Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did they get away with that?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Eanie meanie minie mo.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Chat shows with presenter and guests chain-smoking throughout.

Football managers smoking in the dug out during a game, they were plentiful!
    Cant think the name of the goalie who sparked up during a game though....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Sabrina's hit song from 1987

'Boys, Boys, Boys'

Her nipples were cleary exposed on half a dozen occasions.

I wasn't complaining.... but how did that escape the censor.

Grange Hill in the early 1980s was full of casual racism

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

PARlance wrote: »
    News to me, was under the assumption that it was aired.

That most certainly is fake and never aired. It's a p!ss take. Some of the comments say it was an in-house staff joke production.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

They didn't get away with it. It was banned on BBC Radio 1.

Not that explicit either - it would have gone over children's heads. They would have just assumed it was about relaxing and taking it easy, not stressing. "When you want to come" - I guess, when you want to arrive? :pac:

Err... well, it's only 30 years later like :o

This one I didn't get for a long time either, didn't know why my sister singing it vexated my parents so much -

This one I got though -

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

In the 80s I had two LPs that even today would be controversial, to say the least. One was WASP's. F**k Like A Beast of which the 12" picture disc had a doberman attempting to rape some scantily clad women. Mate of mine had the same picture disk and had it confiscated by the head and was told he would only get it back if he could produce a letter from his parents saying they approved of him having it. The second was Scorpions' Virgin Killer on which the front cover of the album had a naked little girl of around eight, only thing protecting her modesty a broken glass effect around her genitalia. Remember selling both to Freebird for two quid or so each in the 90s (along with a bunch of other LPs that I got feck all for) just so I could successfully back Mininehoma in the national.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

steddyeddy wrote: »
    The time wasn't as enlightened as now

Either that, or people had better things to do with their days than be perpetually offended by everything like nowadays

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭pavb2

In the 80s I had two LPs that even today would be controversial, to say the least. One was WASP's. F**k Like A Beast of which the 12" picture disc had a doberman attempting to rape some scantily clad women. Mate of mine had the same picture disk and had it confiscated by the head and was told he would only get it back if he could produce a letter from his parents saying they approved of him having it. The second was Scorpions' Virgin Killer on which the front cover of the album had a naked little girl of around eight, only thing protecting her modesty a broken glass effect around her genitalia. Remember selling both to Freebird for two quid or so each in the 90s (along with a bunch of other LPs that I got feck all for) just so I could successfully back Mininehoma in the national.

Reminds me of a guy at school just as punk hit the streets, his parents were very middle class, conservative and he knew they wouldn't approve of Him purchasing it so he bought the album Never Mind the B*****ks by the Sex Pistols and mailed it to himself saying he'd won it in a radio phone in competition.

Their single God save the queen was banned not sure how many others were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

They didn't get away with it. It was banned on BBC Radio 1.

Not that explicit either - it would have gone over children's heads. They would have just assumed it was about relaxing and taking it easy, not stressing. "When you want to come" - I guess, when you want to arrive? :pac:

Yeppers

Look at some of Lilly Allens lyrics

Sittin in the wet patch, spent ages giving head.

Bit embarrassing if you start singing them on your own too :o

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Yeppers

Look at some of Lilly Allens lyrics

Sittin in the wet patch, spent ages giving head.

Bit embarrassing if you start singing them on your own too :o
    Wow never noticed that song before, I must never have paid attention to the lyrics 'you never make me scream'

• Advertisement

Wow never noticed that song before, I must never have paid attention to the lyrics 'you never make me scream'

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Yeah I looked it up after reading your post, on wiki first and I didnt recognise it so I assumed it must be a b-side or something :o I must have heard it dozens of times and never picked out anything beyond the chorus. This happened to me recently too with Milow's Technology, just heard on a radio it in the background and thought it sounded like a nice pleasant song, I thought the chorus was 'I'm tired of using technology, why dont you sit down and talk with me'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Well, I distinctly remember arguing with friends at the time (in the local castle, with ten smokes we'd somehow managed to get our hands on) that the song was not actually about refraining from biting sweets* at all [I'll get to that] but was in fact actually about 'going to the toilet'. We kept on hearing about it being banned, there was no avoiding that, and from memory that was the only reason we could come up with, in our 11 year old minds.

Oh, the 'sweets' thing...

Well, the song was clearly about Chewits, everyone knew that!

Relax, don't do it, when you wanna suck a Chewit.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

gumbo1 wrote: »
    Blazing saddles! The entire movies gag reel.

I think BS was laughing more at the racists than with them tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Ezer Goode, Ezer Goode, he's Ebenezer Goode...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

Mariah Carey 'Honey'

And it's just like honey
    When your love comes over me
    Honey I can't describe
    How good it feels inside

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Des Cahill has been getting away with it for far too long on RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

When released in the United States, the song caused a minor controversy. However, it managed to reach the top five of the Billboard Hot 100 chart, peaking at No. 4 and at No. 2 on the Billboard Modern Rock Tracks chart, after receiving extensive play on modern rock radio, which was more accepting of the song's subject matter.

Source: Wikipedia

And more recently... Beyoncé! :eek:

"Blow" is a disco-influenced R&B and funk song which has several other musical influences and elements featured in it. It received comparison to songs from the 1970s and 1980s mostly by Prince and Janet Jackson. Lyrically it talks explicitly about oral sex and cunnilingus through heavy innuendo in line with Beyoncé* '​s sexual tone. Following its release, it received positive reviews by music critics who hailed it as one of the most explicit and best songs on the album. Its variety of musical genres and production were also praised as well as Beyoncé's vocal performance. Due to several promotional remixes of the song, "Blow" managed to peak at number one on the US Billboard Hot Dance Club Songs chart without an official release as a single.

Source: Wikipedia

• Registered Users Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Ezer Goode, Ezer Goode, he's Ebenezer Goode...

Got any salmon??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Whitewinged

Peter Gabriel, Sledgehammer was really brilliant.

The lyrics are filled with metaphors for sex. I never noticed when i was younger, i just liked the video.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

Album cover for Hendrix's Electric Ladyland. Great record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

I don't ever remember anyone singing this out loud at the time :o
    Video is risque, even by today's standards

Smidge wrote: »
    I don't ever remember anyone singing this out loud at the time :o
    Video is risque, even by today's standards

"Lets go outside" was another good one he did. Taking the piss out of himself and everyone else!

Rolf Harris (remember him) covered that too. We really do need a sick in my mouth icon.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Wanderly Wagon. The intro alone is something that Ken Kesey and the Merry Pranksters would be proud of. What were they smoking in RTE back then?

Sorry but too many songs keep popping in my head for this thread!

Rape Me by Nirvana

i interpret the lyrics as an anti rape song. I dont know what the reaction was to it but imagine it was controversial

I actually think i need to start listening to some S Club7 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Anyone remember Um Bongo?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Even though this is quite subtle and it doesn't say anything directly at all, I still wonder if any executives at Fox picked up on it:

http://www.11points.com/images/simpsonssigns/sneeds.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Is that some refreshment they used to have in Zaire?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

In the middle of the Congo?

No, never heard of it.

Advertisement