Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How did they get away with that?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

Album cover for Hendrix's Electric Ladyland. Great record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

I don't ever remember anyone singing this out loud at the time :o
    Video is risque, even by today's standards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Whitewinged

Smidge wrote: »
    I don't ever remember anyone singing this out loud at the time :o
    Video is risque, even by today's standards

"Lets go outside" was another good one he did. Taking the piss out of himself and everyone else!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Rolf Harris (remember him) covered that too. We really do need a sick in my mouth icon.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Wanderly Wagon. The intro alone is something that Ken Kesey and the Merry Pranksters would be proud of. What were they smoking in RTE back then?

Sorry but too many songs keep popping in my head for this thread!

Rape Me by Nirvana

i interpret the lyrics as an anti rape song. I dont know what the reaction was to it but imagine it was controversial

I actually think i need to start listening to some S Club7 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,191 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Anyone remember Um Bongo?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Even though this is quite subtle and it doesn't say anything directly at all, I still wonder if any executives at Fox picked up on it:

http://www.11points.com/images/simpsonssigns/sneeds.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Is that some refreshment they used to have in Zaire?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

In the middle of the Congo?

No, never heard of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Actually, in the 80's we just thought it was a cool song, and it made it on to "Now thats what I call Music 2"

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

anyone old enough to remember Rainbow on ITV?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

gumbo1 wrote: »
    Blazing saddles! The entire movies gag reel.

That whole movie!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Oliver's Army by Elvis Costello, still inexplicably doing the rounds on most radio stations.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Oliver's Army by Elvis Costello, still inexplicably doing the rounds on most radio stations.

I think that's because the song uses racial epithets, but to criticise colonial and imperialist attitudes and the conscription of the poorer strata to fight, rather than to attack minorities.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Oliver's Army is totally an attack on war. Amazing song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

One less white ni**ger??

Someone must have gotten pissy about that at some point?

One less white ni**ger??

Doubtless, but for every offended person I think there'd always be many more who got the context.

It was actually censored on BBC Radio a few years ago and there was some outrage as it had never been censored before.
    I'm not sure what their stance on it is at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

One less white ni**ger??

Tbh most people listening to catchy pop songs don't put too much effort in to analysing the meaning. Only do that years later;)
    Anyway according to mr McManus the song was anti war, anti British imperialism following trip to Belfast in 73 seeing young squaddies, working class kids willing to do the dirty work all around the world.
    Term above was a derogatory term used about NI Catholics who apparently modelled civil rights movements on America's black civil rights movements.

I guess Rihanna latest song is an expression of hope that her golden retriever helps her find that fiver she lost.

"Louis 13 and it's all on me, nigga you just bought a shot
    Kamikaze if you think that you gon' knock me off the top
    ****, your wife in the backseat of my brand new foreign car
    Don't act like you forgot, I call the shots, shots, shots
    Like blah, brrap, brrap
    Pay me what you owe me, don't act like you forgot

Bitch better have my money!
    Bitch better have my money!
    Pay me what you owe me
    Bitch better have my (bitch better have my)"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

In the middle of the Congo?

No, never heard of it.

In fairness the auld Um Bongo was 'free from artificial ingredients'.

So it was a bit ahead of it's time really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

A brilliant lyric. The N word? Don't make me puke. Take things in context. I can tell you of many black singers that specify that word (white people are not allowed to use it ........ refer to PC Brigade etc). Do you mean to say that the people who sang along with these lyrics in olden days were racist? Or ignorant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,170 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Anyone mention dire straits yet? Money for nothin....popular mainstream song on tv and radio....here's a verse!

"that little ****** with the earing and the make-up, yeah he's got his own hair, that little ****** got his own jetplane, that little ****** he's a millionaire"

Lol
    *=fagg0t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

Anyone mention dire straits yet? Money for nothin....popular mainstream song on tv and radio....here's a verse!

