Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heating oil big drop

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,663 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Bit the bullet on corrib oil yesterday, €625 for 500L

• Registered Users Posts: 5,674 ✭✭✭obi604

When is the new carbon tax being applied?

I guess this will wipe out any drops when applied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭horse7

Think the Nora has been frozen in the budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭Helium

Just got 500L for €598 from Certa, formerly Campus oil and others. Code WRK30 brings it down from €613

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

There's no NORA levy on home heating oils.

The carbon tax increase on fossil home heating fuels is normally applied on May 1st of the following year.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

Their website is utterly dogshite. Managed to get an order in after a few attempts. Cheers for the code.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭jkforde

Anyone in Galway beating RightPriceOil at €1219 for 1000l kero? source oilprices.ie

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

"Since I no longer expect anything from mankind except madness, meanness, and mendacity; egotism, cowardice, and self-delusion, I have stopped being a misanthrope." Irving Layton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭JPA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,105 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Certa all over the shop. Was 675 yesterday night . Wicklow. Now it's the above price with a discount applied 598

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭honda boi

Ye was under 600€ for 500itres for me yesterday.

Up to €610 today so I bit the bullet as prices are increasing again

• Advertisement

There was no carbon tax announced for home heating oil that I'm aware of

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭Buffman

He left it a bit ambiguous in his speech, he didn't say if the NORA levy is being reduced to 0 for everything or just motor petrol and diesel.

His speech:

"Carbon Tax

The rate per tonne of carbon dioxide emitted for petrol and diesel will go up from €41 to €48.50 from 12 October as per the trajectory set out in the Finance Act 2020.

This will mean that there will be an increase of just over two cent VAT inclusive per litre of petrol and diesel.

However, I also recognise the sharp cost of living challenges currently being faced by society, so the government is therefore proposing to offset this carbon tax increase with a reduction to zero of the National Oil Reserves Agency (NORA) levy.

The NORA levy which is collected at a rate of 2 cent per litre (VAT exclusive) will help offset the carbon tax increase which means that the price at the pump will not go up as a result of taxes or levies"

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Bit the bullet and ordered 300 litres for €379 in Wexford today.

I just saw this on https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/tax/motor_carbon_other_taxes/carbon_tax.html so presumably that includes home heating oil going up on 1st May next and no corresponding reduction in NORA levy.

"Budget 2023

It was announced that Carbon Tax will increase by €7.50 per tonne of carbon dioxide emitted, from €41.00 to €48.50. This applies from 12 October 2022 for auto fuels but will be offset by a levy reduction so that it will not result in a price increase. For all other fuels, the carbon tax will increase from 1 May 2023."

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭seanin4711

serious profiteering by oil companies and governments so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭tech

are we looking at prices coming down anytime soon ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Glebee

They have been dropping slowly for the last month but cant see them ever going back to what they were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I'd imagine the best we can hope for is €1 euro per litre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭screamer

There’s a few more cent to go for oil drops yet. But I would think that demand will start rising which may well negate or even push prices the other way. I’m going to order in the next 3 days and take my chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,309 ✭✭✭✭muffler

It seems OPEQ are reducing the output and this has added 4 dollars to the cost of a barrel today. Not a good sign.

Yep, the Saudis seem to be backing the Russians on the Ukraine war, they meet in Vienna tomorrow to discuss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,105 ✭✭✭✭listermint

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭testtech05

A local depot told my father today that their prices will be going up tomorrow so it doesn't look like it will take long to come through, as usual with some suppliers when there is an increase

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

3% cashback via Revolut app for Mr Oil Carlow, Kilkenny,Wexford.

Current price for 1,000ltrs is €1,227 so a savings of €30 plus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭screamer

Yep I did, 750 litres for 907. That’s the best price it’s been here for a long time. Weather getting colder and advancing towards Christmas will see a bump in demand anyways so I’d say it’s up and up now. Whoever thought kerosene would cost more in august than October, nuts the way things have gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭ablelocks

just ordered 500l kerosene - €1.29 a litre. It went up 3c last night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Glebee

500L up 20euro from yesterday in Corrib Oil brings it to 645euro. First rise since 30th Aug when it was 700euro for 500L having dropped to 625euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭monseiur

TOP Oil 500L. kero. €625.00 + €10.00 coupon, with the coupon you'll get €10.00 off fill of petrol/diesel (at TOP filling stations obviously !) Coupon offer valid until end of month.

