Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belfast rape trial discussion thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67,254 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

i'm not talking about the rape accusation. i am referring to his, and his friends', attitudes to women.

What about the woman's attitude to herself...getting blind drunk, going to a strangers house etc. Should that be held against her?

People make mistakes all the time...at least I have and most others. Some of those on the high moral ground have led unblemished lives it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭KikiLaRue

What about the woman's attitude to herself...getting blind drunk, going to a strangers house etc. Should that be held against her?

People make mistakes all the time...at least I have and most others. Some of those on the high moral ground have led unblemished lives it seems.

Has she been signed for London Irish too?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,278 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

this wasn't one mistake by them. it was a prevailing attitude. an attitude they have shown no remorse for.

KikiLaRue wrote: »
    Has she been signed for London Irish too?

yeah she is a utility back.

do you not make judgements about other people practically every day of your life? do not decide if you like people, if you would like to be friends with people, if you dont like them at all and never wish to see them again? It is incredibly naive to think we dont judge other people.

Careerblocking, life changing judgements? Absolutely no way, do I make those every day of my life.
    I would take a great deal of time to make such a judgement. With absolute regard for the other person. It's called decency and ordinary humanity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Which has what to do with learning a life lesson?
    Can you answer the question now? You can answer it in terms of yourself as well as for your child or anyone you actually know.

His attitude throughout the trial and afterwards was not one of a man who regretted what he did so i dont think he has learned a life lesson.

What did he do, that he has cause for regret? What life lesson has he failed to learn?

Other than the regret he has expressed:
    He told the Press Association he would always regret the events of the night in question.
    “I am ashamed that a young woman who was a visitor to my home left in a distressed state... I am also truly sorry for engaging in a Whatsapp group chat which was degrading and offensive and I apologise unreservedly for this.

The criticism of my behaviour is fully justified and I know I have betrayed the values of my family and those of the wider public."

What atonement must he make for degrading and offensive language?
    Maybe his attitude is consistent that of an innocent man, who feels he has been wronged in some respect, by being accused of rape?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭dont bother

i'm not talking about the rape accusation. i am referring to his, and his friends', attitudes to women.

surely you can see the hypocrisy in that statement?
    you are seething with anger towards these men, so if a lot of women (and there are) share that opinion of men and are so quick to judge, ruin their lives, careers etc - for what? cos you dont like their attitude towards women?

the group was called top shaggers, they are young, good looking rugby players and the women flocked to them. they were getting action.
    why is it so bad that they discussed this, albeit crudely, amongst themselves?

just because they have this attitude, why should their lives be ruined?
    what gives women the right to do that to a man, ruin their lives, just because they got their backs up about stuff said privately with their mates in a Private whatsapp group?

peer pressure to conform to the language of the group at play, young minds, up to their necks in women all the time, so they would see them more maybe as a commodity, an accessory to their rugby guy lives.

it's natural that guys like that would have some attitude like this to women, but it's certainly not a shock or a surprise.

it was a huge bandwagonry thing with the feminists who took on this stance.

they were found NOT GUILTY.

maybe its time to put the woman who accused them on trial for lying, for trying to sabotage the lives of a number of different men.
    it's in the court transcripts that she actually texted her mate BEFORE the night of the alleged rape to say that she hated paddy jackson and would do anything to "bring him down". she had a grudge against Ulster rugby BEFORE the night she was lucky enough to meet paddy et al, and the rest is basically (IN MY OPINION) she rode them all, made a slvt of herself and then used it to "bring paddy jackson down".

why isnt she on trial ?

this wasn't one mistake by them. it was a prevailing attitude. an attitude they have shown no remorse for.

It was an attitude to a type of person...not 'womankind' as the shrill metoo'ers and twitter mob liked to rant about.

Do you think these guys had the same attitude to all women?

Hang on, are we only discussing things on Boards that PERSONALLY effect us now?

No, I’m not making anything up. You need to take a breath.

Listen Lady,
    you know you're making it up.

why do people like you always think they can get away with such obvious gaslighting?
    everyone can see through it.

"third hand gossip" me hole.

stop getting your frilly knickers in a twist there luvvie

It was an attitude to a type of person...not 'womankind' as the shrill metoo'ers and twitter mob liked to rant about.

So its ok because they only did it to sluts? it that it?

it certainly seems like they did. If they had come out afterwards and apologised for how they treated women then it would probably have been forgotten about by now and he wouldnt be so toxic. But he didnt and he is now poison to sponsors.

• Advertisement

it certainly seems like they did. If they had come out afterwards and apologised for how they treated women then it would probably have been forgotten about by now and he wouldnt be so toxic. But he didnt and he is now poison to sponsors.

Olding did. Jackson took a week longer.
    It did nothing for either.

The #metoo brigade will have their pound of flesh, having failed to see them convicted, will take solace in seeing their careers destroyed.

Listen Lady,
    you know you're making it up.

why do people like you always think they can get away with such obvious gaslighting?
    everyone can see through it.

"third hand gossip" me hole.

stop getting your frilly knickers in a twist there luvvie

One of us has our knickers in a twist and it isn’t me.

What did he do, that he has cause for regret? What life lesson has he failed to learn?