"that little ****** with the earing and the make-up, yeah he's got his own hair, that little ****** got his own jetplane, that little ****** he's a millionaire"

Lol
    *=fagg0t

And?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

You mean back in the days where comedies were actually classic gold, werent afraid of offending someone or group of people because they just told it as it was and tbh wasnt such a nanny state - lets take care of anyone who wants to come into this country whatever it takes just because - kind of country/world?!

You could watch all the tv shows etc mentioned now and still find them funny, classics! :)

Smack my bitch up, The Prodigy

i think that was banned or they refused to play it when it first came out?

God Save The Queen, The Sex Pistols

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Captain Pugwash had character's called Seaman Staines and Roger the Cabin Boy. Master Mates sounds a bit dodgy as well.
    Master Mate was a character but the first two weren't. The creator of Captain Pugwash won a court case against a few newspapers who had printed these false characters as being in the stories.
    Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Channel 4 have had a series on recently called 'It Was Acceptable In The...'

80s was on the other day, some of the debates on TV, and references to black people were pretty shocking, with them present in both, was pretty shocking.
    That programme also showed Depeche Mode on children's Saturday morning television doing 'Master And Servant, about bondage and sadomasochism. When they finished, the presenter even commented that it probably wasn't appropriate for that time of the day. :D

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    You mean back in the days where comedies were actually classic gold, werent afraid of offending someone or group of people because they just told it as it was and tbh wasnt such a nanny state - lets take care of anyone who wants to come into this country whatever it takes just because - kind of country/world?!

You could watch all the tv shows etc mentioned now and still find them funny, classics! :)

Not quite. I caught a C4 prog a few weeks back. Alright in the 70's or some such. The usual Benny Hill, Dick Emery - Boobs and Bums but innocuous enough.

Then there was a comedy programme in the Doctor at Large series. Arthur Lowe was in it and a couple of younger actors. The Doctors had to pay a periodic visit to a girls school. The "joke" was that Arthur Lowe was too old to keep up with all the nubile young girls. There were other "jokes" that just left me open-mouthed. This was the 70's when most people left school at 16.

This was mainstream family comedy. You could probably still catch it on C4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Smack my bitch up, The Prodigy

I used to think that said "snap my picture, snap my picture".

Ah the innocence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Omackeral wrote: »

Ah the innocence.

I am guessing that you never saw the video for that song!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,422 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Jim Davidson's entire career.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

What about Rainbow, the twangers. My twanger is bigger than your twanger. And Rod and Roger were up banging (their drums) all night. Mary was helping them by playing Rogers flute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

mariaalice wrote: »
    We use to watch Benny Hill with our parents and fall about laughing at the end of the show with the speeded up bit of him chasing women through the bushes.

Dick emery was streets ahead of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Fluffy Cat 88

Got any salmon??

Sorted! Wah ha ha haha!

Anyone remember "Thomas The Tank Engine" - and "The Fat Controller". Can't call people fat anymore. Also, all the Gollywogs were removed from Enid Blytons books.

Omackeral wrote: »

Ah the innocence.

Ah thats cute!

I wasnt really into the song but just looked it up there and i didnt know but its about taking heroin. "Golden Brown" by The Stranglers is much nicer :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,061 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

If any of you lot watched roots you'd be in total shock. What's even more shocking is that Alex Haley stole a fictional story and passed it off as his real family history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

They didn't get away with it. It was banned on BBC Radio 1.

Not that explicit either - it would have gone over children's heads. They would have just assumed it was about relaxing and taking it easy, not stressing. "When you want to come" - I guess, when you want to arrive? :pac:

oh you've burst the bubble:D
    Quazzie wrote: »

Ew, gross, a fist in the head would sort him out, yuck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I was listening to the radio while getting a hair chop and Frankie goes to Hollywood's song Relax came on. The lyrics are "relax don't do it before you want to cum". A bit explicit for the time really.

in holy catholic ireland back in the 80s that went over everyone's head, we all thought it was a song about chillin out :pac: relax & take it easy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Oh my sweet mother f*cking god Quazzie, what the hell is that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

Rolf Harris (remember him) covered that too. We really do need a sick in my mouth icon.