For anyone close by to it, Kerosene pump price at Casey's Circle K in Roscommon town was €1.20/l this morning when I was passing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭nhg

Got 831L Kerosene for €1047.13 (€1.26 inc vat per litre) delivered Monday and 753L tractor diesel for €948.84 (€1.26 inc vat per litre) delivered from Unecol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Ordered 500L kero last night @ €1.23 , and a €15 discount.

So, €610 for 500L.

Prices climbing today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

How does the €10 off petrol/diesel work? How much do you have to buy to get €10 off or is there a max amount of fuel?

Details Here €10 OFF petrol/diesel when you order home heating oil | Top Oil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

No surprise there. They are both as bad as each other.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭con747

I notice all the suppliers here put a price hike on today after yesterdays meeting. Nothing to do with that though I'm sure because they wouldn't do that.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Yep, those home heating oil sellers who say "the world has gone mad, and 'tis terrible indeed" delighted Saudi backing Russia.

saudi are only backing themselves - oil fell to $80 a barrel from €120 or so and dropping production is the fastest way to get the price back up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭enricoh

Ordered yesterday 1.18 for kero n 1.31 for green per 1000l in Meath. Was 1.20 on cheapest oil website but when I rang to order yer man said 1.18. getting it tomorrow so I'll see if that ends up on the docket!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭P2C

I got the tank filled. 756 litres for €929 today. Top oil with the Autumn 22 discount and got a €10 fuel voucher. Sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭bars

1196e for 1000 litres with WRK30 voucher, Certa Wexford

• Advertisement

From the point of view of human rights etc yes but the Saudis were previously thought to have been allies of the yanks so a small amount of surprise here

Agreed that they are more than likely just backing themselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭Kilough

Who was this with if you don't mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Debub

€1270 for 1000L, €650 for 500L and €403 for 300L in West Cork €15 off with code TRIA15

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

I think I should put some posts on daily repeat. It is dreadfully easy to see what direction prices are going in and the margins for the distributors are miniscule. And if you simply look at the charts you will see swings up and down like a yo yo, but very much an upswing at present

So I'll repeat again - and show how there will be a fair jump in the next few days to well over €1300 at the very lowest.

Kerosene = Oil price + REFINING price + rate of exchange (divide by 159 litres in a barrel) + carbon tax + NORA + vat. The rest (ex vat) is distribution & retail

There may be a slight bonus from Wednesday as NORA is cut to zero and the higher carbon tax on kerosene doesn't take effect until May, but that will only temper the increase about to hit due to the refining going to $55 this week, oil jumping to to $97 today and the dollar stuck under €0.98c/$1.

It's really that simple. So using a calculator we are at 98c cost from refinery at todays pricing + 12 c NORA & Carbon = €1.10. + 13.5% vat = €1.25. That's before one cent for distribution & retail - lets give them 13c combined (+vat @ 13.5%) and you are at €1395

Basically if you can buy at €1250 for 1,000 litres or under €640 for 500L you will be doing well.

Here's links to the verification of prices

Caron tax rate - https://www.revenue.ie/en/companies-and-charities/excise-and-licences/excise-duty-rates/mineral-oil-tax.aspx

US Dollar https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/EURUSD%3DX?p=EURUSD%3DX

Refining margins (diesel & kero are near identical fuels) https://www.neste.com/investors/market-data/oil-product-margins#1c2a9653

Brent oil https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/BZ=F?

Thank you so much for educating us poor idiots once again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

at least I give the reasoning and show why and how the prices are moving and not just spouting some barstool rubbish.

I said a couple of weeks ago it would move towards €1200 (which it did) and I'm saying today it is going to very rapidly move close to €1400 and have given the live links to show how that is borne out.

I think you mean lecturing.

• Advertisement

There was a guy posting on this thread last year, Darc19. Don't suppose you know him by any chance?

anyhow he was making the same "factual" predictions and he was good . .. according to himself. He even predicted a date last December that oil prices would fall and I know it's hard to believe but as it turned out he was wrong! Prices went up. He hasn't been seen since, well not using that account anyhow.

Advertisement