Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US college course bans the words 'male' and 'female'

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

If we can't say 'male' and 'female' how about a compromise, we say 'my nigga' and 'ho' instead? Seems fair in the PC crazy world we live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,681 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

orubiru wrote: »
    Instead a lot of young folks seem to be raised to call "foul" at every single thing they see as incorrect or not progressive enough. I think that most of us in western society are progressive. A lot of people just seem to want to take it to extremes. Eventually this gets to the point that some people are "testing the water" to see whether or not they might be able ban certain words.

How far are these people willing to go? How likely is it that their campaigns or crusades could be hijacked by people who just want to do damage?

If there are people out there honestly suggesting that words like "male" and "female" be banned then what happens if that gets pushed through? What is the punishment for using a banned word? How is guilt established?

I was reading an article recently about drag queens, and I came across the word "herstory". I struggled to understand the context for a minute, until I figured out the author was bastardising the word history!!

When it gets to that level of ridiculous, there's not much point in reading any further :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

NI24 wrote: »
    Ooooh touched a nerve I see. Gotta love how those who have nothing but speculation on their side become increasingly frustrated when called out on it. Fitting into that neoconservative mold more and more as the posts roll on. Btw, feel free to supply the list of colleges you spoke of earlier.

Neo-conservatism is an American ideology. It's generally involved with invading the Middle East on behalf of the Israeli "alliance". It's nothing to do with America's SJW ideologies which are in fact designed to hide American power. In fact neo-conservatives can be liberal in everything except killing middle easterners.

There are no neo-conservatives in Ireland. It's a different country.

Edit : I was wrong. There's at least one America F*ck yeh on boards. Jank by name. Never in real life have I met one.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'm still trying to get my head around how a "Moroccan buffet" has anything to do with one's sexuality. Da fuq? :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭zeffabelli

Wibbs wrote: »
    I'm still trying to get my head around how a "Moroccan buffet" has anything to do with one's sexuality. Da fuq? :D

She got the quote wrong....ignore.

• Advertisement

orubiru wrote: »
    I agree that equality needs to be discussed more often and that we need to start looking at providing people with equal opportunities. We especially need to help provide poorer or less able people with chances to become productive members of society.

I think that society in general was well on the way to this and that most people understand that discriminating against someone or abusing someone because of their skin color or gender or whatever is unacceptable.

For example, in most western countries it would be illegal to pay a male employee more than a female employee if the reasoning for that pay gap is that he is male. In fact, almost any company you could work for these days will have specific criteria for determining your pay and none of that will be related to your gender or race.

I would have thought that everything was going really really well.

Where you have a problem is when you indoctrinate people into this "chip on the shoulder" culture and they then spend most of their time "fighting" things that they perceive as injustice. If you are telling young women that "men have always oppressed women, you need to break the patriarchy" then it's probably not healthy for them. If you are telling young people of colour that "White Men have all the privileges in this society and you should so everything you can to break white male supremacy" then they are likely to have some issues when they reach adulthood. You should really be teaching them to create opportunities for themselves and be successful.

Instead a lot of young folks seem to be raised to call "foul" at every single thing they see as incorrect or not progressive enough. I think that most of us in western society are progressive. A lot of people just seem to want to take it to extremes. I'm thinking of footballers hitting the ground at the slightest touch and rolling around while their teammates surround the referee looking for a yellow, or red, card. Eventually this gets to the point that some people are "testing the water" to see whether or not they might be able ban certain words.

How far are these people willing to go? How likely is it that their campaigns or crusades could be hijacked by people who just want to do damage?

If there are people out there honestly suggesting that words like "male" and "female" be banned then what happens if that gets pushed through? What is the punishment for using a banned word? How is guilt established?

If I am a old straight rich white male taking a class at a US college 10 years from now, how am I likely to be treated?

If I had an 18 year old son Id refuse to pay for a humanities education as it stands now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Still, "Moroccan buffet" should be a sexual preference. Of what kind I'm not sure, but it sounds dirty.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Still, "Moroccan buffet" should be a sexual preference. Of what kind I'm not sure, but it sounds dirty.
    You're clearly Islamophobic...

