Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did they get away with that?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Actually, in the 80's we just thought it was a cool song, and it made it on to "Now thats what I call Music 2"

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

anyone old enough to remember Rainbow on ITV?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

gumbo1 wrote: »
    Blazing saddles! The entire movies gag reel.

That whole movie!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Oliver's Army by Elvis Costello, still inexplicably doing the rounds on most radio stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Oliver's Army by Elvis Costello, still inexplicably doing the rounds on most radio stations.

I think that's because the song uses racial epithets, but to criticise colonial and imperialist attitudes and the conscription of the poorer strata to fight, rather than to attack minorities.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Oliver's Army is totally an attack on war. Amazing song.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

One less white ni**ger??

Someone must have gotten pissy about that at some point?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

One less white ni**ger??

Doubtless, but for every offended person I think there'd always be many more who got the context.

It was actually censored on BBC Radio a few years ago and there was some outrage as it had never been censored before.
    I'm not sure what their stance on it is at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

One less white ni**ger??

Tbh most people listening to catchy pop songs don't put too much effort in to analysing the meaning. Only do that years later;)
    Anyway according to mr McManus the song was anti war, anti British imperialism following trip to Belfast in 73 seeing young squaddies, working class kids willing to do the dirty work all around the world.
    Term above was a derogatory term used about NI Catholics who apparently modelled civil rights movements on America's black civil rights movements.

I guess Rihanna latest song is an expression of hope that her golden retriever helps her find that fiver she lost.

"Louis 13 and it's all on me, nigga you just bought a shot
    Kamikaze if you think that you gon' knock me off the top
    ****, your wife in the backseat of my brand new foreign car
    Don't act like you forgot, I call the shots, shots, shots
    Like blah, brrap, brrap
    Pay me what you owe me, don't act like you forgot

Bitch better have my money!
    Bitch better have my money!
    Pay me what you owe me
    Bitch better have my (bitch better have my)"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

In the middle of the Congo?

No, never heard of it.

In fairness the auld Um Bongo was 'free from artificial ingredients'.

So it was a bit ahead of it's time really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

A brilliant lyric. The N word? Don't make me puke. Take things in context. I can tell you of many black singers that specify that word (white people are not allowed to use it ........ refer to PC Brigade etc). Do you mean to say that the people who sang along with these lyrics in olden days were racist? Or ignorant?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Anyone mention dire straits yet? Money for nothin....popular mainstream song on tv and radio....here's a verse!

"that little ****** with the earing and the make-up, yeah he's got his own hair, that little ****** got his own jetplane, that little ****** he's a millionaire"

Lol
    *=fagg0t

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

Anyone mention dire straits yet? Money for nothin....popular mainstream song on tv and radio....here's a verse!

"that little ****** with the earing and the make-up, yeah he's got his own hair, that little ****** got his own jetplane, that little ****** he's a millionaire"

Lol
    *=fagg0t

And?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

You mean back in the days where comedies were actually classic gold, werent afraid of offending someone or group of people because they just told it as it was and tbh wasnt such a nanny state - lets take care of anyone who wants to come into this country whatever it takes just because - kind of country/world?!

You could watch all the tv shows etc mentioned now and still find them funny, classics! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Whitewinged

Smack my bitch up, The Prodigy

i think that was banned or they refused to play it when it first came out?

God Save The Queen, The Sex Pistols

• Registered Users Posts: 6,471 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Captain Pugwash had character's called Seaman Staines and Roger the Cabin Boy. Master Mates sounds a bit dodgy as well.
    Master Mate was a character but the first two weren't. The creator of Captain Pugwash won a court case against a few newspapers who had printed these false characters as being in the stories.
    Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Channel 4 have had a series on recently called 'It Was Acceptable In The...'

80s was on the other day, some of the debates on TV, and references to black people were pretty shocking, with them present in both, was pretty shocking.
    That programme also showed Depeche Mode on children's Saturday morning television doing 'Master And Servant, about bondage and sadomasochism. When they finished, the presenter even commented that it probably wasn't appropriate for that time of the day. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    You mean back in the days where comedies were actually classic gold, werent afraid of offending someone or group of people because they just told it as it was and tbh wasnt such a nanny state - lets take care of anyone who wants to come into this country whatever it takes just because - kind of country/world?!

You could watch all the tv shows etc mentioned now and still find them funny, classics! :)

Not quite. I caught a C4 prog a few weeks back. Alright in the 70's or some such. The usual Benny Hill, Dick Emery - Boobs and Bums but innocuous enough.

Then there was a comedy programme in the Doctor at Large series. Arthur Lowe was in it and a couple of younger actors. The Doctors had to pay a periodic visit to a girls school. The "joke" was that Arthur Lowe was too old to keep up with all the nubile young girls. There were other "jokes" that just left me open-mouthed. This was the 70's when most people left school at 16.

This was mainstream family comedy. You could probably still catch it on C4.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Smack my bitch up, The Prodigy

I used to think that said "snap my picture, snap my picture".

Ah the innocence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Omackeral wrote: »

Ah the innocence.

I am guessing that you never saw the video for that song!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,408 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Jim Davidson's entire career.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

What about Rainbow, the twangers. My twanger is bigger than your twanger. And Rod and Roger were up banging (their drums) all night. Mary was helping them by playing Rogers flute.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

mariaalice wrote: »
    We use to watch Benny Hill with our parents and fall about laughing at the end of the show with the speeded up bit of him chasing women through the bushes.

Dick emery was streets ahead of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Fluffy Cat 88

Got any salmon??

Sorted! Wah ha ha haha!

Anyone remember "Thomas The Tank Engine" - and "The Fat Controller". Can't call people fat anymore. Also, all the Gollywogs were removed from Enid Blytons books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Whitewinged

Omackeral wrote: »

Ah the innocence.

Ah thats cute!

I wasnt really into the song but just looked it up there and i didnt know but its about taking heroin. "Golden Brown" by The Stranglers is much nicer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,850 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

If any of you lot watched roots you'd be in total shock. What's even more shocking is that Alex Haley stole a fictional story and passed it off as his real family history.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

They didn't get away with it. It was banned on BBC Radio 1.

Not that explicit either - it would have gone over children's heads. They would have just assumed it was about relaxing and taking it easy, not stressing. "When you want to come" - I guess, when you want to arrive? :pac:

oh you've burst the bubble:D
    Quazzie wrote: »

Ew, gross, a fist in the head would sort him out, yuck

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I was listening to the radio while getting a hair chop and Frankie goes to Hollywood's song Relax came on. The lyrics are "relax don't do it before you want to cum". A bit explicit for the time really.

in holy catholic ireland back in the 80s that went over everyone's head, we all thought it was a song about chillin out :pac: relax & take it easy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Oh my sweet mother f*cking god Quazzie, what the hell is that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

Rolf Harris (remember him) covered that too. We really do need a sick in my mouth icon.

As someone mentioned on YouTube, now it's Barry from E wing singing this to Rolf every night after the lights go out...

Advertisement