As someone mentioned on YouTube, now it's Barry from E wing singing this to Rolf every night after the lights go out...

The Labyrinth with David Bowie and Jennifer Connolly

I just thought it was a princess kind of story with puppets but its actually a fairly dark movie

Shes only meant to be about 15 and there is a hint of romance between her and the much older david bowie. You can see that in the songs and the play they reenact in the movie. they hint that david bowie is a man that is dating her mam and the whole thing is a fantasy of her dealing with him pursuing and seducing her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

A brilliant lyric. The N word? Don't make me puke. Take things in context. I can tell you of many black singers that specify that word (white people are not allowed to use it ........ refer to PC Brigade etc). Do you mean to say that the people who sang along with these lyrics in olden days were racist? Or ignorant?

It always should be about context, but that's not how it works out.

This is a good example of how words can be misinterpreted by the PC Brigade and actual racists, spoiling the enjoyment of the music/art/entertainment for the majority.

"If there's one thing I would change, it's the title," says Smith, sounding a little weary. "I wrote it when I was still in school and I had no idea that anyone would ever listen to it other than my immediate school friends.

"One of the themes of the song is that everyone's existence is pretty much the same. Everyone lives, everyone dies, our existences are the same. It's as far from a racist song as you can write. It seems though that no one can get past the title and that's incredibly frustrating.

"The fact is it's based on a book that's set in France and deals with the problems of the Algerians, so it was only geographical reasons why it was an Arab and not anyone else."

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭skittles8710

Anneka Rice and her treasure hunt camel toe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,203 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Anneka Rice and her treasure hunt camel toe.

Wow! :pac:

I wasn't expecting the end of that sentence, I thought it was going to be about the camera man having the camera trained on her arse throughout the whole thing! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,464 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I'm not surprised considering he sang about two little boys and tying a Kangaroo down!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,170 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

pavb2 wrote: »
    Reminds me of a guy at school just as punk hit the streets, his parents were very middle class, conservative and he knew they wouldn't approve of Him purchasing it so he bought the album Never Mind the B*****ks by the Sex Pistols and mailed it to himself saying he'd won it in a radio phone in competition.

Their single God save the queen was banned not sure how many others were.

Their song "bodies" off the same album is one of the most powerful songs ever written and rarely gets a mention...about Pauline and her foetus

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Any others spring to mind?
    Summer of sixty nine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Not quite. I caught a C4 prog a few weeks back. Alright in the 70's or some such. The usual Benny Hill, Dick Emery - Boobs and Bums but innocuous enough.

Then there was a comedy programme in the Doctor at Large series. Arthur Lowe was in it and a couple of younger actors. The Doctors had to pay a periodic visit to a girls school. The "joke" was that Arthur Lowe was too old to keep up with all the nubile young girls. There were other "jokes" that just left me open-mouthed. This was the 70's when most people left school at 16.

This was mainstream family comedy. You could probably still catch it on C4.
    I saw this exact episode on ITV3 a few weeks ago. The main character managed to repulse the advances of the girls and ended up swapping the position with his sleazy mate.

I saw this exact episode on ITV3 a few weeks ago. The main character managed to repulse the advances of the girls and ended up swapping the position with his sleazy mate.

Yes - I was just gobsmacked about how that was ever funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

Yeah I looked it up after reading your post, on wiki first and I didnt recognise it so I assumed it must be a b-side or something :o I must have heard it dozens of times and never picked out anything beyond the chorus. This happened to me recently too with Milow's Technology, just heard on a radio it in the background and thought it sounded like a nice pleasant song, I thought the chorus was 'I'm tired of using technology, why dont you sit down and talk with me'

Ha, my dad is in his 50's and sings a bit, usually Irish songs. He'd heard Lloyd 'Dedication to my ex" but only the clean version and was walking around singing it for a few days before someone mentioned that they were surprised he'd be singing about missing some wan's "pussy."

• Advertisement
Advertisement