It was in a LL thread about the exchange and commodification of affections/interest in a dating/buy a drink context.

What I said was my sexuality is not a table at a Morrican market, where everything is about haggling and exchange. I never mentioned buffet tables.

Anyone who knows anything about Moroccan bartering would get this. My friend was offered six sheep for his girlfriend!

Buffet tables have nothing to do with this. Although you've given me some food for thought.... Will get back to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭orubiru

NI24 wrote: »
    I'd be careful of accusing anyone of narcissism when one describes their sexuality as a "not a Moroccan buffet". Or criticizing anyone while using terms such as "consensual reality" while lambasting the use of therapy terms in government.

So my understanding here is that you are taking something someone has said on another thread then completely misunderstanding it and then trying to use it to make a point against that person on this thread?

I wonder if someone might consider this behavior SJW-esque?

• Advertisement

zeffabelli wrote: »
    If I had an 18 year old son Id refuse to pay for a humanities education as it stands now.

Seriously though, is it actually gone that bad, or are these just examples of extremism, at the extreme end of the scale, amplified by the proliferation of the internet?

I always think of this clip when I read some of these nutbar stories like the example given in the OP -

Do extremists really have any real-world influence? I personally don't think they do tbh, they're far too much idealism and no action, always pointing out problems, but never coming up with any feasible solutions, because their thinking is far too insular.

Seriously though, is it actually gone that bad, or are these just examples of extremism, at the extreme end of the scale, amplified by the proliferation of the internet?

I always think of this clip when I read some of these nutbar stories like the example given in the OP -

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/06/10/living/seinfeld-comedy-colleges-feat/
    Do extremists really have any real-world influence? I personally don't think they do tbh, they're far too much idealism and no action, always pointing out problems, but never coming up with any feasible solutions, because their thinking is far too insular.

Yes. Comedians won't go to campuses anymore.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

So, on the basis of a policy instituted by one lecturer, in a college in the USA, in a Gender Studies class, you wouldn't pay for a humanities degree?

Jesus fucking wept. The 'it's PC gone mad' circlejerk here, I knew it was bad, but I hadn't realised it was THAT bad. It's a gender studies class. Thinking about gender in different ways is the entire fucking point of the class. If people are going to bicker about the inapplicability of 'neoconservative' in an Irish context, why don't they bicker about the inapplicability of what's going on in this class in any context other than that class, especially in Ireland.

andrew wrote: »
    So, on the basis of a policy instituted by one lecturer, in a college in the USA, in a Gender Studies class, you wouldn't pay for a humanities degree?

Jesus fucking wept. The 'it's PC gone mad' circlejerk here, I knew it was bad, but I hadn't realised it was THAT bad. It's a gender studies class. Thinking about gender in different ways is the entire fucking point of the class. If people are going to bicker about the inapplicability of 'neoconservative' in an Irish context, why don't they bicker about the inapplicability of what's going on in this class in any context other than that class, especially in Ireland.

No. Not on the basis of one, on the basis of the vast majority of them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

No. Not on the basis of one, on the basis of the vast majority of them.

Vast majority? So far greater than 50% of humanities lecturers in the US have policies which do things like ban the words male and female?
    Any evidence to back that one up? I highly doubt it. Bear in mind that humanities is quite a general field too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Because the nature of Empire is we follow Empire and ten years will be enough to follow this trend. Look at the morons with hipster beards direct from Portland or the rise of Cis-Genderism.

Vast majority? So far greater than 50% of humanities lecturers in the US have policies which do things like ban the words male and female?
    Any evidence to back that one up? I highly doubt it. Bear in mind that humanities is quite a general field too.

I do not have to justify my decisions to you.

Because the nature of Empire is we follow Empire and ten years will be enough to follow this trend. Look at the morons with hipster beards direct from Portland or the rise of Cis-Genderism.

I wish. Then we'd all be able to load up on guns and have abortions, or both at the same time even :cool:.
    I do not have to justify my decisions to you.

I'll take that to mean 'I can't justify my decisions.' Alrighty then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

The 'it's PC gone mad' circlejerk here

One might even say it's 'PC gone mad' gone mad. :)

Links234 wrote: »
    One might even say it's 'PC gone mad' gone mad. :)

WE'RE THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS HERE PEOPLE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭SeanW

They pretty much run Sweden ...

I wish. Then we'd all be able to load up on guns and have abortions, or both at the same time even :cool:.
    Yup. American cultural extremes rarely enough translate beyond their shores. Hell they rarely transmit beyond the hipster and academic enclaves on the coasts in America itself. The vast majority of Americans who aren't easily "triggered" college kids with orange hair and patchy beards go on with their lives without any of this nonsense penetrating very much at all. Even in colleges they'd be the minority.

The interwebs, social media and general media gives us the idea that these eejits have more traction and power than they actually do. Now that can be dodgy, because they can appear to drum up large scale support for their nonsense on the same social media(and mainstream media as it's a clickbait haven for them and heaven for advertisers). QV the scientist's shirt and the sacking of the UK professor. However that's still minority stuff, unless you happen to be the poor bastard it's aimed at. Same deal with the extremist "PUA/MGTOWLOL/mens rights" types.
    SeanW wrote: »
    They really don't. Ask any Swede.

SeanW wrote: »

Sweden isn't at all an example of a country anything close to being run by extremists. I can think of many countries in the world with extremist regimes, but Sweden definitely isn't one of them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

The interwebs, social media and general media gives us the idea that these eejits have more traction and power than they actually do. Now that can be dodgy, because they can appear to drum up large scale support for their nonsense on the same social media(and mainstream media as it's a clickbait haven for them and heaven for advertisers). QV the scientist's shirt and the sacking of the UK professor. However that's still minority stuff, unless you happen to be the poor bastard it's aimed at. Same deal with the extremist "PUA/MGTOWLOL/mens rights" types.

remember the protein world advertisement 'scandal'? article after article about the almighty feminist rage, vandalism being touted as protest, all the celebratory back slapping about the upcoming protest gathering in some london park. ****ing 20 people turned up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

The interwebs, social media and general media gives us the idea that these eejits have more traction and power than they actually do
    Like on this very thread. "Vast majority of humanities courses are like this", "comedians don't go to campuses anymore" without even a hint of back-up.

I think some folk actually *want* this rubbish to be enforced on people's day to day lives - they enjoy acting as if it is. I never ever ever encounter it day to day.

It's like the obsession with going on about "SJWs" even when not referring to SJWs at all.

Like on this very thread. "Vast majority of humanities courses are like this", "comedians don't go to campuses anymore" without even a hint of back-up.

I think some folk actually *want* this rubbish to be enforced on people's day to day lives - they enjoy acting as if it is. I never ever ever encounter it day to day.

It's like the obsession with going on about "SJWs" even when not referring to SJWs at all.

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/06/10/living/seinfeld-comedy-colleges-feat/

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-war-against-humanities-2013-6?IR=T

I think some folk actually *want* this rubbish to be enforced on people's day to day lives - they enjoy acting as if it is.
    I think it gives people a frisson of incredulity, like Daily Mail articles. They're designed to raise people's ire because people get enjoyment of a sort from it. Scary haired "feminists" get a similar pleasure from their rantings. Most people don't give a toss.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

strelok wrote: »
    remember the protein world advertisement 'scandal'? article after article about the almighty feminist rage, vandalism being touted as protest, all the celebratory back slapping about the upcoming protest gathering in some london park. ****ing 20 people turned up.
    True, the manufacturer must have been laughing all the way to the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,560 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I think some folk actually *want* this rubbish to be enforced on people's day to day lives - they enjoy acting as if it is.
    This is so true.

• Advertisement

Advertisement