He told the Press Association he would always regret the events of the night in question.
    “I am ashamed that a young woman who was a visitor to my home left in a distressed state... I am also truly sorry for engaging in a Whatsapp group chat which was degrading and offensive and I apologise unreservedly for this.

The criticism of my behaviour is fully justified and I know I have betrayed the values of my family and those of the wider public."

Maybe his attitude is consistent that of an innocent man, who feels he has been wronged in some respect, by being accused of rape?

Ummm maybe because he only made that statement on taking some PR advice.

This was his initial statement, which showed zero compassion and utter contempt for the woman involved.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.joe.ie/amp/news/read-paddy-jacksons-statement-full-620675

Again you deflect. They were not commenting on 'womankind' they were making comments about a type of person. A woman who was interested in one night stands and their celebrity. Nothing wrong with that, and not representative of all women. There are men like that as well...referred to as 'horndogs'.

So all you can say is, they had an attitude to a certain type of woman, not ALL women.

So he had the same attitude to his mother or sister as he had to this girl who he didn't know for more than a few hours at the very most? Or that all the women he knew could expect to be treated that way?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,449 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

No, you just have to prepare for the possibility that you may be showing signs of approaching normality. ;)

Its ok, I've sobered up, that was a scary couple 9f hours :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭upandcumming

This was his initial statement, which showed zero compassion and utter contempt for the woman involved.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.joe.ie/amp/news/read-paddy-jacksons-statement-full-620675

Where's the "utter contempt"?

One of us has our knickers in a twist and it isn’t me.

well you clearly do, i can tell from your childish princessy retorts like the above.

From the person who showed utter contempt by repeating third hand gossip? Fabulous!

From the person who showed utter contempt by repeating third hand gossip? Fabulous!

third hand gossip which is completely untrue and by her saying it here only showed up the fact she hasnt a clue about the facts of the trial!?

In the context, of him being acquitted (very quickly) of a rape charge, which he believed him himself wholly innocent, its very understandable. Its a despicable crime, to perpetrate. Imagine being accused of it, knowing you were innocent.
    He was clearly very angry and emotional.

But then attention turned to the whatsapp conversation, an oppurtunity was latched onto by the #metoo twitterati to inflict some punishment, to still get their lb of flesh. PR damage limitation. But the apology is an apology for her being upset, and his conversation.
    An opprtune time to remind ourselves of what he actually said...

And also, of far worse being said, by people still plying their trade in Ulster Rugby. So clearly, if the content was so egregious, the whole lot of them would have had their contracts terminated.
    But of course this didnt happen.

• Advertisement

The link is right there for you Francis.

The link is right there for you Francis.

to the third hand gossip?

If you mean the statement, there is no 'utter contempt' in it. Another fantasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭selectamatic

it's in the court transcripts that she actually texted her mate BEFORE the night of the alleged rape to say that she hated paddy jackson and would do anything to "bring him down". she had a grudge against Ulster rugby BEFORE the night she was lucky enough to meet paddy et al,

Is this true?

I don't think I've ever seen this mentioned before, and I've followed the thread here pretty closely.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Actually nobody is talking about Olding anymore, because his apology was all about his behaviour and acknowledging that a woman left his company upset, as well as acknowledging that not all parties were happy with what happened that night.

Jackson meanwhile pointed fingers and threatened to sue people, before issuing a half-arsed apology a week or so later after pissing everybody off again.

Olding then accepted the hand he was dealt with, went about his business and didn't moan about what he had to go through.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

The #metoo brigade will have their pound of flesh, having failed to see them convicted, will take solace in seeing their careers destroyed.

The modern day church and every bit as nasty, bullying and malignant towards the "fallen" as the original version.

Faugheen wrote: »
    Actually nobody is talking about Olding anymore, because his apology was all about his behaviour and acknowledging that a woman left his company upset, as well as acknowledging that not all parties were happy with what happened that night.

Jackson meanwhile pointed fingers and threatened to sue people, before issuing a half-arsed apology a week or so later after pissing everybody off again.

Olding then accepted the hand he was dealt with, went about his business and didn't moan about what he had to go through.

So you are angry at somebody who was angry. Very good!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

It's evil really.

Imagine having a pack of creepers trying to sabotage your career at every point.

I don't know how these men hold it together.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The amount of money alone that Jackson in particular has lost in future big contracts, sponsorship deals etc.

Faugheen wrote: »

Not sure whether youre male/female but if you were male, and accused of something as heinous as rape, but knew you were innocent, how angry would you be at being acquitted in very short time, after a lengthy trial? With public figures including elected representatives tweeting their support to the "victim", and uttering doubt as to the acquittal?

Now we can add "pissing people off" for a half arsed apology to his crimes.
    There truly is no path to redemption for poor Paddy!

And for all the good it as done olding, he's keeping his head down all right, going about his business, but he was never as high profile as Jackson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭selectamatic

read the papers from the trial coverage.
    it was all over the papers at the time. i'm not looking for links.

she had a grudge against paddy ( i think it was something to do with him not going for her in a club a previous night) and her texts to her friends were to the tune of "i'm going to get him, i'm going to bring down Ulster Rugby".. there was also something about her friends saying "are you sure you want to go ahead with this" etc...

I must have a root around on google when I get the chance so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement