I said I had often initiated sex with my sleeping partner and her with me. The moral crusade brigade went on a frenzy.

Who was asleep?

It was a hypothetical conversation which bridged out in this thread where Francie thought performing sexual acts on someone who was sleeping was ok.

ha ha...the misquoting continues and the desire to legislate for what goes on in the bedrooms of consenting couples. How quaintly Roman Catholic.

Nicely deflected btw...I didn't miss that.

You can't consent when you're sleeping though. So there's that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Were there not references to 'Belfast sl*ts'. And *sl*ts getting f*cked'?

Is that how lads message each other on a regular basis? I didn't think that was the norm at all.

Seemingly Diageo don't think so either?

You can't consent when you're sleeping though. So there's that.

I didn't perform a sex act on a sleeping person. That was the wrong end of the stick the crusaders insisted on taking.
    I initiated sex and my partner also did. We both WOKE up and continued.

Jaysus. :rolleyes:

Is that how lads message each other on a regular basis? I didn't think that was the norm at all.

You might be surprised how often the word is used.
    However, more recently it has seen increasing use as a positive term, which has incidentally resulted in its being applied to men as well (cf. "man-slut", or sometimes just the gender-neutral "slut" to encompass the genderqueer, genderfluid or agendered). There have also been explicit attempts to reappropriate the term as a positive one, as with the SlutWalk movement.

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Slut

https://www.amazon.com/Modern-Slut-Tips-Broken-Arrow-ebook/dp/B078NMST13

I didn't perform a sex act on a sleeping person. That was the wrong end of the stick the crusaders insisted on taking.
    I initiated sex and my partner also did. We both WOKE up and continued.

Jaysus. :rolleyes:

What you and your wife do is your business.

It doesn’t mean everybody else can do it and expect people to be ok with it and accept it. That’s what you were arguing.

What you and your wife do is your business.

It doesn’t mean everybody else can do it and expect people to be ok with it and accept it. That’s what you were arguing.

You think couples shouldn't initiate sex in ways they are comfortable with? :eek:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Yes, maybe they're all part of the Slut Walk movement and they were being complimentary :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I believe the complainant sent the text to her friends referencing Belfast sluts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement