Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US college course bans the words 'male' and 'female'

Options
  • 30-08-2015 10:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭

Two college programmes at Washington State University in the US have introduced a set of strict guidelines on what their students can and can't say.

One is “Women & Popular Culture”, taught by Professor Selena Lester Breikss. In her course notes, which you can read here, it states
    Gross generalizations, stereotypes, and derogatory/oppressive language are not acceptable. Use of racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic, xenophobic, classist, or generally offensive language in class or submission of such material will not be tolerated. (This includes “The Man,” “Colored People,” “Illegals/Illegal Aliens,” “Tranny” and so on - or referring to women/men as females or males)

I'm not quite sure why “the Man” is banned either, but there we have it.

Another course, called “Introduction to Comparative Ethics Studies”, and taught by Professor Rebecca Fowler, does encourage the use of “male”, if prefixed by the word “white”. This is to be used instead of “the white man”.

For more, see here.
    A Note on [In]appropriate Terminology: Don’t use it.
    • Not “colored” person/s/people but “people of color.”
    Not “the white man” but “white men,” “white males,” or “white society”
    • Not “illegal alien” or “illegals” but “undocumented” migrants/immigrants/persons. Note that the Associated Press (AP) has determined not to use it: ‘The Stylebook no longer sanctions the term “illegal immigrant” or the use of “illegal” to describe a person. Instead, it tells users that “illegal” should describe only an action, such as living in or immigrating to a country illegally.’
    • If you use the above terms in your writing, your grade will suffer a deduction of one point per incident.

Honestly, it's hard to keep up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,869 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Meh

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

That will not take long to get torn down. Freedom of speech in the old USA.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

freedom of speech is what prevents the government from shutting this down and as retarded as these feminists are, them being able to display their retardation so publicly is what makes america brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 16,405 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Referring to people as male or female is a hate crime. HATE CRIMES!!!!!

Glazers Out!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

the USA is a bit mental sometimes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Imagine calling someone the gender they are, how er... disrespectful..

It's probably easier just to get rid of these silly courses "Comparative studies into the art of spoofing" is more like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Boring username

It was this sort of shyte that provoked the murder of two journalists during the week.

http://nypost.com/2015/08/28/reporters-everyday-comments-deemed-racist-by-on-air-killer/

• Registered Users Posts: 40,869 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It's an outrage Joe

AN OUTrage

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 16,405 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

bluewolf wrote: »
    the USA is a bit mental

FYP

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

It's an outrage Joe

AN OUTrage

Well no...

Just stupidity really

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

When will this madness end?

When will this madness end?

When we finally make SJW's an endangered species.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Heard it said today that if Back To The Future were made accurately then the 2015 that they travelled to in the movie would just be people with their faces buried in their phones and constantly taking offence at everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Well its pretty ridiculous..but its just one cooky professor who implemented this ban isn't it..so what can you do
    Don't think its a sign of any upcoming trend or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Edit: I'm actually thinking of a different case entirely...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 salt of the earth

Only weirdos do courses like those, and those that teach them are mentally ill

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Links234 wrote: »
    gender-neutral pronouns.
    Heads up folks, if you see the words "gender-neutral pronoun" in anything, be sure that what follows is either worrying and/or hilarious. Just call everybody "it", be grand.
    TL;DR: It's a whole pile of bull****
    Oh that it is. The link is worthy of the Onion. :pac:

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Heads up folks, if you see the words "gender-neutral pronoun" in anything, be sure that what follows is either worrying and/or hilarious. Just call everybody "it", be grand.

Oh that it is. The link is worthy of the Onion. :pac:

Lol I can imagine the outrage calling a feminist "it" I don't think it would be acceptable some how.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 436 ✭✭Old Jakey

Links234 wrote: »
    Edit: I'm actually thinking of a different case entirely...

I read that link. Holy **** they actually want people to use made up pronouns like 'ze' and 'xir'. I'm dying laughing here!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

Gender-neutral pronouns...Jesus wept. I'm sorry I read that thing now.

• Advertisement

Only weirdos do courses like those, and those that teach them are mentally ill

Agreed. Imagine getting thousand dollars into debt for a useless 'gender studies' degree. What are they thinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

I think that acceptance and being open to different genders etc... is important. However, when it comes to using "male" to describe a man, it's pretty accurate. Like 99.93% accurate.

We cant tip toe around the fact that most people born with a penis are men. And most people born with a vagina are women.

Ever week it seems like just when I've caught up with all this I'm suddenly an ignorant racist, sexist, homophobic pig.

I just want to live and chill. :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

"We abhor the labelling of people, so we'll introduce many more". Here's a possible new label/pronoun for ye; Gobshítes.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Old Jakey wrote: »
    Agreed. Imagine getting thousand dollars into debt for a useless 'gender studies' degree. What are they thinking?

When they can't get a job, at least they have an informed opinion and can accurately blame "white male patriarchy".

Gender-neutral pronouns...Jesus wept. I'm sorry I read that thing now.

In Sweden they created a new gender neutral word, 'hen'. They're brainwashing children into using it.

Then again this is Sweden we're talking about, a country where men are discouraged from urinating standing up because it's oppressive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

I love that tumblr is leaking more and more into the real world

:feminst jazz hands:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,681 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Old Jakey wrote: »
    I read that link. Holy **** they actually want people to use made up pronouns like 'ze' and 'xir'. I'm dying laughing here!

You will refer to me by my appropriated otherkin assigned pronoun or, or, I shall tweet you to death! :pac:

Anyone who actually takes this stuff seriously is just as bad as the people who expect anyone to actually take it seriously!

Wibbs wrote: »
    "We abhor the labelling of people, so we'll introduce many more". Here's a possible new label/pronoun for ye; Gobshítes.

I would fight for "Gbsht." to be introduced as an enforced, mandatory official honorific for these types.

Fukuyama wrote: »
    When they can't get a job, at least they have an informed opinion and can accurately blame "white male patriarchy".

What sort of job did they think they were going to get? Privilege inspector? Patriarchy investigator?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

The sooner that f8cking asteroid hits us, the better.

Advertisement