Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US college course bans the words 'male' and 'female'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

Old Jakey wrote: »
    What sort of job did they think they were going to get? Privilege inspector? Patriarchy investigator?

I don't know.

If you think about it, the average person is 17 when they enter a college course. Perhaps a rebellious "phase" ended up with a four year commitment. By they time they're 21/22 they have this useless degree which only affords them some authority on Tumblr and certain enclaves of Reddit.

So they pontificate and rant about how women are discriminated in STEM fields (despite being paid more in entry level and actively head-hunted over men) despite never learning so much as a single programming language themselves.

They start their own mini campaigns and raise Twitter armies. They muster some cash on crowd funding websites. They blog, vlog and tweet their way to clickbait fandom.

In the end we have a bunch of people with the sides of their head shaved telling us we should be sorry for having a penis and pale skin.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

What are the stats on population of the USA for Transgender for example ? And undocumented means Illegal as one is illegally in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Wibbs wrote: »
    Just call everybody "it", be grand.
    I read it as "referring to women/men as females or males, instead of women/men which is preferred"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

bluewolf wrote: »
    the USA is a bit mental sometimes

Unfortunately it is far from limited to the US.
    Sweden's 'gender-neutral' pre-school

Some have called it "gender madness", but the Egalia pre-school in Stockholm says its goal is to free children from social expectations based on their sex.

On the surface, the school in Sodermalm - a well-to-do district of the Swedish capital - seems like any other. But listen carefully and you'll notice a big difference.

The teachers avoid using the pronouns "him" and "her" when talking to the children.

Instead they refer to them as "friends", by their first names, or as "hen" - a genderless pronoun borrowed from Finnish.

The books have been carefully selected to avoid traditional presentations of gender and parenting roles.

So, out with the likes of Sleeping Beauty and Cinderella, and in with, for example, a book about two giraffes who find an abandoned baby crocodile and adopt it.

Sweden takes gender issues seriously, and for a number of years now, the government has been taking its battle to the playground.

Gender advisers are now common in schools, and it is part of the national curriculum to work against discrimination of all kinds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

WHEN WILL THE MADNESS END!!!

* sits in the corner and rocks back and forth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Mourinho

What I find funny about the current trends to increasingly find offence and ban/remove words, phrases, etc to avoid "discrimination" and all that malarky, is its just as disgustingly facist and oppressive as what they deem to be correcting.

Banning and removing the term male/female, Swedens bollox about making terms gender neutral as male & female is somehow discriminatory and whatever other dreamt up malarkey they have to justify these BS jobs such as Gender Officer and that.

Seriously someone finds the term male/female oppressive and offending "oh I know lets ban and dictate to others what they can and cannot say from now on!, thats so progressive!"

Eh no you ****wits, your the types that bang on about oppressive fascists, how you are so tolerant, your not, your the exact ****ing same but somehow have deluded yourselves into thinking its ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Abe Maslow would be really breaking his hole laughing if he was still around. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Lirange

It's probably easier just to get rid of these silly courses "Comparative studies into the art of spoofing" is more like it.

Sounds like a course at Greendale.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 OiL RiG

What sort of job did they think they were going to get? Privilege inspector? Patriarchy investigator?
    Sweden's 'gender-neutral' pre-school

Some have called it "gender madness", but the Egalia pre-school in Stockholm says its goal is to free children from social expectations based on their sex.

On the surface, the school in Sodermalm - a well-to-do district of the Swedish capital - seems like any other. But listen carefully and you'll notice a big difference.

The teachers avoid using the pronouns "him" and "her" when talking to the children.

Instead they refer to them as "friends", by their first names, or as "hen" - a genderless pronoun borrowed from Finnish.

The books have been carefully selected to avoid traditional presentations of gender and parenting roles.

So, out with the likes of Sleeping Beauty and Cinderella, and in with, for example, a book about two giraffes who find an abandoned baby crocodile and adopt it.

Sweden takes gender issues seriously, and for a number of years now, the government has been taking its battle to the playground.

Gender advisers are now common in schools, and it is part of the national curriculum to work against discrimination of all kinds.

Not far off :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

In Sweden they created a new gender neutral word, 'hen'. They're brainwashing children into using it.

Then again this is Sweden we're talking about, a country where men are discouraged from urinating standing up because it's oppressive.

They'll get a surprise if they ever go to Tyneside..."Alreet hen?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

What about my right to be called a man?
    The trouble with rights is everybody has them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

kneemos wrote: »
    What about my right to be called a man?

You're just a damn dirty ape, with your stinking paws and everything :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

This is my solution for America based on the plot of the film The Quick And The Dead.
    Every day gun owners have to have a shoot-out man v man; woman v woman (or whatever are the acceptable gender words).
    Keep having shoot-outs until there is only one gun owner left.
    It should take about three weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

This whole think stinks of a bad marketing campaign.

"Quick, lets do something that will draw attention to us so people with look at the societal norms and conform to our way of thinking!"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

This is obviously nuts.

Unfortunately some sections do use male/female to almost dehumanise people "Females act like X", "You can't trust males", that kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,235 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Only weirdos do courses like those, and those that teach them are mentally ill

Actually, a course like this could be very good if it was taught in a rational and non soap-boxy way

The way popular culture treats men and women and people with disabilities and the various sexual preferences and races etc is a hugely important social topic that is genuinely worthwhile to study and understand

But when it's being taught by someone who sets the rules at the outset that limits how the students are allowed to think about these issues then it's clearly going to be a terrible course.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

For fex ake. Some mammals ARE female, some are male. In fact, most are.

If I'm writing about foxes, I call them the Dog Fox and the Vixen, etc or I might say "a female" if I'm not sure whether it is a mother fox, an "aunt" or a young female oops sorry!

An' if you're going to study the behaviour of a species, you're going to have to mention this at some point, I think. Even if they're only plants. For FEX ake!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Life imitating fiction. Gotta love the intellectual fraud that is deconstructionism. Scary thing is that this is the brand of feminism that Ireland seems to want to ape.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Mourinho wrote: »
    What I find funny about the current trends to increasingly find offence and ban/remove words, phrases, etc to avoid "discrimination" and all that malarky, is its just as disgustingly facist and oppressive as what they deem to be correcting.
    I think it was Winston Churchill who reckoned that in the future fascism would come from the Left.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭zeffabelli

What's next? Banning Romance languages for the offensive use of gendered vocabulary?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,235 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

zeffabelli wrote: »
    What's next? Banning Romance languages for the offensive use of gendered vocabulary?

If only, that gendered vocabulary is Bullsh1t

me - "Hey miss, is 'Cabanon' la or le?"

Teacher "I don't feckin know just call it whatever"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Akrasia wrote: »
    Actually, a course like this could be very good if it was taught in a rational and non soap-boxy way

The way popular culture treats men and women and people with disabilities and the various sexual preferences and races etc is a hugely important social topic that is genuinely worthwhile to study and understand

But when it's being taught by someone who sets the rules at the outset that limits how the students are allowed to think about these issues then it's clearly going to be a terrible course.

I'm afraid you're just adding to the hilarity there chief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭zeffabelli

Until parents stop paying 35,000 a year for this crap, it will never change.

I know I won't pay for it. I would refuse to pay for attendance in the humanities at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

New Guidelines:

Organism A (Male)

Organism A1 (Female, because to suggest Organism B would be derogatory and imply a woman is below / next in line to a male. Please reference Page 12, paragraph 3 about the use of the alphabet in front of others.)

Please adhere to trigger warning guidelines before speaking about organisms for those who don't identify as living beings or of a molecular structure.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Can't we all just be Purple Penguins?

strelok wrote: »
    freedom of speech is what prevents the government from shutting this down and as retarded as these feminists are, them being able to display their retardation so publicly is what makes america brilliant

If we are "brilliantly displayed" by the words we use, you might ponder your own "retard this, retard that" effort.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

If we are "brilliantly displayed" by the words we use, you might ponder your own "retard this, retard that" effort.

i guess it was kind of retarded of me

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Better stop using the words fool, imbecile, cretin among many others in common usage that were medical terms in the past. We can wrap ourselves up in knots trying to be "politically correct" when it comes to language.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

In her course notes, which you can read here
    Its Notes wrote:
    Identify areas of systemic and institutionalized racism, prejudice, misogyny, classism, sexism, and discriminatory practices in the casting, production, distribution, and reception of various media samples, and
    make connections to your personal experiences.
    Irony grabbed its coat and left the party.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    Better stop using the words fool, imbecile, cretin among many others in common usage that were medical terms in the past. We can wrap ourselves up in knots trying to be "politically correct" when it comes to language.

Not sure any of them really come with the same connotations as "retard". But if they do, meh, I can live without them.

Avoiding words like "retard", or similarly "spastic" doesn't tie me up in knots.

Advertisement