Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did they get away with that?

Options
  • 18-09-2015 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭

This isn't a thread about light sentences being handed down in courts. I was listening to the radio while getting a hair chop and Frankie goes to Hollywood's song Relax came on. The lyrics are "relax don't do it before you want to cum". A bit explicit for the time really.

Also watching re runs of Are You Being Served and I noticed how much they got away with for the time. Miss Slocum had a pet cat which she called her "pussy". She had such lines as "I'm sorry I'm late it was raining and I had to thaw my pussy out this morning".

Any others spring to mind?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

steddyeddy wrote: »
    This isn't a thread about light sentences being handed down in courts. I was listening to the radio while getting a hair chop and Frankie goes to Hollywood's song Relax came on. The lyrics are "relax don't do it before you want to cum". A bit explicit for the time really.

Also watching re runs of Are You Being Served and I noticed how much they got away with for the time. Miss Slocum had a pet cat which she called her "pussy". She had such lines as "I'm sorry I'm late it was raining and I had to thaw my pussy out this morning".

The black and white minstrel show.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Valetta wrote: »
    The black and white minstrel show.

Yea very true but I can understand how they got away with it at the time. The time wasn't as enlightened as now. Gollywogs in Noddy where another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Channel 4 have had a series on recently called 'It Was Acceptable In The...'

80s was on the other day, some of the debates on TV, and references to black people were pretty shocking, with them present in both, was pretty shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,768 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Theresa Lowe presenting 'where in the world'.
    Shure Ireland wasn't ready for that level of sexiness.

And it still isn't!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

I was listening to the radio while getting a hair chop and Frankie goes to Hollywood's song Relax came on. The lyrics are "relax don't do it before you want to cum". A bit explicit for the time really.
    They didn't get away with it. It was banned on BBC Radio 1.

Not that explicit either - it would have gone over children's heads. They would have just assumed it was about relaxing and taking it easy, not stressing. "When you want to come" - I guess, when you want to arrive? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I think back in 1984 most younger people understood what the lyrics to that song meant, perhaps not the nuances of what you needed to 'relax' in order to 'come'...and their parents (and censors) didnt. It was banned on some stations of course which helped its popularity.
    Prince had some mad dirty songs out in that time too....but no one older than 25 was listening to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭gumbo1

Blazing saddles! The entire movies gag reel.

Wasn't it banned by BBC?

Morcambe and Wise sharing a bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭pavb2

Don't think anything will top Love thy Neighbour for the racism starred Rudolph walker from east Enders.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_Thy_Neighbour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

pavb2 wrote: »
    Don't think anything will top Love thy Neighbour for the racism starred Rudolph walker from east Enders.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_Thy_Neighbour

No No No. If you want racism, try Alf Garnett. In Sickness and in health. Pure gold - but racist as hell. Calling a black man MARIGOLD!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Captain Pugwash had character's called Seaman Staines and Roger the Cabin Boy. Master Mates sounds a bit dodgy as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Captain Pugwash had character's called Seaman Staines and Roger the Cabin Boy. Master Mates sounds a bit dodgy as well.

How in the name of Greek buggery did they get away with that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Innuendo - that's why

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Fawlty Towers had loads of them, the thick Irish builder. The Major using the n word a few times as well. :)

efb wrote: »
    Innuendo - that's why

Whose end?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/pugwash.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The old kia-ora ad would not get the go ahead today i'd say! Just about every black stereotype is represented in 42 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

We use to watch Benny Hill with our parents and fall about laughing at the end of the show with the speeded up bit of him chasing women through the bushes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Are you confusing the 80's with Iran, perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

They didn't:
    Libel case regarding double entendres

There is a persistent urban legend, repeated by the now defunct UK newspaper the Sunday Correspondent, that ascribes sexually suggestive names – such as Master Bates, Seaman Staines, and Roger (meaning "have sex with") the Cabin Boy – to Captain Pugwash's characters, and indicating that the captain's name was a slang Australian term for oral sex.[2] John Ryan successfully sued both the Sunday Correspondent and The Guardian newspapers in 1991 for printing this legend as fact.[3] The origin of this myth is likely due to student rag mags from the 1970s.[4]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Ruu wrote: »
    Fawlty Towers had loads of them, the thick Irish builder. The Major using the n word a few times as well. :)

But that's what is taboo now, not back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

No mention of Rainbow yet?

A classic
    https://youtu.be/CgbcQIT7BMc

Can't embed on mobile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Weren't they actively trying to be provocative in both these examples?

They didn't get away with it. It was banned on BBC Radio 1.

Not that explicit either - it would have gone over children's heads. They would have just assumed it was about relaxing and taking it easy, not stressing. "When you want to come" - I guess, when you want to arrive? :pac:

There's nothing like a banning to guarantee the success of a tune. :)

In the US there was a brand of condoms called Jiffy - I think it was the 80's when they came on the market (heehee). The slogan was "Real Men Come In A Jiffy".

I think the US would implode if that was an advert currently in print!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Well we used to have golly bar ice creams over here.
    The N word was a common name for a dog of a certain colour.

You cant ask for a "sambo" in a shop anymore without getting strange looks.

Pffft...political correctness gone mad I tell you!!!!

Bring bag the ham sambo!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Hellrazer wrote: »

Bring bag the ham sambo!!!

Bar man.... I demand a Ham Sambo with a healthy dollop of english and a Black and Tan this instant!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

PARlance wrote: »
    No mention of Rainbow yet?

A classic
    https://youtu.be/CgbcQIT7BMc

Can't embed on mobile.

That is fake though, as in, never aired I take it?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

That is fake though, as in, never aired I take it?

News to me, was under the assumption that it was aired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,714 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Chat shows with presenter and guests chain-smoking throughout.

Advertisement